Spielberg-produced alien invasion series "Falling Skies" Trailer

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-28-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Series this summer on TNT
<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/39eegoYnH9s?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/39eegoYnH9s?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>
Old 12-28-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Spielberg-produced alien invasion series "Falling Skies" Trailer

why is it that almost every advanced alien species ever portrayed in movies and tv looks like it belongs in a zoo? star trek and a few others got it right

to build advanced technology you need language and have limbs that can manipulate the world around you
Old 12-28-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Noah Wylie, Moon Bloonglood, Will Patton and even Captain Dale Dye.

Cool, I'll definitely be tuning in next summer.

Looks like TNT spent alot of cash on this one.
Old 12-28-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy
why is it that almost every advanced alien species ever portrayed in movies and tv looks like it belongs in a zoo? star trek and a few others got it right

to build advanced technology you need language and have limbs that can manipulate the world around you
Really? You know what the word "alien" means, right?

And from the trailer...it seems they have limbs. One could argue that humans would be better off with two more arms or 14 fingers. Seems silly to get hung up on details like that.

This looks pretty good to me. Has a definite "TNT" feel, which I can't describe further than that...just struck me that way. But I'll check it out.
Old 12-28-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Yeah, it takes major suspension of disbelief to imagine those things creating the techmology to travel across the galaxy/universe. I love alien invasion stuff, but this show looks pretty shitty from that trailer.
Old 12-28-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is making a lot of assumptions based on a tiny bit of footage.

Considering the amount of variety on life on Earth, it would be extremely implausible that aliens would look anything like us (human with pointy ears) or even like any animal we got on this planet.

Star Trek got almost everything wrong that can get wrong. Babylon 5 got less wrong since they tried to account for things like not all creatures had the same atmosphere requirements, but still mostly implausible.

I'm actually having trouble thinking of a sci-fi TV show actually that might be realistic-ish. Anyone toss up a good example?
Old 12-28-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

a lot of things wrong with star trek but if you look at humans first using rocks as tools and going forward you can extrapolate the same thing to an alien society. you need a way to manipulate simple tools to start building technology.

and you need language and writing to pass on knowledge from one generation to another in order to build on past discoveries

the rules of physics are the same everywhere in the universe. to build tech aliens will have to master electricity, magnetism and other basic technologies
Old 12-28-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

a lot of things wrong with star trek but if you look at humans first using rocks as tools and going forward you can extrapolate the same thing to an alien society. you need a way to manipulate simple tools to start building technology.

and you need language and writing to pass on knowledge from one generation to another in order to build on past discoveries

the rules of physics are the same everywhere in the universe. to build tech aliens will have to master electricity, magnetism and other basic technologies
Or they just ate the race that did and are basically pirates using the technology. Or they are the attack dogs shot off into space to hit our planet and the real brains of the attack will just mop up afterward. Or what we saw were the aliens that had their genetics modified to be more bad-assy.
Maybe the males and females are different and the females were the smaller and smarter techies while the guys just ate people. Maybe they had some sort of parallel evolution where their version of Neanderthals didn't die out and were used as brute force by the race that developed technology first.

We don't know from that tiny clip. Maybe the show sucks and we get a V rip-off... but it looks more like a District 9 pitch if you spun it with they had 20 more ships that wanted to mush our planet. I'll give it a try after seeing the names involved.
Old 12-29-10, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Considering the amount of variety on life on Earth, it would be extremely implausible that aliens would look anything like us (human with pointy ears) or even like any animal we got on this planet.

Star Trek got almost everything wrong that can get wrong. Babylon 5 got less wrong since they tried to account for things like not all creatures had the same atmosphere requirements, but still mostly implausible.
[Trek Nerd] Actually, the "Star Trek: Next Gen" episode "The Chase" explained why many lifeforms in the galaxy are similar.[/Trek Nerd]
Old 12-29-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
[Trek Nerd] Actually, the "Star Trek: Next Gen" episode "The Chase" explained why many lifeforms in the galaxy are similar.[/Trek Nerd]
Yeah, I sorta took that as revisionist history. The original series operated under just a costume design mandate to save money and help facial expressions of actors that had nothing to do with the plan later told in The Chase.

<--- Also a Trek nerd... hell, even played the awful MMO for 6 months
Old 12-30-10, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
And that explanation is?
Old 12-30-10, 02:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cha...ext_Generation)
Old 12-30-10, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gave this a look see yesterday and will look forward to giving this a shot in the summer.
Old 12-30-10, 09:53 AM
Banned

the rules of physics are the same everywhere in the universe.
That might be the most ludicrous thing I've ever read on the internet.

It's (at best) an assumption (and impossible to prove).

As for the clip....I thought the effects looked wonderful, but the story looked quite pedestrian to me. Then again, an alien story or saga has to be pretty compelling for me to dig it, or should (at least) have aliens that are so damned cool you simply cannot deny them your admiration (i.e., Alien/Aliens, Predator, etc.).
Old 12-30-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Proof?
Old 12-30-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

it looks cheesy, but it's on during the doldrums of summer TV, so I will watch. plus, i'm a sucker for sci-fi/alien stuff, so it's got that going for it.
Old 12-30-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How can you say that when we don't know all the rules of physics.
Old 12-30-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
it looks cheesy, but it's on during the doldrums of summer TV, so I will watch. plus, i'm a sucker for sci-fi/alien stuff, so it's got that going for it.
The main networks do suck during the summer. But TNT, USA, AMC and a few other cable networks make up for the lack of quality stuff during the summer. I think this is going to do well in the summer, especially with the lack of competition and Spielberg's name attached to it. And I just read the the show was created by Spielberg and Robert Rodat, who wrote Saving Private Ryan.
Old 12-30-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Yeah, I sorta took that as revisionist history. The original series operated under just a costume design mandate to save money and help facial expressions of actors that had nothing to do with the plan later told in The Chase.
The Preservers were mentioned in TOS ("Paradise Syndrome", "Return to Tomorrow") and were believed to have done the same thing as the race in "The Chase" (seeding).....may of even been the same race. So maybe it's not that "revisionist" after all.
Old 12-30-10, 04:08 PM

I wonder if the humans will defeat the aliens with walkie talkies?
Old 12-30-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chew
The Preservers were mentioned in TOS ("Paradise Syndrome", "Return to Tomorrow") and were believed to have done the same thing as the race in "The Chase" (seeding).....may of even been the same race. So maybe it's not that "revisionist" after all.
Seeds planted and using past existing characters to explain a common gripe are two different things. One is intent at the start, the other good writing after the fact.

I may be wrong here, so I'd love to see a source cited that the original intent of that species was to explain the humanoid-seeding idea, but everything put in print on the subject from production notes, creator/writer/actor interviews and the oodles of insider books on the series all indicate that costume, budget, actor ease were the reason aliens all looked the same.

It's a lot like all the theories behind why the Klingons look different between movies and the shows (really budget!) but everything from those were hybrids, surgically altered, or human sympathizers have been offered as explanations (and many people will read into things to prove each version is correct). The show wisely went on record with Worf speaking for the entire Star Trek production universe when he said "We do not discuss it with outsiders."
Old 12-30-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, of course the "real" reason for humanoids throughout original Trek was due to budget constraints, I don't disagree with that.

But, they did specifically address it with the Preservers and here's the relevant lines from "Paradise":

SPOCK: Yes. The obelisk is a marker, just as I thought. It was left by a super-race known as the Preservers. They passed through the galaxy rescuing primitive cultures which were in danger of extinction and seeding them, so to speak, where they could live and grow.

MCCOY: I've always wondered why there were so many humanoids scattered through the galaxy.

SPOCK: So have I. Apparently the Preservers account for a number of them.
Old 05-15-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just saw the trailer on TNT, start date is June 19th on Sunday at 9pm. I think that might conflict with GoT though.

Chew
Old 05-15-11, 12:48 PM

Just read where TNT is already almost ready to order the second season ofthis one.
Falling Skies
(TNT, Sundays at 10p starting June 19 at 9p)

Take the post-apocalyptic landscape of The Walking Dead and combine it with the evil alien invaders of V and you have Falling Skies, TNT’s new sci-fi series. Six months after militaristic aliens have arrived on Earth and wiped out most of the population, history professor Noah Wyle leads a group of survivors in resistance. Steven Spielberg is an executive producer, while writers on the effects-heavy show include Graham Yost (Justified) and series creator Robert Rodat (Saving Private Ryan). The network is reportedly so high on the series that they are close to renewing it for a second season; in fact, they have just hired Caprica co-creator Remi Aubuchon to run the show if it comes back for another year.
http://features.metacritic.com/featu...-preview-2011/
Old 06-14-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Bump...
Premieres this Sunday. I probably would have missed this if I hadn't caught Noah Wyle on Conan last night.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.