Old 01-23-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Hawaii Five-O -- Special Night (After AFC Champ) -- "Kai e'e" -- 1/23/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The head of the Tsunami Warning Center mysteriously disappears just as a major tsunami threatens to strike Hawaii and thousands of people are evacuated from the islands.

Episode 15 of 24

Written by Melissa Glenn & Jessica Rieder

Directed by Duane Clark

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zPUJKSs3Qxg" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

*** This airs immediately after the AFC Championship tonight on both coasts. If your not watching this live, I recommend padding your DVR's at least 1 hour. ***

This start time should be between 10-11pm ET/7-8pm PT approximately.
Old 01-23-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: Hawaii Five-O -- Special Night (After AFC Champ) -- "Kai e'e" -- 1/23/11

hahaha, I just sent you a PM about this. Why did I ever think you would fail to remember.

Can't wait for this episode!
Old 01-24-11, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk God

For those of you who forgot to pad your DVR's and didn't watch the game, you missed about 15 minutes.

Thought this was an okay episode. It was a little better than last week. The whole fake tsunami/kidnapping plot was very hokey IMO. I did like that the episode brought back the missing $10M plot from the Chin kidnapping episode.

I have to assume the missing money being brought back and accounted for has something to do with Wo Fat's presence on the island.

at the scene where Danno got the simplified version on how tsunami warnings are transmitted.

It was great to see Michelle Borth again, but there wasn't enough of her in this episode.
Old 01-24-11, 06:48 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the show, but I immediately felt this was somewhat of a ripoff of an episode of CSI Miami a few years ago, where some robbers were going after something when a Tsunami was coming. Difference being that in CSI there actually was a wall of water coming, no just a hoax.

But agreed, nice to see the $10m back, nice little twist.
Old 01-24-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
at the scene where Danno got the simplified version on how tsunami warnings are transmitted.
Yeah, they made Danno pretty stupid this episode.

Other than that I enjoyed it. The callback to the $10 mil was a nice touch. I could have used more gratuitous Kono bikini shots, though.
Old 01-24-11, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Would you like the "field trip" version?

I wonder where the $10 million came from. Who, outside of 5-0 knew it was missing?
Old 01-25-11, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Would you like the "field trip" version?

I wonder where the $10 million came from. Who, outside of 5-0 knew it was missing?
I'm assuming Wo Fat. Remember he visited Victor Hesse in jail after he got arrested and probably learned about the missing $10M that Hesse destroyed. It's obvious that they are slowly making Wo Fat the main bad guy/nemesis of McG.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-25-11 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-25-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This was moderately entertaining, but I thought it was a total ripoff that they promoted a tsunami in all the commercials and then had it be a hoax in the episode. I saw it coming when the scraggly scientist said the satellite data was conflicting and changing. I wouldn't be bothered by it if I hadn't seen promos during NFL games for the last 2 weeks promising a massive tsunami.
Old 01-25-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I enjoyed it, but they need to be careful with the Danno character. Sometimes they write him as downright stupid or saying very jerky things. Seriously, the description of the second signal wasn't that hard to follow. I'd think the guy could get it.

And I still laugh whenever they shout, "5-Oh!" and the criminals freeze or the cops give them priority access. As if anyone would know what "5-Oh" is.
Old 01-25-11, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I enjoyed it, but they need to be careful with the Danno character. Sometimes they write him as downright stupid or saying very jerky things. Seriously, the description of the second signal wasn't that hard to follow. I'd think the guy could get it.
I agree. I think they just need to decide on a way to go with the character and stick with it(although I'm not a fan of the dickhead Danno). They have this lame scene where he acts like a total idiot with the satellite explanation and a scene later he's snapping photos, scanning finger prints and emailing them back to 5-0 headquarters on his smartphone. He's young enough to have grown up with technology so making him dumb in that regard doesn't make much sense anyway.
Old 01-25-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
And I still laugh whenever they shout, "5-Oh!" and the criminals freeze or the cops give them priority access. As if anyone would know what "5-Oh" is.
I would have to say HPD should know about the unit by now (probably after the incident with Jason Scott Lee, the Gov would have issued a statement to HPD about who and what 5-0 is.. the last episode, they just up and join and lead a police chase!), but they should still be a relative unknown to the general public.
Old 01-25-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I liked this episode. The ending was pretty cool. I prefer serial dramas, so it's good to get another element of that for this show - the other one obviously being the dad plot.
Old 01-26-11, 07:41 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't quite get the last minute about the 28 million, what was that about ?
Old 01-26-11, 10:30 AM
Cool New Member

The 5-0 team borrowed $10M of the same $28M stash a few episodes back to save Chin from Victor Hesse. Hesse then burned the $10M. So the 5-0 team was expecting the governor to question them about the missing $10M. But mysteriously, there was $28M in recovered money.
Old 01-27-11, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

the team should have stolen 11,345,672 or some other seemingly random amount and not an even number
then when it was found to be missing it wouldn't be as obvious who took it or might look like multiple people skimmed some of it over the years
Old 01-30-11, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I must be the only one that feels this was one of the weakest episodes so far this season.
Old 01-31-11, 04:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by djones6746
I must be the only one that feels this was one of the weakest episodes so far this season.
Yep. This was easily one of the better episodes, if only for addressing the 28 million subplot.