Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

TV Listings Messing Up DVR - Possibly Verizon Issue?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I've noticed lately that despite my DVR settings as "Only Record First Showing" a lot of shows are recording repeats. Likewise, I've also noticed repeats of other shows have a "New!" flag next to them and are therefore recording. One of the most recent examples of this is Castle from a few weeks back.

Is anybody else having this same problem? Is this some sort of central listing issue? Is it a problem with my DVR? A problem with Verizion and how they manage their listing service?
Old 02-08-11, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TV Listings Messing Up DVR - Possibly Verizon Issue?

I've got a time warner box and I have problem with it recording the repeats on occasion. It will normally pick up episodes that have generic descriptions or don't have any at all. I get a Simpsons rerun at least once a month that says in the description something like Homer and Marge raise Bart, Lisa, and baby Maggie in Springfield. Same thing with South Park.

On my guide every repeat episode for the week has new listed by it but only occasionally does it record more that once. There have been a few shows like the League that record the same ep. 2 or 3 time a week. I haven't found a solution for it. I've tried different settings but it hasn't helped. It isn't a big deal for me as long as it doesn't conflict with other shows. Now Pawn Stars on the other had if I try to set it up to record I get about 20 episodes a week so I put that one in manually if I feel like watching it.
Old 02-09-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had this problem with my DirecTV DVR, but the episodes it records have specific episode information and are definitely NOT repeats... so who the hell knows why it does that. Makes me miss my TiVo.
Old 02-09-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Well I guess the good news is that this doesn't sound like a Verizon problem. The bad news is that there may not be a solution. =/
Old 02-09-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Superman07
Well I guess the good news is that this doesn't sound like a Verizon problem. The bad news is that there may not be a solution. =/
It's annoying, but unless my DVR doesn't record a new episode, I'll deal with it.
Old 02-09-11, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do try to check my recording info every day or two to make sure everything is recording so I can weed out any problems.
Old 02-09-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Super J
I do try to check my recording info every day or two to make sure everything is recording so I can weed out any problems.
Yeah... I've started to do that too. I'm a recent "convert" to DirecTV and I gave up my Series 3 TiVo for this. I like the DirecTV service but I don't like the fact that I feel like I have to babysit their DVR.