Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Oblivion IV On PC--how to start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-11, 11:47 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oblivion IV On PC--how to start?

Just got a new computer setup at home and reading the Skrym Oblivion sequel has me thinking of returning to gaming on this platform. I played IV on the 360 but I want to wring out my new graphic card (radeon 6850) and try some of the 3rd party addons.

What is the best way to do this? Go through the game stock first then add on the extras afterwards? Any reviews of add on content? Things to avoid?
Old 01-21-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Oblivion IV On PC--how to start?

All the add on content is pretty good IMO (minus the horse armour). I would add the extras right away to so can take advantage of the items you get from those quests to help you complete the main quest. As a slight spoiler, you get some really good armour when you finish the main quest but if you have already completed most of the others quests before hand it feels like you wasted you time getting that item.
Old 01-21-11, 12:07 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I beat the game on the 360. I'm thinking of playing this again before getting the new game when it comes out later this year. Stupid question: do you have to pay for the non-official mods?
Old 01-21-11, 12:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm doing the same thing. Got the GOTY edition and have been downloading mods for it. You'll need to read up on how to add them and manage them, but once you do, there are some really incredible mods out there.
Old 01-21-11, 12:41 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Where are you learning about the mods? Is there one place to go? Official site vs fansites?
Old 01-21-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes there is one place to go: A forum there for questions and help, that's the spot.

The thing you need to understand about Oblivion on PC is patching, and this is also of importance for mods. You want to get to patch level/version 1.2.0416. Then you can apply the Unofficial Oblivion Patch, and the Unofficial Oblivion Mod patch from there. I run both of those. I also run the supplemental Unofficial Oblivion Patch created after those first two guys stopped development. For clarity, the Mod patch is for the official DLC from Bethesda like 'The Fighter's Stronghold'. 'Shivering Isles' and the like. It fixes a lot of stuff.

You will notice on the Nexus, when you search files(which are the mods and patches), all the dependencies are carefully listed as to patch revision and the like. A good way to start is to search by highest rated, in descending order. On the 'files' page choose 'browse the file categories on offer for files you might like to download'. Look under any type - characters, armor/armour, abodes, weapons, etc. when you select one, under 'organize' change 'name' to 'endorsements' and change 'asc' to 'desc'. This will show you, in any area/type if mod, the ones that the most people have highly endorsed meaning it's a good patch and it didn't crash anything.

As to some really good ones: 'Addonay's Elven Weaponry' is the best overlal mod I've seen so far. I geek out on weapons. He really put a lot of thought and time into that mod. Early on in the game they are just terrific looking, good quality weapons. Of a similar power to the weapons you are acquiring, just much better renders. Later in the game when you can afford to drop $75,000 on a sword or $40,000 on a bow, they are unreal Elvin-blessed weapons with magical enchantments that do not require soul gems. They make closing Oblviion Gates fun. The look of the weapons is the best I've ever seen, the two handed weapons have sheaths on your back instead of just hanging there, they even have different grinds on each different blade that you can appreciate. Nothing flashy, just real attention to detail.

'Bravil Sea Domes' is highly rated for good reason. It's cool to have a tricked out house under the water. Love that mod.

'Enchanted Druid Treehome' is another favorite. A ton fo thought in that one too, small home, but so many tricked out things and little details it will blow your mind. The warp to Shivering Isles is so cool you just have to see it.

'Frostmourne and Lich Kings Armor' - you want to have a decent video card because the render quality on these is to a much higher level of detail than anything I've ever seen. A decent card will run it you don't need top of the line. The one OP mentions will be more than enough. It's so cool looking, yes your eyes glow blue:

'Apophis Armory of the Silver Dragon' is another cool set I run. Lots of weapons and armor, that suits different types of players by design. But you can mix and match.

There's a few to start with maybe.
Old 01-21-11, 01:40 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Great info--thanks!
Old 01-21-11, 01:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dr. M said it better than I could have, but I did exactly what he said for the first portion (run the patch, then the unofficial patches, then mods that caught my eye off the highest ranked at tesnexus).
Old 01-21-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you don't know there are also mods that have... you might say add entirely new games and worlds to add on to the Oblivion universe.

You both might check this one out. The stuff has been worked on for like 2 years, and it appears it's nearly ready(I thought it already was). It continues the Dark Brotherhood stuff into a much larger quest-based part of the game.

There are others of this type. One mod is actually as large or larger as an add-on mod than the actual game world itself in Oblivion. I forget the name.

Last edited by Dr Mabuse; 01-21-11 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-21-11, 03:42 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Fans put so much work into something they love. I was reading up on the mods and saw how they have a companion character you can load that has more dialog than all the females in the original game put together! Now Im worried about not being able to finish this when Oblivion V comes out
Old 01-21-11, 05:17 PM
Banned

The name of the series is The Elder Scrolls. Oblivion is just the subtitle of The Elder Scrolls IV.