DVD Talk
Any better players with Netflix support, My Sony 470 is driving me insane [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Any better players with Netflix support, My Sony 470 is driving me insane

comfortablynumb
02-16-11, 01:41 AM
I purchased a Sony BDP470 in December, mainly for it's Netflix streaming ability. It was ok for a while but lately it buffers like crazy. From what I can find out searching around, everything goes through a Sony Server first then to Netflix (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I know when I set it up it had to go through Sony first then to Netflix, also had to register the player first as well.

Is there a player out there with better Netflix support?

Also Netflix streams on my PC just fine!

My setup and what I've done to trouble shoot:
Cable Broadband 10mb down 1 up (test show 9.74-10Mb depending on traffic)
Wired directly to WRT54G2
- All Firmware updates current
- I've tried different ports on the router, I replaced the ethernet cable
- I tried GOOGLE DNS servers to eliminate DNS bottle necks
- I also manually setup a dedicated internal IP that no other computer uses
- Of course power cycled the router as well

I called Netflix, then was refered to Sony..Sony was of no help they wanted me to allow them access to my computer, umm no. Then they asked if I knew what my IP addres was, I gave them that, they told me to just use the same IP but one number higher in the Blu-Ray player..Umm no again I get 1 IP from my ISP. He tried to argue that it didn't matter.

Also in my limted search it seems there are quit a few people with similar issues all on different ISP's in different parts of country.

Spottedfeather
02-16-11, 08:10 PM
It's not HD, but I've read that the Wii can be used with Netflix. According to what I've seen, the quality is alright, just not HD, but pretty good 480p if you use a component cable.

cseyer
02-17-11, 07:38 AM
Here are all my devices for netflix and my ranking of ease of use/ stable streaming capability / quality of picture. Ranked from best experience to worst.

Apple TV 2 (Wired)
Wii (Wifi)
Ipad (Wifi)
Apple TV 2 (Wifi)
PS3 (Wifi)
Sony BDP-S370 Bluray (Wired)
Ipad (3G)

So addressing the BDP-S370 which is very similiar to your situation, I dont have buffering issues. Downsides are, poor menu/selection screens, and only able to view/play video from que, no searching. Wired connections seem to be better than wifi, wifi is prone to signal degradation causing intermittent data loss which is no good for streaming.

Hope that helps.

JACOB
02-17-11, 05:39 PM
I would try a panasonic 65 or 85 player. it had the best netflix. you cannt search for movies. the playback is the best that I have seen.

Jacob