Old 02-15-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,696 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Lights Out -- "Combinations" -- 2/15/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Lights misses his family after moving into a motel to train for his bout with Morales (Gavin-Keith Umeh) without distractions. No such luck. Reporter Mike Fumosa (Ben Shenkman) keeps pestering him about rumors about his activities in and out of the ring.

Episode 6 of 13

Just caught last week's episode yesterday. Like that they are slowly advancing the plot with Lights comeback and his brain damage/issues. Great series so far, it's sad that the ratings have been so low. I've come to accept this will probably be another 1 and done show for FX.

Question, Did Lights and his wife separate at the end?

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h0mRVJ3lSVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-16-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Lights Out -- "Combinations" -- 2/15/11

Wow, is no one a fan of this series?
Old 02-16-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I think it's the best new show out there. Travesty it's not doing so well. It's original, well acted and well written. But then I loved Terriers too, so...
Old 02-16-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree. I only saw the pilot for Terriers, but I'm loving "Lights Out." I didn't realize the ratings were so bad until today. I guess that lack of activity here shows that to be true, too.
Old 02-16-11, 11:11 AM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Odd indeed that it hasn't caught on...I think it's great.
Old 02-16-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate that FX shows don't show up on Hulu until 8 days after they air. At least have it be 7 days so if we miss 1 episode, we can catch up in time for the new one. Just got done watching last week's episode on Hulu and last night's episode um, elsewhere.

The pacing of this show is great. It feels like there is an urgency to everything that is happening, but they aren't rushing anything. This feels like the sort of story that should only last a few seasons, so hopefully FX sticks with it past the first season.

I love Holt McCallany's performance. It's so nuanced and he fits into the role so well. I love how calm he is about everything that happens, and then every once in a while he just lets loose, but even then there is this calmness about him that is truly scary.

Too bad the reporter lost his job, feel bad for the guy. Hope he sticks around though, maybe Lights will give him a big exclusive and help him get his job back.
Old 02-16-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Too bad the reporter lost his job, feel bad for the guy. Hope he sticks around though, maybe Lights will give him a big exclusive and help him get his job back.
That exactly what I was thinking. It was too bad Lights never really caught on that this was just another guy with problems like him trying to do his job and make a living. (Then again, he did keep catching Lights in bad spots.)
I def hope that character sticks around.
Old 02-16-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 741 Likes on 543 Posts

I kind of think that Lights would possibly give him story rights once he has his fight, but I want to know who took care of all that info? I can't see Johnny having done it all by himself, Brennan must somehow be involved. I'm just surprised they have any money or credit lines that Lights can even afford to stay in that ratty motel.
Old 02-16-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I agree. I only saw the pilot for Terriers, but I'm loving "Lights Out." I didn't realize the ratings were so bad until today. I guess that lack of activity here shows that to be true, too.
I think the show is fantastic. I don't know for some reason alot of cable shows in this forum don't have large followings here. Maybe because alot of people here don't have cable? Mad Men and The Walking Dead are probably the most popular basic cable shows in this forum right now.
Old 02-16-11, 03:43 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

I watch it, I enjoy it.
Old 02-16-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw
That exactly what I was thinking. It was too bad Lights never really caught on that this was just another guy with problems like him trying to do his job and make a living. (Then again, he did keep catching Lights in bad spots.)
I def hope that character sticks around.
If there's one thing I complain about to myself each time, it's how Lights has treated the reporter. The reporter has always been very fair and upfront with Lights and always came to Lights first before running with stories; Lights is pretty dismissive of him and doesn't seem to take him seriously.

I get why he wouldn't talk about the knee-breaking and the cage match, but what harm was there in talking about the most recent incident? All Lights had to do was tell him what really happened that night. I'm sure had he done that the reporter would have believed him and reported on that, and there wouldn't have been a problem.

Lights is a good guy though, I'm sure he won't leave the reporter out in the cold.

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think the show is fantastic. I don't know for some reason alot of cable shows in this forum don't have large followings here. Maybe because alot of people here don't have cable? Mad Men and The Walking Dead are probably the most popular basic cable shows in this forum right now.
Yeah, I've never understood how some cable shows don't have larger followings here. I like to post my thoughts on shows, favorite quotes and moments, etc. and like to see what others have to say as well. But there's never as much discussion in these threads than their network counterparts.

It surprises me The Walking Dead is so popular on the board. I mean, I think it's ripe for discussion because of how terrible the writing was during the first season, but there are a ton of better shows on cable than The Walking Dead, especially the FX dramas. And let's be honest, Lights Out on its worst day is 10x better than The Walking Dead on its best.
Old 02-16-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 622 Likes on 501 Posts

I wonder if Barry is setting it up to have Morales take a fall.

It's a shame if the ratings are low. I'm kinda surprised this show doesn't do as well as other F/X shows since they are mostly geared toward males, and this is right in that wheelhouse.

The fight-announcement press conference was hilarious.
Old 02-16-11, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It surprises me The Walking Dead is so popular on the board. I mean, I think it's ripe for discussion because of how terrible the writing was during the first season, but there are a ton of better shows on cable than The Walking Dead, especially the FX dramas. And let's be honest, Lights Out on its worst day is 10x better than The Walking Dead on its best.
It's simple. Lights Out is nowhere near as dork friendly a show as the Walking Dead is.
Old 02-16-11, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
It's simple. Lights Out is nowhere near as dork friendly a show as the Walking Dead is.
Yep. I watched about 20 minutes of that at a friends and thought WTF? But then I can't stand shows/movies about zombies, vampires, etc.
Old 02-16-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I thought Barry gave a good explanation to the current champ on how they could play either outcome of the fight, no matter who won.
Old 02-16-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I thought Barry gave a good explanation to the current champ on how they could play either outcome of the fight, no matter who won.
Barry very well could be bullshitting him. We are talking about Barry. He can certainly play either outcome, but one outcome is clearly more desirable from a money standpoint and I would think current vs. former champ and white vs. black and good vs. bad (rather than bad vs. more bad) is much more desirable.
Old 02-16-11, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For sure it's Lights that Barry wants the current champ to fight after this bout... especially now since Johnny gave him up to Barry. He stands to take a larger cut of the purse to have both of his fighters going toe to toe than having to split the payday with El Diablo if they were to fight.
Old 02-16-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

For sure it's Lights that Barry wants the current champ to fight after this bout... especially now since Johnny gave him up to Barry. He stands to take a larger cut of the purse to have both of his fighters going toe to toe than having to split the payday with El Diablo if they were to fight.
I thought he owned El Diablo too?
Old 02-16-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought he just pulled the strings to get him out of prison early? But then again, he did say he owned everybody when the reporter asked him about Jojo.
Old 02-16-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

I thought he just pulled the strings to get him out of prison early? But then again, he did say he owned everybody when the reporter asked him about Jojo.
Well that's what I figured....if he pulled the strings, he wouldn't go to that trouble if he didn't own him.
Old 02-16-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well that's what I figured....if he pulled the strings, he wouldn't go to that trouble if he didn't own him.
But at the same time, maybe he would since the current champ had nobody left to fight. The 2 unfinished fights were Lights and El Diablo, both of which took the champ the distance? With Lights being out of the ring for 5 years and El Diablo being in prison 2 or 3, while they aren't tomato cans, I'm sure Barry thought either of those rematches would bring in a lot more money than the fighters currently and still give his champ a slight edge.
Old 02-16-11, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Sparring so much, and destroying his partners, he's going to get over confident and over trained.
Old 02-16-11, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dave99
I was kind of thinking the same thing. Sparring so much, and destroying his partners, he's going to get over confident and over trained.
I was thinking more along the lines of throwing the fight, but you could be right (if he has Morales' trainer in his pocket).
Old 02-17-11, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Just fininished this today. Another really good episode. Tuesday's in general is a pretty busy night for TV, but from what I've seen of FX's programming, it seems mostly male-oriented with the exception of Damages, which is now on Directv. This is a boxing show and FX's male audience should be eating this up. I have to assume the lack of "Name" talent is one of the factors hurting this show. Holt McCallany is fantastic in this show, but I don't think the average person knows who he is.

Yeah it sucked to see the reporter lose his job. He seemed to be on Lights side most of the time.

With about 1/2 the season completed, I have to wonder if the plan is to have Lights fight Morales and then maybe the season finale have the big rematch with Death Row.

Love Reg E. Cathey as Barry. He's a less obnoxious version of Don King. The press conference for Lights and Morales' fight was great.
Old 02-18-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

No way Morales will throw a fight -- but overtraining him is a good thought.

I'm soooo entirely sick of Lights' wife. Can you move past it beeeyotch? He does everything for you and you continue to shit on him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.