Old 01-03-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Southland -- Season Premiere -- "Let it Snow" -- 1/04/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Detectives search for the killer of a cleaning lady in the Season 3 premiere. Elsewhere, a bank robbery leaves an officer in need of rescue; a gang member's murder calls for an investigation.

10 episode 3rd season (at least they finally got past 7 episodes)

Yes, I know this doesn't start until tomorrow night, but I thought I would give you all some advance notice for those unaware it's returning tomorrow and set your DVR's.

Preview for season 3:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6aEz_xG6aMw" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Recap of what happened in last season's season finale:

http://www.tnt.tv/dramavision/index....f=sharethisUrl

Also, one of my High School classmates is a Sargent on the LAPD and works on the show. He revealed to me that:

Spoiler:
One of the Main cast members will be killed off this season. They already shot the episode.

It's obviously not Lydia, Ben, John or Sammy since they are series regulars.

So the candidates are:
Chickie
Sal
Nate
Russ
Old 01-03-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Southland -- Season Premiere -- "Let it Snow" -- 1/04/11

I was just talking to my friend today about these 7 episode seasons. I really like this show so 10 more episodes is better than nothing.
Old 01-03-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't wait
Old 01-03-11, 01:59 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

One of my current favorite shows -- hopefully it finds an audience this season
Old 01-03-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

TNT has done a fantastic job promoting the show now that season 3 was produced and developed by them.

The show isn't heavily serialized so I think it should be relatively easy for people to jump in this season. It's more about character backstory.
Old 01-03-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Entertainment Weekly's review:

Southland
Southland has blossomed into a procedural with the soul of a serial drama. Every crime — murder, bank robbery, changing lanes without signaling — is a mini-masterpiece of L.A. noir. But the real draw is the cast, especially Michael Cudlitz, whose John Cooper is a magnetic portrait of nobility spiraling into decay. A- —Darren Franich
Old 01-04-11, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk God

http://www.daemonstv.com/2011/01/04/...dvance-review/

Here's another good review to Southland's season premiere. This reviewer even says that if you have not seen the show, it's easy to jump right in to season 3 without getting lost.

The only 2 key backstory elements you really need to know are:

1) Officer John Cooper (Michael Cudlitz) has constant back problems and is addicted to pills. It was revealed in season 1 that he's "In the closet" since he hangs out at gay bars.

2) Detective Sammy Bryant (Shawn Hatosy) and his wife Tammi's volatile relationship. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe she's bi-polar.
Old 01-04-11, 02:40 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Pretty excited for the returrn
Old 01-05-11, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Awesome season premiere. Great script by John Wells and Ann Biderman. Also loved Chris Chulack''s directing. I know alot of people aren't fans of the gritty shaky cam directing style, but I think it works great for this show and gives it more of a documentary Cops-style feel.

1st of all, it was good to see Kevin Alejandro, Arija Bareikis and even Tom Everett Scott's names in the opening credits. I did notice that Michael McGrady (Sal) was missing.

The shootout on Hollywood Blvd was pretty badass. I did think it was a little odd that Cooper, Ben, Chickie and that other cop used their vests to cover the window of the squad car. But I guess it was supposed to be a shield to protect the Sargent from the heavy gunfire. Ben confronting the suspect was awsome and the end result...

Okay one thing that bugs me is why the hell Cooper is refusing to see a doctor for his back. I know his back is all fucked up, but couldn't he receive treatment and go on disability? And then return to work when his back heals? I recall something from last season where he was concerned about being pulled from the streets.

I loved Ben being smitten by that slutty older women with the gigantic boobs in the sports car. Did anyone see how she was sitting when Ben looked at her ID and then when she dropped by the Police station.?

Great stuff overall. Thought the A, B, and C stories were all very entertaining. I even like Lydia's new partner Ochoa.

Loved Nate's line...."I'd rather be a live pussy, than a dead hero."

Last edited by DJariya; 01-05-11 at 04:04 AM.
Old 01-05-11, 09:05 AM

Yeah, good stuff last night. Entertaining throughout
Old 01-05-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, Coop could see a doctor and go on disability, but what you remember is exactly why he doesn't. He's a cop. He wants to be on the streets, not home knitting blankets and watching The Price is Right.
Also, don't quote me on this, but certain back problems can be chronic, and he may have such a situation. There may be no fixing it. If so, once he lets on, it's over for him on the streets.
Old 01-05-11, 01:57 PM

Forgot to mention, nice opening scene with Ben Sherman running the steps next to Angels Flight (notable landmark of old L.A.).
Old 01-05-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Great episode except for the ending with the chick in the car. That was just contrived and stupid.
Old 01-05-11, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Ratings were a little disappointing, espcially for TNT. 2.1M viewers and 0.7 in the 18-49 demo. That's on par with what it was getting last season.

It had a shitty lead-in though, TNT aired the movie Gladiator before it. They should have launched Southland after the winter episodes of The Closer.

I do have to assume that DVR playback numbers will increase those numbers.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-06-11 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-05-11, 11:55 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

That must have been a pretty big stretch for Emilio Rivera from playing the leader of a Mexican biker gang on Sons of Anarchy to the leader of a Mexican street gang in this episode

I thought it was a good start. I have a feeling Lydia's partner will get on my nerves quickly.
Old 01-06-11, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Gunde
Great episode except for the ending with the chick in the car. That was just contrived and stupid.
How is that any different than Sherman going to bar and picking up some random chick to get laid? Obviously the woman is a Police groupie and has a thing for Cops. He did look surprised to see her at the end, so I was wondering how the hell she knew what station he worked at and let alone what time he was getting off work. I just heard her ask if he worked at the Hollywood station, but he didn't answer during the traffic stop.
Old 01-06-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Would like to see more of the street cops, and less of the detectives.
The shooutout scene was gripping.

I would have no problem making the whole show Cudlitz and Mckenzie...
Old 01-06-11, 09:28 AM

^ Agreed. The stories on the street are far more engaging (and exciting). It's unfortunate, because I like the detectives -- namely Lydia and Sammy -- but their stories are often lacking. I think this show bites off more than it can chew sometimes -- too much going on over the course of an episode and it tends to thrash.
Old 01-06-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I was wondering how the hell she knew what station he worked at and let alone what time he was getting off work.
That was the contrived and stupid part
Old 01-06-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

man this show is good. pretty real. love coop and sherman. wish the show was entirely about them, but i understand why it isn't.
Old 01-06-11, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk God

I love Coop and Sherman, but I also think Nate and Sammy are fun to watch to for the detectives.

Not sure why they brought back Tom Everett Scott. IMO he was probably the most expendable cast member.
Old 01-06-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

While I like the show and the characters, I had the feeling while watching this episode, that the show is losing some steam.

The street stuff is where the action is, where as the detectives (especially the revolving door for Adams), are wearing a little thin.

That said, I still am going to stick with it.
Old 01-07-11, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Not sure why they brought back Tom Everett Scott. IMO he was probably the most expendable cast member.
I read that the entire reason for his getting shot in season 1 was because NBC didn't like his character and planned to kill him off or have him survive but simply leave. TNT however does like him and chose to keep him on.

Ben McKenzie was the sole reason I initially tuned into this show, because to me it was almost "Street kid Ryan Atwood is taken in by the Cohens, turns his life around, leaves O.C. and becomes a Cop".

That was my odd way of looking at it, and I love every moment of this show. As for your spoiler I would have to assume that:

Spoiler:
as much as I would hate this, I think it's Kevin Alejandro's character Nate that will be killed off, if for no other reason than HBO/Alan Ball decided to make him a full series regular for next year's fourth season of "True Blood", with TNT/John Wells and co. giving their approval of that. Alejandro has always been a favorite of mine and I sincerely hope he isn't the one to leave this show for good.
Old 01-08-11, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they replace Sammy with another actor or did he just lose a bunch of weight?
Old 01-08-11, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can anyone shed some light as to why this episode is not available on tnt's website for viewing? All episodes from last year were online.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.