DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Jon Lovitz, Andy Dick, Newsradio, what's the story

Dick Van Dork
01-11-11, 02:36 PM
The AvClub interviewed Lovitz recently about his various movie and tv roles and when asked about News Radio and Andy Dick he refused to comment, seemingly pretty sad about the whole thing, but also pissed off at Dick.

So, what is the story? I know Dick in additokn to being one of the single unfunniest people on the fucking planet has a well earned rep for being and uber asshole. Did he pull some sort of attitude on the set at News Radio after Lovitz joined? Is it related to Hartman's muder in any way?

JohnSlider
01-11-11, 02:39 PM
I copied your thread title into Google, and this is what the Wiki machine churned out:

On July 17, at the Laugh Factory comedy club in Los Angeles, Dick was in an altercation with his former NewsRadio co-star Jon Lovitz, who claimed that, a year earlier, Dick had approached him at a restaurant and said, "I put the Phil Hartman hex on you; you're the next one to die," and demanded an apology from Dick. Lovitz has accused Dick of re-introducing Hartman's wife to cocaine, who had a relapse and five months later, she killed Hartman in his Encino, California home, and later shot herself.[20] When Lovitz joined the cast of NewsRadio as Hartman's replacement ten years earlier, he told Dick: "I wouldn't be here now if you hadn't given Brynn that cocaine."

Boba Fett
01-11-11, 03:02 PM
I believe Lovitz also beat the crap out of Dick.

sven
01-11-11, 03:19 PM
I believe Lovitz also beat the crap out of Dick.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/news/article_1331205.php/Jon_Lovitz_and_Andy_Dick_s_Laugh_Factory_brawl

Slammed his face into the bar a few times.

RocShemp
01-11-11, 03:26 PM
Always knew Andy Dick was an asshole but wasn't aware of the extent.

Meglos
01-11-11, 03:27 PM
:clap: to Lovitz, I'd say.

Coral
01-11-11, 03:35 PM
After Hartman died, and knowing that Dick re-introduced Hartman's wife to cocaine - why the hell did they even bring Dick back to the show?

Andy Dick is horrible in everything I've seen him in and is very UNfunny, but his character on Newsradio and his performance of that character were great. Yet, I still would've canned his ass under the circumstances.

Michael Corvin
01-11-11, 03:35 PM
Pretty sure we've had this discussion before. :lol:

*edit - yep. some talk about it here. (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/548093-how-good-newsradio-2.html)

sauce07
01-11-11, 03:36 PM
Andy Dick's life is a mess and he isn't a very good person. On the other hand, you can't blame him for the relapse, it was her choice to start doing coke again.

Meglos
01-11-11, 03:47 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1mcCHaY4QJY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1mcCHaY4QJY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

RocShemp
01-11-11, 03:52 PM
Andy Dick's life is a mess and he isn't a very good person. On the other hand, you can't blaim him for the relapse, it was her choice to start doing coke again.

You don't offer a beer to an alchoholic. Likewise, you don't offer cocaine to a recovering drug addict.

Their relapse is as much your fault (if not more) than theirs.

sauce07
01-11-11, 04:01 PM
You don't offer a beer to an alchoholic. Likewise, you don't offer cocaine to a recovering drug addict.

Their relapse is as much your fault (if not more) than theirs.

I have to disagree with you. The person offering the beer or coke is a dick, but they shouldn't be held responsible for another persons actions. Nobody is saying that Andy Dick held her down and blew coke up her nose, she willingly did it after being offered. I understand addiction is tough and sobriety is even harder, but you are always in control of your own actions.

RocShemp
01-11-11, 04:22 PM
I have to disagree with you. The person offering the beer or coke is a dick, but they shouldn't be held responsible for another persons actions. Nobody is saying that Andy Dick held her down and blew coke up her nose, she willingly did it after being offered. I understand addiction is tough and sobriety is even harder, but you are always in control of your own actions.

Yes and no. Although personal responsibility is in play, combating addiction takes an extreme amount of self control. That's why an alchoholic cannot have the "occasional sip". You're being more than just a dick if you're knowingly offering an addict the source of their addiction. They can only resist temptation so much. And you have become an enabler.

Dragon Tattoo
01-11-11, 04:41 PM
Wow, Andy Dick comes off so fake in that video that I wanna punch his face in.

marginal
01-11-11, 04:44 PM
That's a trip. I actually saw a taping of what I've always suspected was one of Phil Hartman's last roles--a guest spot he did on Jon Lovitz's failed sitcom pilot, not long before the murder/suicide. I'd seen/interacted with Hartman before, and he was a total class act. He stayed for the whole taping, even though he was only in a small bit. Seems like they were pretty good friends.

P.S. Lovitz's pilot was, unfortunately, terrible.

Ravenous
01-11-11, 09:08 PM
If theres anyone I want to see DEAD more than Kathy Griffin its thats **** Andy Dick

Bill Needle
01-12-11, 02:28 PM
He comapres passing around cocaine to passing around vitamins. Yet he lives, and Phil Hartman is dead.

Dick Van Dork
01-13-11, 02:45 PM

So Dick is off the hook for knowingly being a dick and offering cocaine to someone that he knew was struggling with addiction to the drug and trying to stay clean.

No fucking way Dick gets a free pass on this.

And thanks for the info.

fujishig
01-13-11, 02:52 PM
He doesn't get a free pass for that, but I'm not sure you can fire a guy for something that was never proven in a court of law (to my knowledge). I am surprised that the info didn't leak out to the ever present media at the time of Hartman's death, which probably would have forced the producer's hand... if it did, I never heard of it (I only heard of it after the altercation).

arminius
01-13-11, 03:00 PM
If theres anyone I want to see DEAD more than Kathy Griffin its thats **** Andy Dick

Now that you mention it they are sort of like the male/female doppelgangers of each other.

sauce07
01-13-11, 03:44 PM
So Dick is off the hook for knowingly being a dick and offering cocaine to someone that he knew was struggling with addiction to the drug and trying to stay clean.

No fucking way Dick gets a free pass on this.

And thanks for the info.

i'm not saying he deserves a free pass, he doesn't and he should feel guilty for offering drugs to an ex-addict. You just can't blame him for the murder, that was her choice no matter what drug she was on.

Navinabob
01-13-11, 03:58 PM
i'm not saying he deserves a free pass, he doesn't and he should feel guilty for offering drugs to an ex-addict. You just can't blame him for the murder, that was her choice no matter what drug she was on.

Yes, you can blame him. I'm sure many people in Hollywood,friends and family of the two that died, readers of this post and fans of Phil blame him as well. Any hate and blame is totally justified.

You can't "prosecute" him or expect to win any civil damages in court... but blame? Totally.

Jimmy James
01-13-11, 06:52 PM
Brynn Hartman was an absolute piece of trash, and she alone is responsible for Phil Hartman's death and all the sadness that she brought her children losing both of their parents.

Andy Dick is an asshole, and it's never okay to offer somebody cocaine. There is no way he is deserving of blame for what Brynn Hartman did, though. I also fail to see any evidence here that would suggest that Dick would have any idea of Brynn Hartman's prior cocaine history.

Finally, you have to remember that if the creators of the show weren't using cocaine themselves, they almost certainly had to know Dick and likely several others connected to the show were. This is a Hollywood production. You can't avoid that stuff out there.

Guru Askew
01-14-11, 01:20 PM
Finally, you have to remember that if the creators of the show weren't using cocaine themselves, they almost certainly had to know Dick and likely several others connected to the show were.

His drug use was well known back then and ultimately you have to assume that Hartman knew and willingly had him around his wife. The whole situation was like a perfect storm of bad decisions but to suggest that Dick is somehow responsible for their deaths is absurd. I'm surprised to see so many people agreeing with Lovitz in this thread.

Dick is just one of those people who will never catch a break when it comes to people online. I think homophobia has a big part of it but as far as I'm concerned he's demonstrated a lot more talent than Lovitz (at least if you take Lovitz's SNL years out of the equation) and I've never heard anything bad about Dick from the people he's worked with over the years, but then again what do they know? They actually know the guy.

As a matter of fact he seems to actually maintain his personal relationships pretty well in spite of his obvious drug problems. I know he's still on good terms with Dave Foley, Joe Rogan and Dino Stamatopolous and he's regularly worked with his Ben Stiller Show collaborators for going on two decades after that show aired. Hartman was obviously very close with him as well.

If I had to guess I'd say that Lovitz probably resents Dick for being more present in the last 4 years of Hartman's life than he was.

RocShemp
01-14-11, 01:26 PM
I think homophobia has a big part of it

Andy Dick is gay? News to me.

sauce07
01-14-11, 01:35 PM
and Andy Dick wasn't a drug dealer, he didn't sit there and shove coke up Brynn's nose for the next 6 months. She made her own choice to contact her dealer or find a new one to keep the train moving. Andy Dick is only blamed because he is a celebrity that everybody knows, he's an easy target. I'm guessing that she kept her ex-dealers number and went back to him, why don't you blame her for keeping the number? She put herself in the situation to do coke with a quite well known drug user (Andy). If Phil and John knew that she had such a problem with the powder, why didn't they drag her off to rehab the next day? It seems like everybody knew she was doing coke with Andy at that party. What, Phil didn't see the obvious change in her behavior? Am I supposed to believe that she acted completely normal for the 6 months that she was using before she murdered him, then one day just snapped? There's more important people to blame besides 1 guy at a party.

Michael Corvin
01-14-11, 02:17 PM
Dick is just one of those people who will never catch a break when it comes to people online. I think homophobia has a big part of it

What? rotfl Are you serious? I think him being a colossal douchebag has all to do with it.

arminius
01-14-11, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Dick is just one of those people who will never catch a break when it comes to people online. I think homophobia has a big part of it

What? rotfl Are you serious? I think him being a colossal douchebag has all to do with it.

Well he is a douchebag and homophobic, the bastard.

RocShemp
01-14-11, 02:34 PM
and Andy Dick wasn't a drug dealer, he didn't sit there and shove coke up Brynn's nose for the next 6 months. She made her own choice to contact her dealer or find a new one to keep the train moving. Andy Dick is only blamed because he is a celebrity that everybody knows, he's an easy target. I'm guessing that she kept her ex-dealers number and went back to him, why don't you blame her for keeping the number? She put herself in the situation to do coke with a quite well known drug user (Andy). If Phil and John knew that she had such a problem with the powder, why didn't they drag her off to rehab the next day? It seems like everybody knew she was doing coke with Andy at that party. What, Phil didn't see the obvious change in her behavior? Am I supposed to believe that she acted completely normal for the 6 months that she was using before she murdered him, then one day just snapped? There's more important people to blame besides 1 guy at a party.

Don't get me wrong. Brynn is definitely to blame. However, I view Dick as her accomplice (not in the murder but in her falling off the wagon). It all snowballed from there.

And why should his celebrity (though he's hardly that, despite being a publicly recognized figure) matter one way or another?

sauce07
01-14-11, 03:15 PM
Don't get me wrong. Brynn is definitely to blame. However, I view Dick as her accomplice (not in the murder but in her falling off the wagon). It all snowballed from there.

And why should his celebrity (though he's hardly that, despite being a publicly recognized figure) matter one way or another?

Because if it was some random guy at a party that did this, would it be written about in the papers? John Lovitz wouldn't have gotten into a fight at a comedy club, it wouldn't even be brought up while discussing the tragedy. Having Andy Dick part of the story sensationalizes it, it brings in more media attention. Andy Dick is a polarizing celebrity, he's somebody people love to hate and he plays into it.

He made an asshole move but are we to believe that he caused her one and only relapse and that alone caused her destruction? The story is just better that Andy Dick, that annoying flamboyant druggy, brought down this perfect mother with one line.

Navinabob
01-14-11, 03:17 PM
Dick is just one of those people who will never catch a break when it comes to people online. I think homophobia has a big part of it but as far as I'm concerned he's demonstrated a lot more talent than Lovitz (at least if you take Lovitz's SNL years out of the equation) and I've never heard anything bad about Dick from the people he's worked with over the years, but then again what do they know? They actually know the guy.

As a matter of fact he seems to actually maintain his personal relationships pretty well in spite of his obvious drug problems. I know he's still on good terms with Dave Foley, Joe Rogan and Dino Stamatopolous and he's regularly worked with his Ben Stiller Show collaborators for going on two decades after that show aired. Hartman was obviously very close with him as well..

Your reasoning is not sound. You never hearing anything about people bad-mouthing him does not make him a good guy. After watching him on Celebrity Rehab where he discusses destroying the lives of everyone who loves him and reading all the TMZ and police blotters on his arrests and nightclub/party/restaurant evictions I can't really see him being this saint you paint him out to be (nor does Andy actually).

http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/newsdesk/tmz_documents/0123_a_dick_complaints_doc.pdf

http://www.tmz.com/2008/07/16/andy-dick-busted-outside-chicken-joint/

http://www.hollywood.com/news/Kimmel_Speaks_Out_About_Andy_Dick_Talk_Show_Controversy/3654087

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/20533109/ns/today-entertainment/

I'll be here all day if I keep pulling up stuff. Add drinking & driving with accident(s), more sexual assault, physical assault, more sexual assault, ruining marriage of a friend, breaking and entering, and more sexual assault. That plus the stuff I got tired writing about and the stuff not reported to the media.

He's charming and friendly, but his ex-wife and son basically consider him a lost soul man-child who they don't expect much from. Interviews with his son are particularly painful to listen to as Andy has been a useless and abusive father who never grows up.

Rogan on Andy is sort of a backhanded compliment: "You know, you just donít get a guy thatís that fucked up, and have him be, like, a functional dude. You donít get a guy to be that funny the way Andyís funny, there has to be something wrong with you."

The guy is a train wreck.

Dick Van Dork
01-14-11, 03:24 PM
Andy Dick is gay? News to me.

he's on record numerous times as bleating and shrieking 'I'm tri-sexual' and has admitted to having orgies with chicks and dudes as well as having sex with a dog and jacking and sucking off a horse.

RocShemp
01-14-11, 03:26 PM
He made an asshole move but are we to believe that he caused her one and only relapse and that alone caused her destruction? The story is just better that Andy Dick, that annoying flamboyant druggy, brought down this perfect mother with one line.

Hence why I used the term "snowballed".

Navinabob
01-14-11, 03:37 PM

I think you are now overstating the side you don't agree with in order to make your position sound more reasonable. Andy enabled her (pretty common among drug users). While she is ultimately responsible for her own behavior, he contributed to the events that snowballed into Phil being killed. That is why many people place some level of blame on him... he did nothing but contribute to her addiction and Phil's destruction.

sauce07
01-15-11, 01:55 AM
I'm not overstating, I just believe that people are responsible for their own actions and Andy Dick is just a small fraction of the problem (plus he's an asshole).

Navinabob
01-15-11, 04:47 AM
I'm not overstating, I just believe that people are responsible for their own actions and Andy Dick is just a small fraction of the problem (plus he's an asshole).

Fair enough, can't argue with an opinion when stated as well as that was.

NORML54601
01-15-11, 07:20 AM
and it's never okay to offer somebody cocaine.

I disagree. Offering some to an addict is a dick move, but if someone shows at my house with an 8-ball, we're having a party.

Dick Van Dork
01-18-11, 02:04 PM

Bein an enabler and actively pushing her to use drugs, Dick did both, makes him much more then just a small fraction of the problem, he's a huge part.

shadowhawk2020
01-18-11, 05:34 PM
"I wouldn't be here now if you hadn't given Brynn that cocaine."

Reminds me of the "Should I thank Linda" line out of the Wedding Singer.