Old 02-08-11, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Southland -- "Cop or Not" -- 2/08/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By null at 2011-01-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Lydia is caught in the spotlight while investigating a celebrity murder; Sammy goes out on patrol; and an annoyed Ben and John deal with a monotonous security detail.

Episode 6 of 10

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l_D3pbZJNq8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sammy on a rampage! Awesome
Old 02-08-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Southland -- "Cop or Not" -- 2/08/11

Thought this might be interesting to some of you.

This is the song that Southland's theme is taken from. It's called Cancao do Mar by Dulce Pontes.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MSIGWEcR5Dc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-08-11, 02:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Despite no Sammy, loved last week's episode. Things look to be pretty intense tonight -- thanks for the link to the full song.
Old 02-09-11, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Good episode and I thought it was a good follow up to what happened with Nate and Sammy 2 weeks ago. Sammy is seeking blood from those gang members. I'm glad to see his character is looking out for Nate's family.

Normally I'm ho-hum on Lydia and Josie's storylines, but I thought this episode was topical on how the media over-sensationalizes celebrities and how information travels so fast. I didn't get how Lydia got screwed by those photos. She had the phone in her possession the whole time, so did she get hacked?

I got a good laugh at the beginning when Lydia couldn't sleep because her Mom was whoring it up.

I think this was also the 1st time we saw John wake up with a man in his bed. I know his character is gay, but they never really dealt with it.

at John bitching to Sherman about celebrities. I liked when he was bitching about the Michael Jackson funeral.
Old 02-09-11, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All we'd seen of Cooper was him spending a holiday (4th of July or Memorial Day, can't remember which) doing some renovating.

The murder scene itself seemed loosely based on the whole OJ Simpson case with two people murdered outside the home with the woman's children inside, and even the method was similar given the woman in this episode was nearly decapitated.

If this is all building towards a showdown between cops and the gangs, count me in for a good old fashioned tale of revenge.
Old 02-09-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
All we'd seen of Cooper was him spending a holiday (4th of July or Memorial Day, can't remember which) doing some renovating.

The murder scene itself seemed loosely based on the whole OJ Simpson case with two people murdered outside the home with the woman's children inside, and even the method was similar given the woman in this episode was nearly decapitated.

If this is all building towards a showdown between cops and the gangs, count me in for a good old fashioned tale of revenge.
Yeah it was the season finale 1 that we saw John and some dude look at each other at some BBQ. But, other than that they haven't really gone into John's sexuality.

That's a good catch that this case seems to be loosely based on the OJ murder, especially with the woman almost getting decapitated.
Old 02-09-11, 02:47 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I thought it was a great ep.

I think both of Sammy's stories are interesting, especially how Nate's family has latched on to him.
Old 02-09-11, 03:29 PM

Pretty excellent episode.

I read somewhere else that some considered it filler, but I disagree, they all can't have the ultra sharp surprise factor of Code 4. Sammy going crazy was excellent, but as we learned with Moretta it looks like caution is the best tool here.

I have been a fan of this show since it debuted on NBC, and I anxiously waited for TNT to get started with airing the remainder of last season, and wasn't at all disapointed. The marketing company I work for picked up some of the marketing for season 2's airing (as well as this season's) and for me it was a labor of love, as I have been a fan of the realistic work that Regina King(227, Ray, Jerry Maguire) and the cast have done for this series.

Things are pretty much guaranteed to get crazy by episode 8 or so, I just hope no more blood is spilled amongst the primary cast.
Old 02-09-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I was expecting to find out that Lydia's old partner was the one that released the pictures to the press. He was so upset that the guy was going to walk and being a partner with her for so long he would probably know the photos she took would be sent to her computer like she always does. Surely it wouldnt be that difficult for him to get them there if he wanted.
Old 02-10-11, 12:55 AM
ams

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah it was the season finale 1 that we saw John and some dude look at each other at some BBQ. But, other than that they haven't really gone into John's sexuality.

That's a good catch that this case seems to be loosely based on the OJ murder, especially with the woman almost getting decapitated.
I remember something more when he scored some pills in a mens room...not sure what.
Old 02-10-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm
I was expecting to find out that Lydia's old partner was the one that released the pictures to the press. He was so upset that the guy was going to walk and being a partner with her for so long he would probably know the photos she took would be sent to her computer like she always does. Surely it wouldnt be that difficult for him to get them there if he wanted.
i was actually thinking it might be her current partner. she seems to love to spend money like they aren't printing anymore, so i could've seen that angle to.
Old 02-10-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked this episode....the beginning caught me off guard. As someone already noted, I knew he was gay but did not expect them to portray his character in that manner. Guess that is what I love about this show....
Old 02-11-11, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Axeramm
I think it was him too. Especially since he needed money and he didn't think Lydia would get in trouble (or maybe he resented that she wouldn't lend him the money).