DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Bands where all members have solo careers

Numanoid
12-25-10, 11:17 PM
As I was watching my new a-ha DVD today, I realized that all of the members of this group have successful solo careers (though, like a-ha, are not well-known in the U.S.)

So I got to thinking...what other groups are there in music history that every member had another career alongside/after and outside of the original group? The Beatles is obvious, but what others can we think of? And yes, ALL members count, so groups like Fleetwood Mac or the Rolling Stones would be ineligible.

Rocketdog2000
12-25-10, 11:19 PM
As I was watching my new a-ha DVD today, I realized that all of the members of this group have successful solo careers (though, like a-ha, are not well-known in the U.S.)

So I got to thinking...what other groups are there in music history that every member had another career alongside/after and outside of the original group? The Beatles is obvious, but what others can we think of? And yes, ALL members count, so groups like Fleetwood Mac or the Rolling Stones would be ineligible.

KISS
The Eagles
The Police
The Monkees

...maybe Pink Floyd?

Mhepburn20
12-25-10, 11:48 PM
Wait? Why is Fleetwood Mac ineligible? From the primary era of the band - every member HAS had a solo career.

Stevie Nicks (6 studio albums, 2 greatest hits, 1 box set and 1 live CD)
Lindsey Buckingham (5 studio albums, 1 live cd/dvd combo)
Christine McVie (3 studio albums)
Mick Fleetwood (5 albums counting the most recent Mick Fleetwood Band)
John McVie (1 studio album - since I suspect this is the one few know about here's the evidence... http://www.amazon.com/Gotta-Band-John-Mc-Vie/dp/B000008IBZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293342235&sr=8-1 )

Even if we stretch beyond the primary years - Bob Welch, Dave Mason, Bekka Bramlet, Billy Burnett, Rick Vito, Peter Green and Danny Kirwan have ALL had solo or new band cd's that occurred before/alongside their fleetwood mac tenure.

nodeerforamonth
12-25-10, 11:56 PM
KISS was the first one that came to my mind.

The Cow
12-26-10, 12:17 AM
Cream

Drexl
12-26-10, 12:37 AM
Sting, Andy Summers, and Stewart Copeland of The Police have each released solo albums. Copeland has also composed scores for film, TV, etc.

Supermallet
12-26-10, 12:37 AM
Wham!

Heat
12-26-10, 02:32 AM
Beatles
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young
Traveling Wilburies
Damn Yankees

TGM
12-26-10, 04:42 AM
NiN

mickey65
12-26-10, 07:28 AM
Led Zeppelin (after John Bonham died)

Michael Corvin
12-26-10, 08:51 AM
All the members of Dream Theater keep pretty active between DT albums.

nodeerforamonth
12-26-10, 10:58 AM
I think many people here are missing the definition of "solo careers".

Drexl
12-26-10, 11:42 AM
I think many people here are missing the definition of "solo careers".

Yeah, with some guys it's just one or two albums, and not a sustained "career." For example, I wouldn't say that Keith Richards has a solo career because he released two solo albums around 20 years ago. I felt that The Police should count because Copeland's score work is in music, has been ongoing, and is credited only to him.

Mikael79
12-26-10, 12:27 PM
Traveling Wilburies
Jeff Lynne of the Wilburys technically had some solo stuff, but I wouldn't call him a solo artist. He's known for the Wilburys, ELO and his work as a producer.

Numanoid
12-26-10, 12:50 PM
I think many people here are missing the definition of "solo careers".Yeah, I didn't assume that people would think that a single release would constitute a "career", but hey, this is Music Talk where no one ever sticks to the premise of the OP, so it's all good. ;)Jeff Lynne of the Wilburys technically had some solo stuff, but I wouldn't call him a solo artist. He's known for the Wilburys, ELO and his work as a producer.And that's a cheat, since the Wilbury's is a supergroup, made up of people who have had a career BEFORE the group's creation. Kind of using backwards logic on that one.

Supermallet
12-26-10, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I didn't assume that people would think that a single release would constitute a "career", but hey, this is Music Talk where no one ever sticks to the premise of the OP, so it's all good. ;)

What, are you telling me Andrew Ridgeley isn't still living off the residuals from Son of Albert?! ;)

Nick Danger
12-26-10, 01:08 PM
How many rock drummers have gone on to successful solo careers? Ringo Starr, Phil Collins, um . . .

cungar
12-26-10, 01:24 PM
How many rock drummers have gone on to successful solo careers? Ringo Starr, Phil Collins, um . . .

Don Henley

The Cow
12-26-10, 01:28 PM

Dave Grohl (if you consider Foo Fighters to be his band, and I do)

Spiderbite
12-26-10, 02:50 PM
Dave Grohl (if you consider Foo Fighters to be his band, and I do)

I would hope so since he wrote, sang and played every instrument on their debut album.

wendersfan
12-26-10, 03:47 PM
Does Max Weinberg count?

In the same vein, albeit far more intermittent, Charlie Watts has his own big band.

Pizza
12-26-10, 04:27 PM
Depends how nit-picky you want to be with solo careers. Sure, everyone in Kiss has had a solo album but I don't know if any of them really have a solo singing career. Same thing with the Monkees. Nesmith certainly has a string of solo records and even had a hit or two. Jones did a solo album on Bell but it crashed. Certainly, members of past bands have migrated to other bands ala Asia for example.

Personally, my hat's off to anyone who gets a record out. So I'd count it. And, I agree with Mhepburn20 and I'm mystified at the disqualification of Fleetwood Mac? (Not that it really matters)

So, what are the guys from a-ha doing as solo acts?

Hiro11
12-26-10, 05:21 PM
How many rock drummers have gone on to successful solo careers? Ringo Starr, Phil Collins, um . . .Levon Helm.

Poink
12-26-10, 07:15 PM
N.W.A.

Although Dr. Dre hasn't exactly put out a lot of albums, when he does it's big enough to count as a successful career, even without considering his work as a producer.

Rocketdog2000
12-26-10, 08:02 PM
Yeah, with some guys it's just one or two albums, and not a sustained "career." For example, I wouldn't say that Keith Richards has a solo career because he released two solo albums around 20 years ago. I felt that The Police should count because Copeland's score work is in music, has been ongoing, and is credited only to him.

Plus he has been a member of a couple of band projects since he left the police, too. He did the Klark Kent project, and was a member of Oysterhead with Les Claypool (of Primus) and Trey Anastasio (of Phish).

But I disagree about Keith Richards. I don't care how many solo albums you did outside the band, or how long ago. As long as you did one (or more), and especially if you had hits off them, then it should count. For that matter, the Rolling Stones should pretty much be eligible, too, as all those cats have had solo careers outside of the band. The only exception would be Brian Jones, who died before had had the chance to make one.

For that matter, look at the OP's first example of a-Ha. While the individual band members may have all had solo careers, and as he says, successful ones at that - it certainly wasn't in this country. So does that mean it doesn't count, just because they weren't popular in the US? I don't think so.

Oh, and a few more bands that come to mind...

The Who
Genesis
...and I'm pretty sure...
Yes

Numanoid
12-26-10, 08:41 PM
So, what are the guys from a-ha doing as solo acts?Morten Harket has released four solo albums; Magne Furuholmen has done soundtrack work, released two solo albums, and a couple more with other bands; and Paul Waaktar-Savoy has released six albums with his band Savoy.

Numanoid
12-26-10, 08:43 PM
And, I agree with Mhepburn20 and I'm mystified at the disqualification of Fleetwood Mac? (Not that it really matters)Well, I have to admit that until Mhepburn20 literally pointed it out, I wasn't aware of John McVie's solo effort. Still not sure if one forgotten album should count, but sure...go ahead and count Fleetwood Mac as being eligible.

Lemmy
12-27-10, 07:55 AM
Rockpile

Nick Lowe - solo artist
Dave Edmunds - solo artist/producer
Billy Bremner - solo artist/session player (Pretenders + others)
Terry Williams - drummer for Dire Straits (Terry's now retired)

mndtrp
12-27-10, 09:27 PM
Would Wu-Tang count?

Boba Fett
12-28-10, 12:53 AM
Would Wu-Tang count?

I think the jury is still out on Masta Killa having a successful career.

Boba Fett
12-28-10, 12:57 AM
I think "The Highwaymen" is the best example.

Johnny Cash
Waylon Jennings
Willie Nelson
Kris Kristofferson

Westside Connection (Ice Cube, Mack 10, WC) is the best rap example.

dvd-4-life
12-28-10, 04:45 PM
Blind Faith

Numanoid
12-28-10, 04:54 PM
I think "The Highwaymen" is the best example.

Johnny Cash
Waylon Jennings
Willie Nelson
Kris Kristofferson-ohbfrank-

El Talon Del Monstruo
12-28-10, 07:28 PM
Talking Heads
Genesis
Traffic

Supermallet
12-28-10, 07:42 PM
I was thinking Genesis, but have no clue if Anthony Phillips or Ray Wilson have solo careers.

Edit: And apparently they do. There you go.

Boba Fett
12-28-10, 10:01 PM
-ohbfrank-

Oh, I thought we were talking of noteworthy solo careers.

benedict
12-29-10, 06:44 AM

So I got to thinking...what other groups are there in music history that every member had another career alongside/after and outside of the original group? The Beatles is obvious, but what others can we think of? And yes, ALL members count, so groups like Fleetwood Mac or the Rolling Stones would be ineligible.Yeah, I didn't assume that people would think that a single release would constitute a "career", but hey, this is Music Talk where no one ever sticks to the premise of the OP, so it's all good. ;)And that's a cheat, since the Wilbury's is a supergroup, made up of people who have had a career BEFORE the group's creation. Kind of using backwards logic on that one.Black Sabbath<ul><li>Ozzy Osbourne - numerous "solo" albums<li>Tony Iommi - Iommi; The 1996 DEP Session; Fused (+ The Devil You Know although this was less a true solo project)<li>Geezer Butler - Plastic Planet; Black Science; Ohmwork<li>Bill Ward - Along The Way; When The Bough Breaks (+ Beyond Aston, as yet unreleased)</li></ul>For anyone looking beyond the original line-up, subsequent vocalists Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes & Tony Martin have all released material in their own right as well as while in other bands. I believe that Geoff Nicholls, the "unsung" Sabbath keyboard player over a considerable period, as well as his early work in Quartz - and later with other folk - has a solo album "in the can" somewhere.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
12-29-10, 07:55 AM
So is having a solo career the same as being a member of a different band?

benedict
12-29-10, 08:12 AM
Especially given the use of "another career " in the first post, I'd take it that where someone leaves an outft that had some degree of band identity and/or shared ownership, a subsequent band formed/founded/led by the departing member would be deemed a "solo project" i.e. solo from the previous entity. Likewise if a performer who had a definable previous career joined an existing band (e.g. Sammy Hagar joining Van Halen) then that previous work might be regarded as legitimate in this context. In the particular case of Hagar, he also had a subsequent solo career, as well as being involved in "supergroups".

So far as this thread is concerned, though, responsibility for definitions rests with Numanoid as OP.

Michael Corvin
12-29-10, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I didn't assume that people would think that a single release would constitute a "career", but hey, this is Music Talk where no one ever sticks to the premise of the OP, so it's all good. ;)And that's a cheat, since the Wilbury's is a supergroup, made up of people who have had a career BEFORE the group's creation. Kind of using backwards logic on that one.

To be fair, it's a limited topic that wouldn't go far without some expanding of the original post.

Numanoid
12-29-10, 02:03 PM
I just thought of another one...Simon & Garfunkel. :D

johnbook
01-01-11, 01:20 AM

Tommy Lee, oh wait you said successful solo careers, my bad!