Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Great Bargain on a DTS system?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Great Bargain on a DTS system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-00, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found a great sounding Dolby Digital and DTS receiver at the Best Buy website and I was wondering what you guys think about it:
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...1&cat=3&scat=4

It sounds like the perfect buy for someone who wants to enjoy DVDs at home with great sounding audio. It's not gonna blast out your windows, but it can be great for average movie lovers. (or am I reading it wrong?
Old 09-12-00, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This isn't a DD/DTS receiver.

It's 5.1 ready.

"For the complete Dolby Digital/dts sound experience, all you have to do is plug an external decoder -- or DVD player with a decoder built in -- to the 5.1 channel input. Enjoy it now, upgrade and enjoy it then."
Old 09-12-00, 06:44 PM

Yes, but it does say that it's a receiver. so I was under the assumption that your dvd player is the decoder that it needs.

I already have a dvd player that has a built in dts decoder. So I was wondering if I buy this,and connect it to my player, will I get true dts sound?
Old 09-12-00, 06:46 PM

Ditto. There is no DD/ DTS decoder present here. It says explicitly you will have to purchase an external decoder.
Old 09-12-00, 06:50 PM

"--or dvd player with decoder built in"

my dvd player has the "dts" logo on it, so it's got a decoder built in.
Old 09-12-00, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jar Jar Fett:
"--or dvd player with decoder built in"

my dvd player has the "dts" logo on it, so it's got a decoder built in.
<HR>

No, it doesn't. Most DVD players have the "DTS" and "Dolby Digital" logos on them to show that they can output that signal, but it will still be scrambled. I am unaware of any DVD player that decodes DTS on its own, but if you would like to post your make and model, we'd probably be able to provide web proof to show that it doesn't.

------------------
Need a hug? Just ask and please specify type (cuddly, regular, bear) and duration (quickie, regular, let's have a kid).
Old 09-12-00, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just wanted to add if you use buy.com's 50 off 500 coupon with this receiver: Yamaha 596 and maybe some dvds you want, it's a pretty good deal. Or you can use a lesser coupon and not have to get DVD's with it.

[This message has been edited by cartman (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old 09-12-00, 07:07 PM

I have this model:
http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetai...CI302,00.html?

so does everyone need a separate decoder to get dts? do all of you have a decoder? why would a player lie about dts capability?
Old 09-12-00, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have this model:
http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetai...CI302,00.html?

so does everyone need a separate decoder to get dts? do all of you have a decoder? why would a player lie about dts capability?
<HR>

From the page above: "Dolby Digital and DTS Bit Stream Output"

This means your player outputs an undecoded digital DTS bitstream. With the receiver you're looking at, you'd need a player that outputs DTS in decoded analog 5.1 format.

Most people who have DTS/DD 5.1 systems have receivers that decode these bitstreams (such as the one recommended a few posts ago).

-S
Old 09-12-00, 07:23 PM

stevevt:

wow, really? that sucks, then!

Well, thank you though. oh, but I do have Dolby Digital capability tho, right?
Old 09-12-00, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wow, really?<HR>

Yes.

Well, thank you though. oh, but I do have Dolby Digital capability tho, right?<HR>

You will only get Dolby Digital if you get a receiver (or processor) with a DD decoder. Your player outputs an encoded bitstream only (for both DD and DTS).

So you should be looking at receivers with built-in DD and DTS decoders. Stay away from those that say 5.1 ready or "Dolby Digital ready" or "Dolby Digital/DTS ready".

-S
Old 09-12-00, 07:34 PM

Thanks, stevevt, I almost went out and bought that POS. I will keep looking. I did find one interesting dts decoder (this one actually is a decoder) for $279 on the site. Is that a good price?

here's the link: http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...1&cat=3&scat=4

[This message has been edited by Jar Jar Fett (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old 09-12-00, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

...$249 on the site. Is that a good price?
<HR>

Well, I like the number. 2...4...9... It just rolls off the tongue.

In all seriousness, it depends entirely on the following:
* what is the make/model
* will it suit your needs

If you search this forum, I'm sure you can find all kinds of suggestions on things to look for.

Some examples:
* video switching
* # of digital inputs (optical vs. coax, etc.)
* # of analog inputs
* layout of the remote

You should be able to find some pretty ok Pioneers, Kenwoods, and maybe a few others in the $200 to $250 range. $300 will probably get you an Onkyo or Sony. I'm guessing and semi-recalling the info I've read here.
www.audioreview.com is another place to look for user reviews.

Good luck.

-S
Old 09-12-00, 07:46 PM

stevevt, you've helped a lot.

I will be more careful in the future.
Old 09-12-00, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

stevevt, you've helped a lot.

I will be more careful in the future.
<HR>

You were plenty careful.

Careless would be defined as "Hey, look at the great deal I just bought. What do you guys think?" or "Look at the great deal I just bought. Why am I not getting 5.1 sound?"

-S
Old 09-12-00, 08:04 PM

By the way, I have a Playstation 2 already on Preorder. Based on the technical specs of this system, it does imply that it has a built-in dolby-digital decoder as well as a DTS decoder. The question now is, should I buy the cheap reciever and use it with the playstation 2?

The PS2 specs:

"Sound Chip
The SPU2 sound chip can crank out up to 48 channels of simultaneous sound. Backed by 2MB of dedicated RAM, the chip can pump out CD-quality sampling rates of 44.1 kHz at 16 bits. Higher-quality sampling of 48 kHz at up to 24 bit sound is also supported for viewing DVDs in DTS (Digital Theater Sound) quality. In addition, the SPU2 can produce Dolby Digital Sound which uses the same data rates (48 kHz at up to 24 bits)."

the wording is kinda sketchy, but it does imply that there is an encoder built-in and not just an "encoded bit stream". What do you think?
Old 09-12-00, 08:24 PM

no the ps2 doesn't have a built in decoder. dont be fooled by wording make sure it clearly says "built in decoder". trust me if it has one they are going to advertise it
Old 09-12-00, 08:36 PM
BEC

96Khz/24 bit is a pretty typical decoder spec for either DD or DTS, so it sounds like the PS2 is downconverting to 48Khz- perhaps to 2 channel PCM (i.e. CD playback mode). Still, it's real hard to tell what you're going to get.

WHY CHANCE IT?

A decent entry level DTS receiver runs under $250. IMO, you are NOT getting your money's worth by spending $50-$100 less for a crappy receiver w/no decoders.

Old 09-12-00, 11:53 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by stevevt:
You should be able to find some pretty ok Pioneers, Kenwoods, and maybe a few others in the $200 to $250 range. $300 will probably get you an Onkyo or Sony. I'm guessing and semi-recalling the info I've read here.<HR>

Semi-difficult question here. Is it possible for one to rank the various brand name receivers according to quality? I asked a audiophile salesman about the different categories of receivers (and speakers) and he listed them as follows: mass-market, mid hi-fi, hi-fi, hi-end, and esoteric.

I know this may be a completely arguable, moot subject, where everyone will have their own opinion. However, in other consumer markets, there IS a definite hierarchy of quality. For example, cars.

Economy: Hyundai, Yugo
Standard: Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, etc.
Mid-Upper luxury: high end Toyotas, Hondas, Acura, Infinity
luxury: BMW, Mercedes, Lexus
super-luxury: Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, Lambourghini

So, is there a hierarchy for receivers? The main reason I ask this is because I really want to stay away from mass-market garbage. I want something middle of the road. I am willing to spend $400 for my receiver, which must have a DD/DTS decoder and have multiple digital inputs.

I'm sure there are other categories and makes I missed. But you get the point.

The reason I didnt ask this question for speakers because I know that speakers are much, much more subjective. But I'm curious, is there a hierarchy ranking for speakers?

Old 09-13-00, 02:16 AM

Jar Jar Fett.. My advise is for your kind of budget, get a receiver with onboard DD/DTS decoding, it is becoming more common now. That way you are sure to get DD/DTS decoding. Also make sure that the receiver could accept the kind of digital bitsream output from your PS2 or whatever DVD player you have (DD coax, DD RF coax, toslink).

------------------
---I_disappear!----
Old 09-13-00, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As has already been mentioned like the majority of DVD players the PS2 does NOT decode DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1. It merely passes the raw signal. This means you still have to have a receiver that is capable of decoding the DD and DTS bitstream outputs.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 09-13-00, 01:45 PM

Thank you all so much. I am going to the Best Buy store on Friday to get my reciever. I will definately make sure it has a deocoder before I buy!
Old 09-14-00, 07:21 PM

I got my Onkyo 575X from onecall.com for around $400 shipped. I pricematched with http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/p...y=613&Class=64 so they ended up doing $379 with $15 for FedEx 2Day air shipping. I moved from an Onkyo 313Pro prologic and am so glad I stuck with Onkyo. I never had a problem with my now 7 year old 313 and have loved my 575x since I got it. Make sure you get either a coax or optical cable for DDD/DTS. I'm now a DTS convert now that I've heard the difference. BTW, the X is the newer model that includes SVHS switching.

------------------
Sony 32" Trinitron
Onkyo TX-DS575x
Pioneer DV-525
JBL Music1 mains, Phase Technology 1C center, Advent Baby II surrounds, Infinity BU-120 sub