Caprica: The Final Episodes -- 5 Hour Marathon starts at 6pm -- 1/04/11

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Caprica: The Final Episodes -- 5 Hour Marathon starts at 6pm -- 1/04/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-10-05

The final 5 produced episodes air Tuesday night starting at 6pm ET.

I know most of you don't give a shit anymore since the show is cancelled, but I think this will be a worthy watch just to see what direction they were heading in. Plus, this will probably be the last Battlestar Galactica-themed show for awhile until that Blood and Chrome prequel airs.

Obviously I'm not going to expect anyone here to watch all 5 hours Tuesday night.

Synopsis for "Blowback" Airing at 6pm

Spoiler:
Lacy is sent to Gemenon to join an STO training camp, but her flight gets hijacked along the way; the Willow clan becomes suspicious of Amanda; Joseph divulges a secret about the Ha'La'Tha that has ramifications for Sam and Daniel.

Synopsis for "Dirteaters" Airing at 7pm

Spoiler:
As the Adama brothers rise to new positions in the Ha’la’tha, they are haunted by the mission of their late parents and the different direction the Guatrau is taking them. Daniel hopes to use this with Sam by offering Cylons for Tauron, in exchange for refraining to carry out the ordered hit.

Synopsis for "The Heavens Will Rise" Airing at 8pm

Spoiler:
As the “Avenging Angels” change code inside New Cap City, Daniel is able to track them down, but an early snafu in trying to reach out to Zoe leave the Graystones to enter the game only under its strict rules. With only one chance, Daniel asks help from Sam who has no interest in disturbing his brother’s peace of mind.

Synopsis for "Here be Dragons" Airing at 9pm

Spoiler:
The Graystones’ search for Zoe leave them oblivious to the danger of Clarice and her two husbands invading their home. At the same time, the Adamas are targeted by the Ha’la’tha. One family will finally begin the move forward, while the other will experience yet another tragedy.

Synopsis for Series Finale "Apotheosis" Airing at 10pm

Spoiler:
Clarice and Olaf move forward with the plan to blow up Atlas Arena when they learn of their powerful ally in the GDD. Singh covers their tracks by framing the Graystones as terrorists, forcing them to go on the run. The grieving Adamas confront the Guatrau for his string of recent decisions in the hopes of avoiding further violence.

Also, if you didn't already know, the Season 1.5 DVD set was already released last month. So if you don't want to hog 5 hours of HD record DVR space, the DVD's are another option.
Old 01-04-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Caprica: The Final Episodes -- 5 Hour Marathon starts at 6pm -- 1/04/11

Originally Posted by DJariya
I know most of you don't give a shit anymore since the show is cancelled, but I think this will be a worthy watch just to see what direction they were heading in. Plus, this will probably be the last Battlestar Galactica-themed show for awhile until that Blood and Chrome prequel airs....

Also, if you didn't already know, the Season 1.5 DVD set was already released last month. So if you don't want to hog 5 hours of HD record DVR space, the DVD's are another option.
I would have cared enough to watch these if they weren't lumped all together on one night. Why didn't they air these during the major networks' winter hiatus instead of waiting for them to return with new episodes? As for the "last Battlestar Galactica-themed show", I certainly think that wouldn't be a bad thing as this show itself ended up being like beating a dead horse.
Old 01-04-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking forward to this... I have the DVR set. I still don't know how airing them this ways is a better choice than just letting the series play out in its regular slot.
Old 01-04-11, 08:29 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I've tweeted @syfy a bunch of times over the past few weeks asking if this ends in some sort of unsatisfying cliffhanger, and have never ever received a reply back... even tho whoever manages the @syfy account tweets on other things about a zillion times a day.
Old 01-04-11, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

A Giant F-U to the few fans of this show. 6pm on a weeknight? 5 all in one night? I guess we're supposed to be happy they're airing them at all.
Old 01-04-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I'm not even going to bother with this.
Old 01-04-11, 08:58 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

My DVR is set... and I'll watch one a week for the next few weeks.

Yeah right, I'll prolly run through them in the next few days.
Old 01-04-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tivo shows the original airdates of these episodes occurring last November. Therefore these showings appear in the schedule as repeats. If you have a season pass with first run only, they may not be recorded.

IMDB shows November airdates as well. I guess those were the scheduled dates before Syfy pulled them.
Old 01-04-11, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Tivo shows the original airdates of these episodes occurring last November. Therefore these showings appear in the schedule as repeats. If you have a season pass with first run only, they may not be recorded.

IMDB shows November airdates as well. I guess those were the scheduled dates before Syfy pulled them.
Yeah, I ended up just recording them individually. AT&T Uverse wouldn't recognize them as "first run."
Old 01-04-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I've tweeted @syfy a bunch of times over the past few weeks asking if this ends in some sort of unsatisfying cliffhanger, and have never ever received a reply back... even tho whoever manages the @syfy account tweets on other things about a zillion times a day.
The person who runs @syfy is the VP of programming....aka the dude that cancelled Caprica.
Old 01-04-11, 01:16 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

well, I will record them, then will ask one of you suckas who actually watches them if its worth watching or just deleting. That's my plan. Nobody lie to me.
Old 01-04-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
well, I will record them, then will ask one of you suckas who actually watches them if its worth watching or just deleting. That's my plan. Nobody lie to me.
The thing is these last few episodes were shot almost 1 year ago. So, I don't think they were planning on "wrapping things up" At the time they finished, I think they were still hoping for a 2nd season.

If your concerned that the last episode ends with a major cliffhanger leaving the story incomplete, then yeah that's a fair thing to be concerned about dedicating 5 hours to this.
Old 01-04-11, 01:51 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I'll record them and watch them when I have time. As for showing them on one night vs spreading them out over 5 weeks, that doesn't really matter to me. It means that if I like what I'm seeing I don't have to wait for the next episode.
Old 01-04-11, 01:53 PM

Fine, I'll watch them all tonight and report back. I'll take one for the team.
Old 01-04-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't put in all that time to stop now when it's getting goodish. Not expecting much sure helps.
Old 01-04-11, 05:23 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I'll try to watch as much as I can tonight. I don't have a DVR and wouldn't have even known these were on if I hadn't seen an ad during Doctor Who this morning. I'm a bit sad to see SciFi quietly burning them all off in one night like this when they make a big deal of hyping Mega-Piranha vs. Constipated Octopus or whatever crap they're airing this Saturday.
Old 01-04-11, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hear that most cable companies aren't marking the episodes as "New" so be sure to check your DVRs!

EDIT: Now that you've already missed the first half hour
Old 01-04-11, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to make sure my Comcast DVR was set to keep 5 episodes, just in case it kept recording over the previous episode, and left with with just the last episode aired tonight (as I typically just keep 1 episode of a weekly show for its recording properties).
Old 01-04-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is closure at the final ep. They resolved the major story. There are some plots that were still going. They also have a 3-4 minute wrap up segment that gives closure to other stories. Think of a 'previously on' section of a show but this is a 'what happens'. All new footage so maybe they came back to film those.
Old 01-04-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's great to hear Thanks, resin!
Old 01-04-11, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by resinrats
There is closure at the final ep. They resolved the major story. There are some plots that were still going. They also have a 3-4 minute wrap up segment that gives closure to other stories. Think of a 'previously on' section of a show but this is a 'what happens'. All new footage so maybe they came back to film those.

It's gonna be a late night!
Old 01-04-11, 06:29 PM

Having seen all the episodes already -

Anyone who has been following the show should see it to the end. These last episodes were fantastic. I watched them to the end, not even knowing it was cancelled until a few days later. For BSG fans, the ending of Caprica provides some excellent backstory to it all.

...and this is from someone who loved the pilot but barely made it through the rest of the season.
Old 01-04-11, 10:28 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I can't believe I sat through all five hours and now I'm coming here to post.

My verdict? Not bad, not bad at all. It's definitely wrapped up enough to give closure. Maybe a little too well, in fact.
Spoiler:
The last 5 minutes felt like SciFi might have given them some reshoot time to better link the end to BSG. Perhaps they were just being cautious in case they were not renewed, but this did seem like a "series" finale and not the final episode of show that didn't know it's fate. I did like the scene of Clarice preaching the STO message to the Cylons - obviously the original source of their "one true god" belief system.
Really, I've enjoyed watching the entire season. I did find it a little slow in spots, but it was always well performed and ultimately intriguing. I'm looking forward to catching the Blood and Chrome series.
Old 01-04-11, 11:21 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I watched the last 5 in a row too but I felt embarassed for the creators of the show having to watch this project treated in such an insulting way. They may as well have just run the episodes at 2am against infomercials! And a big FUCK YOU to SyFy Programming jackoffs for choosing to run this tonight when all the other networks return to regular programming with next to no promotion at all.

They had the past 3 weeks of repeats and holiday crap shows that nobody watches. I would have gladly have watched one of these a night for an entire week when nothing else was on.

This show was clearly too smart for most SyFy viewers and having seen the whole storyline now I think it would have definitely worked better as a novel. The themes were too epic and multi-layered and the characters too rich for an episodic weekly series, with the different families and factions with their rivalries against each other it just seemed to require WAY more attention than anyone could devote to a weekly show. I read somewhere that the human mind can only keep track of a maximum of 9 characters at a time during a story and this show had like 30!

The 5 minute wrapup was great and Im glad they at least gave us that much. You could see they had at least another 2 or 3 seasons left of storyline to get to some of those scenes.

Did they ever explain what happened to Lacy's character? How did she end up becoming Meg Tilly's character? Why were the robots responding to her?

And better yet, where did Tamara go? Once minute she is up in the tower with Zoe and then I don't remember seeing her again. Did I miss something?

Oh well, kudos to the show for being a 'failed but successful' extension of the BSG universe. There is clearly a lot more to be mined here. I hope the next series gets dumbed down enough to succeed on TV.
Old 01-05-11, 02:17 AM

I watched the whole thing tonight too, but am really too tired to post.

Fantastic end to the season/series.

One that was resolved in the clips at end settled my only real beef with the events of the second to last ep where...
Spoiler:
William Adama gets shot and dies. I was miffed and confused.

I'm glad they rectified it by introducing a new son, Billy, which was clearly born after the events of this season.

I'll buy this season eventually (when there is a great deal and on BD), but I'm in no hurry.

As someone said earlier, this show was too smart for SyFy viewers, but enjoyed the heck out of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.