Help Nathan Fillion buy "Firefly"?

Old 02-18-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Help Nathan Fillion buy "Firefly"?

Interesting:

http://helpnathanbuyfirefly.com/

http://geeksofdoom.com/2011/02/17/at...ce-to-save-it/

“If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to Firefly, make it on my own, and distribute it on the Internet,” says Nathan.

I'm all for anything that results in more Firefly but would Nathan really want to be indebted to fans, who at the first sign of a story they didn't like, start crying about what's 'owed' to them? But still an amusing thought! I'd probably donate a few bucks.
Old 02-18-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help Nathan Fillion buy "Firefly"?

I'm all for it, but if Serenity itself couldn't generate more than $25M in it's run in theaters, I don't have much hope for a "donation plan." Count me in, though. Hell, if I won the lottery, I think I'd do the same. (Especially if the rights could be had for much less, which is likely, considering Terminator was only $30M).
Old 02-18-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

FF could be had for $1M at most.
Old 02-18-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

He should offer Whedon the same 10k that Whedon offered for Terminator.
Old 02-18-11, 10:01 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
FF could be had for $1M at most.
Uhh, no.

The show was not only on Fox, but several other Cable Networks (It's actually airing on The Discovery Science channel soon with interviews with a Science expert). It's one of the best TV on DVD sellers. It moved units on Blu-ray (a Complete Series of an old show...very rare for that format back in 2008). It has a movie. It has conventions. It has merchandising.

It's worth more then a $1 Million. Fillion could buy that easy with the amount of movies he's been in, and his show got renewed for a 4th season.

Plus, eventually, it'll likely get remade. It's just too damn big not to.
Old 02-18-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It always seems Firefly has a very vocal small group of fans. However, not a great amount of fans. How else would it explain the movie bombing? If it had as many fans as it seems, it should have done really well in the theaters.

What merchendising is there that is so valuable? I remember a small ship ornament but nothing else.
Old 02-18-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
It always seems Firefly has a very vocal small group of fans. However, not a great amount of fans. How else would it explain the movie bombing? If it had as many fans as it seems, it should have done really well in the theaters.

What merchendising is there that is so valuable? I remember a small ship ornament but nothing else.
You can't really count on fans to carry anything. Well maybe Harry Potter and Twilight. But usually you need mass market appeal. Universal killed all chances of that by not really marketing Serenity and simply leaving it to the hardcore fans which tend to be more creepy/offputting/annoying than encouraging of ticket sales.
Old 02-18-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I never saw Firefly, but saw and enjoyed Serenity in theaters. Still haven't seen the show though.
Old 02-18-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I never saw Firefly, but saw and enjoyed Serenity in theaters. Still haven't seen the show though.
I was pretty much in the same boat. However, when a Suncoast at a mall I used to frequent had a huge closing/clearance sale, I picked up the series boxset on DVD and watched it all just before I went to see the movie. Fun show and a fun movie.
Old 02-19-11, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care for the show, but this is for a good cause. I'll throw down $1000 when the time comes.
Old 02-19-11, 02:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The show is 1000x better than the film.
Old 02-19-11, 07:13 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

You should pick up the show when someone has it on sale for a decent price ($15 would be a decent sale price), watch the series then the movie. I think that if you liked the movie, you'll like the bigger picture at least as much. -kd5-
Old 02-19-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Uhh, no.

The show was not only on Fox, but several other Cable Networks (It's actually airing on The Discovery Science channel soon with interviews with a Science expert). It's one of the best TV on DVD sellers. It moved units on Blu-ray (a Complete Series of an old show...very rare for that format back in 2008). It has a movie. It has conventions. It has merchandising.
If he were buying the rights to the existing film and series, you'd have a point. But the right to do a new movie or a new series, there's no way that's worth more than a million, not to a studio that has no interest in doing anything other than licensing comic books.

It's worth more then a $1 Million. Fillion could buy that easy with the amount of movies he's been in, and his show got renewed for a 4th season.
I highly doubt that. Fillion's never starred in a major film, and though his show's popular enough to get renewed, I'd be very surprised if he has a million dollars sitting around.

Plus, eventually, it'll likely get remade. It's just too damn big not to.
Firefly is not big.
Old 02-19-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Firefly gave me deja vu when I saw it, though I suppose seeing Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop priorly kind of did that.

It was alright, there are certainly better and worse shows out there, but it was different for a live action show (and yes it was better than Serenity). It definitely isn't a "big" show by any means but it does have a vocal group of supporters... similar to Whedon himself (I don't get the appeal.)
Old 02-19-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Firefly is not big.
I see what you mean. It's barely half the size of a Romulan Bird of Prey.

Old 02-19-11, 10:49 AM
Suspended

If he were buying the rights to the existing film and series, you'd have a point. But the right to do a new movie or a new series, there's no way that's worth more than a million, not to a studio that has no interest in doing anything other than licensing comic books.
That's what he wants to do - buying it 100%.

The studio is doing several things with the license - books/comic books, toys, Syndicating the TV Show etc.

I highly doubt that. Fillion's never starred in a major film, and though his show's popular enough to get renewed, I'd be very surprised if he has a million dollars sitting around.
He's been on several shows (Firefly, Desperate Housewives,), rumored to be in the Uncharted videogame movie, and has a TV Show named after his character. In it's third season, he's netting at least 60-100k an episode. And he will net even more shortly once the show gets syndicated (which'll likely be big as Bones is essentially the same type of show and is on all the damn time). He has well over a million dollars.

Firefly is not big.
Sure, ok.
Old 02-19-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firefly is not big.
I have to agree with you, especially the last part. I love the show and the movie and would love to see more. But I think the poor showing of Serenity killed that. It's really too bad because it was a great science fiction movie that we don't get too many of. And yes it's roots are definitely Beebop and Outlaw Star with a little Trigun thrown in for destruction.
Old 02-19-11, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

The way I see Firefly... it's relatively small and unknown. But it really excites and ignites those who like it. There's not many people who just sort of like it. You love it, possibly hate it, but more than likely just never cared to see it. That's what they call a "rabid fanbase". Those who like it savor it. It's just not a very big fanbase.

I see this A LOT in music. Not so much in TV and cinema.

To be big (whatever that means), you want the silent majority, not the very vocal minority.
Old 02-19-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by reverie
I'm all for anything that results in more Firefly but would Nathan really want to be indebted to fans, who at the first sign of a story they didn't like, start crying about what's 'owed' to them? But still an amusing thought! I'd probably donate a few bucks.
I'm all for anything that includes more shots of Nathan Fillion's naked keester.
Old 02-19-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Oh, and there was some mention of this on Thursday's Community, right? Donald Glover said something about it.
Old 02-19-11, 11:32 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Oh, and there was some mention of this on Thursday's Community, right? Donald Glover said something about it.
Yep.

Firefly is constantly mentioned on TV.
Old 02-19-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

There's not many people who just sort of like it.
I do. But 14 episodes sure wasn't enough for me to get obsessed about it. It was kinda over before it began.
Old 02-19-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gunde
I do. But 14 episodes sure wasn't enough for me to get obsessed about it. It was kinda over before it began.
Over before it began? Are you sure you're not describing your own sex life in that post?
Old 02-19-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gunde
Well, I might give you that except it certainly held more promise than Dollhouse (a TWO SEASON FOX show) which while interesting couldn't hold a candle to what Firefly depicted in its brief and muddled (by FOX execs) broadcasts.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Over before it began? Are you sure you're not describing your own sex life in that post?
Okay, really? Uncalled for. My retort was more valid than plain slander. Even Jayne would not approve.
Old 02-19-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

http://io9.com/#!5764368/watch-commu...us-firefly-nod

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.