Old 02-13-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Shameless -- "Killer Carl" -- 2/13/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-12-12

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Fiona scrambles to spruce up the house for an impending visit from Carl's teacher; Lip makes some extra cash by taking tests for his less-intelligent classmates; the Kash and Grab is repeatedly robbed by a local punk; and Frank's lack of business acumen costs him.

Episode 6 of 12
Old 02-14-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Shameless -- "Killer Carl" -- 2/13/11

I hate to say it but I'm not sure how much longer I'm sticking with this. I was enjoying it for the first few episodes, and the inclusion of Fiona's boobs are always appreciated, but the whole let's-get-someone-to-pretend-to-be-someone-else to fake out the investigator/teacher/bill-collector/etc thing is becoming tired. I think this is maybe the 4th episode in a row where the major plot is the family all teaming up to commit a major act of fraud.

The handheld shaky-cam antics in the kitchen before school bit is also being done to death.

I am liking the Joan Cusack scenes, though. What goes on in that house is actually a lot more interesting than anything else in the show.
Old 02-14-11, 11:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

^ I am having similar reactions. Some of the plot points that drove the first couple episodes are being worn out. Also, the ending to this week's episode was just silly.
Old 02-14-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Does anyone else think it's weird - from a story perspective - that Frank hardly ever interacts with his family? You could remove him from the show entirely and he wouldn't be missed, it's almost like there are two separate programs... Frank and whatever trouble he gets into, and Fiona and the kids and whatever mess they find themselves in this wee
Old 02-14-11, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

As long as I'm laughing I'm not complaining. And I'm still laughing.

This is my Nip/Tuck replacement. Silly, stupid, shark-jumping and sexy - don't take it seriously.
Old 02-14-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still loving this show. Joan Cusack absolutely killed in this episode. She is just hilarious.
Old 02-14-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I'm enjoying this show, but I do have issues with it. I like the scamming, but I agree that it's already repetative when the family pitches in to pull something off. What's also repetative is that a major bill needs to be paid up - and Fiona has to figure out something quickly to pay it while turning her boyfriend down for help yet again. I know they're basically living day by day in their situation - so this would be a frequent occurance, but I don't need to see that part of the story all the time.
Old 02-15-11, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm still enjoying it but I have to admit this episode was pretty weak. The resolution to the Carl storyline was just silly and I agree that I'm also getting tired of the boyfriend coming in and saving the day stuff.

But this is still can't miss TV for me. I still find it all very funny.
Old 02-15-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Yeah, this show's starting to wear thin on me too. Part of it is that I'm starting to really hate every single character, but mostly it's because they show's feeling really contrived in that it's trying too hard to be "outrageous" for it's own sake rather than something that comes naturally from the characters and situations.
Old 02-15-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goat3001
The resolution to the Carl storyline was just silly
I actually thought it was surprising. I didn't know anything about that piece of art but I thought the boyfriend was going to recognize him as buying one of the stolen cars or something and blackmail him.

Still love the show. The kids hold it together and if it was just about Frank I don't think I could enjoy the show.