Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Reward Zone "Annualization"

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-31-10, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Don't forget, on Jan. 1 if you're not a silver member you're about to lose whatever points you have earned.
Old 01-01-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Best Buy Reward Zone "Annualization"

I'm not a Silver member and my 246 points are still there as of right now. Hopefully they won't be going anywhere soon.
Old 01-01-11, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure our points will be there at least through the end of January, if not February. They've gotta give the points accumulated through 12/31 to hit the account. I've got enough for a $25 cert pending still.
Old 01-01-11, 09:50 PM

I just added up my pending points and it comes out to about 245 points. I'll have to give them a call if they drop off all those points because I am 5 short.
Old 01-02-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Hoping that BB will give until at least the end of January.

I won't get my $5 Cert until 1/20.
Old 01-03-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

I have 240 with aout $12.99 pending for another 18 days.
Old 01-03-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have enough pending to bump me up to over $2500 for last year, aka become a Reward Zone Silver member. Does anybody know how that will be handled, since they've cleared my balance for last year?
Old 01-03-11, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kory
I have enough pending to bump me up to over $2500 for last year, aka become a Reward Zone Silver member. Does anybody know how that will be handled, since they've cleared my balance for last year?
I'm in the same spot, was hoping to find an answer here, please post back if you do
Old 01-03-11, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have $314 or so in purchases pending and some of them won't clear until first week or so of February. They have to let all those purchases clear or I will be calling them to let them know I deserve those points.
Old 01-03-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

If you call, they might give it to you, but if this is the way they do it, then probably some of the money you were already including your total was money you spent in December of 2009, and if that's the case, you might be out of luck.
Old 01-03-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Last year, I had pending purchases from Dec 2009. Then when they cleared in Jan 2010, I called. And after much calculating from the operator, she transferred me to the Premier line and they set me up to start Premier Silver in Feb 2010. I am in same boat this year... and btw.. this is different than what they state in the rules (you are supposed to become Silver in the month you make the purchase or when purchase clears + the following year until Feb of the year following that) so I kinda lost a couple months of Silver benefits.. I already called and the operator told me that once the purchases clear the year will change to 2012.... yeah, I know.. I will probly have to call... and so might you...
Old 01-04-11, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have until 1/8.
Old 01-04-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

i cleared premiere silver in december, but then lowered prices on several items got me back into the negative points range since i already got certificates for those purchases. luckily i bought enough right after to christmas to cover the negative balance to ensure i'm silver for next year.
Old 01-04-11, 10:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have never received a single "reward zone" coupon ever.. no 10% off, no nothing. I don't know how many points we have.. but I don't really care. I shop at best buy a few times a year.. no incentive to go there unless something is exclusive and I really want it.
Old 01-17-11, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kory
To provide an update to this, my big purchase that bumped me over $2,500 cleared today, and the Reward Zone Program automatically updated my status to Silver. Glad that was painless.
Old 01-20-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm Silver, though I'll lose it this year since I rarely shop in BB.
Old 02-06-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Say bye bye. I 'forfeited' points yesterday due to this 'annualization'. Luckily it was only 14 points, and I'm still ahead because they gave me 750 points during that 'we like some customers' snafu, but it's still a screw-you type policy. I can see absolutely no reason for their doing this except that they can and it jacks up their profit margin.

Ok, I only have 14 points to lose, lets see if I get a decent response, if they change things, if I get my points back or if I kicked out of the RZ.
Just sent them this:

"Hello,
I see that I lost 14 RZ points due to "Annual Program Annualization" on 2/5. My question is - what is the purpose or reasoning behind this policy? Since this data is all computerized, there's absolutely no technical reason for it. Eradicating all points once every calendar year seems a very arbitrary and non-customer-oriented policy. If you're trying to clear the books of inactive members, which I can understand, an annualization after 12 or even 6 months of inactivity is more logical and fair. Is there an actual reason for this policy? The only reason I can see is because you can, and to drive up profit margins. Between having to print your own RZ certs in the name of the "environment", and policies like this, the RZ program has been worse and worse for the customer and does not truly provide a value-add to entice the customer to shop at Best Buy.
I understand that some policies are put in place to optimize the company's bottom line, but I've encountered very few retailer policies that are as directly anti-consumer as this one.
I look forward to your response."

Last edited by tonyc3742; 02-06-11 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-06-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Looking forward to hearing the reply to that email.... a good place to drop that is in this new thread.

Best Buy Reward Zone Topics Including Premier Silver
Old 02-06-11, 10:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I lost 182 points and I earned those points in December. So they take them away less than two months later? That's dumb.
Old 02-06-11, 10:18 AM
Cool New Member

Yeah, I just looked on my reward zone and saw I just lost 125 reward points. I'm not a happy customer right now and I might just send them an e-mail myself.
Old 02-06-11, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't know you lost them every year. I have 450 right now but I pretty much never shop there. I'm pretty sure they've been there for more than year.
Old 02-07-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcarson
"Hello,
I see that I lost 14 RZ points due to "Annual Program Annualization" on 2/5. My question is - what is the purpose or reasoning behind this policy?
It's so they don't have to pay out for purchases under $250 carried over from the Black Friday-Christmas holiday season.

It's frankly pretty chickenshit if you ask me... the Reward Zone offers what amounts to a discount of 2%, and they're doing everything they can to not give it to you.

Actually, when you think about it, the whole program is designed in a way that prevents people using the meager discounts. What's the point in printing out the certificates yourself? They could just as easily track that shit through your reward zone account and give you the fucking $5 off when they scan your card. It's just an extra step/hassle that they include hoping people won't use it.
Old 02-08-11, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's frankly pretty chickenshit if you ask me... the Reward Zone offers what amounts to a discount of 2%, and they're doing everything they can to not give it to you.
Exactly.

The Reward Zone program is one of the only things going for Best Buy. Prices can be beat on most items online with cheep or free shipping, the stores are a real treat (organization, layout, can't find anything I'm looking for), and SOME of the employees are asshats.
Old 02-09-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I sent an email yesterday regarding my deleted points and got a reply today that they have added them back to my account.
Old 02-10-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I lost 235 points this time around, but I just shot them an e mail and expect them to be credited back to my account shortly. This is still a dumb policy, but I'm sure there are a ton of people out there that don't even realize they lost points.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.