Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is this a problem for my speaker?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is this a problem for my speaker?

Old 09-12-00, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just set up a pair of Infinity IL40s that i got and noticed that there is a dent in the plastic dome in the center of the uppermost, smallest speaker on the tower. It is a noticable dent that takes up about 1/5 to 1/4 of the total surface area of the dome (just a rough estimate). Is this going to cause real problems? I listened to some DVDs and songs through the speakers, but I couldn't hear anything wrong, but I'm not that discerning. And if this is going to be a problem, what's the best way for my to get it fixed? The speakers have a warranty, but I'm not sure what it would take for it to get replaced/fixed. Alternately, could some local place like Hi-Fi Buys fix it?
Thanks for helping a novice.

------------------
My DVDs
Old 09-12-00, 02:04 PM

If it's a plastic dome, you could try to kinda massage the dent out. It should spring back unnoticeably if it isn't creased. Unless you can prove it was like that out of the box, i doubt they'll fix for free. If it's really stubborn, you could try using a small sewing needle to poke in and pursuade the dent out. the dent would distort the sound in theory but minimally I'm sure. Plus, they're your speakers, if it isn't noticeable to you, who cares?

------------------
Sony 32" Trinitron
Onkyo TX-DS575x
Pioneer DV-525
JBL Music1 mains, Phase Technology 1C center, Advent Baby II surrounds, Infinity BU-120 sub
Old 09-12-00, 02:31 PM

DNMonty: do you mean minimally puncture the plastic with the needle and get the dent out? just wanted to make sure, because it would seem like its not a good idea to do that. But then again, i really don't know alot about this.
Old 09-12-00, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best to return the speaker for a replacement.

If you can't return it, here is the standard technique: use a vacuum cleaner (the kind with a hose, not an upright). Remove any attachments to the hose. SLOWLY, VERY SLOWLY move the hose toward the dented dome; the dent will (usually) pop right out.

Do not puncture the dome (it will still produce sound and you might not notice a difference) but it will harm the speaker.

[This message has been edited by audrey (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old 09-12-00, 06:20 PM

that's a good idea, audrey. i'll have to try that when i get home. i'd rather not return it since i ordered them directly from harmon-karden through a circuit city employee. i don't want to package up the speaker, ship it back, wait forever, etc.
Old 09-13-00, 09:01 PM

Just wondering, Did that really work??
Old 09-14-00, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
You may not notice it, but it does affect the sound. If it was like that from the get-to, then you've nothing to compare it against.
Old 09-14-00, 05:20 PM

Another technique I read for getting the dent out is by using tape or puddy or something sticky that you can press lightly onto the dented area and then slowly pull out.
Old 09-14-00, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used a suction cup dart from a Nerf toy gun to pull one of mine out after a kid pushed it in. Worked great.

------------------
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming..."
Have you played Atari today?
Old 09-14-00, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have never used a vacuum on a tweeter which it sounds like it is in this case. I have used one on a woofer dust cap and it worked.

I would recommend using a small amp vacuum. If you use a Shop Vac or something it will pull it right from the box, Duh! that would suck

Also depending on the store they might be able to give you a replacement speaker driver instead of replacing the whole speaker cabinet.