Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Keys: Howlin' for You video

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a search but didn't see this posted anywhere.

I personally love the Black Keys (which means they're probably unpopular already in music circles), but I just saw their new video for "Howlin' for You" and really enjoyed it, so I figured I'd share it:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TLSpj7q6_mM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-12-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Black Keys: Howlin' for You video

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I did a search but didn't see this posted anywhere.

I personally love the Black Keys (which means they're probably unpopular already in music circles), but I just saw their new video for "Howlin' for You" and really enjoyed it, so I figured I'd share it:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TLSpj7q6_mM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
While they're videos are usually always good - it seems even the black keys have lost faith in the black keys.

They have been around for years and keep toning down with each album they release.

I actually like Brothers but I'm really looking forward to a solid non-drowsy album from these guys again.
Old 02-13-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll just stick to the music and continue ignoring their visual media, as it always comes off as pretentious and boring. The music on the other hand is always great rock & roll.
Old 02-13-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Makes me like them less.

She'll bang ya but then she'll hang ya?

Who wrote that a high school senior?
Old 02-13-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the video is hilarious. Sure, it owes a lot to Rodriguez and Tarantino, but that is also part of the charm. It also served as my introduction to the Black Keys -- and I like the song! I will check out more of this bands music now.
Old 02-13-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And there's the reminder why I don't post in Music Talk.
Old 02-13-11, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Why? Because I stated that I wasn't already familiar with the Black Keys? That seems rather rude.

I listen to a lot of music. At least as much as I feel I can listen to, considering I am so frequently engaged in cinema instead. I have around 900 albums worth of music which I would say makes me a fairly dedicated music fan.
Old 02-14-11, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GenPion
Why? Because I stated that I wasn't already familiar with the Black Keys? That seems rather rude.

I listen to a lot of music. At least as much as I feel I can listen to, considering I am so frequently engaged in cinema instead. I have around 900 albums worth of music which I would say makes me a fairly dedicated music fan.
Sorry about that; I wasn't talking about you. The other responses ("it seems even the black keys have lost faith in the black keys," calling their videos "pretentious and boring.") were what I was talking about.
Old 02-14-11, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the response. I guess I just thought it was aimed at me because it came after my post. I can understand why it would be annoying to see responses like what you referenced. Looking over the thread, it seems a lot of people didn't appreciate the video. I'm glad you decided to share it though.
Old 02-14-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry about that; I wasn't talking about you. The other responses ("it seems even the black keys have lost faith in the black keys," calling their videos "pretentious and boring.") were what I was talking about.
It's ok to be to the point but why not back it up? Since I didn't really give much input I'm as much to blame - here's what triggered my comments The video pretty much speaks for itself:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5rYsq2hEmTM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-16-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All other forums must contain posts of everyone agreeing with your opinion? Sounds pretty boring...

Yeah, I do think they seem pretentious and boring. I love their music though! Lots of acts are like that in my opinion. Sorry mine isn't the same as yours.
Old 02-16-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
All other forums must contain posts of everyone agreeing with your opinion? Sounds pretty boring...

Yeah, I do think they seem pretentious and boring. I love their music though! Lots of acts are like that in my opinion. Sorry mine isn't the same as yours.

I don't see how, of all the criticisms you could levy against them, that "their videos are pretentious and boring" is a fair one, but to each his own. I don't care if everybody has the same opinion. I just find that "music fans" tend to be a bunch of contrarian, elitist assholes, which is why I tend to avoid all music forums. Phrases like "it seems even the black keys have lost faith in the black keys" just infuriate me, because they don't even mean anything, but you see them littered in reviews all over the internet. It's the music criticism equivalent of phrases like "I love you, but I'm not in love with you."

I had a lapse of judgment and posted here and regretted it almost immediately. Unfortunately, you can't self-delete threads anymore.

If I'd have been smart, I would have posted it was the worst video in the world, and I'd have probably gotten a chorus of contrary views telling me it was genius (perhaps from some of the same people).
Old 02-16-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar
Makes me like them less.

She'll bang ya but then she'll hang ya?

Who wrote that a high school senior?
You do realize that a lot of grindhouse and b-movies have ridiculously cheesy taglines like that one, right?
Old 02-16-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just want more of this.....(man, hope I haven't posted this particular vid too much already):

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/luwp5iZD8wQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Their single "Ohio" is excellent as well......really wish it was on Brothers.
Old 02-17-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I accept that they'll never match the quality of their album "Rubber Factory" and that's okay, I still like their stuff.
Old 02-17-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
You do realize that a lot of grindhouse and b-movies have ridiculously cheesy taglines like that one, right?
You're right that was a really cutting edge line. Soo hip.
Old 02-17-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think you're missing the point. If you're doing a video that's supposed to emulate grindhouse films, it makes sense to have a cheesy tagline like that. The line wasn't "cutting edge" or "hip," it was intentionally cheesy, which was the entire point of the video. Guess that was lost on you, since you're apparently just looking for a reason to dislike The Black Keys.
Old 02-17-11, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't like them because they are called "The Black Keys" and neither of them are black.
and because that one guy wears glasses.
Old 02-17-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
I don't like them because they are called "The Black Keys" and neither of them are black.
Old 02-17-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

So you don't think there's a certain level of pretentiousness in a music video that doesn't really doesn't feature music? I know, it's there, but it's hardly the focus.
Old 02-17-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jason
So you don't think there's a certain level of pretentiousness in a music video that doesn't really doesn't feature music? I know, it's there, but it's hardly the focus.
No? I can see maybe "odd" or "incongruous"... but how is it "pretentious," specifically?
Old 02-17-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For anyone interested in the Ohio track not released - here it is with lyrics - I really like this one:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IV9T9kvtka0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>