Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Soundgarden New Album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Soundgarden New Album

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soundgarden New Album

SOUNDGARDEN Preparing To Record Brand New Music - Feb. 15, 2011
Reunited grunge legends SOUNDGARDEN have issued the following update:

"Over the past few months, we've been busy jamming, writing and hanging out together — exploring the creative aspect of being SOUNDGARDEN. It feels great. We have some cool new songs that we are going to record very soon.

"Thank you for all of the support!"

Check out photos from the studio at this location.http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...599&aid=332443

Asked if he would like to make an all-new SOUNDGARDEN album, singer Chris Cornell recently told The Pulse Of Radio he's up for it. "Having not written a SOUNDGARDEN album in so long, I'd think it'd be really exciting to do it, just to be working on music with those guys again," he said."It certainly feels like it would be really fresh and we could probably push boundaries we didn't do before, as well as complete some specific feel or some aspect of the band musically that I felt like we brushed up against, but we never perfected, you know."

SOUNDGARDEN released a CD/DVD retrospective set last September called "Telephantasm", featuring singles, album cuts, live material and the previously unavailable "Black Rain", which was nominated for a Grammy Award.

SOUNDGARDEN fans who pre-order the band's upcoming concert album, "Live On I5", through the group's official web site will also receive an exclusive bonus CD recorded during soundchecks and featuring five extra tracks. The songs included on the bonus disc are "No Attention", "Never The Machine Forever", "Waiting For The Sun", "Room A Thousand Years Wide" and "Somewhere". The songs were recorded at soundchecks on the Oakland, Vancouver and Sacramento dates of the band's 1996 West Coast tour, during which "Live On I5" was recorded.

The bonus tracks will be available in digital format exclusively from iTunes.

"Live On I5" is SOUNDGARDEN's first-ever official live album and will arrive on March 22.

SOUNDGARDEN had intended to release its first live album shortly after the 1996 tour, but the group ended up disbanding and the tapes were left in the studio, untouched for years.

SOUNDGARDEN reunited in early 2010, but has played just a handful of gigs since. The band has yet to announce any full-length tour plans, although Cornell will kick off a solo trek on April 1 in Austin, Texas.
Old 02-18-11, 10:27 AM

Re: Soundgarden New Album

I'd love to hear a new Soundgarden record. Hopefully this comes together.
Old 02-18-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by miller_time22
I'd love to hear a new Soundgarden record. Hopefully this comes together.
Ditto. I managed to score a pair of tickets for Chris Cornell's upcoming acoustic show in May. That should be pretty cool as well. Fingers crossed we eventually get a new studio album.
Old 02-18-11, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jippy
Ditto. I managed to score a pair of tickets for Chris Cornell's upcoming acoustic show in May. That should be pretty cool as well. Fingers crossed we eventually get a new studio album.
Awesome for you on those tickets. I take it you've probably heard Cornell's Live in Sweden. If not, check it out, it's great.
Old 02-18-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope Kim Thayil gave his boss at Cinnabon 2 weeks notice.
Old 02-18-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Cornell's last solo album was shit, so I hope he can move on from that and actually write some good hard rock tunes again.
Old 02-19-11, 08:31 AM

By the way, has everyone seen the video that Brendon Small (of Metalocalpyse and Home Movies) made for Black Rain?
You know, first time I heard the song, I only thought it was okay. But after repeated listens, it's really grown on me and now I think it's awesome. Every Soundgarden album has been like that for me!

Here's hoping they still got the juice.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K913KVe3kH8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-19-11, 10:44 AM

Have not seen this, but I do like it.
Old 03-05-11, 01:44 AM

SOUNDGARDEN: 12-14 Songs 'Ready To Go' For New Studio Album - Mar. 4, 2011
SOUNDGARDEN will enter a Seattle studio next week to begin recording its first album in 15 years. Drummer Matt Cameron tells Billboard.com that "there's a little bit of evolution going on with some of this new music, but we're not straying too far from the formula. It has all our signature elements — and more. I think people are going to really love it." 12-14 songs "are kind of ready to go," according to Cameron, with "about 90 percent" of the material being new, although some draw on ideas that date as far back as 1996's "Down On The Upside". "We've tried to update the super-old stuff," he tells Billboard.com. "It doesn't sound too old and dusty and crusty to my ears — but maybe to someone else it will. I think guitar-based music is not really as popular as it has been in the past, so it might sound kind of out of date or out of tune with what's going on right now. Or it might be a breath of fresh air to have an unabashedly loud guitar band out there."

SOUNDGARDEN singer Chris Cornell told Spin.com earlier this week that the band will spend as long as necessary to "make an album that we all really love." He explained, "We're putting the music first. The process of writing, recording, and being creative together is the most important thing, not meeting a deadline."

Cornell told The Pulse Of Radio that unlike the old days when the band was on a constant schedule of recording and touring, they're working in a much more relaxed way now. "You know, you always had people breathing down your neck, and you always had sort of proposed schedules of, you know, 'It'd be great if you were in the studio by this date and it'd be great if your record is finished by that date,' and we just didn't work that well in that environment," he said. "And now, we're not in it. Now we are clearly in an environment of 'Let's do this when it's relaxed and it's comfortable and we've taken sort of baby steps toward doing different things.'"

Adam Kaspar, who co-produced SOUNDGARDEN's last record, 1996's "Down On The Upside", will work with the group on the new effort as well.

SOUNDGARDEN reunited in January 2010 but has only played a handful of gigs — including a headlining set at last August's Lollapalooza festival in Chicago — and issued a compilation titled "Telephantasm" last fall.

The band's first live album, called "Live On I5", comes out on March 22 and was recorded on one of their final tours.

Cornell, who's going out on a solo acoustic tour this spring, also told Spin.com that SOUNDGARDEN will play more live shows this year.
Old 04-16-11, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Soundgarden Sets Official Reunion Tour Dates

After a 13-year absence, Soundgarden will finally return to the road this summer. The reunited grunge outfit has revealed the first four dates of its upcoming U.S. trek, which will head to Toronto, Philadelphia, Denver and Los Angeles this July, with more dates to be announced soon.

Soundgarden's first tour since 1997 follows the band's 2010 reunion after more than a decade apart, which led to a one-off show at Seattle's Showbox at the Market last April as well as a headlining set at Lollapalooza in August. Tickets for the four dates will go on pre-sale next Monday (Apr. 18), with the general sale arriving Apr. 22-23.

Chris Cornell, Matt Cameron, Ben Shepherd and Kim Thayil are currently working on the first new Soundgarden album since 1996's "Down on the Upside" in their native Seattle. "We're pretty far into our record now," Cornell told Billboard.com last month. "I don't really know how to describe it musically, because typically with Soundgarden... every time we write a song we always take it for what it is and try to make it the most it can be. It's very diverse, I can tell you that."

In the past year, the band has issued retrospective album "Telephantasm" and live release "Live on I-5"; the albums have 74,000 copies and 15,000 copies, respectively. Before Soundgarden hits the road this summer, Cornell will wrap up a solo trek, which continues tomorrow night in Atlantic City, N.J.

Here are the initial dates for Soundgarden's 2011 summer tour:

July 2: Toronto, Ontario (Molson Canadian Amphitheatre)
July 13: Philadelphia, Pa. (Festival Pier at Penn's Landing)
July 18: Denver, Co. (Red Rocks Amphitheatre)
July 22: Los Angeles, Calif. (The Forum)

BILLBOARD.com
Old 04-16-11, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eager to hear the new album.

Have seen 'Audioslave' and Chris solo, but never seen Soundgarden so might have to check them out if they get close.

A friend of mine is a huge fan of everything Chris Cornell has did (except the Scream album).
Old 05-16-11, 11:07 PM

SOUNDGARDEN Guitarist Says New Album Won't Surface Before 2012 - May 16, 2011
Dean Goodman of Reuters recently conducted an interview with guitarist Kim Thayil of reunited grunge legends . A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

On how the members of SOUNDGARDEN remained good friends during the band's 13-year hiatus:

"Any acrimony was toward the band as a collective, not toward any individual. We're just too interconnected, going back to the '80s with so many mutual friends and family in common."

On singer Chris Cornell's cryptic tweet on the first day of 2010 about the relaunch of the band's website and merchandising efforts, which was misinterpreted as a reunion announcement:

"I spent a lot of time on the phone with my mom. 'Are you going to believe what someone told you they saw on the Internet? Or are you going to believe what your son told you? ... We're not back together.'"

On playing a handful of shows last year including the Lollapalooza festival in Chicago:

"There never was a time when we said, 'Hey we're a band again.' But I think some time last fall ... we realized we're doing all the things that a band does now, not just designing a website."

On SOUNDGARDEN's first new album since 1996's "Down On The Upside", which will likely surface next year:

"If we were to say, 'Let's get this record out by the fall', I think it would put a lot of pressure on us and the quality would at some point suffer. And the more we enjoy it, the more our fans should end up enjoying it."

On SOUNGARDEN's uncertain future:

"The band is definitely handling its career situation in a lot freer way than it did before. The way we're doing it is diminished pressure for us. Probably consequently, maybe it's diminished expectation!"

Read the entire interview from Reuters.http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...74D0F020110514
Old 07-03-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Went to the Toronto show last night - it was fantastic. "Welcome to the first show of our first tour in 13, 14 years!" Chris and the guys sounded great, the set was energetic and the crowd was really into it. The clear highlight of the night was OUTSHINED and it was a lot of fun to see these 4 back together, doing what they do best. If you are a fan and they are coming anywhere near you, it is definitely worth it. I was a little surprised that Pretty Noose didn't make the cut (and a few tracks I don't care for did) but overall it was a blast and a welcome return. (I've seen Cornell suck before, so it was nice to see him excel).

SOUNDGARDEN SETLIST:
Black Rain
Searching With My Good Eye Closed
Spoonman
Gun
Rusty Cage
Blow Up the Outside World
Let Me Drown
Jesus Christ Pose
My Wave
The Day I Tried to Live
Outshined
Beyond the Wheel
Fell on Black Days
Ugly Truth
Burden in My Hand
Superunknown
Black Hole Sun
4th of July

ENCORE:
Face Pollution
Like Suicide
Slaves & Bulldozers
Old 07-03-11, 10:45 AM

I was curious as to how Cornell's voice fared live nowadays. He was sounding a bit rough and hoarse with Audioslave. I was surprised how high he's still able to sing on Black Rain but that's in a studio. Black Rain and maybe a tune like The Day I Tried to Live, I would think he's not able to pull off anymore in a live setting.

Guess I was wrong?
Old 07-07-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great show in CT last night. Got tix last-minute for free, and was really pleased.

Cornell sounded a million times better than I thought he would. Not sure how it's possible, but with the exception of Black Hole Sun (which was a train wreck, for some reason), everything was spot on.

Searching With My Good Eye Closed
Spoonman
Gun
Black Rain
Let Me Drown
Jesus Christ Pose
Blow Up the Outside World
My Wave
The Day I Tried to Live
Ugly Truth
Fell on Black Days
Hunted Down