Old 02-01-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
"V" -- "Unholy Alliance" -- 2/01/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
After the radical faction of the Fifth Column murders three Peace Ambassadors, Erica goes on a mission to hunt down their leader, Eli Cohn (Oded Fehr), a former Mossad agent. Meanwhile, as Jack and other priests around the globe begin to speak out against the Visitors, Anna heads to the Vatican in an effort to convince the leaders of organized religion that the Visitors truly are "of peace."

Episode 4 of 10
Old 02-01-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: "V" -- "Unholy Alliance" -- 2/01/11

You know you've written a bad character when every time I see a dead body on the show I hope it's Tyler.
Old 02-01-11, 08:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Wagenbach!
Old 02-01-11, 10:11 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
You know you've written a bad character when every time I see a dead body on the show I hope it's Tyler.
Amen.

... and tonight was no different.
Old 02-01-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me or is every episode starting to seem identical? A few "resistance" fighters stand around but don't really do anything. There's some metaphysical nonsense that takes itself waaaay too seriously. Then Anna wants to get the 5th Column, but doesn't really do anything concrete about it.

Do something already.
Old 02-01-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Yawn. I wish they had kept FastForward going.
Old 02-01-11, 11:49 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

The whole 'V's trying to separate the human soul' angle they added to the storyline this season certainly adds another dimension to the storytelling the original series episodes didn't have.

But I suspect the writers must have read Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' series over the summer break since so many of the ideas seem directly lifted. The religious aspects of this episode and the whole science (the visitors) vs. faith (humans) argument stuck out in particular as well as the experiments the V's conduct on their ship with the claw-like operating table meant to separate the soul from the body.

I wish this series had better writing and more time spent developing these ideas instead of just rehashing someone else's along with their own half-recycled plot lines from the original series.

This show always seems like it is one step away from a breakthrough plot point that will elevate it into something truly special but I suspect it will be canceled long before it ever reaches that level.
Old 02-02-11, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Wagenbach!
Yes, good to see him in this show.

Also, it was real good to see Oded Fehr, too. I liked him from "Sleeper Cell" and remember his appearance last summer in "Covert Affairs".

Two good additions.

But, I'm not really liking this road they seem headed down where religion and "the human soul" will take on, ... and presumably prevail ... against the godless/souless aliens. The right-wing nut evangelical religious types will start liking this show, I guess.
Old 02-02-11, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

ef you "V"!!
Old 02-02-11, 02:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The whole dynamic of the new partner investigating Erica is interesting but it would be great, like show saving, if some random Eli-Fifth Column person killed Tyler and made her conflicted. He's as annoying as the original V-happy teen but doesn't serve a real purpose.
Old 02-02-11, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd much rather see Tyler killed by a member of the Fifth Column (perhaps Hobbes), but made to look as though it was a V that did it so we could see Erica go into vengeful mother mode.

---

Also, it's funny because I was just thinking this episode how careless Erica seems to have been about meeting with Jack and Hobbes and wondered if it would ever catch up to her. Glad to see that it's going to.
Old 02-02-11, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Fast forwarding may be a good option through certain parts of this. Me, I wish that FlashForward was still going.
Old 02-02-11, 01:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

The crappy CGI in this show kills my enthusiasm considerably...
Old 02-02-11, 03:12 PM

The CGI is the least of its problems.
Old 02-02-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
I guess they're going to trick us with this every week. Hopefully it's leading to his eventual demise, but I doubt it.
Old 02-02-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I was at the part where they landed on The Vatican. So awful.

I really want to like this show but there's just very little to like about it. The stories are blah. The new soul angle is . The human characters are either uninteresting or flat out annoying (agree with the others who were fruitlessly hoping Tyler was strung up). The Vs are somewhat interesting.

Hopefully the new partner (who will always be Dutchboy to me) and the terrorist guy from Sleeper Cell characters can inject some life into the show.
Old 02-02-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

is it just me, or is V the longest hour on television? I'm (more or less) enjoying it, or at least tolerating it, but it seems like a two and a half hour movie every Tuesday night. I swear I thought it was over last night, but it was only 9:25.
Old 02-02-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

This episode is a complete bore. I'm about half way through and I'm having a hard time caring about keeping up.
Old 02-03-11, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I thought the episode was entertaining. What makes the show for me is Elizabeth Mitchell and Joel Gretsch. I think they have been solid as the leads. But, I do get alot of your frustrations that a show about Humanoid-Lizard people taking over the world shouldn't take itself too seriously, especially with all these deep themes of religion and human soul. I'm not a fan of Anna's absurd quest to destroy the human soul.

I did get a good laugh at the horrible green screen effects of the Vatican. I don't know how they could have shot that any better though.

I really hate Tyler, especially after that ridiculous scene of him vandalizing Jack's office. I agree with all of you that he needs to be killed off so that it will send Erica over the edge.

Before the season started, I was excited about Jane Badler having a recurring part on this season, but they haven't given her shit to do. Is she really just going to sit in that damn spaceship dungeon/basement the entire season? This episode with her killing the Vatican Priest was probably the most interesting thing she's contributed to the show so far.

I liked seeing Jay Karnes and Oded Fehr and hopefully they will add a new dynamic to the rest of the season.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-03-11 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-03-11, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Is it just me or is every episode starting to seem identical? A few "resistance" fighters stand around but don't really do anything. There's some metaphysical nonsense that takes itself waaaay too seriously. Then Anna wants to get the 5th Column, but doesn't really do anything concrete about it.

Do something already.
That was the problem with the original series as well. You have one group strike at the other and then regroup and then do the same thing over again.
I saw the episode was written by Farscapes, Rockne S. O'Bannon wrote which was a bit of an improvement over some of the other episodes but the characters are still very cardboard.
They need to give Diana more to do. She is the best part about this show.
Old 02-03-11, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Erica almost gets fond out! Tyler does something really fucking stupid! Father Jack and the old priest give each other dirty looks! Anna dangles the baby in front of Ryan! Chad the reporter is conflicted!

And everyone agrees that isn't time to act yet.
Old 02-03-11, 03:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Old Priest has to be a V right? Or is it going to be one of those things where you think he's a V and someone kills him but he's not and it makes that person "soul search?"
Old 02-03-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

+1. It destroys the moment (what moment there is) completely. Usually it's unnecessary too.
Old 02-03-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The science versus faith element is pretty lame and feels like the dialog is being written by Kirk Cameron for a TV series on the Hallmark channel. I keep waiting for the V scientist to let us know how many ounces he figured out the soul weighs.

While on faith... where the hell are all the Scientologists in the show? I figured they'd be the only faith with the huge membership upswing that'd have something interesting to add.
Old 02-04-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
This.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.