Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix places "DVD hurdle" for users

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/43...ho-prefer-dvds

Quick look: In a seemingly innocent 109-word blog post, Netflix director of product management Jamie Odell announced, "We're removing the 'Add to DVD Queue' option from streaming devices," suggesting that it was being done so that the company "can concentrate on offering you the titles that are available to watch instantly." Granted, the Netflix website still allows DVD queue updating, but this post, dropped on the morning of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, created an immediate firestorm of comments -- most of them very, very angry.
Old 01-19-11, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Netflix places "DVD hurdle" for users

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/43...ho-prefer-dvds

Quick look: In a seemingly innocent 109-word blog post, Netflix director of product management Jamie Odell announced, "We're removing the 'Add to DVD Queue' option from streaming devices," suggesting that it was being done so that the company "can concentrate on offering you the titles that are available to watch instantly." Granted, the Netflix website still allows DVD queue updating, but this post, dropped on the morning of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, created an immediate firestorm of comments -- most of them very, very angry.
What would really be helpful was if they didn't list titles that aren't available for streaming on streaming devices. I hate to look up a movie only to find it's available on "DVD only". At least before you could go ahead and add it to your queue!
Old 01-19-11, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Until the quality of their streaming can match the audio and video quality of Blu-ray for titles which have a Blu-ray release ( yeah right), their streaming service is useless to me. If they want to bequeath their disc rental market share to Redbox that's fine with me. But once their disc service is no good to me, I will cancel my account completely.
Old 01-19-11, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the quality is pretty good on a PS3, but the selection is pissing me off. and they are losing some titles.

my 3 year old is on a Scooby-Doo streak. last year they had 10 or so scooby-doo movies on streaming. they lost a bunch when the new year hit and a few more last night. now they are down to 3. Since it's mostly my son that watches netflix i'm thinking of cancelling it and just buying the DVD's
Old 01-19-11, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Until the quality of their streaming can match the audio and video quality of Blu-ray for titles which have a Blu-ray release ( yeah right), their streaming service is useless to me. If they want to bequeath their disc rental market share to Redbox that's fine with me. But once their disc service is no good to me, I will cancel my account completely.
Yeah, it's amazing to me that they are not concentrating on quality more. I have both VUDU and Netflix on my Blu Ray player. VUDU streams the majority of their movies in 1080p and Dolby Digital Plus sound that look very much like their Blu Ray counterparts. While Netflix on the same device looks like YouTube in 2.0.

Granted VUDU is more of a PPV service than an all-you-can-stream, but if Netflix really want to shift their focus to streaming they have to do it much better.
Old 01-19-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

netflix isn't going to do it because it's going to raise their bandwidth bills. it's not like they pay $100 a month for internet and can send all they want.

the whole streaming business model at a cheap $10 a month or so price only works with limited selection and crappy quality

the only reason it's popular is that cable companies move slower due to having to spend more time and money planning network upgrades, buying boxes, software, etc. once the cable companies get their act together they will kill netflix because they send their data in a much more efficient format than tcp/ip over the internet