Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon France delivery problems

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Was wondering of there were any U.S. customers who may have had similar problems. I have twice now made an order with Amazon.fr, but the package was sent back to them twice as undeliverable with the reason "unknown". My address is correct, but I'm wondering if there is some weird formatting or something that is causing a problem. But that still doesn't make sense, because my address was already in their system as a customer, and I haven't had a problem getting packages from the UK site and the German site with the exact same address. A rep from France just called and wasn't sure what to do; I thought I'd try leaving off the last four digits of the extended zip code. Here's a generic look at how it appears:

John Smith
7500 9TH ST N APT 200
Alexandria, VA 12345-6789
United States

...so, would this make any difference?:

John Smith
7500 9TH ST North #200 (or maybe 7500 N. 9TH ST #200?)
Alexandria, VA 12345
United States

Anyone with a similar experience or advice?
Old 01-26-11, 12:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Amazon France delivery problems

I haven't had any delivery problems from Amazon France. Aside from getting past the language barrier when ordering, I left nothing to chance, so I spelled everything out. So instead of 7500 9th ST N APT 200, I would have put 7500 9th STREET NORTH APT (Or APARTMENT) 200. I would leave on the last 4 digits of the zip as well. Good luck.
Old 01-26-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only ordered once from Amazon France and I received my package without problems. Why don't you have them send the package to a friend or family member with a simpler address than yours? Then you know if it has something to do with your address.
Old 01-26-11, 11:00 PM
Cool New Member

Amazon's shipping system doesn't always match the right carrier to the right destination if the address in their system isn't letter perfect. (In fact they say this very thing deep in the help pages)

Or... What carrier does amazon.fr use? If it's a member of the DHL family, that could be part of it: After numerous problems with DHL shipments from amazon.ca, I found the only way to get an order fast and accurately the first time was to have it shipped to my workplace (which is serviced by DHL Ground).

Orders that were supposed to be shipped to my P.O. Box - and blindly sent by DHL - were always returned as undeliverable because Amazon's system couldn't figure out that the carrier they automatically picked would not service the destination I selected, they just slapped the label on and sent it out.

Amazon.co.uk has the same type of problem. Orders would be split into separate shipments from multiple fulfillment centers. Partial shipments sent by Royal Mail to my P.O. Box arrived OK. Other items sent by Deutsche Post were returned as undeliverable because DP would not hand over to the USPS.
Old 01-27-11, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had problems from Amazon.fr either, but I would try using fewer abbreviations, putting the apartment number a separate line from the street address, and spell out the street number:

7500 Ninth St. North
Apt. 200
Old 01-27-11, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like others, I spell everything out. I recently had issues with Amazon UK for the first time. They shipped my two items out on 1/4. I waited until 1/25 (as required) and my items never arrived. I had no way to know why, but requested they resend the items. They told me to wait another week and THEN, they would "look into it". I sent back a tersely worded, but respectful email stating that I had given them the requested time and they needed to take action now, not in a week. They resent the items the next day. Normally, it takes a week to 10 days to receive my shipment from the UK. Something strange happened this time.

I hope you get your situation resolved.
Old 01-28-11, 06:53 PM

I've never have a problem with any of the Amazon sites but here is their page for info:

Undeliverable Packages

Occasionally, packages are returned as undeliverable. If the package is returned as undeliverable for "unknown reason" (eg, in some rare cases where the package label becomes illegible during delivery), we re-ship. In all other cases, when the carrier returns an undeliverable, we do not re-ship the package, but proceed to a full refund (including postage).
You might also think about going to your local USPS and ask what might've caused the problem. Show them the address and see if it should be changed.
Old 01-29-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So far I've never had a problem with any of my packages arriving from Amazon.fr.
I did have one shipment get delayed and contacted them about it. They responded promptly and got an answer. I'd definitely shoot them an email.
Old 02-03-11, 12:14 AM

Not France I'm having problem with AmazonUK.
I ordered Dec. 23 & Jan. 3 and still no packages @ all.
I emailed them & they credit back my credit card. No more UK ordering for me!

Update: finally received my DVD's since I ordered in December. Dame 5 weeks.

Last edited by Barry; 02-07-11 at 11:52 PM.