Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

URL Shorteners

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 12:49 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
URL Shorteners

I did a quick search to see if this was discussed before, but didn't find any results. Forgive me if I didn't look hard enough.

I made a post today that contained a link. After posting, I noticed that the "" part was automatically removed, which effectively broke the link. I tried the same with tinyurl, but it didn't work, either. I don't see anything in the rules specifically about URL shorteners, so I'm just hoping for clarification.

I'm assuming URL shorteners are being disabled automatically as a way of indirectly supporting this rule:
• Posting of any form of advertising including: URL's with affiliate codes, referrer tags, tracking numbers or anything which actively promotes a site or company.
since they could and would be used in an attempt to bypass this rule.
I get it, and it makes sense.

All I'm asking is that, for future members' inquiries, there should be a line in the rules that specifically mentions that some (if not all) URL Shorteners are disabled for this reason.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Last edited by Dan; 01-12-11 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-12-11, 06:11 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: URL Shorteners

There are several reasons why we don't want URL shorteners used. Mostly due to spammers.

1) It's used to hide referrals.
2) Spammers often use this technique to disguise what they're spamming.
3) We can't see the site that's linked to so we have to click on it to see where we end up. Sometimes that's not a good place.
Old 01-13-11, 02:03 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am reliably informed that it was quite an endeavour to get the modified rules posted and anecdotal evidence suggests that many people don't pay them a great deal of regard - spammers wouldn't and, as indciated above, they are by far the biggest reason why the shorteners were blocked.

It is likely that we'll wait for other revisions and do a batch of them together.

On the positive side, anyone searching, as did the OP, will now find this thread.
Old 01-14-11, 12:52 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the responses.

PS: tinyurl does not appear to be blocked here. That site advertises on their site that they can be used to hide referral links. tsk tsk.
Old 01-14-11, 09:48 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
PS: tinyurl does not appear to be blocked here. That site advertises on their site that they can be used to hide referral links. tsk tsk.
Try using it.
Old 01-14-11, 10:00 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Ah. I stand corrected. Weird that the text string 'tinyurl' is not blocked, but an actual URL from that site is.
But the other two text strings I tried are blocked (the google one and the 'bit' one), with or without the rest of the URL in the string.

Thanks X.
Old 01-15-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is using a tinypic link for an IMG post also prohibited?