DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : 2011 General Comic Book Discussion Thread

dadaluholla
01-04-11, 12:48 PM
Instead of the previous quarterly threads for general comic discussion, I thought we could just do one for the year. Unless some major arguments break out I can't see these getting to any type of overwhelming size.

So who wants to kick things off?

boredsilly
01-04-11, 04:00 PM
I will.

GI Joe Cobra? Is the shit. Ok, I don't love it as much as the books biggest fans do (I saw it picked as book of the year a few places), but it's really cool. It's nice to have some really cool Joe media to consume. GI Joe Cobra, and the new cartoon, are making me pleased as punch. Cobra is the uber serious take on something completely ridiculous (something I love), and the cartoon is giving me the cartoon the way I have remembered it in my head, but know good and damn well the classic show wasn't this well written or awesome. It was to my 8 year old self though. Happy about that.

28 Days Later. I read the second volume, and this book is just great. It should be mandatory reading for anyone who enjoyed the movies. These comics have the best sense of frenetic motion I've encountered in a while. It's like you can see the people running for their lives, and the infected popping out and attacking them. Anyone else reading this?

I'm still pretty cold on mainstream books right now. Something will come around that will reinvigorate me, but right now I'm sticking to the fringes with Batgirl. I tried Batwoman, but I didn't like that too much. The art was nice, but a bit too intricate for my tastes, and I didn't care for the superhero part of the story. The stuff with Kathy Kane out of the suit was really good, though.

I do want to give Gail Simone's DC stuff a try. I really dug her original Birds or Prey run, but there are only so many hours in the day.

OH! And I just got the Complete Calvin and Hobbes in the mail. So I'm going to be reading that too, but I want to do it slow. I've only ever read the strips here and there, or chunks of some of the books from the library, but never straight through.

Patman
01-04-11, 04:10 PM
Nemesis had a sucky 4th/final issue (for volume 1). Millar was really reaching there in the end.

fujishig
01-04-11, 04:54 PM
I can't really recommend the current run of Birds of Prey... it seems a little all over the place (though admittedly the last arc was heavily dependent on reading the previous series, which I did not). In addition, the art has been all over the place (with single issues having multiple artists). I hear Secret Six is good, though.

Teen Titans has had gorgeous art and a new direction, so I'm digging that, though I'm of course still a month or so behind. In addition to Batgirl, I'm also really liking Superboy.

Navinabob
01-04-11, 05:19 PM
I will.

GI Joe Cobra? Is the shit. Ok, I don't love it as much as the books biggest fans do (I saw it picked as book of the year a few places), but it's really cool. It's nice to have some really cool Joe media to consume. GI Joe Cobra, and the new cartoon, are making me pleased as punch. Cobra is the uber serious take on something completely ridiculous (something I love), and the cartoon is giving me the cartoon the way I have remembered it in my head, but know good and damn well the classic show wasn't this well written or awesome. It was to my 8 year old self though. Happy about that.

28 Days Later. I read the second volume, and this book is just great. It should be mandatory reading for anyone who enjoyed the movies. These comics have the best sense of frenetic motion I've encountered in a while. It's like you can see the people running for their lives, and the infected popping out and attacking them. Anyone else reading this?

I'm still pretty cold on mainstream books right now. Something will come around that will reinvigorate me, but right now I'm sticking to the fringes with Batgirl. I tried Batwoman, but I didn't like that too much. The art was nice, but a bit too intricate for my tastes, and I didn't care for the superhero part of the story. The stuff with Kathy Kane out of the suit was really good, though.

I do want to give Gail Simone's DC stuff a try. I really dug her original Birds or Prey run, but there are only so many hours in the day.

OH! And I just got the Complete Calvin and Hobbes in the mail. So I'm going to be reading that too, but I want to do it slow. I've only ever read the strips here and there, or chunks of some of the books from the library, but never straight through.

How is the GI Joe book written by Max Brooks (World War Z)? I've been meaning to give it a try... maybe if a trade comes out.

davidh777
01-04-11, 09:43 PM
After about two trades, I thought Birds of Prey was the best thing around. Sadly it went quickly downhill (someone on this board seemed to have some insider info). I gave up on the trades but did pick up Oracle: The Cure, which I started but don't think I finished.

sinned
01-06-11, 12:31 PM
I just read one of the worst comic books I've come across in a long time: Wolverine: The Best There Is #1

This was part of my DCBS shipment I just received. The storytelling by Charlie Huston was incomprehensible. Wolverine is a hairdresser and suddenly wants to dance because he likes the song (I'm not kidding). Some vague comment about Simon Cowell. All the curse words are censored by ####. Hated the at by Juan Jose Ryp.

Here is the IGN review:
http://comics.ign.com/articles/113/1138148p1.html

ytrez
01-07-11, 10:08 AM
I just got the Superman: Secret Origin hardcover by Geoff Johns & Gary Frank and I'm about half way through. Against my better judgment, I bought it because of the favorable reviews I saw online. I haven't enjoyed a Superman book in quite a while and how many times to I need to read his origin? Once should be enough. As far as retellings go, I'm content with Byrne's Man of Steel series. I should have left well enough alone. Just a couple of weeks ago I read Superman: Earth One and hated it. One would think that would have deterred me from picking up another Superman book so soon afterward, but I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.

The first thing that struck me was the slavish devotion to Superman: The Motion Picture. I love that movie too, guys. I really do. But modern comic book writers need to stop trying to be Hollywood screenwriters. Or (since some of them actually are Hollywood screenwriters) at least recognize that you're working in another medium and make adjustments. When did that movie come out, 1978? We can move on from the characterizations presented in that film and make a different product entirely in the comics. While not at bad as Superman Returns in terms of slavish devotion, Johns and Frank give Clark Kent not only Christopher Reeve's bumbling mannerisms, but Frank also draws Clark/Superman to look like Reeve. I don't follow the regular Superman titles but I hope they haven't retconned this characterization into those books. When the adult Luthor is introduced his face is hidden in the panel. I fully expected to turn the page to see that he looked like Gene Hackman. Luckily he did not.

I hope it gets better but I'm up to the introduction of the Parasite and I the prospects don't look good. I think I'll go back and read some of Johns' work on the JSA to wash away the bad taste.

fujishig
01-07-11, 01:23 PM
It's because Johns is a Donner disciple. I also think only Gary Frank draws him like Reeves.

I picked it up, even though, like you, I've read enough Superman origin stories, only because this is supposed to be the current version of his origin, and I'm still very confused by all the changes made in recent years. They basically nullified Byrne's single-Kryptonian, depowered, no Superboy version and seemed to bring it back to pre-Crisis state. In fact, the whole DC Universe seems like it's back to pre-Crisis: Barry Allen is back, the Multiple Earths are back (though Earth 1 and Earth 2 are basically merged), Superman was Superboy and part of the LoSH, HawkWorld was pretty much nullified long ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if Batman: Year One and Perez's origin for WW are not canon anymore either.

Haven't gotten around to reading it yet, though I'm hoping it makes the early LoSH stories in Adventure Comics make a little more sense.

Patman
01-07-11, 02:21 PM
For current DCU continuity, which earth are we reading stories about in the DC comics published nowadays? If JMS has launched Superman: Earth One in the collected hardback format, then that explains why I'm confused.

majorjoe23
01-07-11, 04:36 PM
For current DCU continuity, which earth are we reading stories about in the DC comics published nowadays? If JMS has launched Superman: Earth One in the collected hardback format, then that explains why I'm confused.

Current DCU is still Earth One, as far as I know. They just named the graphic novels Earth One for some confusing reason, since it will only throw off longtime readers and mean nothing to new ones.

The Bus
01-07-11, 05:09 PM
Just finished King of the Flies Vol. 1, a French book released in the US by Fantagraphics. Reminds me of Black Hole a lot. Great, great read.

boredsilly
01-09-11, 02:02 PM
How is the GI Joe book written by Max Brooks (World War Z)? I've been meaning to give it a try... maybe if a trade comes out.

I'm not reading it, but I've heard only so-so things about it.

After about two trades, I thought Birds of Prey was the best thing around. Sadly it went quickly downhill (someone on this board seemed to have some insider info). I gave up on the trades but did pick up Oracle: The Cure, which I started but don't think I finished.

I liked BOP longer than you did, but I did feel like it started to dip when it got close to issue 100. The first 20 to 30 so issues of Simone's run were really fun, and ranged from solid to great comics. It's an odd run, though, as I have little desire to reread those issues. Once really felt like enough. However, maybe I'll get nostalgic for this run in a few years time.

I just got the Superman: Secret Origin hardcover by Geoff Johns & Gary Frank and I'm about half way through. Against my better judgment, I bought it because of the favorable reviews I saw online. I haven't enjoyed a Superman book in quite a while and how many times to I need to read his origin? Once should be enough. As far as retellings go, I'm content with Byrne's Man of Steel series. I should have left well enough alone. Just a couple of weeks ago I read Superman: Earth One and hated it. One would think that would have deterred me from picking up another Superman book so soon afterward, but I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.

Johns is great at what he does, but I haven't really had the desire to read a lot of his recent output, including Secret Origin. However, don't let that put you off of his other Superman stuff. It does adhere to the mythos of the Donner films, but I found Johns' and Frank's Superman stuff to be really satisfying. It's on the better side of Superman tales that we've gotten in a while.

Superman works best in the one off stuff, though. All Star Superman, Superman: Red Son, and Superman: Secret Identity are the best modern Superman stories for my money. Secret Identity gets overlooked a lot, but seriously, that is one special book.

Bob_Bobbson
01-10-11, 04:41 PM
Current DCU is still Earth One, as far as I know. They just named the graphic novels Earth One for some confusing reason, since it will only throw off longtime readers and mean nothing to new ones.

I thought currently the books follow the events of New Earth (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/New_Earth), which is a blending of some elements of both Earth-One and Earth-Two

Man all these Earths are confusing.

The Valeyard
01-10-11, 09:35 PM
The Current DCU takes place on New Earth which is an amalgamation of Earth-One & Two with characters from Earth-Four, Earth-S & Earth-X. After Infinite Crisis & 52, a lot of DC's Silver Age history was restored (Superman's Superboy past, the Legion, Wonder Woman being a founding member of the Justice League, etc). It's still the DC Earth we've been reading since 1986 (Post Crisis) with fanboy touches of the Pre-Crisis.

New Earth is essentially Earth-1 without the name.

The next Earth in line is Earth-2 which updates the Pre-Crisis Earth-Two with the Justice Society and Infinity, Inc merging into one team.

Earth One is only a DC imprint for their new graphic novel series. They haven't made any official statements that this Earth One universe actually takes place on Earth-1 of the DC multiverse.

fujishig
01-11-11, 01:16 PM
I completely forgot about the "new" Earth 2 and the second Power Girl...

JLA: not getting any better. Oh goody, "evil" Supergirl. I hate to say it, but it really does seem like Bagley is mailing it in at this point... plus the majority of the team in this issue are women, and he doesn't really draw attractive women all that well. I swear he did better work when he was doing a biweekly comic, I have no idea what's going on with him.

Batman and Robin: The transition from Morrison's run to this one was jarring in both storytelling and art, and I'm out.

Flash: two issues in a month, both done by Scott Kolins, and neither of which features the Flash at all; one on Captain Boomerang and one on Professor Zoom. Not that it wasn't enjoyable, but there's already a large supporting cast (including Wally) in this book that we've seen little to nothing of, and I can't shake the feeling that these were one-shots instead of part of the series.

Adventure Comics: This changed from being the history of the Legion to being a second Legion monthly (and soon to be Legion Academy). I guess the price drop meant they had to drop the backup feature, but I'm not buying yet another one-shot to see how the Atom shorts pan out. That turned out to be a waste.

JL Generation Lost: This is the better of the two JL books, but that's not saying much. I was actually enjoying the run until the Ice retcon and the all-powerful-Max-Lord stuff that's been used a little too often. It also seems like the book has repeated itself in it's short run: two captain atom time travel stories, two "Max Lord making the world see something that makes a hero a villain" times, etc. It's like Winick just wants any excuse to put in stuff like Alloy and the Creature Commandos, which hey, I'm all for, but it seems gratuitous at times. Hate to drop something that I've invested in so heavily, but as a biweekly it's pretty expensive...

Patman
01-11-11, 05:19 PM
Bagley's returned to Marvel, so we won't need to worry about him on JLA anymore for a few years, and you're right, his women aren't all that attractive to look at in the comics he draws.

The Valeyard
01-13-11, 03:24 AM
I was absolutely disappointed with the Robinson/Bagley run on Justice League. The writing was (is) terrible and Bagley's art just wasn't popping. I really had high hopes for the book but Robinson.... Robinson! What happened?

davidh777
01-16-11, 12:25 AM
Invincible HC 6 coming March 8! :banana:

Of course I gave up and bought the equivalent TPBs a while ago, but I'm almost tempted to get this as well because it'd look so good with the others.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KqhGRjoHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

brayzie
01-18-11, 12:41 AM
Bagley is back at Marvel already? He had an impressive run with Bendis on Ultimate Spider-man. I feel bad that DC gave him a booty version of the Justice League to work on.

Man, I was a big DC fan when Jim Lee was drawing Batman, but they fell the F off. I understand the need to clean up continuity, but why do all these Earth-1, New Earth, Pre-Crisis Earth, etc changes if every modern story requires a fanboy manual to know what's going on?

I don't have a problem with DC trying to make things less confusing by going back to basics but they do it in a weird way.

fujishig
01-18-11, 11:24 AM
The weird thing is, that was the whole impetus behind Crisis on Infinite Earths... to streamline the DC Universe and make it easier to understand. Now it's like they've reversed course and are going after the fanboy, with a bunch of obscure characters and trivia and stuff. That may be just the books I'm reading, but I really think if I were a new reader, I'd be very, very confused. I mean, what title can you really pick up as a new reader? JLA is a mess; Batman is undergoing huge changes; all but one of the books Superman is usually in don't feature him; Wonder Woman is apparently in some parallel universe; Brightest Day almost requires a degree in DC continuity. JSA and Teen Titans are starting with new creative teams, so I guess there is that.

Bagley got hosed drawing that awful Trinity weekly book right off the bat, but I think maybe he's just not suited to DC. Robinson's writing leaves a lot to be desired, but the art is also lacking, and my hope is that he's just burned out at DC and will get back to his usual self at Marvel.

Going through the first HC of American Vampire right now...

dadaluholla
01-18-11, 12:27 PM
So I was checking out Marvel's solicitations for April...is it me, or are they releasing more titles per month now than they were during the glut of the 90's?

brayzie
01-18-11, 12:53 PM
The weird thing is, that was the whole impetus behind Crisis on Infinite Earths... to streamline the DC Universe and make it easier to understand. Now it's like they've reversed course and are going after the fanboy, with a bunch of obscure characters and trivia and stuff.
I liked the simplicity of what the All-Star line was initially about; bringing these characters back to their classic status. Too bad the artists couldn't meet deadlines even with an extra month between issues, and one writer turned in a bad parody.

Bagley got hosed drawing that awful Trinity weekly book right off the bat, but I think maybe he's just not suited to DC.

I forgot about Trinity. I couldn't see the appeal of that title. It's like JLA minus everybody else.

PhantomStranger
01-18-11, 01:07 PM
The weird thing is, that was the whole impetus behind Crisis on Infinite Earths... to streamline the DC Universe and make it easier to understand. Now it's like they've reversed course and are going after the fanboy, with a bunch of obscure characters and trivia and stuff. That may be just the books I'm reading, but I really think if I were a new reader, I'd be very, very confused.
I think the only fans left at this point willing to go out and buy weekly comics are continuity fans, so DC Comics is just catering to the remaining customer base. It is not a recipe for growth, but selling some books to a limited audience is better than the hope you will get new fans.

Personally I never saw the point of "streamlining" continuity, as the big push by DC to kill off major portions of their iconic history really hurt them in my eyes. The move to eliminate the real Superboy from DC history after Crisis might be the dumbest decision any comics company ever stuck with for a long period of time.

sinned
01-18-11, 01:16 PM
So Thor is being relaunched again with a new #1. It was relaunched with a new #1 about 2.5 years ago which lasted 12 issues, then became #600, which lasted about 19 issues (I think the latest issue was #619), and now back to #1. They'll continue the current series and rename it Journey into Mystery.

Does Marvel really think that Thor can carry 2 books (even with the upcoming movie)? Wasn't there a time in the late 90's to early 2000's that the Thor title wasn;t published for years? I'm guessing that Thor carrying 2 books will last maybe 1.5 years.... just in time for the Thor book to be cancelled and folded back to the Journey into Mystery book for the... wait for it... Landmark 650th issue!!

brayzie
01-18-11, 01:22 PM
I liked some of the Byrne reboot but yeah, even he admits taking out Superboy was a bad decision.

I don't have a problem with streamlining some stuff. But the solution for Crisis On Infinite Earths was bad.

Suddenly Wonder Woman was a new hero, just arriving in Patriarch's World. Why?

Because of this, they had to change the origin of the JLA, replace her with Black Canary I think, had to alter Donna Troy's origin yet again.

Hawkman got messed up.

fujishig
01-18-11, 01:28 PM
I agree with the Superboy complaint... I liked Byrne's Man of Steel, but the editorial edict to have Supes be the only Kryptonian around and not becoming a hero until adulthood really messed with the Legion, Supergirl (who I know died in Crisis anyway, but while Matrix grew on me, I still don't like the new one), Powergirl, and the founding of the JLA. But after years and years of getting stories working around all of that, I have a hard time reconciling all the recent retcons.

I thought JMS's Thor lost a lot of steam personally, but I guess he brought Thor back into prominence and between that and the recent movie, they can probably try two titles. I mean, they have like 5 Avengers titles, 3 Cap books, 2 Iron Mans (and War Machine), two Hulk books and multiple Deadpool titles, I'm not sure how low circulation has to go these days to get cancellation. Also, haven't they already been running a second Thor book (a couple of miniseries) the last year or so?

Quack
01-18-11, 02:11 PM
Has anyone downloaded any CBZ readers for their iPhone or iPad? In the market for one that will hopefully work.....

Yo Mama
01-18-11, 02:16 PM
Has anyone downloaded any CBZ readers for their iPhone or iPad? In the market for one that will hopefully work.....

ComicZeal

fujishig
01-18-11, 02:59 PM
comicZeal works well, from what I hear, but Cloudreaders does a decent job and is free (but only usable on the ipad). I use ComicReader Mobi, which unfortunately was banned from the app store for a year.

fujishig
01-20-11, 11:23 AM
Okay read the final collection of Ex Machina... I'll have to go back and re-read the whole series, but it seemed to me like they squeezed a ton of stuff in at the last minute. The last issue certainly changed the entire tone of the series (I realize it ties in with the very beginning of the series). I can't imagine reading this with huge gaps in between issues, though.

Gamblor187
01-24-11, 08:27 PM
How's the quality of the "Death of Captain America" hardcover omnibus? I was about to get the stories in softcover TPBs but noticed that the omnibus can be had for about $10 more. Is it worth the extra money?

Gamblor187
01-24-11, 08:35 PM
Flash: two issues in a month, both done by Scott Kolins, and neither of which features the Flash at all; one on Captain Boomerang and one on Professor Zoom. Not that it wasn't enjoyable, but there's already a large supporting cast (including Wally) in this book that we've seen little to nothing of, and I can't shake the feeling that these were one-shots instead of part of the series.

What's up with Wally these days anyway? Has he shown up anywhere since Barry Allen's return?

It looks like he'll be showing up in the "Flashpoint" story that Johns has coming up so maybe they'll finally do something with him.

I actually think that the Flash's supporting cast could use some trimming. The disaster that was "Rebirth" left us with at least seven Flash-related speedsters. Though I don't want to see them all killed off (Okay. Maybe Wally's stupid weiner kids), there are just too damn many of them.

ytrez
01-25-11, 06:37 AM
How's the quality of the "Death of Captain America" hardcover omnibus? I was about to get the stories in softcover TPBs but noticed that the omnibus can be had for about $10 more. Is it worth the extra money?

Yes!

PhantomStranger
01-25-11, 09:16 PM
I actually think that the Flash's supporting cast could use some trimming. The disaster that was "Rebirth" left us with at least seven Flash-related speedsters. Though I don't want to see them all killed off (Okay. Maybe Wally's stupid weiner kids), there are just too damn many of them.
They need to make the Flash special and unique, which he isn't if that many speedsters exist. Take Wally temporarily out of the picture, and kill off Jay Garrick. It's ridiculous that Jay Garrick is still around as an active superhero. I say that as someone that loves the entire Flash legacy, but Jay's time is over.

fujishig
01-26-11, 10:55 AM
They did take Wally out of the picture (much to my chagrin, but I realize that the costumes were STILL too similar for even DC's artists to get straight)... he's pretty much retired and was seen once in the Flash series. Max Mercury came back and hasn't been seen since. Jesse's on the (crappy) JLA because that team needs a speedster, and Garrick is on JSA, I don't see a problem there (though I agree with most on Wally's kids). Oh, and Kid Flash/Impulse is on the rapidly improving Teen Titans title. I don't get a sense of speedster overload, except for the Flash Rebirth series where they kind of hit us over the head with speedster after speedster. Waid made the title work with a bunch of speedsters, and there have always been multiple speedsters in DC (Waid just brought them all together and Johns for whatever reason made Barry the catalyst).

If anything, take Barry back... I still don't understand how Iris got deaged and how nobody around them seemed to blink an eye when that happened. That's still my biggest complaint, I mean, I like Barry well enough but Wally more than came into his own and nobody that I can think of was clamoring for Barry's return at this point.

I mean, we have three different Green Lantern books with a bunch of people with the exact same power (which doesn't even take into consideration Jade on JLA and Alan Scott on JSA), and that seems to work ok.

Preterite
01-26-11, 11:39 AM
If anything, take Barry back... I still don't understand how Iris got deaged and how nobody around them seemed to blink an eye when that happened. That's still my biggest complaint, I mean, I like Barry well enough but Wally more than came into his own and nobody that I can think of was clamoring for Barry's return at this point.
Barry-Flash was one of my first "favorite superheroes" when I was a kid. I started reading him during the Cary Bates-Irv Novick run in the early seventies. I followed him right up until the "Trial of the Flash". I was moved by his sacrifice during the Crisis. And I was greatly disappointed when they brought him back.

Unlike Hal, who went out kind of a punk, Barry's death was meaningful and heroic. He had a chosen successor who was ready to step up and inherit his mantle. His arc was complete. Barry's resurrection completely undermines not just his own heroic end, but twenty years of Wally's growth as a character. And for what? As you mention, there was no public clamor for his return. Have sales skyrocketed since Barry came back? Is anyone besides Geoff Johns and Alex Ross really satisfied by the constant turning back of the clock going on at DC these days?

(That said, you can have my Levitz LSH when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.)

PhantomStranger
01-27-11, 01:23 AM
I like Wally West as much as the next guy, but Barry Allen is the Flash and his return was long overdue.

Bronkster
01-27-11, 11:01 AM
So, being out of comics for a few years now, I still see the occasional news story - such as yesterday's report of the major event in the Fantastic Four (which I won't say, out of politeness to those who may not be aware). Having been a longtime FF fan, I'm curious about this event and wonder if someone could post a quickie synopsis of it (spoilerized for safety?). Thanks!

Adam Tyner
01-28-11, 09:53 AM
Having been a longtime FF fan, I'm curious about this event and wonder if someone could post a quickie synopsis of it (spoilerized for safety?). Thanks!The last issue left off with all four members of the FF in potentially fatal situations.

Reed was in the far-flung future with Galactus, dealing with a planet that used Galactus' future self as a cosmic battery.

Sue was an ambassador in an Atlantean treaty dispute that went sour when Namor killed the other side's leader.

Ben was enjoying a week of temporarily being human (with Johnny playing chauffeur!) when an onslaught of creatures from the Negative Zone swarmed the Baxter Building.

So, readers knew in advance that someone was going to die. The question is which scenario would prove fatal. Turns out it was Johnny. The only way to close the barrier to the Negative Zone -- and fend off a wave of something like a billion warriors -- was from The Other Side. Johnny sacrificed himself to do it. The last you see of him is being overwhelmed by an endless wave of monsters. You don't actually see a killing blow or a corpse, though. Also, a big part of the deal about the Cult of the Negative Zone (also a part of Jonathan Hickman's run) is about the resurrective properties of the Zone, so there's already a door back.

#588 is the last issue, and it's probably not a coincidence that they're ending the book exactly 12 issues before 600. I'm guessing there'll be a year-long mini and the last issue will reset the numbering to 600.

boredsilly
01-28-11, 11:12 PM
#588 is the last issue, and it's probably not a coincidence that they're ending the book exactly 12 issues before 600. I'm guessing there'll be a year-long mini and the last issue will reset the numbering to 600.

Good call.

Bronkster
01-29-11, 02:37 AM
Much thanks for the recap! :up:

brayzie
02-01-11, 07:17 PM
Barry's resurrection completely undermines not just his own heroic end, but twenty years of Wally's growth as a character. And for what? As you mention, there was no public clamor for his return.

Especially when they already toyed with the idea in THE RETURN OF BARRY ALLEN.

I'm happy for the Barry Allen fans because DC only killed off the character because of sales. However, I don't think Barry and Wally are so different that it would mark an influx in sales. The only thing I can think of is DC/WB, in addition for hoping that FLASH REBIRTH will spawn the sales that GL REBIRTH has, wants their comic characters to revert back to the uncomplicated originals, so they match up better with film and TV adaptations.

It's weird that they deaged Iris without explanation, but it's even weirder how it was explained that she came back to life.

davidh777
02-14-11, 01:20 AM
Just read the first TPB of Astounding Wolf-Man and liked it--very similar feel to Invincible. I'll be picking up another volume.

And it looks like we have a May 10 date for Invincible TPB 14 :thumbsup:

Quack
02-14-11, 09:43 AM
Does anyone think the soft-cover Masterworks will continue to come out? I remember B&N released ASM up to Volume 5, but no more after that.

fujishig
02-14-11, 11:28 AM
Especially when they already toyed with the idea in THE RETURN OF BARRY ALLEN.

I'm happy for the Barry Allen fans because DC only killed off the character because of sales. However, I don't think Barry and Wally are so different that it would mark an influx in sales. The only thing I can think of is DC/WB, in addition for hoping that FLASH REBIRTH will spawn the sales that GL REBIRTH has, wants their comic characters to revert back to the uncomplicated originals, so they match up better with film and TV adaptations.

It's weird that they deaged Iris without explanation, but it's even weirder how it was explained that she came back to life.

But Johns needlessly complicated Barry's origin with Zoom and the time travel thing. I mean, Flash Rebirth was not exactly simplifying the origin.

I knew Waid would never bring Barry back, even though he teased us with that storyline. Johns also wrote great stories with Wally, but I still wonder how much of it was Johns wanting Barry to come back so that we could have Hal and Barry again.

It seems all of the original Teen Titans just can't hack it. Aqualad died and was replaced by a cartoon-friendly aqualad. Dick can't really hack it as Batman. Donna couldn't hack it as Wonder Woman. Roy's a one-armed mess. Wally was the one guy who actually took up the mantle well, and now he's faded into the background. Oh well, can't mess with the icons, I guess.

And by pure coincidence I just read Astonishing Wolf Man volume 1 and was also impressed, though reading it in trade form, things happen really really quickly. I've also been reading through R.E.B.E.L.S. (are they still called that?) and they've done a great job mixing things up. Lastly, I'm on volume 5 of Urasawa's 20th Century Boys and I've been eating it up. I've heard the ending is a little disappointing, but we'll see.

davidh777
02-14-11, 12:30 PM
Does anyone think the soft-cover Masterworks will continue to come out? I remember B&N released ASM up to Volume 5, but no more after that.

Good question. I remember frequenting my local B&N to grab as many as I could but then it seemed like they stopped and so I stopped going. I just bought ASM5, which I never got at B&N, and Amazon is showing upcoming pre-orders for FF6, Daredevil 2, and Thor 3, none of which I believe I found at B&N.

And by pure coincidence I just read Astonishing Wolf Man volume 1 and was also impressed, though reading it in trade form, things happen really really quickly.

Yeah, no question about that, and TPB1 had a big ending so I'm looking forward to #2.

fujishig
02-14-11, 12:59 PM
I wonder if it's just because I read Walking Dead, Invincible, and now Wolf-man in trade, but it does seem to me like all of these Kirkman series have just walls of exposition where characters go out of their way to have these really long conversations explaining everything. Does it read differently monthly?

Walking Dead especially, because I read the HCs and they don't put the covers in until the end of the volume, so there's no visual separation between issues.

davidh777
02-15-11, 08:45 AM
I've only read Kirkman in trades, but Invincible definitely has walls of text. I've read the one TPB of AWM and all the trades of Walking Dead and don't recall having noticed it. Maybe I just got used to it since I read Invincible first.

brayzie
02-16-11, 03:58 AM
But Johns needlessly complicated Barry's origin with Zoom and the time travel thing. I mean, Flash Rebirth was not exactly simplifying the origin.

It's pretty complicated. Zoom originally was just some guy from the future who stumbled onto an old Flash suit that contained speed powers.

Then, under Waid, Zoom was retconned into being a fan of the "age of heroes" and missing that time so much that he became a Flash fanatic who gave himself speed powers and got plastic surgery to look like his idol.

Now, I think in the latest Flash comic, Zoom is changed to have been a kid who was obsessed with not wasting time.

fujishig
02-16-11, 02:56 PM
It's pretty complicated. Zoom originally was just some guy from the future who stumbled onto an old Flash suit that contained speed powers.

Then, under Waid, Zoom was retconned into being a fan of the "age of heroes" and missing that time so much that he became a Flash fanatic who gave himself speed powers and got plastic surgery to look like his idol.

Now, I think in the latest Flash comic, Zoom is changed to have been a kid who was obsessed with not wasting time.

I meant the whole convoluted Zoom-changed-Barry's-past plot, and he is the only speedster who is able to change history. I mean, there was a major change in Barry's motivations in Rebirth, even taking away the whole speed force changes. But yeah, Zoom's been changed a bit too, and it was especially confusing because the one in Rebirth was the one from after Blackest Night, but Rebirth happened before Blackest Night, so there are two of them and... ugh.

brayzie
02-16-11, 04:51 PM
I'm not gonna lie. I'm a little tempted to buy the new Flash series. The only thing stopping me though is the reliance on past stories to tell current stories, but the past is constantly retconned, so it seems like anything that happens is of little consequence. It'll be retconned with the new writer.

fujishig
02-16-11, 05:46 PM
I think if anything, stuff written by Johns will stay "in-canon" for some time to come, since he's pretty high up the food chain at this point; in addition, I think the next big DC event revolves around Flash anyway. Go get the Flash: Rebirth trade to see if you like it, the art is very different but Johns wrote both, and it sets up the ongoing.

PhantomStranger
02-16-11, 08:12 PM
I think if anything, stuff written by Johns will stay "in-canon" for some time to come, since he's pretty high up the food chain at this point; in addition, I think the next big DC event revolves around Flash anyway. Go get the Flash: Rebirth trade to see if you like it, the art is very different but Johns wrote both, and it sets up the ongoing.
Exactly, anything Johns writes is going to be canon for the conceivable future at DC. He is basically running the show from a creative standpoint from what I gather for much of the DC universe.

fujishig
02-22-11, 03:24 PM
Dwayne McDuffie passed away:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30969

Sonny Corinthos
02-27-11, 05:35 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/SHOWBIZ/02/10/spiderman.ff.go/t1larg.vertphoto.marvel.fanfour.jpg

CNN) -- When Marvel Comics Executive Editor Tom Brevoort told CNN in December that "something new" would come out of the recent death of the Fantastic Four's Human Torch, he wasn't kidding.

For starters, they won't even be using the name Fantastic Four. On Wednesday, Marvel announced that the team is now going to be called the Future Foundation, debuting in "FF" No. 1 in March.

Gone are the traditional blue costumes. The team will now be wearing white-and-black costumes (with three hexagons replacing the trademark number "4," as well).

And then there's the cherry on top: Reed "Mr. Fantastic" Richards, Sue "Invisible Woman" Richards and Ben "The Thing" Grimm will now be joined by the superstar of the Marvel Universe, none other than Spider-Man (also wearing a new white-and-black costume).

Reaction to the news from comic book fans has run the gamut. Here's a sample:

Spider-Man joining "FF" makes perfect sense!

"I think it's a great idea," said Bob Bretall of the ComicBookPage podcast. "The association between Spidey and the FF goes all the way back to 'Amazing Spider-Man' No. 1 in 1962."

One of the most memorable examples of this on-again, off-again partnership with the FF involved a very different kind of costume change. In a 1984 issue of "Amazing Spider-Man," the webhead ended up putting on the iconic original Fantastic Four costume ... and they got around the problem of his mask by having him wear a brown paper bag on his head.

Bretall thinks that Spidey joining the team makes sense on another level: "Given that Johnny (Storm, the Human Torch) has long been Spider-Man's best friend as a superhero, it just feels right for him to step in and round out the roster to four."

Comic book historian Alan Kistler agreed: "Spider-Man is a scientist with a different perspective than Mr. Fantastic, and he specializes in different fields, so it could be very interesting to see how his own expertise rounds out this new Future Foundation. And from another angle, it could be interesting to see how Spidey feels about essentially replacing a person he considered a friend and what kind of pressure this will place on him."

On Twitter, @solidcolt put it this way: " 'Amazing Spider-Man' is possibly better then it's ever been. And now he's joining (writer Jonathan) Hickman's FF so that third movie is totally forgiven."

Too much Spidey?

"That's enough Spidey! You are everywhere already!" wrote @kodok_biroe on Twitter.

He might be the most recognizable character from Marvel Comics, and it's not hard to imagine why Spider-Man is so ubiquitous. He's even a current member of the Avengers.

There's a lot of buzz around the new "Spider-Man" film reboot starring Andrew Garfield. And then there's that Broadway musical that made so many headlines before it even officially opened.

Still, some fans might be left to wonder: Why Spider-Man? Why not a new character for the team?

"Injecting Spider-Man into the Fantastic Four will probably boost sales, but it feels like Marvel is kind of pimping out the character and spreading him too thin," Sean Fallon wrote at Nerdapproved.com.

"Normally, the addition of Spider-Man to a 'team' comic might worry me a bit. Spidey is -- along with Wolverine -- one of the most oversaturated characters in the Marvel Universe," G4 TV's comic book guru Blair Butler said. "But this new version of the Fantastic Four comes to us from Hickman -- one of the most innovative voices working in comics today -- so I'm actually really looking forward to it, white suits and all. And if you've read Hickman's other work, the new title and costumes seem to fit his science-based vision of the Fantastic Four perfectly."

Yes, about those new costumes ...

FF's new costumes are true to its roots

ComicBookPage podcaster John Mayo is a fan of the team's new look: "The new costumes look great."

Kistler, who often blogs about superhero fashion, looked at what makes the FF special in his assessment of the costumes: "(The FF) spend their spare time looking for other planets and dimensions to explore rather than patrolling for criminals to stop. So the new FF suits work for me as a compromise between customized NASA flight suits and 'Star Trek' uniforms."

White costumes ... really? (And what about Spidey?)

"I'm not too thrilled about the move away from traditional blue, but I'm sure ill get over it," Bretall said. "The new costumes are sleek, if not colorful."

And even though Kistler liked the FF costumes, he is not as thrilled about Spider-Man's look. "It's off-putting at first. Spider-Man has such a unique costume design, with interesting line work and shape, and now most of that's been removed. Black and white works for the rest of the FF, because it's supposed to symbolize their stark look on reality following the Human Torch's death, but Spidey's faced personal death and tragedy many times and has maintained a colorful sense of humor and the belief that eventually things will get better," he said.

"On the other hand, it would be boring to have him wear his classic costume and just add the hexagons to his shirt, so I can accept this as his FF outfit that he wears when he's representing their interests. If he were wearing this in his own comics as well, I'd have a bigger problem with it."

Is this really a permanent change?

As Kistler noted not too long ago on Newsarama.com, the FF have had a lot of costume changes over the years, though this one may be the most drastic.

There have also been a number of changes with the Fantastic Four over the years, particularly the "Heroes Reborn" storyline in the '90s. Which begs the question, how long will these changes last?

"While I am sure I'll continue to enjoy the title as it becomes 'The Future Foundation' for the next year, I fully expect that a year from now, the big news around the title will be that it is reverting to Fantastic Four just in time for issue No. 600," speculated Mayo. "Moreover, there is a strong possibility that issue will feature the heroic return of the Human Torch."

Permanent or not, it will be interesting to see whether these radical changes will ultimately be accepted. Brevoort promises a "unique, powerful new series that's going to surprise a lot of fans with its combination of mind-blowing ideas and visuals."

If it lives up to that promise, you'll be sure to hear exclamations of "Excelsior!" from readers.

LINK (http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/02/10/spiderman.ff.go/index.html)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SWcXxYPqxGI/TVLuyDIbt0I/AAAAAAAAElE/bgKFdvAopRk/s1600/FUTURE-FOUNDATION-MARKO.jpg

PhantomStranger
02-27-11, 09:24 PM
No problem with the remaining Fantastic Four changing their look, but would Spider-man really just suit up in a new black-and-white suit? The thing with Venom and all being a major barrier. But never let logic and character consistency stand in the way of a publicity stunt, that is the Marvel Way™.

Patman
02-28-11, 09:38 AM
Isn't Spider-Man slated to die soon, or is that in the Ultimate universe?

fujishig
02-28-11, 10:22 AM
No problem with the remaining Fantastic Four changing their look, but would Spider-man really just suit up in a new black-and-white suit? The thing with Venom and all being a major barrier. But never let logic and character consistency stand in the way of a publicity stunt, that is the Marvel Way™.

He doesn't even have the same symbol on his suit (which only has three icons anyway). Whoever said that it made sense that he's on the team because he's the best fried of the Torch is stretching a bit, to my knowledge there was only one time he was actually in the FF and that was during that Art Adams stint with Wolverine, grey Hulk, and Ghost Rider. Obviously just a way to get Spidey into another book, I'm half-surprised it wasn't Deadpool. Isn't he also on one of the X-teams?

Just read the first HCs of "Age of Heroes" New Avengers, Avengers, and Secret Avengers. Spidey and Wolverine are both on two of those teams (which is even mentioned), and the Thing is on one of them. Is that no longer the case?

Since I collect everything in trade, I didn't even realize that they canceled (or put on hiatus, like Iron Fist) Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova. Marvel seems very dependent on just a few heroes: The spidey books, the X-men books, the Avengers titles featuring spidey and wolverine, multiple Cap titles, and now multiple Thor titles to tie into the movie. I didn't see much else in the solicitations. Oh, there's Black Panther-devil and now FF featuring Spidey.

fujishig
02-28-11, 05:22 PM
So May solicitations are out, and 5 DC titles are getting the axe:
Doom Patrol
Freedom Fighters
Outsiders
JSA All Stars
R.E.B.E.L.S.

The last one is the one that really hurts, as it was doing something interesting in the little-used non-GL cosmic DC space. JSA All Stars I followed for a bit out of blind loyalty to the brand, but quit a few months ago and haven't even missed.

Looks like Winick is taking over Batman and Robin too. I saw the ad for Tomasi and Gleason's run on B & R and kinda regretted dropping it after that horrid post-Morrison arc with Miss "Hole-in-the-head" as the main villain, since I was a big fan of their Green Lantern Corps, but I guess they were only on for a single arc? Is this going to be a rotating creative team book now? Not that I'm going to get back on it now.

Adam Tyner
02-28-11, 06:13 PM
Isn't Spider-Man slated to die soon, or is that in the Ultimate universe?Ultimate.

brayzie
02-28-11, 07:25 PM
Sorry to be snarky, but I think it's strange to use "fresh and new" to describe a comic book that's been around since the 60s.

I mean, they have new costumes and another superhero from the '60s joined the team.

The costumes look kind of cool, but for a movie about futuristic astronauts.

fujishig
03-01-11, 10:20 AM
So I just received a notice from mailordercomics that the US post office is restricting shipping of comic books using Media Mail (the reasoning is that because they have advertisements, they are not really media, which I find odd, considering most media also contains advertisements). This is after the post office made me pay extra for a manga shipment from Rightstuf (which is even more confusing, because manga and graphic novels don't have advertisements unless you count ads for other comics).

Anyone else experience this with their shipments (or am I the only one cheaping out with media mail)?

ivelostr2
03-01-11, 01:39 PM
So I just received a notice from mailordercomics that the US post office is restricting shipping of comic books using Media Mail (the reasoning is that because they have advertisements, they are not really media, which I find odd, considering most media also contains advertisements). This is after the post office made me pay extra for a manga shipment from Rightstuf (which is even more confusing, because manga and graphic novels don't have advertisements unless you count ads for other comics).

Anyone else experience this with their shipments (or am I the only one cheaping out with media mail)?

i used to fight with the PO all the itme about media mail when sending movies...I asked to explain to me what media meant and she said "newpapers"...then i just stopped going to that PO, except when i told the postmaster there that i send out like $50-$100 worth of mail a week at a different post office because the other woman was nasty.

that said, i don't send or receive a lot through media mail anymore, and i what i do get, i havent had any problems.

fujishig
03-01-11, 02:30 PM
i used to fight with the PO all the itme about media mail when sending movies...I asked to explain to me what media meant and she said "newpapers"...then i just stopped going to that PO, except when i told the postmaster there that i send out like $50-$100 worth of mail a week at a different post office because the other woman was nasty.

that said, i don't send or receive a lot through media mail anymore, and i what i do get, i havent had any problems.

Don't newspapers contain ads??? This was a postmaster?

I just read an article from a couple of years ago about a guy sending comics to the troops for free and getting hit with higher postage, and the postmaster there said that media mail was only for "educational" material, which I also find to be bogus.

In any case, I guess they're cracking down now, but it's been an issue in the past. I see how a shipment of current comics can come under scrutiny, but I fail to see how graphic novels can.

ivelostr2
03-01-11, 02:40 PM
Don't newspapers contain ads??? This was a postmaster?

I just read an article from a couple of years ago about a guy sending comics to the troops for free and getting hit with higher postage, and the postmaster there said that media mail was only for "educational" material, which I also find to be bogus.

In any case, I guess they're cracking down now, but it's been an issue in the past. I see how a shipment of current comics can come under scrutiny, but I fail to see how graphic novels can.

it wasnt the postmaster, but the postmaster backed her when i complained. it was a VERY small PO. where i lived as a kid and where my parents still live. a town of less than 600 people with one way in and one way out...all the more reason to want as much business as possible id think, but whatever.

PhantomStranger
03-01-11, 08:14 PM
The US Postal Service is basically bankrupt and would have gone out of business by now if it was a fully private entity. I expect drastic changes to their operation within the next five years.

davidh777
03-08-11, 11:12 AM
Forgot to post Google's Eisner doodle

http://www.mediabistro.com/ebooknewser/files/2011/03/google-eisner-logo.jpg

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/happy-birthday-will-eisner.html

Happy birthday Will Eisner
3/05/2011 09:45:00 PM
From time to time we invite guests to post about topics of interest and we’re pleased to have Scott McCloud join us here. Scott is a comics artist with special ties to Google—he illustrated the Chrome comic book and is a 2011 U.S. Doodle 4 Google judge. He also helped in the design of today’s doodle in honor of Will Eisner, which is running in many countries including the U.S. In this post, Scott shares his thoughts on Will Eisner’s legacy. -Ed.

Will Eisner, American comics pioneer and creator of The Spirit, was born on March 6, 1917. He would have been 94 today.

Many of us who knew him still find it hard to believe he’s gone. He died in 2005, but for six decades, Eisner was a participant in, and inspiration for, much of the best in American comics, as well as a friend and mentor to multiple generations of comics artists.

Eisner influenced comics in dozens of ways. In the ‘40s, Eisner’s The Spirit—a seven-page newspaper feature—introduced an arsenal of visual storytelling techniques still used generations later, and provided an early testing ground for future comics stars including Jack Kirby and Jules Feiffer. (The Spirit also began a tradition of pictorially-integrated logos—inspiring today's snazzy rooftop doodle!)

Eisner was one of the first cartoonists to understand the power of visual education, and wrote eloquently about the process of making comics in Comics and Sequential Art (1985) and Graphic Storytelling (1996). As early as 1941, he publicly advocated treating comics as a distinct literary and artistic form, and—nearly four decades later—was instrumental in the rise of the graphic novel in America, beginning with A Contract with God in 1978.

For most of his career, Eisner was years, even decades, ahead of the curve. I saw him debating artists and editors half his age, and there was rarely any question who the youngest man in the room was. It helped that he never stood on ceremony. Everyone was his peer, regardless of age or status. None of us called him “Mr. Eisner.” He was just “Will.”

Eisner lived well into his eighties; long enough to see an industry award named after him. Inevitably, the prospect loomed that Will Eisner himself might win an “Eisner Award” leading to some awkward choices; Hall of Fame, maybe? Lifetime Achievement?

His only suggestion was “Most Promising Young Cartoonist.”

And so he was.

boredsilly
03-08-11, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I've heard of that issue with media mail, but haven't encountered it myself. It does seem like they're cracking down because more people know about it. If you notice, media mail is never offered to you, but instead you have to ask for it. They don't want you to use it.

My thing is, what media doesn't have ads in it? Video games have inserts, dvds have trailers (read ads) and inserts, textbooks do to sometimes -- I don't get it.

ivelostr2
03-09-11, 11:08 AM
I have had a little time lately to get to my pile of unread trades so I started with the the Great Darkness Saga.

I had random LOSH comics as a kid, but I could never get into them. I was more of a marvel guy, so I really have very little knowledge of these characters, other than the recent Johns’ stories. But everyone said this was a great arch so I checked it out…I really enjoyed it so far. Even the characters I thought were lame in name only I have enjoyed. I like how the team is successfully split and there are multiple narratives going on at once in the same comic, something Claremont used to do very successfully with X-men. It actually reminds me a lot of the X-men comics in the 100’s. So I’m enjoying it a lot. I have been reading an issue or so a night for the last week, but now I hit the annual in the middle of the book…it has been hard to get through. The last 3 nights, I have started it and fallen asleep after a few pages and it is like 48 pages long with tons of narrative on each page. I CURSE YOU AND YOUR CONTENT AND DIALOGUE FILLED SILVER AGE BOOKS DC….anyway, I hope to make it through it tonight, so I can get back on track.

I got the Acts of Vengence Omni and Atlantis Attacks Omni in the mail last week too, and put them into the pile of books I need to read, Im so behind….

Also, I hit the Pittsburgh Toy Con over the weekend and picked up some cheap trades:
I picked up the 3 Rucka checkmate trades. Do I need the Kobra and Outsider crossovers to make sense of them?

I also picked the Annihilation HC with Rocket raccoon on the front and the Nova Annihilation HC for $10 each, now I need to pick up some of the others, so I don’t go into this confused.

sinned
03-09-11, 02:06 PM
For the past year a lot of comic book sellers on eBay have changed their shipping to Priority Mail as they have had mail returned to them if they do it via Media Mail. Whenever I ask, they always say its because they were told that they can't ship comics via media mail because it contains advertisements. Kinda kills the deal if you are able to find one at eBay if you have to spend another $12 for shipping.

I've found that it depends on the Post Office that you go to, some of them are strict while some don't check at all.

fujishig
03-14-11, 04:05 PM
I have had a little time lately to get to my pile of unread trades so I started with the the Great Darkness Saga.

I had random LOSH comics as a kid, but I could never get into them. I was more of a marvel guy, so I really have very little knowledge of these characters, other than the recent Johns’ stories. But everyone said this was a great arch so I checked it out…I really enjoyed it so far. Even the characters I thought were lame in name only I have enjoyed. I like how the team is successfully split and there are multiple narratives going on at once in the same comic, something Claremont used to do very successfully with X-men. It actually reminds me a lot of the X-men comics in the 100’s. So I’m enjoying it a lot. I have been reading an issue or so a night for the last week, but now I hit the annual in the middle of the book…it has been hard to get through. The last 3 nights, I have started it and fallen asleep after a few pages and it is like 48 pages long with tons of narrative on each page. I CURSE YOU AND YOUR CONTENT AND DIALOGUE FILLED SILVER AGE BOOKS DC….anyway, I hope to make it through it tonight, so I can get back on track.

I got the Acts of Vengence Omni and Atlantis Attacks Omni in the mail last week too, and put them into the pile of books I need to read, Im so behind….

Also, I hit the Pittsburgh Toy Con over the weekend and picked up some cheap trades:
I picked up the 3 Rucka checkmate trades. Do I need the Kobra and Outsider crossovers to make sense of them?

I also picked the Annihilation HC with Rocket raccoon on the front and the Nova Annihilation HC for $10 each, now I need to pick up some of the others, so I don’t go into this confused.

Annihilation and the followups have been great, but it seems like that section of the Marvel Universe is on life support at the moment. It's got some great ties to the Legion of Superheroes, too: Keith Giffen wrote part of the original Annihilation series before he went DC-only, and Abnett and Lanning (responsible for the post-Zero-Hour Legion) wrote the Nova portion of the first series and most of the subsequent series.

I miss the days where the Legion of Superheroes and the New Teen Titans were up there in popularity with Claremont's X-men. Even with Levitz back it's just not the same...

JasonF
03-15-11, 09:50 AM

Great Darkness is one of the all-time greats. You probably know this, but Paul Levitz is back to writing the Legion book and he's knocking it out of the park. I highly, highly recommend it.

I CURSE YOU AND YOUR CONTENT AND DIALOGUE FILLED SILVER AGE BOOKS DC….

You're making me feel old -- Great Darkness was at least a decade post-Silver Age.

ivelostr2
03-15-11, 12:46 PM
Great Darkness is one of the all-time greats. You probably know this, but Paul Levitz is back to writing the Legion book and he's knocking it out of the park. I highly, highly recommend it.

You're making me feel old -- Great Darkness was at least a decade post-Silver Age.

yeah, i guess you are right...I didn't look at the date on these, I assumed they were mid 70's but I guess they were 1982...either way they would have been Bronze age and not Silver...Sorry to make you feel old.

I ordered the first trade for Levitz's new run. I hope it doesnt take me as long to read it as soem of the other stuff I have lying around...

fujishig
03-15-11, 12:54 PM

I'm curious what you like about it? I don't hate it, but as I said before I'm not fully back on board. I admit part of it is on a completely superficial level, as I can't get used to the new uniforms. But I can't stand Earth Man and have no idea how they can have him on the team after all that happened, and add to that the storyline with Mon-El and Shady... ugh.

I did like that they did an old-school vote-for-the-leader thing even though it probably sidetracked a major plot point they were going for.

I did enjoy Giffen's annual and I do like Adventure... it is nice that we basically get two or three Legion books a month these days.

Adam Tyner
03-15-11, 01:19 PM
I don't hate it, but as I said before I'm not fully back on board.That's where I am too. I buy everything Legion-centric that comes out every month, but they're never the first thing I read anymore, and I pretty frequently forget what happens from month to month. I've found myself accidentally rebuying a couple of issues over the past year because they're so unmemorable...I thought I'd missed an issue but just forgot buying it. I don't regret sticking with LSH but have started to feel like I'm picking up these books completely out of habit. I loved the Legion of Super-Villains one-shot, but part of me thinks that might be the first Legion comic I've felt that way about since the Waid/Kitson run?

Patman
03-15-11, 01:52 PM
I'm probably about 3-5 issues behind in my LSH reading (didn't get Adventure Comics since it was a $3.99 title until the start of this year, so I'll probably look for AC back issues in the cheap bins this summer at various comic conventions). I'm also buying them out of life-long habit for now. Perhaps I'll get caught up and decide that Levitiz's LSH just ain't doing it for me nowadays...

JasonF
03-16-11, 12:16 AM
I'm curious what you like about it? I don't hate it, but as I said before I'm not fully back on board. I admit part of it is on a completely superficial level, as I can't get used to the new uniforms. But I can't stand Earth Man and have no idea how they can have him on the team after all that happened, and add to that the storyline with Mon-El and Shady... ugh.

I did like that they did an old-school vote-for-the-leader thing even though it probably sidetracked a major plot point they were going for.

I did enjoy Giffen's annual and I do like Adventure... it is nice that we basically get two or three Legion books a month these days.

It's probably a fair bit of nostalgia -- Levitz is doing the old school mix of soap opera and superheroics that was a staple of the 80s, and that's what I love. He's also pacing it like an 80s comic, which means that something happens in every issue but it all leads to a larger story, which is also something I love. Mostly, it's just a fun superhero comic that epitomizes what I think a superhero comic should be and that nobody else is really doing these days.

ivelostr2
03-18-11, 05:22 PM
it took me 5 nights to get through the annual in the middle of the Great Darkness trade...but i guess I see its relevance since that is where the "new" invisible kid is introduced and he has been fairly important so far. I'm probably going to finish it up tonight, I'm loving it so far though.

davidh777
03-19-11, 09:21 AM

I was thinking the same thing! :lol:

Glad ivelostr2 is enjoying the Great Darkness Saga since that's one of my favorite Legion arcs (and I'm just a little regretful that this discussion isn't being recorded in the Legion thread). I have the original TPB but the peripheral material mentioned in this forum made me put the new edition on my wish list.

The good thing about being old enough to have read this in floppies is that we were fed the stories in monthly increments that allowed it unfold, rather than getting the villain spoiled by the cover.

fujishig
03-21-11, 03:30 PM
I'm not gonna lie. I'm a little tempted to buy the new Flash series. The only thing stopping me though is the reliance on past stories to tell current stories, but the past is constantly retconned, so it seems like anything that happens is of little consequence. It'll be retconned with the new writer.

Forget what I said before, don't buy the new Flash series, just wait for the trade. I've been suffering through buying this title monthly, the opposite of my usual "wait-for-the-trade" mentality, only to see it met by delays and the building up of a supporting cast only to promptly ignore them for issues on end. Now they say that issue 12 will be the end of the current series anyway. I know they'll relaunch something Flash related after Flashpoint, but it does make me a bit peeved.

brayzie
03-22-11, 08:08 PM
I wanted to buy it on your recommendation but I've been avoiding the comic shop because of my budget.

I guess it's good I didn't buy it. I understand that illustrating a monthly comic is difficult but I'm curious to know if the creators in the Japanese manga field have the same problem?
I don't like supporting a company that is so lax with the deadlines. It wouldn't make any difference to me, but eventually I get bored of waiting and lose interest.

fujishig
03-23-11, 12:27 PM
As for the Flash thing: seems like people still don't know what's really going on, but they did solicit a "fake" 13th issue that may just become a Flashpoint one-shot. They have to be doing something with the Flash, because I would assume he's central to Flashpoint. It's just that the series, while decent, with a good creative team, suffered through decompressed storytelling, schedule delays, and now a sudden ending, all of which are reasons I should have just waited for the trade (the first trade, I think, has already been solicited anyway).

The Japanese manga industry is an entirely different beast. Most manga gets serialized into huge anthologies that may come out quarterly, monthly, or even weekly. In most but not all cases, the manga is written and drawn by the same person, who usually has a studio with assistants to help out with the deadlines (for instance, some of the backgrounds and set shots, some panels, etc. But they have to be able to ape the main artist's style). There is tremendous pressure to keep up with this pace... unless you're a really established artist, delays will kill your series and perhaps your career (as there are never "fill-in" issues). While the creator doesn't have to deal with the crossovers that American comic creators do, they do have editors that they meet with regularly to help shape the series; at times, they have to make decisions solely on trying to become more popular so the series doesn't get canceled (and in some cases, series drag along BECAUSE it's so popular). The stories are then usually collected into volumes, which is how they are released here. Of course, the artists does not usually have to worry about color, so that does eliminate one step.

If you're interested in it, read Bakuman, from the creators of Death Note. It's the story of two high school kids who want to become manga artists for Shounen Jump.

brayzie
03-26-11, 04:14 PM
That's pretty interesting about the manga situation. I had heard about the assitants but didn't know anything past that.

Do you happen to know if the manga industry in Japan is still healthy or is it in severe decline like the American comic industry?

starman9000
03-27-11, 10:16 AM
Does anybody now how many issues a comic needs to still pull a profit and stay in production? Is top 300 good, or is that basically everything that's being put out?

fujishig
03-28-11, 01:16 PM
That's pretty interesting about the manga situation. I had heard about the assitants but didn't know anything past that.

Do you happen to know if the manga industry in Japan is still healthy or is it in severe decline like the American comic industry?

In Bakuman, they do mention that they will probably never see another manga series outsell the numbers of Dragon Ball because the population is declining. And certainly there is the problem where they are trying to manufacture hits, but I think that problem is there in every industry. Otherwise, unlike here it's cheap enough and pervasive enough in society there that it seems to be doing ok, unlike, say, the anime industry. At least, I haven't heard the same concerns about the manga industry.

Does anybody now how many issues a comic needs to still pull a profit and stay in production? Is top 300 good, or is that basically everything that's being put out?

Depends on the publisher, I would think. Are you looking at a certain book?

starman9000
03-28-11, 01:49 PM
In Bakuman, they do mention that they will probably never see another manga series outsell the numbers of Dragon Ball because the population is declining. And certainly there is the problem where they are trying to manufacture hits, but I think that problem is there in every industry. Otherwise, unlike here it's cheap enough and pervasive enough in society there that it seems to be doing ok, unlike, say, the anime industry. At least, I haven't heard the same concerns about the manga industry.

Depends on the publisher, I would think. Are you looking at a certain book?

I was just looking at the Farscape numbers (Boom!). They are listed at about 4,000/month, which doesn't seem that high.

fujishig
03-28-11, 03:59 PM
I was just looking at the Farscape numbers (Boom!). They are listed at about 4,000/month, which doesn't seem that high.

It's not that high, but if you look at the entire sales chart, BOOM! series are all around there (the top of the chart, especially the top 100 are filled with Marvel and DC, with Image, IDW, Dark Horse ,and a sprinkling of others in the 200+ ranges). Iredeemable is their top book at 173. So it seems like while it's not exactly burning up the charts, for a niche title based off of a now-defunct TV show, it's doing well enough for them to publish it, considering what they're already publishing. If it was a Marvel or DC book it'd be in big trouble for sure.

edited to add: basing this off this list: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/19570.html

davidh777
04-06-11, 10:14 PM
Just finished the fourth and final TPB of Astounding Wolf-Man, which I liked, though not as much as Invincible or The Walking Dead. Both of those I'm caught up on TPB-wise, and have pre-ordered the new volumes for each. Of course now Amazon wants to throw everything else Kirkman has ever done into my recommendations -ohbfrank---kidding! :lol: I actually did buy one of them, some kind of Guardians of the Globe spinoff miniseries.

fujishig
04-07-11, 11:27 AM
I just received volumes 2 through 4 of Astounding Wolf-Man, but I'm going to re-read 1 first. Is the series over, or are you just saying that that's all that was collected?

Also received the 6th Invincible Omnibus, now I can read 5 and 6 back to back...

I read the latest issue of JLA. I know I complain about the book all the time (and I don't think the current series, starting way back with Meltzer's run, was any good) but I really want a team led by Dick Grayson to work. The issue before, I thought Robinson was on the right track, with the whole setup of the Eclipso threat. This issue, a stupid Doomsday crossover gets crammed into the book, so we have the team split with Eclipso and Doomsday both decimating parts of the team. I feel like I got half of a JLA issue and part of some Doomsday special I have no desire to read. The kicker is that the Doomsday story continues in some Superman/Batman annual I'm not getting. Oh, and I hate Dark Supergirl and insecure Jesse Quick. Art is better now the Bagley is off, but I don't get the love for Booth, who I still see as an Image-lite kinda guy.

Read last month's JSA... what the heck is going on in this book? I'm going to wait to see what the larger cast (now that the totally unnecessary JSA all-stars book is done) is like, but I have no idea how or why anything is happening in this book. And Alan Scott dressed up as an actual physical Lantern without the cool Alex Ross armor is really dumb looking (and I otherwise like Kolins art here)

Here's hoping last month's Teen Titans, Superboy, Legion of Superheroes, Adventure comics, and Legion of Supervillains special are more exciting.

davidh777
04-07-11, 12:44 PM
I just received volumes 2 through 4 of Astounding Wolf-Man, but I'm going to re-read 1 first. Is the series over, or are you just saying that that's all that was collected?

Also received the 6th Invincible Omnibus, now I can read 5 and 6 back to back...

Wolf-Man is over. I wouldn't mind reading more, but better to go out when it feels right rather than try to prolong it.

And I just got Invincible 6 too, even though I had gotten impatient and bought the TPBs for the equivalent issues. I just like having all the HCs together.

fujishig
04-08-11, 12:19 PM
Well, I look forward to finishing up Wolf-Man, then.

Teen Titans has been great. I mean, after Felicia Henderson's run, there was nowhere to go but up, but both the art and the plot has been pretty good, even if the team seems to get trounced every issue. I can't tell you how much I missed Tim Drake, and how grateful I am that he's not only back, but he's leading the team.

I've been enjoying Supergirl as well. That's another title that has had a horrendous history, to the point that I dropped it, but I wanted to see what the new creative team was going to do. Unfortunately, it seems like the creative teams are rotating again. But here we get a competent, non-dark Supergirl who actually leads a small team of former Titans. I don't even mind that they used Blue Beetle and Miss Martian with no explanation (Beetle's been with the outcasts of JL:Generation Lost, and Miss Martian was in some kind of coma or something from the aforementioned Henderson Titans run).

I'm ambivalent about the status of Oracle after the recent Birds of Prey storyline... it doesn't make much sense to me how and why that happened, but I assume it was some kind of editorial mandate.

Superboy suffered from fill-in art. but otherwise I enjoyed the Kid Flash race. I didn't think Superboy really had super speed, though, certainly not to the level of Kid Flash.

LorenzoL
04-10-11, 11:13 AM
I only have an iPhone but the one I downloaded "Bookman" is free and works really well.

boredsilly
04-16-11, 08:13 AM
I'm reading through Strangers in Paradise, and I cannot put these books down. They're like soap opera popcorn for the soul. So tasty.

davidh777
04-24-11, 03:58 PM
Just burned through Invincible HC 6 yesterday even though I already have the TPBs. :up:

Good day for finishing things as I also finished The Hunger games and Batman: Arkham Asylum for 360. :up::up:

fujishig
04-25-11, 11:49 AM
Finished up Wolf-man a couple of weeks ago... pretty decent ending, but was this just because of poor sales? Some of the latter plot point resolutions seemed really rushed (though I was reading them at a brisk pace).

Maybe I'm just reading too much internet criticism, but man am I tempted to just drop all DC titles except for Legion (the LOSV special was actually pretty good!), Superboy and Teen Titans. The editorial decisions are just killing me. The can't get a consistent team on Supergirl, they have Oracle abandoning heroes who had learned to rely on her because she has to "create a new internet" for Bruce, and they're putting out 20+ Flashpoint specials/miniseries in a single month. 3 issue miniseries at that, which will be great for comic book retailers to try to guess on ordering the final books before the first ones even get sold. For this they canceled the Flash (maybe temporarily, maybe not) JSA, while going in a new direction, is not the JSA of old, and unlike other books there was nothing wrong with the JSA of old. The JLA is a mess, and I might just wait until Johns just puts the hammer down and puts out a big 7 book himself (now that all members of the Big 7 are back).

How are the three Green Lantern books these days? I've been collecting them in HCs and trades, but it's pretty far behind... is the War any good, or is it just dragging on at this point?

The Valeyard
04-25-11, 07:03 PM
It's kinda dragging for me.

Adam Tyner
04-26-11, 01:49 PM
Maybe I'm just reading too much internet criticism, but man am I tempted to just drop all DC titles except for Legion (the LOSV special was actually pretty good!), Superboy and Teen Titans. The editorial decisions are just killing me.I really dug the LoSV special too.

I stopped reading Power Girl when Amanda Conner and Palmiotti/Gray left the book, but I hear it's still been really great. I might get back into that. I'm really liking Batgirl and Secret Six too. (Since you like Supergirl -- which I have to admit to not reading but have meant to -- there's a Batgirl/Supergirl team-up-ish issue that might be a good jumping on point for you. That's actually where I started reading...) A lot of the other DC stuff I've been reading has either just ended or is about to end, so I'm not left with much. I'm reading a few other Bat-books but could take or leave those.

fujishig
04-26-11, 02:14 PM
I really dug the LoSV special too.

I stopped reading Power Girl when Amanda Conner and Palmiotti/Gray left the book, but I hear it's still been really great. I might get back into that. I'm really liking Batgirl and Secret Six too. (Since you like Supergirl -- which I have to admit to not reading but have meant to -- there's a Batgirl/Supergirl team-up-ish issue that might be a good jumping on point for you. That's actually where I started reading...) A lot of the other DC stuff I've been reading has either just ended or is about to end, so I'm not left with much. I'm reading a few other Bat-books but could take or leave those.

I actually am reading (and enjoying) Batgirl too, just forgot to mention it! I had dropped Supergirl a while back after the first year or so of issues had her becoming Dark Supergirl, dreaming of killing Superman, and had her shacking up with Captain Boomerang's son and randomly fighting whatever hero happened to guest star in her book. I think Amazon's Attack was the last straw. It supposedly got better a while ago (and they retconned the whole "dreaming of killing Supes" thing as Kryptonite poisoning during World of Krypton), but I jumped aboard when the new creative team came on. The new writer lasted one issue, and now the replacement writer is leaving... which is too bad, because Supergirl is portrayed as competent and able to lead a small team of heroes.

I need to go back and get those Amanda Conner issues of PG... what have you been hearing of the book? I dread anything that Winick is writing, ever since he massacred Donna and Young Justice in "Graduation Day." (I have been picking up JL: Generations Lost, but that was mainly for the characters, and at this point I'm just waiting to complete the run).

I do highly recommend the latest run of Teen Titans (not the dreadful Deathstroke-led Titans book). After what may be the worst run of a writer I've ever read on a book, they rebooted it nicely.

As for the Legion, ironically what I'm liking is that they're tying things into stuff like Oa. Which is odd, because IIRC, what made the Great Darkness Saga big bad reveal so shocking was that they had purposefully avoided stuff like Legacy Heroes, Green Lanterns, and tying things into the 20th Century, besides Supergirl and Superboy. Adventure Comics has been decent too, though I've always liked Phil Jiminez's work (anybody who can draw that much like Perez...).

Adam Tyner
04-26-11, 02:37 PM
I need to go back and get those Amanda Conner issues of PG... what have you been hearing of the book?Just what I've read on a few comic review sites and heard on podcasts like Awesomed by Comics. There was more than a little bit of skepticism about Winick taking over, and that's why I dropped the book too, but everything I've heard seems to be pointing to Power Girl still being really great.

Adventure Comics has been decent too, though I've always liked Phil Jiminez's work (anybody who can draw that much like Perez...).I'm liking Adventure a lot...kind of reminds me a lot of Avengers Academy, which is one of my favorite Marvel books.

Gamblor187
04-27-11, 12:16 AM
How are the three Green Lantern books these days? I've been collecting them in HCs and trades, but it's pretty far behind... is the War any good, or is it just dragging on at this point?

Really dragging right now. Not enjoying it at all. It's an overcrowded mess and has been for a while now. I'm at the point where I'm collecting it just because I love the character. I've heard that they're going back to smaller stories after War Of The Lantenrs, so I'll stick with it a little longer before dropping it.

Quack
04-29-11, 08:21 PM
I know it's been around for a while, but I just started reading Y The Last Man....really enjoying it so far.

starman9000
04-29-11, 08:52 PM
I bought Y and Fables...What do people suggest I read first? (also reading Invincible, but I'm missing vol 4 and 6 so need to wait on that one).

davidh777
04-30-11, 12:47 AM
I really like Y. Bought the first volume of Fables and started it but got distracted. Need to try it again.

davidh777
04-30-11, 09:50 AM
More info on Y in this thread (probably spoilers)

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/544253-one-only-y-last-man-thread.html

Quack
04-30-11, 11:05 AM
Thanks David!

fujishig
05-02-11, 12:24 PM
I recommend Y only because it's complete and you can read it all before starting on Fables. Otherwise, they're very different from each other, it shouldn't matter which order you read it, it really depends on what kind of story you want to read.

My monthly shipment is going out this week, so I've been catching up on my backlog:

Read Joe Casey and Niimura's I Kill Giants in HC and liked it, though for whatever reason I never really read the comic book scripts that they include in books like this... I'd much rather have more illustrations and candid talk from the creators.

Picked up and read more of Urasawa's 20th Century Boys (bought 6 through 11 in the in-stock Rightstuf sale, since I've been waiting for a Viz sale that has yet to come). It just keeps getting better and better. I hear there's a letdown soon, but man does he know how to tell a story. Ordered all three movies just because I was so caught up in the story (though I can probably only watch movie 1 at this point)

starman9000
05-02-11, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys.

davidh777
05-05-11, 10:41 AM
Just read Invincible TPB 14: The Viltrumite War. This series completely rocks--78 issues in and I'm still riveted.

The trick will be to see if I can resist the floppies. I had to go TPB because I got fed up with the slow HC release schedule, but getting sucked into the floppies would really be going down the slippery slope.

Darn you, Kirkman, for ending this TPB with some yet-to-be-discovered issues with Atom Eve.

fujishig
05-09-11, 11:43 AM
With Invincible I went the opposite way... started with floppies, then went to tpbs, then switched entirely to HC. But I hate the wait as well.. I just read vlume 5 mainly because I know I have volume 6 on my shelf, ready to read right after.

Finished Justice League: Generation Lost... and that was Maxwell Lord's master plan? I spent 24 issues thinking that this guy has some master plot that ties it all together, and it's basically

He wants to kill wonder woman for revenge. That's it. Never mind that Wonder Woman was screwed around with by JMS and nobody remembers her, you'd think it'd be easy to off her. But no, go get a convoluted plot going where you allow certain people to remember who you are so that they can thwart you While you're at it, Winick, go ahead and pointlessly retcon Ice's origin. It feels like a story that could have been told in a miniseries, padded out to be a bi-weekly title for a year.

Oh, at the end Batman wants to reunite JLI. Why? Who knows? There's certainly no compelling in-story reason, besides "wanting to keep Max Lord and Checkmate in check."

davidh777
05-09-11, 11:50 AM
I went to Free Comic Book Day on Saturday and everything in the store was 35% off. I totally would have gone for the Invincible floppies but their latest issue was #78.

Sonny Corinthos
05-12-11, 08:01 PM
'The Incredible Hulk' coming to an end
It's not always easy being green.

"Green Lantern" and "The Green Hornet" are having a big year, but for the Hulk, it's the end of an era.

Marvel Comics announced on Wednesday that the 49-year old comic book would be finishing its run in August, after 635 issues. (Due to recent events in the Marvel Universe, the series was retitled "Incredible Hulks" last year).

However, the Hulk's adventures will continue in the series simply titled "Hulk," which launched in 2008.

Senior Editor Mark Paniccia told CNN that the comic book world is far from done with the Jade Giant (assuming he survives the current "Fear Itself" story arc): "The only hint I can give about the future is that we’ll be delving into the duality of the character in a way we haven’t seen for a looooong time."

As for the historic 635th issue, which brings writer Greg Pak's "Heart of the Monster" arc to an end, Paniccia teased, "It’s the end of one of the wildest rides in the green goliath's history."

But it's not all "Hulk smash!"

"Bruce [Banner]’s true love has always been Betty Ross. His feelings for her have been a driving force throughout the history of the character," he said. "This last arc of Pak's shows there’s nothing more painful than a love that isn’t meant to be."

The Hulk also plans to make a return to the big screen next year when Mark Ruffalo portrays Banner in "The Avengers," while ABC has a TV series in the works.

The Valeyard
05-12-11, 08:13 PM
I love the way that article is spun.

Too bad DC didn't re-number Flash #12 (Vol. 3) to #609 (Vol. 1) and claim that after 71 years, this "historic" issue would be the last.

fujishig
05-12-11, 09:36 PM
Right, they're "canceling" the Incredible Hulk title, but keeping Hulk and the character is continuing on in that title? Didn't they combine the numbering of the various Hulk series to come out with issue 600 (though some contest there were only 599 issues and a -1 issue)? How historic is this again?

The Valeyard
05-12-11, 10:42 PM
Historic enough for them to release Incredible Hulk #1 AGAIN in a few months.

Just like Thor.

Just like Captain America.

Just like X-Men.

Just like Wolverine.

Etc.

davidh777
05-13-11, 01:52 AM
Finally caught up with TPB 1 of Darwyn Cooke's Spirit series. Really fun read. I've wanted to read since reading the Batman-Spirit floppy, but it just kind of sat there on my Amazon Wishlist for forever. On FCBD I gave up and bought it for myself. :)

fujishig
05-13-11, 12:37 PM
That reminds me, I still haven't gotten around to picking up Cooke's second Richard Stark's Parker book...

davidh777
05-14-11, 12:33 AM
That reminds me, I still haven't gotten around to picking up Cooke's second Richard Stark's Parker book...

I got the first but haven't read it. I'm a Cooke fan.

starman9000
05-17-11, 12:37 PM
I'm waiting on Vol 6 of Invincible (TPB) so I took your advice and started with Y last night, read through the the first 3 and am loving it. I think I like invincible more, but they are both right up my alley.

davidh777
05-17-11, 01:04 PM
I was visiting my parents in the Bay Area over the weekend and stopped in Legends, which I think we've discussed before. They had Invincible 79 so I went ahead and bought it. That resolved that particular story line (or at least satisfied the cliffhanger) so I'm glad I read it and think I'll be OK waiting for the next TPB rather than be tempted by another floppy.

fujishig
05-18-11, 04:07 PM
I got the first but haven't read it. I'm a Cooke fan.

Now there's a HC coming out (showed up in my goldbox today) collecting the first two books with 64 extra pages, oversized. Even with OGNs, I should just wait for the collection... :)

ytrez
05-19-11, 07:07 AM
Now there's a HC coming out (showed up in my goldbox today) collecting the first two books with 64 extra pages, oversized. Even with OGNs, I should just wait for the collection... :)

From Amazon: Darwyn Cooke's first two Parker books, The Hunter and The Outfit, are collected in a tremendous, special, oversized hardcover edition - with an additional 65-pages of Darwyn Cooke content and a brand-new story - encased in a beautiful slipcase! Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter graphic novel debuted in July 2008 to instantaneous popular and critical acclaim. It made the New York Times bestseller list and won coveted Eisner and Harvey awards. The second graphic novel, The Outfit, was released last year and was met with similar response, and is currently under consideration for nominations in this year's awards season. The Hunter and The Outfit tell the story of Parker, Richard Stark's classic anti-hero, as he returns to New York to settle the score with his wife and partner in crime after they betray him in a heist gone terribly wrong. After evening the field and reclaiming his prize, the Outfit decide to do some score settling of their own... and learn much too late that when you push a man like Parker, it had better be all the way to the grave.

Well, that's a kick in the teeth. I'd have loved an oversized version of this but don't think I'll shell out the bucks for a double dip.

davidh777
05-19-11, 11:01 AM

From Amazon: Darwyn Cooke's first two Parker books, The Hunter and The Outfit, are collected in a tremendous, special, oversized hardcover edition - with an additional 65-pages of Darwyn Cooke content and a brand-new story - encased in a beautiful slipcase! Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter graphic novel debuted in July 2008 to instantaneous popular and critical acclaim. It made the New York Times bestseller list and won coveted Eisner and Harvey awards. The second graphic novel, The Outfit, was released last year and was met with similar response, and is currently under consideration for nominations in this year's awards season. The Hunter and The Outfit tell the story of Parker, Richard Stark's classic anti-hero, as he returns to New York to settle the score with his wife and partner in crime after they betray him in a heist gone terribly wrong. After evening the field and reclaiming his prize, the Outfit decide to do some score settling of their own... and learn much too late that when you push a man like Parker, it had better be all the way to the grave.

Well, that's a kick in the teeth. I'd have loved an oversized version of this but don't think I'll shell out the bucks for a double dip.

I'd say that's pretty :drool:-worthy

fujishig
05-20-11, 01:32 PM
I was already upset that they "cancelled" Flash, but if DC really is going to go through with renumbering most of their titles, I think I'm jumping out of monthly collecting and just going for trades:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/17/dc-looking-to-relaunch-everything-in-september/

Patman
05-20-11, 08:32 PM
Wow, it does sound like a good jumping-off point for DC, doesn't it?

The Valeyard
05-21-11, 01:11 AM
I've already dropped several Marvel titles that have "re-started" with brand new #1's. If this DC rumor is true, DC is going to lose a ton of my money.

starman9000
05-21-11, 07:54 AM
I finished Y last night. That was a fun ride, thanks to everyone that recommended it. Now, if my stupid Invincible trades would show up, I'd be in heaven.

davidh777
05-21-11, 08:31 AM
Glad you liked Y :up: What's the hold-up with Invincible?

starman9000
05-21-11, 08:34 AM
Oh, I am missing #6. I thought I had ordered it a few weeks ago, but apparently I didn't, so now I have to wait a few more days. (have most of the others already, so after I get that I can finish up through #13)

LorenzoL
05-22-11, 09:43 AM
I have been reading the Lone Wolf and Cub series. I'm up to volume 18 and so far I have been enjoying every single one. I have read that the movie series is up to the same quality but I think that's going to be my next purchase.

boredsilly
06-07-11, 03:55 PM
I have been reading the Lone Wolf and Cub series. I'm up to volume 18 and so far I have been enjoying every single one. I have read that the movie series is up to the same quality but I think that's going to be my next purchase.

This is something I've always wanted to read. This, and Usagi Yojimbo.

fujishig
06-07-11, 06:28 PM
This is something I've always wanted to read. This, and Usagi Yojimbo.

There's an awesome hardcover collection that came out not-so-long-ago collecting the first two years (I think).

LorenzoL
06-07-11, 07:21 PM
A must read IMHO. The comics gives you a great insight to feudal Japan and the samurai code.

LorenzoL
06-13-11, 10:13 AM
I have been reading "Flashpoint" and so far, I like it especially the Deathstroke and Batman titles.

Has anyone been reading "Fear Itself" from Marvel? How's the crossover?

The Valeyard
06-13-11, 11:33 AM
Has anyone been reading "Fear Itself" from Marvel? How's the crossover?

I'm only reading the main mini-series. The first issue is well worth the price with a steady build-up. Issue 2 follows up pretty well but I was a bit disappointed with Issue 3 once things start blowing up. Hoping everything rounds out next issue.

LorenzoL
06-13-11, 11:38 AM
I'm only reading the main mini-series. The first issue is well worth the price with a steady build-up. Issue 2 follows up pretty well but I was a bit disappointed with Issue 3 once things start blowing up. Hoping everything rounds out next issue.
Thanks. It seems to me that there's a lot more titles that you need to follow if you want to read more than just the main mini-series...

The Valeyard
06-19-11, 12:25 PM
Thanks. It seems to me that there's a lot more titles that you need to follow if you want to read more than just the main mini-series...

Definitely. A LOT more!

davidh777
06-19-11, 01:31 PM
All-Star Superman TPB 1 was a good read. Need to pick up #2.

fujishig
06-20-11, 02:09 PM
TMNT finally coming out with an ultimate collection HC series (I guess to coincide with the new ongoing?)

starman9000
06-23-11, 08:28 AM
I finally finished Invincible through the Viltrumite War TPB. I absolutely love that series, and now have the tough choice if I want to start picking up the monthlies. :( (for some reason, in an effort to avoid spoilers, I must have convinced myself that this was the end of the run)

Is the Walking Dead just as fun? I've never been a big in the Zombie genre, but I need something more like this next.

Adam Tyner
06-23-11, 09:53 AM
Is the Walking Dead just as fun?"Fun" wouldn't be the first word I'd use to describe The Walking Dead. :) I really, really loved the book somewhat early on, but the introduction of the cartoonish, hyperaggressively-over-the-top Governor marked the "I can't read this anymore" point for me. I'm a little over a year's worth of issues behind now. It seemed like it was about to rebound when I stepped away, so I might pick up where I left off.

I really liked Invincible but lost interest during the Viltrumite War where it got all Geoff Johns-y with everyone being ripped apart, drenched in blood, and just...blah, joyless and miserable.

Kirkman's never had much of a grasp on dialogue, and that's been making both of those books tough for me to read lately.

boredsilly
06-23-11, 11:04 AM
I finally finished Invincible through the Viltrumite War TPB. I absolutely love that series, and now have the tough choice if I want to start picking up the monthlies. :( (for some reason, in an effort to avoid spoilers, I must have convinced myself that this was the end of the run)

Is the Walking Dead just as fun? I've never been a big in the Zombie genre, but I need something more like this next.

Someone on a podcast I listen to was singing the praises of Invincible recently, and it made me think I need to revisit that series. I read the first 12 issues or so and really enjoyed them. There are just too many good comics out there to read, but not enough time.

davidh777
06-23-11, 11:59 AM

I'm in exactly the same boat. I started with the Invincible HCs--I actually bought the first one a year or two before I finally read it--then got impatient when one of them (vol. 5 maybe) kept getting delayed and started getting the TPBs (but still getting the HCs as well since they're so nice). Now that I'm caught up, I'm torn about going floppy. What helped was that I broke down and got floppy 79, which resolved some stuff and now I'm satisfied enough to hold out for the next TPB. At least I am now.

"Fun" wouldn't be the first word I'd use to describe The Walking Dead. :) I really, really loved the book somewhat early on, but the introduction of the cartoonish, hyperaggressively-over-the-top Governor marked the "I can't read this anymore" point for me. I'm a little over a year's worth of issues behind now. It seemed like it was about to rebound when I stepped away, so I might pick up where I left off.

I really liked Invincible but lost interest during the Viltrumite War where it got all Geoff Johns-y with everyone being ripped apart, drenched in blood, and just...blah, joyless and miserable.

Kirkman's never had much of a grasp on dialogue, and that's been making both of those books tough for me to read lately.

Invincible and The Walking Dead are my two favorites now, and just this morning I was reading the new TPB. The series does go over the top, but heck, it's a world gone wacky. :) I'm still loving it. But yeah, "fun" is not the word. :)

I think people have been getting ripped apart and bloodied throughout Invincible's run. :)

Just this morning Amazon sent me notice that Guardians of the Globe TPB has been delayed again. :(

Adam Tyner
06-23-11, 12:14 PM
I think people have been getting ripped apart and bloodied throughout Invincible's run. :)Very true. :) It just seemed like with volume 12 that that's pretty much all there was. I know it's a war and everything, but it felt like I was reading Infinite Crisis rather than something I like.

davidh777
06-23-11, 12:33 PM
Very true. :) It just seemed like with volume 12 that that's pretty much all there was. I know it's a war and everything, but it felt like I was reading Infinite Crisis rather than something I like.

True. I've gotten used to the gore but I agree that there are times when it's like "enough already."

And I sometimes sigh when I see brick walls of dialogue coming up. Still love these series, though. :)

starman9000
06-23-11, 12:42 PM
Are the spinoffs good? I see there's an Atom Eve one and the GoG coming up.

fujishig
06-23-11, 01:29 PM
I thought the Atom Eve one was decent (get the more recent collection, which collects the original Atom Eve mini and the Atom Eve and Rex Splode mini if you're a fan of the characters. I wasn't even aware of the GoG one.

davidh777
06-23-11, 03:02 PM
Yeah, the first Atom Eve was meh (and I'm a fan of the character), and the second part of that collection was better. (I ended up buying both, unfortunately.) Worth reading if you're jonesing for more.

GoG is the one I post about every month or so after I get notified that it's been delayed. :(

The other Kirkman series I read recently was Astounding Wolf-Man, which you might want to try. Good read with some Invincible crossover, and a limited run so you won't be left hanging when you're all caught up on the TPBs.

davidh777
06-24-11, 01:03 PM
I don't know if you have the comixology app, starman, but I got the first issue of Astounding Wolf-Man free there, then got the TPBs.

davidh777
07-29-11, 09:31 AM
I got another notification that Guardians of the Globe was delayed, sigh.

Blind buy from a local shop on a weekend getaway and found it a good read. Apparently there's a HC collection that's out of print, but a second collection just came out. May try it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511nloNeW-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

boredsilly
07-29-11, 01:51 PM
People were raving about Battlefields a lot not that long ago. I totally forgot to check it out, but thanks for reminding me. Need to see if my library has any copies.

starman9000
08-05-11, 11:15 AM
A Game of Thrones comic is coming next month:

http://youbentmywookie.com/entertainment/five-page-preview-of-dynamite-game-of-thrones-comic-book-adaptation-13436

I liked the Hedge Knight ones (hoping they do a 3rd).

davidh777
08-21-11, 10:51 PM
Nice...

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T_9cYc880IE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Art of Joe Kubert
Edited by Bill Schelly
List Price: $39.99
Hardcover: 224 pages
Publisher: Fantagraphics Books (October 31, 2011)

A coffee table art book spanning all 70 years of this legendary creator’s work!

Joe Kubert is one of the great comic book artists. His career literally traverses the history of comics, beginning in 1938 when he became a professional at age 12, to today as one of the greatest draftsmen working in the field. Kubert is known and respected as much for his sinewy, passionate drawing as he is for his consummate storytelling skills. Over his 70-year career in comics, he has worked as an artist, an editor, a publisher, an entrepreneur, and a cartooning auteur. The Art of Joe Kubert is a deluxe, full-color coffee table book that honors this legendary creator with beautifully reproduced artwork from every phase of his career as well as critical commentary by the book’s editor, comics historian and Kubert biographer Bill Schelly.

Schelly’s text parallels the visual evolution of the artist’s work, tracing his life and career from his early days drawing Hawkman in the Golden Age, to his creation of Tor, his involvement in creating 3-D comics in the 1950s, his tour de force stints on DC’s war comics — Sgt. Rock, The Unknown Soldier and the groundbreaking Enemy Ace — in the 1960s, to illustrating the adventures of Tarzan in the 1970s. Show More And before finding a creative safe haven at DC Comics in the ’50s, Kubert drew for many smaller and more obscure companies, including Holyoke, Quality, Fiction House, Harvey, St. John, and others — all of which are represented, including a 50-page section of comic-book stories in the horror, crime, and SF genres from the pre-Comics Code era, reprinted in full color for the first time.

Although Kubert is known for his contributions to pop culture icons such as Tarzan and Sgt. Rock, he has also invested his creative energy in more personal projects over the last 20 years, including journalistic and historical graphic novels such as his Eisner Award-winning Fax from Sarajevo and Yossel: April 19, 1943, all of which are illustrated along with Schelly’s insightful analysis that places these later, more mature works in the context of Kubert’s career. 224 pages of full-color comics and illustrations

fujishig
08-22-11, 10:36 AM
So I'm going through last month's comics, which is pretty much at the end of the old DC Universe. I'm not sure if I should feel happy that at least they gave creators some time to tie up plotlines, or if I should be ticked that they pushed out multiple issues with obvious fill-in artists (so the top tier, I guess, could move on to the new universe stuff) and then, in an editorial, asked me to thank them for the privilege.

I don't collect Doom Patrol but I like Giffen's wrap up. Robinson's JLA wrap up seems like sour grapes (please feel sympathy for Donna Troy, even though I misused her in my title for the past year or so!). Jeff Lemire (Superboy) and Bryan Q. Miller (Batgirl) having shortened runs is criminal, but I'm sure they'll knock their DCnU stuff out of the park, pity I won't be there to see it, at least not in floppy form. JSA pretty much shows us why what was once one of the best franchises that DC had now has no title... man has that book gone downhill. Legion's coming back, but that didn't stop them from having a legion of fill-in artists anyway.

It really does seem like DC just ran themselves into the ground before starting up their new universe. Look at what should have been the flagship titles.

1. Marc Guggenheim on JSA just was not a good fit; he and Robinson crippled Alan Scott, then he gave him that lantern costume, he crippled Mr Terrific and brought half a dozen new heroes in with no explanation, AND made the team grim and gritty. It was like he pretty much came in with no understanding of the characters and just wanted to write his own story, which is not good on a team built from legacy characters.

2. Robinson's JLA had editorial interference and a d-list team that acted out of character, had way too many thought balloons, and had the same storyline over and over (oh, another insanely powerful villain who can turn teammates against them; hey, I hope we have some guest stars that can save the day!).

3. JMS had that whole Superman Grounded year-long story, which I haven't read but didn't seem that interesting to me and I have yet to find someone who really liked it. Before that was World of Krypton, which got summarily swept under the rug.

4. Ditto for that Wonder Woman in an alternate reality/new costume story. I still have no idea how this one ended. (I realize WW is not a huge selling title normally but it got a ton of hype)

5. Brightest Day: I've only collected the trades, but it doesn't seem like much is going on at all.

6. Johns and Manapul on Flash: certainly an incredible creative team, but did anything really happen in 12 issues? Did they know they were just going to tread water until Flashpoint?

Certainly Green Lantern (under Johns) and Batman (under Morrison) were doing well, and that's why they're not changing much. But intentionally or not, they made some terrible editorial decisions on some of their big titles at the exact same time. You'd think they would've cleaned house in that department before doing a relaunch, but we'll see. I already see some #2s have different artists.

Sorry for the semi-rant, DC's been the only floppies I've been getting and now there's a huge void (I'll still get Legion, and I started Marvel's Alpha Flight). I'm also intrigued by digital. I'm past the point where I really need the individual issue in my hand as a collector (hence my going to trades a long long time ago), and I mainly started getting monthly issues again to kinda keep up and out of a sense of nostalgia. But of the stuff I've collected in floppy form and the stuff I've collected in trade/HC, only a fraction of that is stuff that I really need to keep on my bookshelf, and they take up so much space, with little resale value. I'm not on board with paying full price for digital, but if they have the occasional 99c sale I can see myself picking up runs, since really, I just want to read comics, not collect them.

Adam Tyner
08-22-11, 11:20 AM
Bryan Q. Miller (Batgirl) having shortened runs is criminal, but I'm sure they'll knock their DCnU stuff out of the parkI don't think he's writing any DCnU books, disappointingly.

Patman
08-22-11, 03:26 PM
I'm definitely more cautious about buying much of the DCnU titles coming out in September. Since I rarely buy Marvel since all the titles I was interested in were $3.99 titles, and I just don't buy at that price point unless it's super-duper special, DC pretty much scuttled my DC buying habits, and now I have to declare some choice in which books I now want to hitch my comic buying habit onto, and it's only about 10 titles, and that means I'll be buying half as much as I did before the DCnU relaunch. DC might have done better by just launching their own version of DCUltimates line of comics instead of going for the total quasi-relaunch idea with their existing characters.

Eric F
08-22-11, 09:10 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61I52F1FTRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I just picked up a load of TPBs off GoHastings recent 40% off book sale, including John Byrne's Next Men Premiere Vol1 HC for only $7!!! What a steal!!! And what a great book! I'm so glad I picked it up. Too bad that series run was so short- but isn't that the way it is with good things.;)

JasonF
08-22-11, 10:26 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61I52F1FTRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I just picked up a load of TPBs off GoHastings recent 40% off book sale, including John Byrne's Next Men Premiere Vol1 HC for only $7!!! What a steal!!! And what a great book! I'm so glad I picked it up. Too bad that series run was so short- but isn't that the way it is with good things.;)

It wasn't that short! It ran 30 issues back in the day and -- in case you're not aware -- Byrne restarted it through IDW recently. The 9th (and final) issue of the restart is due out next week; it wraps up the whole story, although Byrne has said he's going to do a series called "Aftermath" set in the same world and using some of the same characters.

Gamblor187
08-29-11, 09:36 PM
There's so much focus on the DC reboot that I somehow overlooked the news of Mark Waid writing Daredevil. I picked up the first two issues last week and highly recommend them. Nothing groundbreaking, but lots of fun. And "fun" is something that has been lacking from Daredevil for a long time. Nice art from the current guy (can't recall his name offhand) with some art from Marcos Martin in upcoming issues!

LorenzoL
09-05-11, 09:56 AM
Upon hearing news that a TV series is in the works, I finished the first volume of Powers and was very impressed by it. I liked the set up and how Walker origin story and how he came to be. However, I was disappointed by the ending.

I'll start the second volume soon...

fujishig
09-05-11, 07:39 PM
The Walker origin story? I though that doesn't come into play until much much later, how many issues did the volume collect?

Finally got around to reading the first jumbo hc of the wolverine-led x-force which I've heard nothing but good things about. So far so good. Also re-read my Absolute New Frontier, which is not really in any kind of DC continuity but still made me miss the old DC universe. Also forgot how great it was, since it's been a while. I think I'll crack open my Absolute Justice next, which is probably almost completely the opposite.

LorenzoL
09-05-11, 08:47 PM
The Walker origin story? I though that doesn't come into play until much much later, how many issues did the volume collect?

What I meant was that I finished all 37 issues of the first volume of Powers. I believe the second run of the series was 30 issues.

fujishig
09-07-11, 07:41 PM
So this will teach me to read the solicitations more carefully...

I've been reading Avengers Academy in trade form, so when the Avengers Academy trade Arcade Death Game was solicited, I ordered, thinking it was part of the series. It contains:
Avengers Academy Giant Size #1 (so far so good!)
Spider-Man (1990) #25
Marvel Team Up (1972) #89

You know what they all feature? Members of the Avengers Academy, maybe, or maybe old tales of their staff? No, they all feature Arcade. That's it. And I already read Spider-Man #25, back in... 1990 or so. This seems like a new low to me. 14.99 cover price for this. They couldn't just throw this in with the next Avengers Academy trade? Bad enough that their trades and select HCs are collecting 3 to 4 issues at a time now. I know it's my own fault for preordering this, but this is ridiculous to me. Who demanded that they reprint these issues? Ugh... I'm probably the only person on the planet that bought this.

Here's the first review that came up when I searched for the issue online:
http://comics.ign.com/articles/116/1166173p1.html
The tagline: "Want to save $8? Don't buy this comic book"

Supermallet
09-13-11, 12:56 PM
Finally read Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing. Wow. That just about blows away every other comic I've read not called Sandman. I can only imagine reading those when they first came out. It's like Alan Moore turned comics from entertainment to art in one series.

Now I'm going to dive in to Tintin.

Trevor
09-13-11, 05:07 PM
Finally read Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing. Wow. That just about blows away every other comic I've read not called Sandman. I can only imagine reading those when they first came out. It's like Alan Moore turned comics from entertainment to art in one series.

It really was that revolutionary, IMHO.

I'm sure that's slighting many talented writers and artists throughout the preceding years, but Alan Moore made a lot of us go, 'wow'.

I was a voracious mainly DC reader from the 1970s onward, and Swamp Thing was actually my favorite character from his Wein and Wrightson origins. Reading Alan Moore's take on the character was like waking up from a great dream and finding yourself in an even better one.

Josh-da-man
09-13-11, 05:44 PM
DC had a great run from the mid-80s to the early 90s that started with Swamp Thing.

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol and Animal Man, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Peter Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Jamie Delano and Garth Ennis' Hellblazer, Watchmen, V for Vendetta... that's just an insane amount of amazing comic books.

Supermallet
09-13-11, 07:02 PM
And of course The Dark Knight Returns.

PhantomStranger
09-14-11, 12:44 AM

I hope you have read Alan Moore's run on Miracleman. As good or better than his work on Swamp Thing. Horribly rare to find because the rights mess has prevented any reprinting, but very easy to find on Google if you know what I mean.

boredsilly
09-14-11, 05:33 AM

I'm about to give some of those books a run too. I looked at some of the art, and it holds up surprisingly well.

Hokeyboy
09-14-11, 08:04 AM

Wait... you just discovered Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and now are about to dive into Tintin?? I'd kill or die to be able to experience both sets of comics for the first time all over again. :up:

I read Moore's SWAMP THING in its first run. To say it was mindblowing when it first came out is understatement of the century. And I discovered them at the spinner rack of my local Circle K (Aahhh, where I road my bike to for 20 minutes just to get my comics fix... where 10 bucks got you 10 comics, a Snickers, and a Coke ...)

You ever read Jamie Delano's HELLBLAZER?

Supermallet
09-14-11, 01:19 PM
I didn't just discover Swamp Thing or Tintin. I've known about both for years (actually did read some Tintin when I was a kid), but somehow never got around to giving them the proper reads they deserve. I knew that Moore's reputation in America started with Swamp Thing. But I had read Watchmen and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and I assumed that Swamp Thing was just a jumping off point to those other works. Boy was I wrong. I like his Swamp Thing run more than anything else I've read of his.

Hellblazer is next on my list.

Gamblor187
09-14-11, 06:53 PM
Best superhero movie ever???

WHITE LUKE CAGE!

http://gammasquad.uproxx.com/2011/09/white-luke-cage-is-brilliant

Gamblor187
09-14-11, 07:01 PM
Also, the talk of Miracleman gives me an opportunity to brag that I have the entire run. It is the most prized possession. I plan to be buried with it.

starman9000
09-14-11, 08:05 PM
I love when you guys get on classic tangents like this, it gives a noob like me a ton of suggestions. :up:

Is Miracleman truly gone forever for someone like me, or could it be settled someday?

TheBang
09-14-11, 08:12 PM
Is Miracleman truly gone forever for someone like me, or could it be settled someday?
Saying it's convoluted would be an understatement. If you want to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracleman#The_ownership_of_Marvelman_and_the_character.27s_future

If you really want to read it, at least for the foreseeable future, your best bet is to "obtain" them digitally.

starman9000
09-15-11, 01:01 PM
That's interesting. Looks like Mcfarlane is a jerk, but I'm sure there's more to it.

Supermallet
09-15-11, 05:39 PM
Wow, I'm sure Tintin gets better, but the first two stories are terrible. I know they're a product of their time, so I'm willing to forgive the over the top anti-Communist propaganda and disgusting racism, but the storytelling is so absurd and amateur that there's no way I can enjoy them, even taking the times into account.

davidh777
09-15-11, 07:55 PM
Wow, I'm sure Tintin gets better, but the first two stories are terrible. I know they're a product of their time, so I'm willing to forgive the over the top anti-Communist propaganda and disgusting racism, but the storytelling is so absurd and amateur that there's no way I can enjoy them, even taking the times into account.

How early did you start? If you went to the very beginning (Land of the Soviets and Congo), those are not considered canon because they're so far from what the series became.

Supermallet
09-16-11, 12:11 PM
Yes, I started with Land of the Soviets and Congo.

LorenzoL
09-24-11, 09:09 AM
Is there a good free online comic book catalogue website similar to the ones that we use for DVDs? Do I need to buy a software?

ivelostr2
09-24-11, 09:22 AM
I use comicbookdb.com it works pretty well.

davidh777
09-24-11, 09:27 AM
Yes, I started with Land of the Soviets and Congo.

I admire the OCD, but that's a pretty tough road. I've read almost every Tintin multiple times but Congo only twice, and Soviets not at all. Part of it is knowing that once I read that and Alph-Art I'll be completely done, but also I don't really think I'll enjoy Soviets.

If you're inclined to continue--and I hope and expect you are because it sounds like you're committed to making the journey, which I also admire--I would suggest (if it's not already too late, a week later) skipping the next one, Tintin in America, and going straight to Cigars of the Pharaoh. That's more the real Tintin, and you won't really lose anything if you choose to go back to In America later.

Supermallet
09-24-11, 12:52 PM
Already read In America. While still not perfect (those Indians sure aren't depicted well), it was a quantum leap forward from the first two. For the most part, it felt like Tintin was getting out of situations through his wits rather than sheer dumb luck. Looking forward to getting further in to the series.

davidh777
09-24-11, 04:49 PM
Already read In America already. While still not perfect (those Indians sure aren't depicted well), it was a quantum leap forward from the first two. For the most part, it felt like Tintin was getting out of situations through his wits rather than sheer dumb luck. Looking forward to getting further in to the series.

Great. In America is the first book in the official canon so it indeed represents a significant step up. However, it's one of the ones I least enjoy rereading so I hope your enjoyment will continue to increase.

LorenzoL
09-25-11, 06:43 AM
I use comicbookdb.com it works pretty well.
Thanks.

boredsilly
10-04-11, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Spider-man is really working for me. Bendis has his detractors, but I think he's definitely on it with this relaunch of the book. I'm really curious to see how the old Spidey villains will interact with this new kid, and vice versa.

fujishig
10-06-11, 05:24 PM
So with Avenging Spider-Man #1 (a 3.99 comic) Marvel will polybag a code for downloading a digital copy. Unlike JL, all copies will have this code. Apparently they had been cutting down the number of pages in their 3.99 books anyway, so this is supposed to add value.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/06/giving-value-to-the-3-99-marvel-comic-for-readers-and-retailers/

Interestingly, they are giving retailers .50 for every digital download redeemed. Also, Marvel will harvest the email addresses.

I would think a lot of customers would rather just have a 2.99 comic, but they've been conditioning people with the 3.99 price anyway, so we'll see what happens. Also, if they go day and date and the digital copy is also 3.99, I have no idea who in their right mind would buy it digitally.

In other somewhat expected news, DC beat Marvel for marketshare in Sept.

Josh-da-man
10-06-11, 06:04 PM
Shit like that's why I stopped following Marvel books about fifteen years ago and never looked back.

It's ironic, as this "52" initiative from DC seemed like it was supposed to be a push toward going digital and abandoning print, but it's (so far) been quite the success for them, with all fifty-two of the books getting second printings, and some going getting third printings. I think Justice League is in its fourth printing. Fucking crazy.

PhantomStranger
10-07-11, 01:04 AM
In other somewhat expected news, DC beat Marvel for marketshare in Sept.
So how soon before Marvel reboots their entire line?

kgrogers1979
10-07-11, 01:17 AM
So how soon before Marvel reboots their entire line?

Never.

Marvel didn't reboot when DC's COIE was a success, so it is unlikely for them to do so now either.

Supermallet
10-07-11, 01:50 AM
Read both Cigars of the Pharaoh and the Blue Lotus (I think that's the title). Now these are just a joy to read. Much smarter and more mature than the earlier books.

davidh777
10-07-11, 08:32 AM
Read both Cigars of the Pharaoh and the Blue Lotus (I think that's the title). Now these are just a joy to read. Much smarter and mature the earlier books.

:banana:

LorenzoL
10-09-11, 05:20 PM
I started reading "Morning Glories" and I absolutely loved it. The setup is great and the underlying mystery has me wanting more.

boredsilly
10-12-11, 10:34 AM
Read both Cigars of the Pharaoh and the Blue Lotus (I think that's the title). Now these are just a joy to read. Much smarter and more mature than the earlier books.

I always love when I see people take up these reading projects.

madcougar
10-12-11, 10:38 AM
Anyone else pick up Optic Nerve #12? The first part was a strange departure for Tomine me thinks. The second half was pretty much what I expect from him.

boredsilly
10-12-11, 11:51 AM
I don't tend to read Optic Nerve until they're collected. How is it different? Could it be new married life is influencing his work?

madcougar
10-12-11, 02:05 PM
The entire first half consists of these gag strips about a guy trying to make a buck off of plant art. Strange.

Josh-da-man
10-12-11, 05:34 PM
Yeah, Optic Nerve #12 was a departure. It's like Tomine was channeling Dan Clowes. The second half (Amber Sweet) felt like a Tomine story, but it looks he changed up his drawing style quite a bit.

Patman
10-13-11, 02:48 PM
Wasn't much of a fan of Optic Nerve 12, either.

boredsilly
10-14-11, 03:11 AM
PunisherMAX makes every other book I'm reading feel like the Bernstein Bears.

starman9000
10-19-11, 03:31 PM
I just finished reading Daredevil Visionaries Vol 2 (Frank Miller) and have a question.

Probably don't need spoilers, but just in case:
Towards the end, Daredevil tells Kingpin that his wife is alive to blackmail him into getting his candidate to step down as mayor. Then there are a few more issues, but it's all about Electra's death. Does this story line come back up again? It just seemed kind of odd they way it was left hanging. I do have Vol 3 on the way, so I guess I'll know soon enough.

davidh777
10-20-11, 12:57 AM
I just finished reading Daredevil Visionaries Vol 2 (Frank Miller) and have a question.

Probably don't need spoilers, but just in case:
Towards the end, Daredevil tells Kingpin that his wife is alive to blackmail him into getting his candidate to step down as mayor. Then there are a few more issues, but it's all about Electra's death. Does this story line come back up again? It just seemed kind of odd they way it was left hanging. I do have Vol 3 on the way, so I guess I'll know soon enough.

That would be a spoiler. :) I love the Miller/DD run.

Supermallet
10-20-11, 01:43 AM
Taking a break from Tintin to read through the Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman runs on Miracleman. Still in the Alan Moore issues, and this is some great stuff.

Quack
10-20-11, 09:07 AM
Does anyone know of any good free comic readers for Macs?

fujishig
10-20-11, 11:34 AM
By comic reader you mean a .cbr reader?

The Valeyard
10-20-11, 11:46 AM
Comibooklover (http://www.bitcartel.com/comicbooklover/)

Quack
10-20-11, 09:45 PM
Ended up going with Simple Comic.

Josh-da-man
10-20-11, 10:46 PM
Taking a break from Tintin to read through the Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman runs on Miracleman. Still in the Alan Moore issues, and this is some great stuff.

Yes, it is. Don't know how far in you are, but it starts getting really intense/crazy/good when Totleben takes over on the art.

And I sincerely hope that Neil Gaiman gets the opportunity to finish his run.

starman9000
10-25-11, 01:35 PM
That would be a spoiler. :) I love the Miller/DD run.

I finished Millers run, including Born Again. Great stuff, though my question RE; his wife was never really answered, they barely mentioned it once in Vol 3. Just kind of a bummer that it was left out of Miller's run. Maybe it's in the issues between Vol 3 and Born Again?

Anyway, off to explore something else.

davidh777
10-26-11, 11:53 AM
I finished Millers run, including Born Again. Great stuff, though my question RE; his wife was never really answered, they barely mentioned it once in Vol 3. Just kind of a bummer that it was left out of Miller's run. Maybe it's in the issues between Vol 3 and Born Again?

Anyway, off to explore something else.

Yeah, I skimmed my vol. 3 and didn't see anything on that topic, but of course I didn't mention that because it would have been a spoiler. :)

Are you still working on the X-men project? Trying to think of other items from around the same era as DD and X-Men. The Byrne FF?

starman9000
10-26-11, 01:09 PM
I've been basically reading as I am able to piece stuff together via sales. I still haven't found the next X-men volumes at the right price, though I am very tempted to just read Dark Phoenix Saga now. I think I'm going to move on to Fables next, as I have most of that run completed, then I have a bunch of Batman stuff to get into (Hush, Long Halloween, DK Returns, for example). I've really taken advantage of the gohastings 40% off sale.

davidh777
10-26-11, 01:14 PM
bargaingraphicnovels.com and amazon have had a bunch of random Essentials and Masterworks on sale so I've bought a big bunch that should hold me for a while. Filling some holes but also trying some new things. Haven't really dug into gohastings but mean to.

starman9000
10-26-11, 01:48 PM
They are really a painful mess, but the deals have been so good that it's worth it (not for collectors at all though, as books often can come pretty beat up).

I just got both Stracynski 1-3 and Simonson (Visionaries v1) so I may go through those first actually.

starman9000
10-27-11, 10:45 AM
OK, I decided to go with Miracleman for my next read. It's pretty great so far, the only problem being I can't get this guy out of my head:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwNMXBqsEOhhyzN0VpE-VpkYl0eP30SJKhWRYp0AWlCB7LkJ85

JasonF
10-27-11, 11:22 AM

I'm so glad that Gaiman won his suit against McFarlane, got the rights situation cleared up, and enabled Marvel to reprint these! :banana:

Oh, wait ... that's not what wound up happening. :sad:

davidh777
10-31-11, 01:07 PM
Amazon keeps putting Showcase Presents Doc Savage in my gold box. I guess I should just buy it just so I won't see it there any more, and I'm kind of interested anyway.

Supermallet
10-31-11, 11:36 PM
Finished Miracleman. What a shame Neil Gaiman never got to complete his run. Lots of great stuff from both authors. Back to Tintin now.

Darknite39
11-13-11, 02:35 PM
I just finished Spider-Man: Blue last week, and I've already re-read it twice. I am not sure what it is about this book (or about me, I suppose), but it really hit me in a way that I wasn't expecting. I really wish I had read this back when it first came out while I was in college.

madcougar
11-14-11, 08:01 AM
Any thoughts on Avenging Spider-Man?

DJLinus
11-15-11, 08:59 AM
http://photoadder.com/pictures/401313899285a6a8618c41bbd7b08fac.jpg

I know it was just released today, but has anybody read Batman: Noel? I've been out of regular comic reading/collecting more or less since the early-'90s (though I still enjoy the characters via movies and video games). This Batman take on A Christmas Carol popped up on my radar and I'm intrigued. Just wondering if it's worth a purchase.

boredsilly
11-16-11, 04:17 AM
I just finished Spider-Man: Blue last week, and I've already re-read it twice. I am not sure what it is about this book (or about me, I suppose), but it really hit me in a way that I wasn't expecting. I really wish I had read this back when it first came out while I was in college.

Spider-man Blue is pretty much a perfect comic in my eyes. It's so wonderful. Sad and beautiful at the same time.

JasonF
11-28-11, 07:26 PM
My copy of IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles collection came in the mail today. This is the original stuff -- the first 7 issues (plus the Raphael one-shot) from Eastman and Laird back in the 80s. It's a gorgeous package -- oversized pages, quality paper, and issue-by-issue annotations by Eastman and Laird. Heartily recommended.

fujishig
12-05-11, 07:13 PM
I agree about the IDW Turtles collection, though it seems thicker than the number of issues collected would indicate. IDW does a bang up job on their collections, though, and I'm happy to have it.

For the first time in what must be at least a decade, I missed the deadline for ordering comics via mailordercomics.com. As I haven't really set foot in a comic store in years, this may break my chain of collecting monthly comics. I've mentioned it elsewhere, but my pull list up until Flashpoint was primarily DC titles, and they lost me with this DCnU. I kept Legion and Legion Lost because I appreciate that they kept continuity. The only other DC title I was getting was Action, mainly because the company had a good deal on issue #1, but 3.99 retail is just not worth it to me. This also pretty much put a stop to my collecting their hard covers to catch up on series I wasn't reading monthly. I started picking up some Marvel titles, but the only one I was really invested in was Alpha Flight and that's ending too. Even if I had made the deadline, my order would've been the lightest it's been in a long, long time.

On the flip side of things, with my purchase of a Kindle Fire and their support of Flash in a web browser, I subscribed to Marvel Digital Unlimited, and reading through those backissues for the next year or so should keep me busy, as well as my seemingly endless supply of hardcovers/omniboo coming from Amazon. And I've been splurging on some 99c comixology sales. In fact, I may start picking up Legion digitally.

I wouldn't want to be a comic shop in this day and age. I know there are still people who collect comics to have the physical issue, but I just want to read, and I'm fine with digital (until Comixology goes belly up and I lose all the comics I "bought" but hopefully that doesn't happen). Heck, I'm even fine with rental. The publishers look to be pushing towards digital releases. Amazon is killing margins with their trades and hardcover prices. I don't think I have it in me to track down when Legion and Legion Lost are supposed to come out and make separate trips to the local comic store to pick it up for cover price just to keep my run going.

Speaking of hard covers, Amazon just delivered to me today the new deluxe edition that collects both existing Parker volumes by Cooke. Looks gorgeous, and as I never got around to picking up the second volume, I can't wait to dig into it.

davidh777
12-06-11, 08:07 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mlA1T8ghL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Naughty and Nice: The Good Girl Art of Bruce Timm
List Price: $50.00
Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Flesk Publications (January 10, 2012)

In a radical departure from his previous work on animated films and comics featuring superheroes, the award-winning artist Bruce Timm presents an extensive survey of the many forms that his muse has assumed in his mind's eye. Naughty and Nice: The Good Girl Art of Bruce Timm showcases nearly 300 full-color, line and pencil images of partially clothed and nude women of almost every conceivable description and temperament, some accompanied by Timm's comments. Over 125 new images have been prepared especially for this handsome book. Timm explores the female form with absolute creative freedom, and pure personal expression is the result. The artist has granted Flesk Publications unprecedented access to his archives to provide the best representation of his private works. These rarely seen images span the last 15 years and are showcased in a single collection for the first time.

PhantomStranger
12-07-11, 02:37 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mlA1T8ghL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Naughty and Nice: The Good Girl Art of Bruce Timm
List Price: $50.00
Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Flesk Publications (January 10, 2012)
No one will be able to watch Batman: The Animated Series in a wholesome way ever again after seeing this book.:lol:

LorenzoL
12-07-11, 03:04 PM
I was always fond of the Samurai stories and movies so is no surprise that I absolutely love the Usagi Yojimbo series especially the early series. I finished his early appearances and the first series collected through the first few books.

davidh777
12-07-11, 07:07 PM
No one will be able to watch Batman: The Animated Series in a wholesome way ever again after seeing this book.:lol:

Well, I admit I've had some less-than-wholesome thoughts about Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn :lol:

JasonF
12-07-11, 10:33 PM
I was always fond of the Samurai stories and movies so is no surprise that I absolutely love the Usagi Yojimbo series especially the early series. I finished his early appearances and the first series collected through the first few books.

If you haven't seen it, look for a book called Oko, published in the US by Archaia Press. It's actually a French comic, but it's set in a mythological, pre-Shogunate Japan inspired world, and it focuses on the adventures of a ronin named Oko and his companions. It's really good.

In other news, my copy of the XStatix omnibus arrived today. Man, is it huge.

fujishig
12-08-11, 09:48 PM

Mad Love was actually pretty provacative for a kids show tie in comic. I think Film said they purposefully put stuff that would never fly on the tv show.

The Valeyard
12-08-11, 09:54 PM
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h433/Andrew_Rubio/Forum%20Pix/6c93dbc3.jpg

LorenzoL
12-10-11, 07:35 AM
If you haven't seen it, look for a book called Oko, published in the US by Archaia Press. It's actually a French comic, but it's set in a mythological, pre-Shogunate Japan inspired world, and it focuses on the adventures of a ronin named Oko and his companions. It's really good.

Thanks for your recommendation. Never heard of it but it's pretty cheap in Amazon so I'll order the first volume to try it.

fujishig
12-10-11, 03:32 PM
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h433/Andrew_Rubio/Forum%20Pix/6c93dbc3.jpg

And that's the edited/published version... :)

JasonF
12-10-11, 09:57 PM
Thanks for your recommendation. Never heard of it but it's pretty cheap in Amazon so I'll order the first volume to try it.

Cool. Post back here once you've read it and let us know what you think.

davidh777
12-26-11, 02:30 AM
Christmas haul:

Blind buy based on forum discussion:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51x0rmuZuWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vPdj8rHrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kkZ4ufzHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61j8BY22WiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Related:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vcrilxB1L._AA300_.jpg

PhantomStranger
12-26-11, 09:38 PM
Harbinger is real fun stuff. Those early Valiant comics from the 90's are about as close as comics have ever come to the feeling Marvel had in the 60's with a cohesive universe and fun characters under one direction.

fujishig
01-11-12, 11:43 AM
Anyone here still use mailordercomics.com? I've been a longtime user, but man this new site makes it really painful for me to find stuff (and I missed two months of orders already). Anyone who still orders from there actually like the site, or have some tips on how to browse more effectively?