Old 02-02-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Friday Night Lights -- "Texas Whatever" -- 2/02/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Eric receives an enticing offer; Tim greets a familiar face and thinks about his future; a decision is made about East Dillon's football program.

Episode 12 of 13

Next week is the series finale

FYI, the show will premiere on NBC April 15th at 8pm about 10 days after the DVD release.

Here's the press release for the DVD with list of extras:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Fri...Season-5/14976
Old 02-02-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday Night Lights -- "Texas Whatever" -- 2/02/11

Loved this episode. I was bit sad to see that
Spoiler:
Grandma Lorraine has gotten worse with her dementia.

I will be sad next Wednesday night.
Old 02-03-11, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk God

That was a great episode, although quite depressing. Next Wednesday is going to be a sad day.

Tami and Eric's conversation about her future & his coaching career was a very real and poignant moment.

It was great seeing Tyra again. I know they haven't been a couple since season 1, but I always felt that Tyra would come back into Tim's life somehow. IMO, they have always had some kind of bond even when she was "involved" with Landry. at Tim's plan to move to Alaska and work the Pipelines and Tyra's reaction to it.

You know I'm curious about how much an Assistant High School Football coach makes. It kind of puzzled me that Billy was really counting on keeping that job to now support 3 children.

I'm really looking forward to the series finale next week, but they have alot to wrap up in 1 hour. For a show that never got great ratings and probably would have been cancelled after season 2, I'm grateful to Directv for believing in this show and co-financing it to keep it on for 3 more seasons.

Awesome job by Kyle Chandler directing this episode. I checked and this was his 1st directing gig in 11 years!!

FYI, I read Alan Sepinwall's blog and he says the series finale runs a full 60 minutes
Old 02-03-11, 06:07 AM
Banned

I hope these episodes aren't NBC chopped for the DVD like last season.
Old 02-03-11, 07:43 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Tami and Eric's conversation about her future & his coaching career was a very real and poignant moment.
Although when she brought up the potential income it would provide their family, she kind of lost a point IMO...I'm sure she would make real nice money in a position like that, maybe even close to what Eric would make as a D1 football coach? But if you want to use the income argument, the upside of Eric as a football coach would be MUCH higher, I think.
Old 02-03-11, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Eric Taylor is acting like an idiot. Period.
He's all about him.
Three weeks ago, he was thisclose to leaving his beloved Dillon football team and going where the money was and where his ego would be inflated. And that was BEFORE they dismantled the team.
And now his wife has an opportunity to do something SHE wants ... he doesn't have a football team anymore, heck as far as he knows he doesn't have a job after this big game and he can't even find the words to congratulate her?
Does he think they don't have HS football in Pennsylvania?
Really?
*SMACK* on the side of the head. And stop acting like everything revolves around you.

I actually chuckled when they made it seem that Julie hasn't been home in months... wasn't she just there 2 weeks ago?

Matt Saracen is a scene stealer. He can be on screen for 10 seconds or 10 minutes, he steals every scene. LOVE him.

I think the actor that plays Buddy's son must have really hurt his leg in real life because he's been on those crutches a long time .. in tv world, he would have been healed by the next episode.
Old 02-03-11, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya

That was a great episode, although quite depressing. Next Wednesday is going to be a sad day.

It was great seeing Tyra again. I know they haven't been a couple since season 1, but I always felt that Tyra would come back into Tim's life somehow. IMO, they have always had some kind of bond even when she was "involved" with Landry. at Tim's plan to move to Alaska and work the Pipelines and Tyra's reaction to it.

You know I'm curious about how much an Assistant High School Football coach makes. It kind of puzzled me that Billy was really counting on keeping that job to now support 3 children.

I'm really looking forward to the series finale next week, but they have alot to wrap up in 1 hour. For a show that never got great ratings and probably would have been cancelled after season 2, I'm grateful to Directv for believing in this show and co-financing it to keep it on for 3 more seasons.

Awesome job by Kyle Chandler directing this episode. I checked and this was his 1st directing gig in 11 years!!

FYI, I read Alan Sepinwall's blog and he says the series finale runs a full 60 minutes
I thought the same thing too about Billy. I might be wrong but wasn't he still doing mechanic work at Riggins' Riggs and was just taking to the assistant coaching job as something to do and to learn from Coach. I sort of remember in the season premiere he mentioned it to Tim.

Billy hasn't really wised up. In the last episode when the budget cuts came up, he basically said he had a better chance of keeping his coaching job because Stan is annoying. Stan probably had a better chance of staying on as a coach because he had years of experiencing coaching pee-wee football.

Now with their only being one team. Crowley and Spivey might go back with the Panthers. I don't see the Panthers boosters hiring Billy or Stan.
Old 02-03-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Eric Taylor is acting like an idiot. Period.
He's all about him.
Three weeks ago, he was thisclose to leaving his beloved Dillon football team and going where the money was and where his ego would be inflated. And that was BEFORE they dismantled the team.
And now his wife has an opportunity to do something SHE wants ... he doesn't have a football team anymore, heck as far as he knows he doesn't have a job after this big game and he can't even find the words to congratulate her?
Does he think they don't have HS football in Pennsylvania?
Really?
*SMACK* on the side of the head. And stop acting like everything revolves around you.
While I think he could have been more gracious, I do not agree. He is a football coach and he loves Texas. To ask him to move out East because his wife got a (totally unplausible) job offer, where he has no job lined up, is certainly not a small deal. Seems like the time to have the conversation would have been much earlier: "So I'm going to PA for this interview." "I see. That is nice they're interested in you, but what, exactly, would our family do if they offered you the job?" Could he have been nicer about it? Of course. But I think he just seemed kind of stunned that his program's ending and he may be leaving TX. I'm SURE it will all work out next week...
Old 02-03-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by writer106
I thought the same thing too about Billy. I might be wrong but wasn't he still doing mechanic work at Riggins' Riggs and was just taking to the assistant coaching job as something to do and to learn from Coach. I sort of remember in the season premiere he mentioned it to Tim.

Billy hasn't really wised up. In the last episode when the budget cuts came up, he basically said he had a better chance of keeping his coaching job because Stan is annoying. Stan probably had a better chance of staying on as a coach because he had years of experiencing coaching pee-wee football.

Now with their only being one team. Crowley and Spivey might go back with the Panthers. I don't see the Panthers boosters hiring Billy or Stan.
I thought Riggins Riggs got shut down. I recall the Police raided their facility last season. But yeah I didn't think Billy was working as an Assistant as his sole income for his family.
Old 02-03-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by uteotw
I'm SURE it will all work out next week...
Something tells me you're right about that!

ET is still a jerk.
Old 02-03-11, 08:11 PM

I'm probably in the minority on this, and as nice as it was to see Tyra back, I never liked her with Tim. I thought her character grew and evolved the most when she was dating Landry. At least for me, Tim Riggins and Tyra never really had much of a connection at all.

I understand that in terms of love interests, there wasn't much to work with, in regards to Tim, and Tyra is certainly a more plausible romantic interest than having Layla come back, but I still never really liked her with Tim.

I'm going to be sad when this show ends next week. As soap-opera-ish as it can be sometimes, I'll miss the Taylors. They were the anchors of this show and probably the most realistically portrayed husband and wife on television.
Old 02-03-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
I'm probably in the minority on this, and as nice as it was to see Tyra back, I never liked her with Tim. I thought her character grew and evolved the most when she was dating Landry. At least for me, Tim Riggins and Tyra never really had much of a connection at all.
I found that strange too.

I found the Buddy scenes to be the best part of the episode.
Old 02-04-11, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The writers on this show really know how to ratchet up the tension and stakes for these characters. Can't believe only one episode left.
Old 02-04-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
I actually chuckled when they made it seem that Julie hasn't been home in months... wasn't she just there 2 weeks ago? .
That's what I thought at first but realized that since last episode had the Lions playing like 4 games, she hasn't been home for at least 5 or 6 weeks....just to us it hasn't felt like long.
Old 07-09-11, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk God

FYI, this was the episode that aired on Friday Night on NBC. In case any of you NBC viewers want to share your thoughts.

Plus, I don't want to see that 6-31-11 thread ever again.

There is also a thread for the Series Finale from the Directv airings.

The episode is called "Always" Glad that NBC is airing it as a 90 minute finale.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/587...2-09-11-a.html
Old 07-09-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I was looking for the 6-38-11 thread, but I couldn't find it.

I was a little surprised to see some of the reaction in this thread. I thought Tammy was acting awfully self-righteous with her 18 years nonsense for someone who ripped her family apart 3 years ago so she could stay on as a high school guidance counselor. And that job that Eric accepted in season one wasn't some big surprise; they'd known about it for a while. She comes home and springs moving to PA the week he is going to state, and she expects him to be jumping up and down about it. The week before they had decided to stay in Dillon.
Old 07-09-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear the NBC is giving the finale 90 minutes so with commercials we should see ALL of the Direct TV episode.

Wonder if that includes any of the BTS montage?
Old 07-09-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Glad to hear the NBC is giving the finale 90 minutes so with commercials we should see ALL of the Direct TV episode.

Wonder if that includes any of the BTS montage?
Jason Katims said on the audio commentary for the series finale (that was recorded several months ago) that he wasn't sure if NBC was going to air the finale intact. So, I'm happy that NBC viewers, who haven't already purchased the DVD, can watch it intact. It would have been butchered badly if they chopped it up to 42-44 minutes with no commercials.
Old 07-11-11, 07:32 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe it will be over next episode. What an amazing show, the characters are unforgettable. Every dag on show that I love gets the axe too early.