Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Finally! An explanation for "vanishing" commentary tracks in the UK!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Finally! An explanation for "vanishing" commentary tracks in the UK!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-00, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally found a halfway decent explanation for certain commentary tracks vanishing in the journey across the Atlantic... Due to the BBFC getting somewhat carried away with their cutting, there are very few films that make it past the censors totally unscathed... As a result, if even a few seconds is excised from a film, this screws up the synchronisation of the commentary track for the whole film; requiring either a re-editing of the commentary track (yeah, like that's gonna happen...) or the removal of the commentary altogether. For example, The Matrix had about 8 headbutts cut out, amounting to a total of about 3 seconds screen time... as a result of which, the commentary track vanished from the UK release of the disc. A similar rationale applies to "easter eggs" vanishing; since every last second of footage has to be shown to the UK censors to avoid legal trouble, it's a whole lot easier to lop off the (potentially) offending special features, easter eggs, etc... Damn, the UK sucks when it comes to censorship! Excuse me, I'm off to buy a copy of the American release of The Matrix, complete with illicit headbutting and commentary track...

<hr width=50%>It's true that no man is an island.
But, if you take a bunch of dead guys and nail them together, they make a pretty good raft.
redmeat.com
<hr width=50%><small>ICQ# 61040969 - Me and my DVDs</small>

Old 05-20-00, 09:59 PM

Before you buy the Region 1 Matrix,
Check out the Region 4 (Australian) copy.
Has the SAME uncut movie and all the extras of the R1, but is in PAL, and you should be able to get it for about £12 - £14 shipped.
I got mine from ezydvd in about 4 days.
Old 05-20-00, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks... but the price seems to have gone up there, and I managed to find it for £2.50 shipped at DVDDynamic... but at least I've got another shop now that I can check to see how much cheaper things are than in the UK

Edit... it was £12.50 shipped... f***ing "1" key's broken on my keyboard... sorry if I got anyone's hopes up!

[This message has been edited by TheyCallHimJim (edited May 21, 2000).]
Old 05-21-00, 03:11 PM

That would make some sense....Lazy b**t@*ds though, giving us sub-standard releases...

Never mind, while I have access to the Internet, and R1 prices stay as low........

------------------
Welshlad

[This message has been edited by Welshlad (edited May 21, 2000).]
Old 05-22-00, 08:59 PM
Banned

I can't see that it matters if it is PAL or not. When it comes down to it, the extra lines make for a negligable visible impact. We did some calculations once, and figured sitting 4" closer would make NTSC look that same as PAL.