Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Top 5 US Comedies on TV currently ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 03:03 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Top 5 US Comedies on TV currently ?

I'm really posting this thread to find good comedies i may have missed. so by currently i don't mean on at the moment on this week, i mean still active, not cancelled and shown in 2010

E.g. i've heard the League is good but haven't watched that

My top 5 (US shows only) includes

It's always sunny
two and a half men
blue mountain state
Modern Family
Rules of Engagement
Old 12-28-10, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
Re: Top 5 US Comedies on TV currently ?

based on your list I will recommend ARCHER --new season starts in a couple week on FX
Old 12-28-10, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Modern Family
Raising Hope
Psych
The League
It's Always Sunny

(sadly, I can't include The Good Guys)
Old 12-28-10, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top 5

It's Always Sunny
Californication
Entourage
Modern Family
Eastbound & Down

CLOSE

The Office/How I Met Your Mother
Old 12-28-10, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

These shows are the only ones that I'm watching (in no particular order):
- Modern Family
- Community
- How I Met Your Mother
- The Big Bang Theory
Old 12-28-10, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the most recent season of the show, I'd say the top five comedies that are currently on TV are...

01.) Parks And Recreation

Even though Parks And Recreation's third season hasn't premiered yet, the second season was hands down the funniest show last year and that's why I put it at number one. The new season premieres in January and based on the first three minutes included on the Second Season DVD I have no doubts that the show will be just as funny, if not funnier.

02.) The League

After what was a solid first season, this show came out of nowhere with a truly hilarious second season. Consistently funny and pushing the boundaries, it easily made up for a disappointing season of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. There were only a few missteps in the season, but nothing major.

03.) Raising Hope

A sort of cross between Malcolm In The Middle and My Name Is Earl, but with truly unique characters and nothing feeling like a retelling of those shows. Definitely my favorite new comedy and if you had asked this question after the end of the television season, I'd probably put Raising Hope ahead of The League, but as it stands now I'll give it to The League since Raising Hope hasn't finished its season yet.

04.) Futurama

Can't believe I left this off initially. After some good to average movies, the new season proved why Futurama is one of the best comedies on television. The 30 minute format is where the show belongs and there were tons of classic episodes this season, with just the right mixture of humor and heart.

05.) Community

After an incredible first season, Community is maintaining its stride in the second season. It's a shame this show isn't more popular, but hopefully it'll get picked up for a third season.

Honorable Mentions

How I Met Your Mother: After a pretty disappointing fifth season, How I Met Your Mother has returned to form in its sixth season. If you remember the thread about the worst dip in quality from one season to another, this is the complete opposite.

The Office: After a pretty mediocre sixth season, The Office has really stepped up the quality in its seventh season. Not the funniest show on television right now, but still consistently funny.

Modern Family: A great show that always delivers consistent laughs with a nice amount of heart. I don't think it's technically good or creative as my top five, but it's always enjoyable.

The Good Guys: One of the true gems of this television season. Always funny and packed with over-the-top action. It's canceled though and isn't coming back, so it only gets an honorable mention.

Worst Dip in Quality

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Easily one of the funniest shows on television, but this season wasn't up to par with previous seasons and the five shows I listed were all consistently funnier. There were only a few really good episodes this season, and that was toward the end. Everything else was good, but not great.

---

As a side note, not a true comedy, but Terriers deserves mention. It was easily my favorite new show of the season and it's a true shame it got canceled. If you haven't already checked it out, do yourself a favor and watch it when it hits DVD or Blu-ray.

Last edited by kstublen; 12-29-10 at 04:24 AM.
Old 12-28-10, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. Community
2. Modern Family
3. Raising Hope
-----------------
4. Big Bang Theory
5. How I Met Your Mother

1, 2 and 3 on my list are relatively young, but have been consistently funny through their short existence.

4 and 5 are both a little older and have had a few rough patches, or have fallen into ruts but are still pretty darn funny.
Old 12-28-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
Worst Dip in Quality

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Easily one of the funniest shows on television, but this season wasn't up to par with previous seasons and the five shows I listed were all consistently funnier. There were only a few really good episodes this season, and that was toward the end. Everything else was good, but not great.
I thought it was only me who finds the current season a little lackluster. The Christmas episode (which was actually from the last season) displayed the difference in quality quite well. But an average It's Alway Sunny season is still better than most other comedies on TV.
Old 12-28-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

The League
Modern Family
Californication
Sunny
Archer
Old 12-28-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Modern Family
The League
Raising Hope
Community
Cougar Town

Always Sunny really failed me this season and last season of HIMYM was so bad that I've hardly made an effort to catch anything this season. Community has always been pretty good, but they have definitely found their footing this season! The League is just an awesomely underrated show. The Middle is pretty great but was easily trumped off the list by Cougar Town which is consistently laugh-out-loud funny.
Old 12-28-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rfduncan
last season of HIMYM was so bad that I've hardly made an effort to catch anything this season.
Last season was definitely a low point for the series, but this season is really great. They've got the story back on track and the writing is a lot sharper and funnier. If you've stuck the show out for five seasons, definitely don't give up on it just yet.
Old 12-28-10, 09:11 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gotta check out Community
Old 12-28-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you like Rules of Engagement, which would be #6 on my list, maybe you would also like the other Monday night CBS sitcoms like How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, and Mike & Molly. I watch TaaHM in syndication once in a while, but have never seen M&M.

My 4, INPO
How I Met Your Mother
The Big Bang Theory
30 Rock
Psych
Modern Family
Old 12-28-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

This is based on their most recent/currently airing seasons - for me:
The League - Compensated for the lackluster Sunny season
Modern Family - Most consistantly funny show on TV, even if it's a little too clean at times
Community - Most original show on TV, Spaced's spiritual successor in many ways
30 Rock - Great rebound season from last year
Psych - Very silly show still but this season has been very enjoyable.

Honorable Mentions:
Eastbound and Down, Bored to Death (Much better than season 1), Archer, How I Met Your Mother

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia would normally be on that list but this season was terrible -- there were a few glimpses of what made the show great every here and there but overall it was a really lousy season. I initially liked Raising Hope but found my interesting waning pretty quickly. Find the Chuck Lorre comedies to be largely unwatchable (2.5 Men, Big Bang, Mike and Molly).

Last edited by RichC2; 12-28-10 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-28-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

1- Modern Family
2- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
3- 30 Rock
4- Parks and Rec
5- South Park
Old 12-28-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Modern Family
Community
The Office
30 Rock
Parks and Recreation
Old 12-28-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

30 Rock
The Office
How I Met Your Mother
Modern Family
The Big Bang Theory
Old 12-28-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1. Community
2. 30 Rock
Old 12-28-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The Big Bang Theory is my favorite comedy on TV right now.
Old 12-28-10, 11:17 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

The League
Modern Family
Cougar Town
Archer
30 Rock
Old 12-28-10, 11:30 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

1. 30 Rock
2. The League
3. Parks & Rec

all I can really say is worth watching for me.

It's Always Sunny would have been on the list last year, but this latest season has sucked major ass.
Old 12-28-10, 11:31 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose; [u
My 4, INPO[/u]
How I Met Your Mother
The Big Bang Theory
30 Rock
Psych
Modern Family
that's 5
Old 12-28-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
These shows are the only ones that I'm watching (in no particular order):
- Modern Family
- Community
- How I Met Your Mother
- The Big Bang Theory

Although I catch Psych, Entourage and Community on DVD. So technically only 3 comedies I watch week-to-week. I've dabbled in Sunny in PA and 30 Rock but neither have flat out "grabbed" me yet. Gave up on the Office this year due to DVR conflicts.
Old 12-28-10, 03:44 PM

Not enough people saying Cougar Town in here yet. I just don't get why people aren't watching this hilarious show (the lame title cannot be used as an excuse anymore).

I don't even watch many comedies or sitcoms, never really have as comedy isn't my thing (like dramas more), but Cougar Town consistently brings the funny. I find myself laughing out loud at least 10 times per episode and then wanting to rewatch it all over again and then talk about it with people but find that nobody watches it.

For some kind of context though, I do also watch The Office and Modern Family. Cougar Town is far and away funnier and more fun than both.
Old 12-28-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Davie50
Not enough people saying Cougar Town in here yet. I just don't get why people aren't watching this hilarious show (the lame title cannot be used as an excuse anymore).

I don't even watch many comedies or sitcoms, never really have as comedy isn't my thing (like dramas more), but Cougar Town consistently brings the funny. I find myself laughing out loud at least 10 times per episode and then wanting to rewatch it all over again and then talk about it with people but find that nobody watches it.

For some kind of context though, I do also watch The Office and Modern Family. Cougar Town is far and away funnier and more fun than both.
I've watched Cougar Town from time-to-time and while I do find it funny, I don't think it's the funniest show on television. Perhaps if I watched it more consistently I'd appreciate it a little bit more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.