Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

TAX , DUTY & SHIPPING TO THE UK

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

TAX , DUTY & SHIPPING TO THE UK

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-00, 04:19 PM
dom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys
this is sort of a continuation from the "importing dvd players".

I just wanted to know how much i would have to pay on a $300 player if i were to import it into the uk. Has any body actually done it without a friend in the us??

If so, how much was the shipping costs??

Also , does any one know if i can dodge tax cause im paying for the player via gcs which i have not brought -hence im sorta getting it free.

Any way, let me know

thanks
dom
Old 05-31-00, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm 99.9% sure that paying with GC's won't dodge tax... they do it by the goods value not how much you paid for it, so it'll almost certainly be customs-labelled at its full value. (Most retailers are pretty uncooperative when it comees to deliberately under-declaring goods values for customs, especially with big things...)
Old 05-31-00, 05:35 PM
Banned

There is 17.5% VAT, and video recorders are around 14%, and I don't think an extra third on the price is worth it, assuming DVD is taxed in teh same way.

I confess I was worried about my X files season one arriving without customs duty, as it was $100, but I was lucky. As for the GCs, well, you could have bought yourself the gcs in the first place, so that won't wash with customs, although its a nice try.

Hey, I only PAID £20 for this!
Old 05-31-00, 07:25 PM

Talking from experience. You aren't really going to get a great deal with importing electrical items. 'cos you've also got the extra expense of power supply, and warranty etc. Why not save your GC's for DVD's and buy a multi-region player in the UK. I got my multi-regioned Toshiba SD2109 for £240. Which although being a few quid more, saves you the hassle of recieving damaged goods, or waiting for weeks for it to arrive. It's hard enough getting a r1 dvd in quick-time, let alone a player!

------------------
Wicked
Old 05-31-00, 09:07 PM
Banned

I brought home my US DVD players on US trips. I got a really good deal on them, and avoided customs duty by casually walking through the green channel. But unless you are a regular US traveller, its not always a good idea to buy there. Getting warranty on an import is hard, and I have a Pioneer that doesn't work properly and I have NO idea when Pioneer are going to correct the design fault. Whats my other option? Send the player back and try to get my money back from 4500 miles away?