Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for center/surround speakers

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need suggestions for center/surround speakers

Old 09-10-00, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I have cheapo surround speakers (from an old boom-box) that I was using with my Dolby Receiver. (yes, the original Dolby Surround, not pro logic) So I will also need a center channel. I ordered a Onkyo 575x and it should be here shortly as well as my HSU Research Subwoofer. I just need new surrounds and a center speaker. I don't have a lot to spend, but give your suggestions and/or tips to help me find what I want. Thanks!

DuBob
Old 09-10-00, 10:28 PM

You will lots of different opinions, but for the money I don't think you can beat Paradigms. You can check out their web site at paradigm.ca for different models. There are lots of reviews on them at audioreview.com.
Old 09-11-00, 02:58 AM

since speakers are very subjective in nature i wont even attempt to tell you what kind is good. for my setup I use PSB speakers (Candadian), same driver size for surrounds and center. try to match the speakers, you don't want a ferrari to sound like a hyundai in the center and a lawn mower in the rears as the sound moves around you... I phone ordered my speakers from Canada, taking advantage of the exchange rate and NAFTA tax free policy. the savings is worth the while.
Old 09-11-00, 12:59 PM
SEH

Another Canadian manufacturer: Energy. I think these represent excellent value for the money and the quality is fantastic. Been using the 10" sub, which shakes the walls. I recently purchased dipole surrounds by Energy which I can't say enough good things about. Check out audioshop.on.ca when you are ready, because they were giving better prices than you can find in the States. Congrats on the upgrade.
Old 09-11-00, 02:43 PM

Well I already have a subwoofer on the way and I want to match the center and surround speakers. I couldn't find anywhere online to order some Paradigm Surrounds and Center. I am looking at the ADP-170 surrounds. Anyone know of a place to get them online?

Thanks,
DuBob
Old 09-11-00, 04:34 PM

You can't - or aren't supposed to be able to buy Paradigms online. Paradigm won't honor any warranty problems if you do. As Idissapear mentioned, with free trade and the exchange rate, if you can buy them up here you can save yourself some serious money.
Old 09-11-00, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by webbo:
You can't - or aren't supposed to be able to buy Paradigms online. Paradigm won't honor any warranty problems if you do. As Idissapear mentioned, with free trade and the exchange rate, if you can buy them up here you can save yourself some serious money.<HR>

Idissapear says he ordered them over the phone. I fail to see how is that substantially different from ordering online. I auditioned them a couple of days ago and have to admit I was quite impressed. However, I shy away from products that seem to discourage competition and are the same price everywhere. Smells like price fixing.
Old 09-12-00, 03:58 PM

Well, as much as I wanted the Paradign's, I opted for Polk Dip/Bipolar rears (300's) and the 245i center channel. I got them from Crutchfield. (ordered yesterday late in the afternoon, and they are here today! standard ground shipping!) I also got my Onkyo 575x receiver today. Now I am waiting for my HSU Research TN1220 Sub which should be here shortly. At least I have something to do tonight!

BTW, I am running 16 gauge speaker wire for the rear channels. Any opinions on this? I know the heavier the gauge, the better but this is all one place had.

DuBob