Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : My local Best Buy store manager arrested for theft!

Brent L
01-02-11, 02:12 PM
I don't know how many of you remember me complaining about the awful store in Anderson, SC, most recently over the entire Anchorman BD debacle where employees were rude and pretty much called me a liar, then when I went to the store manager mentioned in this story she was the rudest most unprofessional manager I have ever encountered.

This thief had only been the manager for a few months. The moron that hired her should go to jail with her for hiring her in the first place.

However, with this news, I now feel vindicated for feeling so negative about this store:

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2011/jan/01/electronics-store-manager-arrested-theft-incident/

http://media.independentmail.com/media/img/photos/2011/01/01/perez_t300.JPG

ANDERSON COUNTY — The general manager of Best Buy has admitted to stealing four Apple iPads from the Clemson Boulevard store, according to a police report released Saturday.

Carol Perez, 39, of 107 George B. Timmerman Drive in Anderson, said she took the iPads on Dec. 14 because “she was having a hard time at Christmas,” the police report states.

Perez was arrested by the Anderson County Sheriff’s Office at Best Buy on Wednesday afternoon. She is charged with breach of trust. Perez was released Thursday from the county detention center on a $10,000 bond, a jail spokesman said.

After Perez was confronted by a deputy before her arrest, the manager’s husband returned the missing the tablet computers, which were valued at $2,316, the police report states. But since the iPads had been used, Best Buy will not be able to sell the devices, the report states.

A videotape that shows Perez taking the iPads out of a secured cage was turned over to sheriff’s officials by Raven Phillips, the area asset protection manager for Best Buy.

Deftones
01-02-11, 03:45 PM
bullshit on them not being able to sell the devices. they can't sell them for full retail, but no doubt mark them down $50 off the MSRP and they will sell.

dugnarug
01-02-11, 03:53 PM
Haha that's pretty amazing I am just going to assume that the manager at my Best Buy that gave me crap with Anchorman is also a thief. If only for my own satisfaction.

drq2
01-02-11, 04:10 PM
Best Buy will not do anything other then what they have done. They got their money back, and the items where pay for in full. It's part of doing business. The sad part is what she said. Why take it? I mean really she could have mark them down to a joking low low price. Had her husband buy them and all would have been good. Till count the stock day. Then she could have blame one of the seasonal workers for it.

The person that put in that job will look at each person next in line a little bit harder.

Sweet Baby James
01-02-11, 06:48 PM
Guilty unless she has a smokin' body.

adrenaline78
01-02-11, 07:28 PM
10000$ bond? after stealing only 2300 worth of stuff. Seems a little excessive.. I wonder if she had priors or whatnot.

arminius
01-02-11, 07:52 PM
If she was the manager, how could she not know about the camera?

ResIpsa
01-02-11, 08:41 PM
10000$ bond? after stealing only 2300 worth of stuff. Seems a little excessive.. I wonder if she had priors or whatnot.

Bond is designed to make sure you return to court - it isn't necessarily tied to the magnitude of your crime. A $10k bond seems about right in her case. She just needs to pony up the $1,000 premium to be released pending trial.

DarthVong
01-02-11, 08:50 PM
If she was the manager, how could she not know about the camera?

This. I've managed a few retailers and we always knew where the cameras were. She's not that smart obviously.

Cardsfan111
01-02-11, 08:52 PM
I mean really she could have mark them down to a joking low low price. Had her husband buy them and all would have been good. Till count the stock day. Then she could have blame one of the seasonal workers for it.

Sounds like someone has given this a great deal of thought. ;)

shyguy1083
01-02-11, 10:12 PM
Don't general managers make AT LEAST $60K a year, if not quite a bit more? Kind of ridiculous for her to steal $2K worth of stuff if she was making well more than that.

Numanoid
01-03-11, 01:23 AM
She is charged with breach of trust. Huh?

Obi-Wan Jabroni
01-03-11, 08:34 AM
Don't general managers make AT LEAST $60K a year, if not quite a bit more? Kind of ridiculous for her to steal $2K worth of stuff if she was making well more than that.

Depends what her other expenses are. I make well over that, and I don't have money for 4 iPads.

Lemmy
01-03-11, 08:54 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hsB-eKaIo4Y/SShvctxVvXI/AAAAAAAAAB8/_3c9MBM8vQc/s200/Mr+Hand.jpg

Groucho
01-03-11, 10:37 AM
$60k a year? I'm surprised she had time to come up with this scheme. You'd think she'd be too busy swimming through her giant money vault.

Moopher
01-03-11, 11:05 AM
http://www.littlestuffedbull.com/images/comics/separated/sportoftycoons.jpg

Tarantino
01-03-11, 11:58 AM
bullshit on them not being able to sell the devices. they can't sell them for full retail, but no doubt mark them down $50 off the MSRP and they will sell.

Best Buy cannot sell open iPads. Part of our agreement with Apple.

whotony
01-03-11, 04:23 PM
Best Buy will not do anything other then what they have done. They got their money back, and the items where pay for in full. It's part of doing business. The sad part is what she said. Why take it? I mean really she could have mark them down to a joking low low price. Had her husband buy them and all would have been good. Till count the stock day. Then she could have blame one of the seasonal workers for it.

The person that put in that job will look at each person next in line a little bit harder.

Not sure what most of that means especially the bolded part.
Anyway, she deserved to get caught just for being dumb.

drq2
01-03-11, 06:11 PM
Not sure what most of that means especially the bolded part.
Anyway, she deserved to get caught just for being dumb.

The insurance company will pay Best Buy in full for this item. Being it was taken by someone one that worked for them. Its covered. Does not matter if they got it back or not. The insurance company will own the items. If Best Buy does sell them then they (Best Buy) cannot add it a a claim or make a claim.

The person that put her in that job really did not do anything wrong. Just bad judgment. Given that depends on who is boss is or the higher up boss is. Speaking from my end. If this happens to many times. I have been known to move someone down.

drq2
01-03-11, 06:12 PM
Depends what her other expenses are. I make well over that, and I don't have money for 4 iPads.

Greed!

worthreading
01-07-11, 07:31 PM
Best Buy General Managers' pay starts high 70's, low 80's... Her husband makes over 100k a year... She wears name brand everything, and bought her son (who doesn't even have a permit) a jeep less than a week prior to Christmas. Hard time at Christmas... my butt.
Apple has contracts with all retailers that iPads cannot be marked down, sold used, or sold for less that full retail.
There is no insurance for loss. It is company shrink, returned or not. There is no insurance reimbursement.
The Cameras, everyone knows where they are, and it is not unusual for managers to use their keys to remove product from the cages with said keys. Only managers have these keys. There is more to the story that you do not know for the video to matter. ie who she said something about missing iPads to, the number removed vs. daily sales... etc. something not mentioned. As I previously stated, a manager HAS to remove product from the cages for them to be sold.
As for marking them down for her husband to purchase.. As I said.. ANY retailer of Apple products signs contracts stating products will not be marked down, sold used, etc.
Any more questions?

whotony
01-07-11, 07:48 PM
Well, that was worth reading.

Brent L
01-07-11, 07:49 PM
Best Buy General Managers' pay starts high 70's, low 80's... Her husband makes over 100k a year... She wears name brand everything, and bought her son (who doesn't even have a permit) a jeep less than a week prior to Christmas. Hard time at Christmas... my butt.
Apple has contracts with all retailers that iPads cannot be marked down, sold used, or sold for less that full retail.
There is no insurance for loss. It is company shrink, returned or not. There is no insurance reimbursement.
The Cameras, everyone knows where they are, and it is not unusual for managers to use their keys to remove product from the cages with said keys. Only managers have these keys. There is more to the story that you do not know for the video to matter. ie who she said something about missing iPads to, the number removed vs. daily sales... etc. something not mentioned. As I previously stated, a manager HAS to remove product from the cages for them to be sold.
As for marking them down for her husband to purchase.. As I said.. ANY retailer of Apple products signs contracts stating products will not be marked down, sold used, etc.
Any more questions?

Well, it looks like we have yet another infamous case of "someone Googles a relative after they are busted for something and finds people talking about them on DVDTalk". What is most amusing to me is that this isn't actually their first post. They previously posted the following, once without quoting me and then deleting it only to repost it while quoting my OP (and then deleting it again before posting the above):

Most people that have this kind of problem with a retailer, are those losers that want something for nothing, and get pissed off because they talk to someone that won't give it to them because the people in retail don't hunker down and give in to customers coming in cussing out employees and acting rude about breathing anymore. I'm sure it was an ad issue, you had an old ad, or you came in on Saturday, when the ads change on Sunday, wanting a 30 movie that was on sale for 5. Typical Black Friday customer looking for that 99 dollar computer at 3 in the afternoon, and yelling because there are none left. Wow....I'm sure your business is appreciated... at Dollar General.

whotony
01-07-11, 07:51 PM
I have that too Brent in my email notices.

Brent L
01-07-11, 07:51 PM
I just found it amusing. I love these instant email notifications.

Deftones
01-08-11, 12:22 PM
Best Buy cannot sell open iPads. Part of our agreement with Apple.
so what the fuck do you do with them? if you have to send them back, i'm sure you get reimbursed for a bulk of the cost, so again, you aren't out much money.

worthreading
01-08-11, 09:07 PM
Yep. I deleted my first response...twice.. The first time, because it went to the wrong place, the second time because I thought about it and felt that maybe I was wrong, I didn't know your issue, and I decided to be a better person, and not put you in the little box that I put you in to start with. Looks like I was wrong. You put it out there... so be it. I said what I said. I tried to delete it. You are trying to embarrass me or whatever.. I'm not embarrassed. I do work in a retail environment, similar to Best Buy, and anyone that works retail feels what I stated. In making an honest living to provide for our families, we deal with those people all the time. We don't make the rules, but we do have to abide by them, and nope. I'm not going to put my job, or the welfare of my family on the line for any butt that comes in with a chip the size of Alaska on his shoulder. Not you, not anyone else. I will do what I can. No more, and no less.
As for being a relative? Read what I did post, again.. S L O W L Y this time. At NO time did I romanticize what she did, not did I try to poor her, and put her in a pitty box. She did what she did. I do think it's a shame that the felony theft charge isn't mentioned any more, only the breach of trust.. I think that's a real pile.. She absolutely deserves the full charges. She was in a position of great trust, and what she did, I'm sure, caused a lot of damage. No one should feel sorry for her. She was able to provide more than adequately for her family for Christmas. Her story is just bs.
Other than that I just tried to clarify some of the statements made that I know the answers to because of previous experience with that retailer.
Any real questions, I will be glad to answer them. When you want the conversation to go back to the real topic, and would like to stop making the conversation sway to being about yourselves.
I find that amusing.

DarthVong
01-08-11, 09:32 PM
Yep. I deleted my first response...twice.. The first time, because it went to the wrong place, the second time because I thought about it and felt that maybe I was wrong, I didn't know your issue, and I decided to be a better person, and not put you in the little box that I put you in to start with. Looks like I was wrong. You put it out there... so be it. I said what I said. I tried to delete it. You are trying to embarrass me or whatever.. I'm not embarrassed. I do work in a retail environment, similar to Best Buy, and anyone that works retail feels what I stated. In making an honest living to provide for our families, we deal with those people all the time. We don't make the rules, but we do have to abide by them, and nope. I'm not going to put my job, or the welfare of my family on the line for any butt that comes in with a chip the size of Alaska on his shoulder. Not you, not anyone else. I will do what I can. No more, and no less.
As for being a relative? Read what I did post, again.. S L O W L Y this time. At NO time did I romanticize what she did, not did I try to poor her, and put her in a pitty box. She did what she did. I do think it's a shame that the felony theft charge isn't mentioned any more, only the breach of trust.. I think that's a real pile.. She absolutely deserves the full charges. She was in a position of great trust, and what she did, I'm sure, caused a lot of damage. No one should feel sorry for her. She was able to provide more than adequately for her family for Christmas. Her story is just bs.
Other than that I just tried to clarify some of the statements made that I know the answers to because of previous experience with that retailer.
Any real questions, I will be glad to answer them. When you want the conversation to go back to the real topic, and would like to stop making the conversation sway to being about yourselves.
I find that amusing.

Please don't speak for everyone in retail. If you truly feel that way about customers then you're in the wrong job.

worthreading
01-08-11, 10:27 PM
When Customers treat employees like crap, I speak for everyone.

worthreading
01-08-11, 10:34 PM
I'm not putting down customers, I'm a customer too. But rude and beligerant customers need to rethink their attitudes, and not treat people poorly for doing their jobs. Dont point fingers at me for saying it like it is. Again, this isn't about me. This is supposed to be about a manager abusing their rights.

DarthVong
01-08-11, 10:36 PM

LOL ok Braveheart. People have been treating other people like crap since time began. In retail you can't take it personal. Obviously you do which is why I said you are in the wrong job if you let customers bother you to that point.
I've seen people like you try to make it work in retail forever. You'll put on your fake smile and swear you're a people person. Yet all you do is complain when a customer doesn't kiss your ass or challenges your "rules". In the end these people get burned out and one day stand toe-to-toe with a customer and ultimately lose their jobs over it for what they think is right.

van der graaf
01-08-11, 10:37 PM

How about this? If you say you'll match prices, match them without a hassle.

If you say you take returns, take them without a hassle.

Stop trying to convince people they need to buy $100 Monster cables when a $2.99 one will do just fine.

Stop trying to sell bloated and overpriced software to unknowledgeable customers.

Be informed about the product(s) you are selling MORE than me (who just likes researching tech/Blu-ray/etc. online as a passing interest).

And, most of all, know your own damn policies. I can not tell you how many times some idiot employee told me something about a return policy and I walked over to a manager, pointed to their policies and asked where it was stated only to be told the employee was wrong.

Try all that, and maybe, just MAYBE, you will get less a-hole customers.

worthreading
01-08-11, 10:41 PM
lol.. wow. That was amusing.
Darthvong
van der graaf
Please don't place me in a box with bad experience you've had..

Troy Stiffler
01-08-11, 11:16 PM
Stop trying to convince people they need to buy $100 Monster cables when a $2.99 one will do just fine.

Yea. This happened to me once. I flipped out and told him that I'm going to face fuck his children if he didn't leave me alone. We need to be civil, after all.

I used to shop at Best Buy when I was younger. Now, I ignore it just like I ignore any other junk superstore (Wal-Mart, etc.). I work hard enough to make lots of money and be an elitist snob - and bothersome places like Best Buy are useless to me. P'shaw.

DarthVong
01-08-11, 11:22 PM
lol.. wow. That was amusing.
Darthvong
van der graaf
Please don't place me in a box with bad experience you've had..

bad experience? Who said I had a bad experience. You wanted to put Anyone who works in retail in a box and I simply stated you should not and gave reason to support it.

On second thought. Stay in retail. You're perfect for it. :rolleyes:

Troy Stiffler
01-09-11, 12:02 AM
I'm not putting down customers, I'm a customer too. But rude and beligerant customers need to rethink their attitudes, and not treat people poorly for doing their jobs. Dont point fingers at me for saying it like it is. Again, this isn't about me. This is supposed to be about a manager abusing their rights.

I can put it like this... People who shop at Best Buy deserve to be treated like they're shopping at Best Buy. It's not exactly a high end shopping experience.

If you want a good shopping experience, go online and buy from the manufacturer (or authorized dealer). If you want a DVD or video game, go to your local music/movie store or Game Crazy or whatever. Best Buy sells movies ... and laundry machines. What sort of expertise or personable service does one really think they're going to encounter?

I'll never understand why people get so infuriated with Best Buy (or any similar shopping experience) but keep going back. There is anti-Best Buy internet rage out there. There's sooo many options. Why go back? I stopped going to a local gas station because there's a window-repair shop there, and the guys would bother me about my chipped window EVERY FUCKING TIME I returned. So I just won't go there anymore.

foxdvd
01-09-11, 02:24 AM
Read what I did post, again.. S L O W L Y this time.

maybe if you were to...oh I don't know....type more S L O W L Y next time we could understand what you are saying

Chrisedge
01-09-11, 12:03 PM

I worked 25+ years in retail. People like you should not be in retail...I hear from folks like you everyday on my BB site. Suck it up and EXPECT assholes to show up at your store. You can be bigger than them just by being nice.

BKenn01
01-16-11, 10:00 PM
The insurance company will pay Best Buy in full for this item. Being it was taken by someone one that worked for them. Its covered. Does not matter if they got it back or not. The insurance company will own the items. If Best Buy does sell them then they (Best Buy) cannot add it a a claim or make a claim.

The person that put her in that job really did not do anything wrong. Just bad judgment. Given that depends on who is boss is or the higher up boss is. Speaking from my end. If this happens to many times. I have been known to move someone down.

I highly doubt that BB will get anything via insurance for this. Unless they are different than most chains it will be a loss due to shrink. It is a myth that there is insurance that covers most losses. It would be cost prohibitive to have insurance for this.

Tarantino
01-17-11, 01:43 AM
Yes, it would be a shrink loss.

Abob Teff
01-19-11, 01:10 AM
With a little bit of make-up she could be not guilty.

wildman1037
01-21-11, 04:23 PM
With a brown paper bag she could be not guilty.

Fixed

magnusweb7
01-22-11, 10:53 PM
I would love to see the surveillance video