Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best version of Citizen Kane, R2 or HK?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Best version of Citizen Kane, R2 or HK?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-00, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a code-free player and I am looking to get a copy of Citizen Kane in the US, where "the geratest American film of all time" is not available on DVD.
I know there is R2 PAL version that is redily available, but I have also seen a "all code" NTSC version from Hong Kong on Ebay.
Any experience with either version, picture quality, etc.?

------------------
There goes Roy Hobbs... the best there ever was.
Old 05-09-00, 01:01 PM

The Region 2 version is junk, poor video and sound and only a trailer as an extra. I can't vouch for the HK one, but when I asked the exact same question I was advised to wait for a new version (the rights to the film are changing hands soon, if they haven't already)

Until then buy it on video, it's the same quality as the R2 for less cash.

Foxy
Old 05-12-00, 02:16 AM

I have the Japan Region 2 copy and it has more than just a trailer as an extra. The problem is that all the extra text is in Japanese. Of course I don't read Japanese so I have no clue as to what its about.

However, the disk quality is low. This is the third version of the film I have. The first being Criterion #1 CAV Laserdisc; second being the Image 50th Ann. Laserdisc; and the third being the Region 2 DVD. The Region 2 DVD is by far the worst of the bunch and the Criterion CAV is the best.

I say hold off until Warner comes out with their SE next year or buy the Criterion laserdisc.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List