Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Using a region 1 DVD-player in Europe

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Using a region 1 DVD-player in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-00, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to buy a DVD-player at Amazon with my Jaboom GC's. Will I be able to just hook it up to an European wall socket (using an adapter for the connector ofcourse)? Do all DVD-players have 110 and 230 Volt modes?
Old 05-08-00, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Salaman, Amazon won’t ship electrical goods outside the US so I’m assuming you have a friend in the States you can ship to. For use within Europe you’ll need a step-down transformer available from any Radio Shack in the US for $10-15 as their players are generally speaking not dual-voltage.

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human
Old 05-22-00, 02:32 PM

I want to do the same thing. Ship a R1 player to Europe. What about the NTSC/PAL difference ? Is there an easy (cheap) solution to that ?

And would customs give me a problem ?
Old 05-23-00, 08:43 AM

noempie,
you'll have a problem viewing PAL-discs as most R1-players will cut off the picture. And (if you don't have a TV that accepts YUV signals) you'll loose some quality as American players don't provide the European component video signal via SCART. Why don't you go for a region free European player (e.g. the Yamakawa 715 for about 250 Euro)?
Old 05-24-00, 04:49 PM
dom

I was thinking about the same thing!
Ordering via amazon with gcs. I dont have any contacts in the us so im gonna try and tell amazon to ship to a dhl hub in the us and then tell dhl to forward it on to me.

Thats the only way i guess. As for ntsc\pal, amazon sell a converter so it may be worth looking at. I aint got enough gcs ready though and itll be a while till i do so let me know how it goes for you guys.

DOm

P.s what model player you going for??
Old 05-26-00, 12:36 PM

I can tell you that I have positive experience using a US DVD player in Europe. I bought it online in December. Prices in Europe were just crazy and since I have no problems with English I decided to get the player in the US, besides it's easier to buy DVDs online in the States. A US friend of mine brought it in here in January.

Mine TV is multisystem, it's compatible with all TV standards so I just connect the player to TV via S-video cable. I think it's the best way since you won't see much difference between S-video and RGB connection, I might even say regular AV connection works just fine. So you won't need RGB anyway.

The only problem with US players is that they support only 110V. To remedy this together with my I order I bought (also online) a step down transformer for $28. This way I just plug in the DVD into the transformer and everything is OK.

By the way there are some online retailers (dvdexpress, outpost and some others) that do ship overseas. So it's not a problem, but dvdexpress has outrageous prices. At these prices you can buy all you need in Europe. Outpost on the contrary has regular US low prices.

Presently I'm thinking about buying a new DD/DTS receiver in the US. Again what they charge you here in Europe is out of this world. For the price you pay in Europe for the basic Dolby ProLogic receiver you'll be able to buy a middle-top level DD/DTS unit in the US.
Old 05-26-00, 04:34 PM
dom

Serge mate

Where did you get your player\adapter from ??
What model was it because i have to look for it on amazon.com (adapter +player)

Please let me know!

Im glad of your positive feed back.
Old 05-31-00, 06:52 AM

Sorry for the delay. Been away for a while.

The model I bought was a Toshiba SD-2109. I got a promo coupon from theglobe.com. They have a partner shopping site shop.theglobe.com so when I received the coupon I thought why not give it a try, I paid around USD190 plus free shipping. I chose Toshiba because I did a thorough research when I decided to get myself a DVD player, read numerous reviews, talked to a lot of people and finally was convinced that Toshiba is the right player to buy. The company is one of the developers of the DVD standard. You might also know that some of the players have problems reading DVDs, some have video/audio problems. I've had my player for about 6 months and never had a single problem. Besides everybody says and I now can confirm that Toshibas have most probably the best video quality comparable to that found in far more expensive models from other manufacturers.

Note that this year they have a newer model -SD1200 but basically it's the same as SD2109. All told I would really recommend Toshiba. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is buying from shop.theglobe.com but I'm not sure if they sell electronics now. I placed the order, received a confirmation email. The player was supposed to arrive in three days, it didn't. They also wouldn't reply to my email messages and their toll free number was always busy. I won't tell you how I made it (unless you are in trouble) but in the long run a month later they sent it to me UPS next day air.

The transformer I use is a 100W step down transformer by Voltage Valet. I bought it from www.travelsupplies.com. It goes for USD26.95. If you check their site you'll find it in ELECTRICAL/Converters (Step Down) they have a photo and description. These guys are great, sent it next day, no problems.

I also made a mistake in my last posting -it's DVDCITY not dvdexpress which sells audio/video equipment overseas. All the rest is true, prices are crazy.
Old 05-31-00, 05:38 PM
Banned

I have bought 2 DVD players from the US, and both play PAL DVDs fine. They need voltage converters, but other than that tehre's no problem. Most modern TVs accept NTSC signals, and if you don't have a modern TV, why not?
Old 05-31-00, 06:09 PM
dom

Hey bear

What dvd modelas did ya buy from the US

im thinking of buying the toshiba sd3109 but i need to know about compatibility.
My tv is ntsc comp so thats ok.

And another thing, where did ya get your voltage converter from???
What brand is it??

Ta
dom