Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

kenwood htb-502

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-00, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody know anything about this system? just got it for under 350.00. just wondered what the sound and performance etc. was like. anything you know would be appreciated. thanks.

------------------
"Fat man you shoot a great game of pool.
So do you Fast Eddie, so do you".

Fast Eddie Felson and Minnesota Fats in the Hustler (Newman and Gleason)
Old 09-12-00, 08:37 PM

go check out www.audioreview.com
Old 09-12-00, 08:51 PM

i've read all the reviews on www.audioreview.com but i was wondering what any of your thoughts were since this is where i get most of the advice that i use when purchasing dvds and equipment. the reviews on audioreview were glowing though.

------------------
"Fat man you shoot a great game of pool.
So do you Fast Eddie, so do you".

Fast Eddie Felson and Minnesota Fats in the Hustler (Newman and Gleason)
Old 09-12-00, 09:00 PM

do you know what model reciever it comes with. i have htb-503 vr-407 and i love the reciever but the speakers are crap
Old 09-12-00, 09:08 PM
BEC

The vr-309 receiver is pretty good - one of the best bargain buys. Lot's of good reviews.

The sub is boomy -probably impressive to first time owners, but somewhat fatiguing and bloated to more discerning listeners. 8" driver won't do it for a larger room.

Main/center speakers pretty weak. Not much
bass extention. Not much soundstage. Not real clear. On par w/the speaker built in to a TV set.

Rears - very poor. On par w/desk top computer speakers.

You get alot for the money. Most people who go this route are happy enough. It's usually people who want bang-for-the-buck, i.e., my grand parents. Make no mistake though, the speakers are REAL low-fi gear - about as cheaply made as possible. IMO, your "bang" is pretty small.

The usual upgrade path is to immediately replace the supplied "speaker wire".
Eventually ditch the rears, put the mains in back, and get a decent pair for the fronts/center. Then get either another sub and/or pair of rears.

Little or no re-sale value for the speakers.

For $350, not bad for the receiver and sub alone.

robp,

Believe it or not the HTB-503 has BETTER main speakers than the ones supplied with the HTB-502.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited September 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old 09-12-00, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the 502. Didnt realize that the 503 had different speakers. I used this for a year in my dorm room at school, and at home in my bedroom, and it sounds fine for in a small room. I did just order some Polk speakers from Crutchfield (RT35i's for the mains, a CS245i center, and a pair of RT10's for surrounds -- the RT10's were free), though I'm keeping the 502 sub for now... I'll get a different one in 6-12 months or so.

Brian
Old 09-12-00, 09:35 PM

the 502 speakers are worse? i didnt know that i thought the ones i had were crap. i replaced my main speakers with some old model sanyo's i had. they sound better although not much. theyre good for now. would you recomend me switching my old mains to the rear. do you think it will make a difference on the htb-503
Old 09-12-00, 10:01 PM
BEC

The 502 had skinnier speakers w/a flimsier case. The 503 speakers are a LITTLE heftier, probably fewer cabinet resonances. Spec-wise, I think the bass goes a little deeper. Performance wise, they're both still crappy. It's not a big improvement.

The Kenwood mains will give you more bass than the Kenwood rears. Definitely more bang.

It's at least worth a try while you're saving up for the next upgrade.