DVD Talk
Acquiring IP Address problem with wireless Blu-Ray player [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Acquiring IP Address problem with wireless Blu-Ray player

DouglasRobert
02-15-11, 09:33 AM
OK, first off I am renting a room and I have wired internet in my room.

In the other room is the Netgear wireless router.
I got the password and the WPS security code from the back of the router. I've entered them into the player and it connects to the router, but when I look up the IP setting all it says is Acquiring IP Address. It's set to Dynamic.

So am I doing something wrong or does the router need to be configured?

I am a complete newbie on this, so most of what you say will likely go over my head. But whatever advice you can give I will tell him and see if it works.

dablueguy
02-16-11, 03:17 AM
Silly question but did the owner change the default password and security code? If not they should. See if they will do that and give you the new info because with a wired connection to the router you shouldn't need that anyway. Sounds like a router problem.

DouglasRobert
02-16-11, 09:19 AM
Oh sorry, forgot to mention that the wired internet works just fine.

I am talking about connecting a Wireless Blu-Ray player to the wireless network via the wireless router.

Spiky
02-16-11, 11:38 AM
Does your player actually work with WPS? That is the newest protocol, you may have to step back to WPA2, which your player should have.

Also, if I had a nickel for every time a networking problem was caused by a simple typo....

DouglasRobert
02-16-11, 05:07 PM
Well I bought the player around Christmas last year and it has WPS right on the Network menu as well as the manual has info on WPS. So yes I would assume that it works with WPS.

Spiky
02-16-11, 10:58 PM
Well, that's good. There's all sorts of possible issues. One direct one is that the password has probably been changed, as mentioned above. Or the router could be set to only allow access from specific MAC addresses, and you would need to add the player. Networking is a bitch, I try to avoid it at all costs.