Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Porcupine Tree question

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Porcupine Tree question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 04:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Porcupine Tree question

I've been playing to death their song: "Lazarus"

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0MrJl7DQqAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

what other songs from them are similiar?
Old 02-17-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
Re: Porcupine Tree question

That song is part of a "loose" concept album.

Honestly, as a extremely huge PT fan, I feel their music is to be experienced as full albums - Steven Wilson is adamant about that. Do yourself a favor and take some time to digest Deadwing (from which "Lazarus" comes) and In Absentia. I think you'll find there's some astonishingly beautiful and dynamic music there.

Answering the question is tough without knowing how you define "similar"? Softer songs? Songs in a major key with predominant piano parts? Deadwing itself ends with a track called Glass Arm Shattering which is fairly "light" in sound. But again it's meant as the ending of a full record.

"Trains" off In Absentia is by far their most popular song live and it is one of their best IMO as well. The beauty of PT is they are truly progressive in the sense that they are not trying to have everything they do sound similar. Their last full-length contains a 50+ minute song. That sounds daunting but it makes sense when you hear it.

I'll get off my high horse now about PT.

You may want to also look into Steven Wilson's side project Blackfield. That's in a way become his "pop song" outlet so to speak. Lots of short concise songs with insanely catchy hooks and harmonies. They have two releases out with a third coming very shortly.
Old 02-17-11, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is no other PT song like Lazarus which makes it such a cool song. Bunkaroo provided some good info above, particularly checking out Blackfield, Steven Wilson's "other" band. I recommend picking up PT's Deadwing, In Absentia, Fear of a Blank Planet, or their latest The Incident. Each album is very different from one another. I also recommend picking up either of the two concert DVDs "Arriving Somewhere" or "Anesthetize".
Old 02-17-11, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
This is no other PT song like Lazarus which makes it such a cool song. Bunkaroo provided some good info above, particularly checking out Blackfield, Steven Wilson's "other" band. I recommend picking up PT's Deadwing, In Absentia, Fear of a Blank Planet, or their latest The Incident. Each album is very different from one another. I also recommend picking up either of the two concert DVDs "Arriving Somewhere" or "Anesthetize".
yes I'm particularily interested in the Blackfield albums, as for the Deadwing and In Absentia those also sound like something I need to hear the entire albums for - I'm slightly annoyed that the DTS 5.1 CD of Deadwing is essentially out of the print and quite expensive as a result. The 'Arriving Somewhere' concert film DVD also piques my interest
Old 02-18-11, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They played here in Nashville a few years ago. Wonderful show!
Old 02-18-11, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll second the recommendations for their two concert DVDs, Arriving Somewhere... and Anesthetize. I've watched both a few times since purchasing them and I'll watch them again. They're both very good.

Arriving Somewhere was actually my introduction to the band a few years ago. After I saw that, I bought almost their entire catalog, including the Blackfield stuff. There's also a Blackfield live DVD that's worth checking out, if you like their music. I'd start with Arriving Somewhere or Anesthetize, though.
Old 02-18-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was at the show which served as the bulk of the Arriving Somewhere DVD. It was actually two nights in Chicago but they kept most of the first night I was at - even the interesting occurrence during the second encore. I was happy to see that on the DVD. It shows Wilson doesn't take himself too seriously.
Old 02-18-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh and Blackfield is touring the US later in the Spring. I don't go to a lot of live shows but I can't wait to see them in person doing that material.
Old 02-18-11, 11:03 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
You may want to also look into Steven Wilson's side project Blackfield. That's in a way become his "pop song" outlet so to speak. Lots of short concise songs with insanely catchy hooks and harmonies. They have two releases out with a third coming very shortly.
Not sure how I missed this band, but thanks! Listening to the second album now and I'm loving it.
Old 02-18-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Not sure how I missed this band, but thanks! Listening to the second album now and I'm loving it.
Cool!

Blackfield II is definitely my favorite of the two so far. It's already 4 years old - it came out around the same time as Fear of a Blank Planet. Blackfield I had even less fanfare. I'm hoping the new record raises their profile some more.
Old 02-18-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the whole Stupid Dream album. It's my favourite from them. The Blackfield albums are also mighty fine.
Old 02-18-11, 02:26 PM

here are the dates and venues for the Blackfield Spring tour:

18th May Washington, DC, 9:30 Club
19th May Philadelphia, PA, Theater of the Living Arts
20th May New York, NY, Irving Plaza
21st May Boston, MA, Royale Boston
23rd May Montreal, QC, Le National CANADA
25th May Cleveland, OH, House of Blues
26th May Detroit, MI, St Andrew's Hall
27th May Chicago, IL, Park West
31st May Seattle, WA, Studio Seven
1st June Portland, OR, Aladdin Theater
3rd June San Francisco, CA, Great American Music Hall
4th June Los Angeles, CA, El Rey Theatre
Old 02-19-11, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice! I just picked up tickets for the L.A. date on June 4th.
Old 02-22-11, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by whaaat
Check out the whole Stupid Dream album. It's my favourite from them. The Blackfield albums are also mighty fine.
Completely agree on this. Stupid Dream is a great album.
Old 02-22-11, 08:57 PM

I saw Porcupine Tree at an in store acoustic performance when they were touring behind the Stupid Dream album[had the cd autographed as well as a poster promoting the album].