Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dark Souls (Sequel to Demon Souls)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts
Dark Souls (Sequel to Demon Souls)

If anyone else loved Demon Souls like I did, you'll be happy to hear that a sequel has been made official. It can't get here fast enough. No word on a release yet, as far as I can tell.

http://www.destructoid.com/dark-soul...s-192993.phtml

Project Dark, the followup to 2009's critically acclaimed Demon's Souls, has been given an official name and the first concrete details. Excited? You should be. It's called Dark Souls and Famitsu has the latest Intel, all of which we're about to regurgitate for you.

* There will be a lot more exploration in Dark Souls, featuring wide open. seamless fields in which to traverse. Anything you see on screen, you can reach. That castle or dungeon in the background? You will get there eventually.
* The game has no map, just a position marker.
* Dark Souls will be as challenging as Demon's Souls. The team wants a game that will be tough, but ultimately rewarding. A sense of achievement is paramount.
* The game will play similarly to Demon's Souls. The plan is to kill you a lot, so you get better.
* Dark Souls is not set in the same world as Demon's Souls, and will have an original story. It will not have the same "hub" format, either, instead featuring a variety of maps connected to a seamless open world.
* Level designs will be more complex.
* Inspired by medieval dark fantasy, contains themes like "high fantasy of kings and knights", "death and the depths of the earth", and "the flames of chaos."
* Players will get a lot more freedom with how they choose to play the game. Character creation will not be class based. The number of spells and weapons will be increased, as will attack animations.
* Co-op and PvP will appear, with online connectivity similar to that of Demon's Souls. Just like the last game, you can watch other players die, and read messages they leave behind.
* No Soul Tendency this time, as the studio doesn't want dedicate servers. Instead the focus will be on "mutual roleplaying", something that will be detailed at another time.
Old 02-01-11, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noonan
* Dark Souls will be as challenging as Demon's Souls. The team wants a game that will be tough, but ultimately rewarding. A sense of achievement is paramount.
* The game will play similarly to Demon's Souls. The plan is to kill you a lot, so you get better.
Ugh. I was hoping for a shift on this for the sequel.
Old 02-01-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dark Souls (Sequel to Demon Souls)

As hard as I've tried to get into Demon's Souls, and as much as I know I'd eventually come to appreciate the experience, I haven't been able to get over the "play this same section 50 times until you memorize it and get it exactly right" approach, and I always give up at some point or another. My Asian mother would be highly disappointed.
Old 02-01-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts

I almost gave up on Demon Souls on the first level when I didn't understand how the game worked. Once I got into it, it became on of my favorite gaming experiences. Taking the same game play and putting it into a more open world makes this a day one purchase for me.
Old 02-01-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Demon's Souls difficulty was much overrated in my opinion.
Old 02-01-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
As hard as I've tried to get into Demon's Souls, and as much as I know I'd eventually come to appreciate the experience, I haven't been able to get over the "play this same section 50 times until you memorize it and get it exactly right" approach, and I always give up at some point or another. My Asian mother would be highly disappointed.
That's odd... my experience with Demon Souls was less reliant on memorization and more on being very careful and cautious when creeping into new territory, not overextending yourself when a bunch of souls were on the line, and not making dumb mistakes once you get the hang of certain sections and try to breeze by them. Although those damned Crystal Lizards do take some memorization and planning.

How did the game do over here? It seems like it was available for a while and even got reprinted, but that was only after a price drop...
Old 02-01-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm gonna pass on this. I don't have the time or patience to recieve a Demon Soul's beatdown again.
Old 02-01-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Demon's Souls was a greatest hits so it did very well.
Old 02-01-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

According to VGChartz (not particularly accurate but eh) the game sold 550,000 copies in the US, 257,000 in Japan and 173,000 in EU. Roughly a million seller worldwide.
Old 02-01-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 02-01-11, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got the first for $10 and fiven my love of demons and stuff, I dont see how I can not love it and the pics make this game look like a must buy.
Old 02-02-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

trailer up at joystiq, and according to the press release this is going to be on both consoles this time.

NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. today announced details of two upcoming games to be published in partnership with developer FromSoftware, Inc. As part of the agreement, NAMCO BANDAI Games will publish two of the developer’s new titles in North America and Europe, Dark Souls™ and ARMORED CORE® V both slated for release for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. FromSoftware, Inc. will remain publisher for the games in Japan.
Old 02-02-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I don't really understand how the same company makes this and Armored Core, though I realize AC has a huge following in Japan.
Old 02-02-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/dark...l-announcement

Looks good.
Old 02-02-11, 09:04 PM

Just saw the trailer on Siliconera and wow! Has the same feel as Demon's Souls and looks just as hard and hopefully just as rewarding.
Old 01-20-13, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

How could people have not have talked about this game after its release? Incredible. Over a year late to the party, and I'm really the first one to comment on the game post release? It's very challenging but very rewarding, and I'm having a blast so far.
Old 01-20-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
How could people have not have talked about this game after its release? Incredible. Over a year late to the party, and I'm really the first one to comment on the game post release? It's very challenging but very rewarding, and I'm having a blast so far.
You're right : they couldn't not talk about this game. Huge thread with spoilers and tips here
Old 01-20-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...rs-inside.html

Bought the hardcover guide for $10 but don't even have the game yet. I know I will love it though, once I clear my backlog and get to it