Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My local Best Buy store manager arrested for theft!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how many of you remember me complaining about the awful store in Anderson, SC, most recently over the entire Anchorman BD debacle where employees were rude and pretty much called me a liar, then when I went to the store manager mentioned in this story she was the rudest most unprofessional manager I have ever encountered.

This thief had only been the manager for a few months. The moron that hired her should go to jail with her for hiring her in the first place.

However, with this news, I now feel vindicated for feeling so negative about this store:

http://www.independentmail.com/news/...heft-incident/

ANDERSON COUNTY — The general manager of Best Buy has admitted to stealing four Apple iPads from the Clemson Boulevard store, according to a police report released Saturday.

Carol Perez, 39, of 107 George B. Timmerman Drive in Anderson, said she took the iPads on Dec. 14 because “she was having a hard time at Christmas,” the police report states.

Perez was arrested by the Anderson County Sheriff’s Office at Best Buy on Wednesday afternoon. She is charged with breach of trust. Perez was released Thursday from the county detention center on a $10,000 bond, a jail spokesman said.

After Perez was confronted by a deputy before her arrest, the manager’s husband returned the missing the tablet computers, which were valued at $2,316, the police report states. But since the iPads had been used, Best Buy will not be able to sell the devices, the report states.

A videotape that shows Perez taking the iPads out of a secured cage was turned over to sheriff’s officials by Raven Phillips, the area asset protection manager for Best Buy.
Old 01-02-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: My local Best Buy store manager arrested for theft!

bullshit on them not being able to sell the devices. they can't sell them for full retail, but no doubt mark them down $50 off the MSRP and they will sell.
Old 01-02-11, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha that's pretty amazing I am just going to assume that the manager at my Best Buy that gave me crap with Anchorman is also a thief. If only for my own satisfaction.
Old 01-02-11, 03:10 PM

Best Buy will not do anything other then what they have done. They got their money back, and the items where pay for in full. It's part of doing business. The sad part is what she said. Why take it? I mean really she could have mark them down to a joking low low price. Had her husband buy them and all would have been good. Till count the stock day. Then she could have blame one of the seasonal workers for it.

The person that put in that job will look at each person next in line a little bit harder.
Old 01-02-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guilty unless she has a smokin' body.
Old 01-02-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

10000$ bond? after stealing only 2300 worth of stuff. Seems a little excessive.. I wonder if she had priors or whatnot.
Old 01-02-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If she was the manager, how could she not know about the camera?
Old 01-02-11, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
10000$ bond? after stealing only 2300 worth of stuff. Seems a little excessive.. I wonder if she had priors or whatnot.
Bond is designed to make sure you return to court - it isn't necessarily tied to the magnitude of your crime. A $10k bond seems about right in her case. She just needs to pony up the $1,000 premium to be released pending trial.
Old 01-02-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by arminius
If she was the manager, how could she not know about the camera?
This. I've managed a few retailers and we always knew where the cameras were. She's not that smart obviously.
Old 01-02-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by drq2
I mean really she could have mark them down to a joking low low price. Had her husband buy them and all would have been good. Till count the stock day. Then she could have blame one of the seasonal workers for it.
Sounds like someone has given this a great deal of thought.
Old 01-02-11, 09:12 PM

Don't general managers make AT LEAST $60K a year, if not quite a bit more? Kind of ridiculous for her to steal $2K worth of stuff if she was making well more than that.
Old 01-03-11, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
She is charged with breach of trust.
Huh?
Old 01-03-11, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
Don't general managers make AT LEAST $60K a year, if not quite a bit more? Kind of ridiculous for her to steal $2K worth of stuff if she was making well more than that.
Depends what her other expenses are. I make well over that, and I don't have money for 4 iPads.
Old 01-03-11, 07:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
Old 01-03-11, 09:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

$60k a year? I'm surprised she had time to come up with this scheme. You'd think she'd be too busy swimming through her giant money vault.
Old 01-03-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 01-03-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
bullshit on them not being able to sell the devices. they can't sell them for full retail, but no doubt mark them down $50 off the MSRP and they will sell.
Best Buy cannot sell open iPads. Part of our agreement with Apple.
Old 01-03-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by drq2
Best Buy will not do anything other then what they have done. They got their money back, and the items where pay for in full. It's part of doing business. The sad part is what she said. Why take it? I mean really she could have mark them down to a joking low low price. Had her husband buy them and all would have been good. Till count the stock day. Then she could have blame one of the seasonal workers for it.

The person that put in that job will look at each person next in line a little bit harder.

Not sure what most of that means especially the bolded part.
Anyway, she deserved to get caught just for being dumb.
Old 01-03-11, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
Not sure what most of that means especially the bolded part.
Anyway, she deserved to get caught just for being dumb.
The insurance company will pay Best Buy in full for this item. Being it was taken by someone one that worked for them. Its covered. Does not matter if they got it back or not. The insurance company will own the items. If Best Buy does sell them then they (Best Buy) cannot add it a a claim or make a claim.

The person that put her in that job really did not do anything wrong. Just bad judgment. Given that depends on who is boss is or the higher up boss is. Speaking from my end. If this happens to many times. I have been known to move someone down.
Old 01-03-11, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Depends what her other expenses are. I make well over that, and I don't have money for 4 iPads.
Greed!
Old 01-07-11, 06:31 PM

Best Buy General Managers' pay starts high 70's, low 80's... Her husband makes over 100k a year... She wears name brand everything, and bought her son (who doesn't even have a permit) a jeep less than a week prior to Christmas. Hard time at Christmas... my butt.
Apple has contracts with all retailers that iPads cannot be marked down, sold used, or sold for less that full retail.
There is no insurance for loss. It is company shrink, returned or not. There is no insurance reimbursement.
The Cameras, everyone knows where they are, and it is not unusual for managers to use their keys to remove product from the cages with said keys. Only managers have these keys. There is more to the story that you do not know for the video to matter. ie who she said something about missing iPads to, the number removed vs. daily sales... etc. something not mentioned. As I previously stated, a manager HAS to remove product from the cages for them to be sold.
As for marking them down for her husband to purchase.. As I said.. ANY retailer of Apple products signs contracts stating products will not be marked down, sold used, etc.
Any more questions?
Old 01-07-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that was worth reading.
Old 01-07-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by worthreading
Best Buy General Managers' pay starts high 70's, low 80's... Her husband makes over 100k a year... She wears name brand everything, and bought her son (who doesn't even have a permit) a jeep less than a week prior to Christmas. Hard time at Christmas... my butt.
Apple has contracts with all retailers that iPads cannot be marked down, sold used, or sold for less that full retail.
There is no insurance for loss. It is company shrink, returned or not. There is no insurance reimbursement.
The Cameras, everyone knows where they are, and it is not unusual for managers to use their keys to remove product from the cages with said keys. Only managers have these keys. There is more to the story that you do not know for the video to matter. ie who she said something about missing iPads to, the number removed vs. daily sales... etc. something not mentioned. As I previously stated, a manager HAS to remove product from the cages for them to be sold.
As for marking them down for her husband to purchase.. As I said.. ANY retailer of Apple products signs contracts stating products will not be marked down, sold used, etc.
Any more questions?
Well, it looks like we have yet another infamous case of "someone Googles a relative after they are busted for something and finds people talking about them on DVDTalk". What is most amusing to me is that this isn't actually their first post. They previously posted the following, once without quoting me and then deleting it only to repost it while quoting my OP (and then deleting it again before posting the above):

Originally Posted by worthreading
Most people that have this kind of problem with a retailer, are those losers that want something for nothing, and get pissed off because they talk to someone that won't give it to them because the people in retail don't hunker down and give in to customers coming in cussing out employees and acting rude about breathing anymore. I'm sure it was an ad issue, you had an old ad, or you came in on Saturday, when the ads change on Sunday, wanting a 30 movie that was on sale for 5. Typical Black Friday customer looking for that 99 dollar computer at 3 in the afternoon, and yelling because there are none left. Wow....I'm sure your business is appreciated... at Dollar General.
Old 01-07-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have that too Brent in my email notices.
Old 01-07-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just found it amusing. I love these instant email notifications.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.