Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Life Unexpected -- Series Finale -- "Teacher Schooled/Affair Remembered" -- 1/18/11

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Life Unexpected -- Series Finale -- "Teacher Schooled/Affair Remembered" -- 1/18/11

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By null at 2010-09-03

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Baze (Kristoffer Polaha) considers buying a house and planning a future with Emma (guest star Emma Caulfield), not realizing the devastating secret she is hiding about her romantic past with his father. Sensing that Eric (guest star Shaun Sipos) is once again pulling away from their relationship, Lux (Britt Robertson) plans a romantic dinner for the two of them, but is surprised when Baze and Cate (Shiri Appleby) show up at the door.

2 Hour Series Finale tonight.

I read that once the producers got the word that the CW wouldn't order the back 9, they wrote these episodes to wrap up the show. It's not "officially cancelled", but it's not expected to come back for a 3rd season and once any show doesn't get the back 9 it's toast.

Sad to see it go and that it never really caught on with CW viewers.
Old 01-18-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Life Unexpected -- Series Finale -- "Teacher Schooled/Affair Remembered" -- 1/18/

Frankly, it deserves to go. This second season has been a borderline disaster. I find it hard to reconcile the first season to what's being aired now.
Old 01-18-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Life Unexpected -- Series Finale -- "Teacher Schooled/Affair Remembered" -- 1/18/

Originally Posted by meritocracy
Frankly, it deserves to go. This second season has been a borderline disaster. I find it hard to reconcile the first season to what's being aired now.
If you talking about what transpired with Lux and Eric, then yeah I agree with you. IMO, the good thing about it (not that I condone the inappropriate relationship) is that it kept Bug away.
Old 01-18-11, 02:10 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Theres a flashforward...it's over.
Old 01-18-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Theres a flashforward...it's over.
Yeah I know. It not officially being cancelled is just a technicality. The creator of the show, Liz Tigelaar, signed a new deal with a ABC and she's gone after her contract with CBS/CW runs out in June.
Old 01-18-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah I know. It not officially being cancelled is just a technicality. The creator of the show, Liz Tigelaar, signed a new deal with a ABC and she's gone after her contract with CBS/CW runs out in June.
Hmm. So was Futon Critic just "speculating" because they have had it as cancelled for a while. What I don't get is that the CW has been promoting it for a while as a "season finale". Wouldn't they get better numbers if they promoted it as the series finale?
Old 01-19-11, 12:32 AM
Suspended

Nice shoutout to the original Pilot name (Light Years).

The ending...no. That was a total copout. Everything was way to neatly wrapped up. And the re-directs at the end...holy shit.

I assume the radio chick is carrying Baze/Kates baby?

And all of that...and we didn't get anything from Eric or Emma? They were Season long arcs and ignored to make the ending 'happy'.
Old 01-19-11, 12:33 AM
Suspended

If for any miraculous reason the show comes back, wow, that'll be interesting to see what they do.
Old 01-19-11, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The ending...no. That was a total copout. Everything was way to neatly wrapped up. And the re-directs at the end...holy shit.
If for any miraculous reason the show comes back, wow, that'll be interesting to see what they do.
I think your accurate statement that everything was "neatly wrapped up" would answer that it is NOT returning. There's nothing else TO "do" with these characters.

I assume the radio chick is carrying Baze/Kates baby?
Absolutely not. The way she was kissing Math Rogers in those final scenes I thought that she'd gotten divorced and that they were now together.

And all of that...and we didn't get anything from Eric or Emma? They were Season long arcs and ignored to make the ending 'happy'.
It was two years later. The "season" arc was done by that flash forward. And we see the result. Baze and Kate are back together (with Lux calling them "Mom and Dad") and Lux is with Jones. (Why Ryan would be going to his ex's daughter's graduation with his new wife and kid however was a little bit of a stretch for me. Where were Kate's mom and sister? I'd have expected THEM there before Ryan!)

Frankly, I'm glad this show is done. The situations were starting to get tediously unoriginal this season. Another season pass I can delete.
Old 01-19-11, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh yeah, Math definitely got with the preggers radio producer.

They succeeded in making Lux so unlikable in season 2, there really wasn't any reason to stretch it out for another season had the ratings been there for the show. Then again, for a show that started out with a lot of promise, it squandered it on a distasteful story arc (Lux and the teacher), and turned off its ever-dwindling viewer base.
Old 01-19-11, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I think your accurate statement that everything was "neatly wrapped up" would answer that it is NOT returning. There's nothing else TO "do" with these characters.
7th Heaven came back... I think the Creator was freaked the show was really dead and gave it closure. Let's face it, it's 99% not coming back.

Absolutely not. The way she was kissing Math Rogers in those final scenes I thought that she'd gotten divorced and that they were now together.
Watch again. Baze puts his hand on the radio chicks belly right when we first see him. In the photo at the end, his hand is there again. Right? Both the wife and I spotted that but maybe it was Maths (at the end)? The first time it was Baze rubbing her belly since Math was on stage.

It was two years later. The "season" arc was done by that flash forward. And we see the result. Baze and Kate are back together (with Lux calling them "Mom and Dad") and Lux is with Jones. (Why Ryan would be going to his ex's daughter's graduation with his new wife and kid however was a little bit of a stretch for me. Where were Kate's mom and sister? I'd have expected THEM there before Ryan!)
Ryan was still apart of Lux's life for some time (and how long after who knows). I think the whole point was they were all a 'family' regardless of who they are with in the past, present or future.
Old 01-19-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Both the wife and I spotted that but maybe it was Maths (at the end)? The first time it was Baze rubbing her belly since Math was on stage.
I saw that too, but that she's seeing Math and being Kate and Baze's surrogate just seems like an odd stretch.

Ryan was still apart of Lux's life for some time (and how long after who knows). I think the whole point was they were all a 'family' regardless of who they are with in the past, present or future.
Again while I can SORT OF give you that, why wouldn't Kate's sister and mother be there? Baze's parents were sitting in the row behind them at the graduation.
Old 01-19-11, 09:15 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I saw that too, but that she's seeing Math and being Kate and Baze's surrogate just seems like an odd stretch.
But he did it twice. Personally, why not just bring in Kates sister to be the surrogate?

I initially thought it was Baze and Alice. Kate and Ryan. And Ryan was friends with Julia because she had his kid and Kate was acting like a mother to the child since she couldn't have her own. Ryan got his own blood kid, Kate got to keep Ryan, and Baze found someone. And then the last minute just made my drop my bong and thing 'Is this really happening'.

Again while I can SORT OF give you that, why wouldn't Kate's sister and mother be there? Baze's parents were sitting in the row behind them at the graduation.
Budget reasons most likely. Baze's Dad was more apart of the show then Kates Family (only a few episodes) and he was already in the current one.
Old 01-19-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What a weird ending to a show that was quickly losing me. I really hated Lux by the end of this show.

I spent a while trying to figure out who ended up with who, and yes it looked like Kate/Baze where really patting the belly of radio producer chick like she was their surrogate.
Old 01-19-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I find it funny that the writers went to lengths to keep the viewers guessing on who got with who at the end (with the first pass of everyone in the audience at graduation), and it was all revealed at the end after Lux's speech, but people fell for the misdirection (mainly from built-in expectations by the viewer). It was a good result of pairings at the end. I don't think there's any surrogacy going on. Lux finally got the family she needed, and with Ryan out of the way, the road was paved for Nate and Kate's pairing.
Old 01-19-11, 10:34 AM
Suspended

So Nate just knocked up radio chick 6-8 months before and got with Kate?
Old 01-19-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So Nate just knocked up radio chick 6-8 months before and got with Kate?
I'm telling you I think that's Math's baby. Jeez! That hand patting is just creepy if she is the surrogate. Who would DO that to there surrogate 8 months along at their daughter's high school graduation?
Old 01-19-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Damn it, Tivo didn't pick this up for me. I wonder if there was some sort of College Basketball on in my area last night? If so it means only SD for me since my CW affiliate doesn't show HD programs on the weekend.
Old 01-19-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patman
Oh yeah, Math definitely got with the preggers radio producer.

They succeeded in making Lux so unlikable in season 2, there really wasn't any reason to stretch it out for another season had the ratings been there for the show. Then again, for a show that started out with a lot of promise, it squandered it on a distasteful story arc (Lux and the teacher), and turned off its ever-dwindling viewer base.
I'm shocked they can't acknowledge that that's pretty much why the show was cancelled. They actually kept trying to make that a valid relationship and it was just ridiculous.
Old 01-19-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 433 Posts

I watched the entire first season becasue my wife wanted to, then the first few of this season.
All I saw was the girl, Lux? acting like a jackass towards everyone in this show.

everytime something didn't go her way it was, " What do you mean no, well your dad cheated on your mom so there." or, "well I know that you lied to your girlfriend so HAH." or "well I told everyone you burned down the bar on purpose...."

Horrrible horrible person.
Old 01-21-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the first season a lot, and was really looking forward to the next one.

Then it got all bizarre and could not find a tone. Lux, victim of child molestation. Lux trying to get it on with her teacher. Lux and 5head hitting people in the head with shovels. Kate and Baze being all "ahh, who cares you almost molested our daughter, teacherman, just get out of town before high noon and it will be forgotten".

LU writers, there is a Mr. Reality on the phone for you and he sounds pissed.
Old 01-24-11, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally watched this.

Wow, that tacked-on ending was a total cop-out and invalidated the entire preceding episode. Ryan emotionally tells Kate that he would choose her over having his own kid any day, but as soon as he finds out he knocked up another chick, he changes his mind to be with his baby mama?

I am not against Kate and Baze ending up together, but it made no sense with the preceding scenes of Kate and Ryan.
Old 01-24-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think at the end of the day, seeing all the crap that went down with Lux's life after being bounced from foster home to foster home, Ryan and Kate decided that it was in the best interest of Ryan's child that he go be with the baby mama and his child, and being a father to his child from the get-go in order to provide for the best environment for the child. For all we know, it is Kate who pushes Ryan away from her, and towards being with his child. That's what passes for character growth in today's TV landscape.