Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" coming 4/15

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-02-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From The Digital Bits:

Warner Home Video has finally announced that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 will arrive on Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy Combo pack and single-disc DVD on 4/15 (SRP $35.99 and $28.98). The single-disc DVD will include additional scenes. The Blu-ray Combo will add an interactive Maximum Movie Mode (hosted by Jason Isaacs who plays Lucius Malfoy), additional scenes, an exclusive sneak peek at a scene from Part 2 (due in theatres this summer), 4 documentary featurettes (Dan, Rupert and Emma's Running Competition, The Seven Harrys, On the Green with Rupert, Tom, Oliver and James and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - Behind the Soundtrack), The Wizarding World of Harry Potter promotional trailer, a standard-definition DVD copy and a Digital Copy. WHV will also release new Harry Potter Years 1-7: Part 1 Giftsets on Blu-ray and DVD on 4/15 as well, including the initial releases of each film on disc (not the UCEs).
This marks the first time the DVD version of a Harry Potter movie has gotten the short end of the stick with regard to special features.

--THX
Old 02-03-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" coming 4/15

Who would ever bother buying a box set when there's only one film left?
Old 02-03-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Who would ever bother buying a box set when there's only one film left?
You'd be surprised at the number of people coming into my store this Christmas asking for a Harry Potter box set...
Old 02-03-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

People have been buying these box sets all along, the 1-5 set, the 1-6 set, and they'll surely buy the 1-7.1 set. People are idiots. If you buy one of these sets, and you complain later, you're an idiot. Plain and simple. If you buy it and don't complain, more power to you.
Old 02-03-11, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Do you remember how Paramount released the Star Trek movies as single disc editions, then went back and started doing them in two disc editions? Every couple of movies they would release a box set of all the Trek movies, but half would be the 2 disc versions and half would be the old single disc versions (which weren't always 16x9). Never underestimate the buying power of stupid people in large numbers.

Still haven't watched the last movie, I even bought the combo pack with the digital download and everything.
Old 02-09-11, 10:12 AM

Amazon has listed two different cover arts for Harry Potter.

Combo Pack
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edigitalbit-20

Single disc
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edigitalbit-20
Old 04-06-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I hope they eventually release deathly hollows as one entire film. Or is this doomed to be like Kill Bill?
Old 04-07-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I hope they eventually release deathly hollows as one entire film. Or is this doomed to be like Kill Bill?
I think they knew going into pre-production on Deathly Hallows that it would need to be two films. Kill Bill was originally conceived as one film but split for marketing/cost amortizing reasons. So I think you would just be causing yourself undue stress trying to wait for single film release of HP7.

To be honest, they should have started this with Goblet of Fire, which is when the books started getting really massive and sprawling. All the movies since then have suffered from the cuts.
Old 04-15-11, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has to be some sort of record for a Digital Copy: The DC with "Deathly Hallows" expires in less than five months.
Old 04-16-11, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
This has to be some sort of record for a Digital Copy: The DC with "Deathly Hallows" expires in less than five months.
Wow, every Warner I've seen has been consistently one year since release date.
Old 04-16-11, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I went to BB to get the 1 disc for $17, then decided to get the DVD/DC one, then found another one that had a lenticular cover and a bonus disc. I didn't even know about that one, it was the same price as the regular BD/DVD/DC one, so I got that one instead.
Old 04-16-11, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The bonus disc includes two documentaries:

- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Behind the Magic
A host takes a tour of the sets while conducting brief interviews with members of the cast and crew. The host makes a lot of jokes and "rides" a broomstick. approx 44 min.

- On the Road
This feature centers around the locations instead of sets. They basically explore most of the locations and the actors and production people talk about experiences working on location. They talk about Piccadilly Circus being closed down and how the forest chase was shot among other tidbits. Approximately 22 min.

They also have another version that has the 3-disc combo pack and a making-of book for "The Tale of the Three Brothers". I think it's $27.99.

pics from blu-ray.com:
Spoiler:

Old 04-17-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(Posted this in the wrong thread. More appropriate here.)

Have to say, quality control at Warner seems to have sunk with regard to DVD. The picture for Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is marred with mosquito noise. Looks terrible. Haven't looked at the films prior to those to see how far back the damage goes. They're not even trying anymore. For new releases-- maybe even re-releases-- you almost have to go Blu-ray now if you want decent video.

--THX
Old 04-18-11, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
This is nothing like Kill Bill being split into two movies.
It was decided well before pre production started that they were going to split the book into two films. kill bill was split into two films because the weinstiens are dumb and got scared that the long running time of the original cut of kill bill would be detrimental to Kill Bills box office take.
Old 04-19-11, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
kill bill was split into two films because the weinstiens are dumb and got scared that the long running time of the original cut of kill bill would be detrimental to Kill Bills box office take.
Actually, it was Quentin Tarantino's idea to have two volumes in the first place. He had so much footage and it was never supposed to be two films (according to the production from the studio). I'm sure Tarantino spent a lot of time working on the film envisioning it as an incredibly long epic but when it came to finishing the film(s) from a production standpoint Kill Bill had already gone over-budget, and it was his idea to end volume one on the note it reaches. Volume 2 wasn't even entirely finished until several months following the release of the first Volume. It was something that Tarantino continued to work on. I think this show's itself clearly in the two volumes. They work well when viewed together but each film stands apart individually as well.

It was smart for Kill Bill to be split between two volumes. Releasing the film as one incredibly long epic WOULD have hurt the box office revenue. This was an expensive production and not a lot of people like to sit through a four hour plus experience.... look at the theatrical revenue Grindhouse received. It was underwhelming. There is also the factor that theaters wouldn't have had anywhere near as many showtimes. It would have doomed Kill Bill from a financial standpoint.
Old 04-19-11, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GenPion
... look at the theatrical revenue Grindhouse received. It was underwhelming.
That had more to do with the fact the movie wasn't very good than it did the running time.
Old 04-19-11, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Do digital copies really expire? I know Disney movies say they have an expiration date on them, but I had several Disney movies that should have long since expired and when I recently found out that the digital copies expire I decided to go through my collection and put them all on my computer. Surprisingly all the digital copies worked. Even Disney uses Nightmare Before Christmas as an example to expire on August 26, 2009, but it still worked when I used it a few months ago. I haven't tried WB, however, so maybe they actually do expire. But I can tell you that Disney movies continue to still work, at least as of a few months ago.
Old 04-19-11, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by obidawsn
Do digital copies really expire? I know Disney movies say they have an expiration date on them, but I had several Disney movies that should have long since expired and when I recently found out that the digital copies expire I decided to go through my collection and put them all on my computer. Surprisingly all the digital copies worked. Even Disney uses Nightmare Before Christmas as an example to expire on August 26, 2009, but it still worked when I used it a few months ago. I haven't tried WB, however, so maybe they actually do expire. But I can tell you that Disney movies continue to still work, at least as of a few months ago.
Disney has extended the expiration dates of their digital copies to 24 months after release (at least for the movies listed on this site): http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/di...le/movies.html. Though, that website claims that the DC for Nightmare Before Christmas is no longer available (it came out in August of 2008, so it should have expired in August of 2010).
Old 04-19-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by obidawsn
I recently went through my collection to make sure I had redeemed all my digital copies. Like you say, Disney honored expired codes, and so did Paramount. But Warner Bros. did not. I had a couple of Warner titles that expired in December and they would not work. I sent an email to Warner's DC tech support and got an immediate automated response that basically said "tough luck."
Old 04-30-11, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to a member on blu-ray.com, the combo pack is supposed to be on a temporary price cut at Target starting tomorrow through May 21st for $14.99. FYI
Old 04-30-11, 06:51 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
According to a member on blu-ray.com, the combo pack is supposed to be on a temporary price cut at Target starting tomorrow through May 21st for $14.99. FYI
That was quick.
Old 05-01-11, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Nice. Similar to how A-Team and the Expendables dropped to 12.99 in week 2 (and suckered me into buying them).
Old 05-01-11, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon also has the $14.99 price today.
Old 05-01-11, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by basketb
Disney has extended the expiration dates of their digital copies to 24 months after release (at least for the movies listed on this site): http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/di...le/movies.html. Though, that website claims that the DC for Nightmare Before Christmas is no longer available (it came out in August of 2008, so it should have expired in August of 2010).
Anybody know when Prince Caspian expired? I ask because I had a DC and loaded it onto my computer on April 10 with no problems. Figured it should be expired but had no trouble redeeming it.
Old 05-01-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Amazon also has the $14.99 price today.
Yep and I had to do a triple take to make sure the price did match the set before adding to the cart. That's a heck of a deal. I'd be surprised that last for two days.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.