Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Shipping --> Costs too much

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Shipping --> Costs too much

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-00, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to order from any of these sites is just not economical in Canada. IIIII just tried that family deal, buy 1 get two free. The total was just under sixty dollars US. That totals almost 30.00 Canadian money. I can buy them cheaper at Costco or Future Shop! The shipping adds 20.00 US to any order. Just too much money.
Old 05-03-00, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even worse in the UK. The DVDs cost about $15 each, but then shipping can be $20 + $5 per item, at least... it's ridiculous. Maybe it's part of the same sinister plot to try and prevent overseas buying that region coding is...

------------------
(insert amusing signature here)
ICQ# 61040969 Me and my DVDs...
Old 05-03-00, 04:20 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim:
Even worse in the UK. The DVDs cost about $15 each, but then shipping can be $20 + $5 per item, at least... it's ridiculous. Maybe it's part of the same sinister plot to try and prevent overseas buying that region coding is...

<HR>

I have to disagree - even buying them from the USA, one at a time, full price with no coupon or discount, still works out cheaper (or at least the same price) as buying from the UK high-streets, not to mention the superior disks and getting them three months earlier!
Combining those with trivia credit etc. makes a far better deal for me, and I'm sure many would agree.

Old 05-03-00, 06:46 PM

nz16,
The deals are out there, you have to look hard. I have bought plenty from US sites.

Brandsforless.com will refund your shipping costs for up to $20.00!!! from Reel.com and some other retailers. Check it out.

As for Canadian sources Chapters.ca is the best. I bought Three Kings for 17.80 shipped with one of the many $10 coupons last week.

[This message has been edited by GerudoKing (edited May 03, 2000).]
Old 05-03-00, 07:27 PM

Ordering DVD's from the US is MUCH MUCH cheaper then buying them in Europe!
I'm into DVD's for about 6 months now.
I never bought anything from region 2, but got the first ones from Reel without a discount.
Discovered DVDtalk after my 4th DVD, which was great.
Then I used all kinds of coupons for Reel, combined with BFL and had an average of $12 for my first 35 DVD's.
Then I began to use things like Freeride, Firstlook (both a waste of time right now imo) and ofcourse the great Jaboom. Combine this with the Visitalk stuff and the best thing of all: Selling locally unreleased DVD's in Europe. Just always buy 2 copies of most of the new DVD's, it's great bait! Recently I sold Stuart Little for $30
All those great deals result in a near zero (could even be below zero, meaning I make a profit) for the last 50 DVD's. Shipping doesn't matter when you pay your complete order with GC's...

[This message has been edited by Salaman (edited May 03, 2000).]
Old 05-03-00, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ah, now I see what the problem is. I spend far too much time just buying DVDs so I can watch them, whereas I should be spending all my free time messing about on Pointclick and then spend weeks waiting for my 3-week backordered shipments from Reel and my missing-in-action rebate cheques. How foolish of me.

------------------
(insert amusing signature here)
ICQ# 61040969 Me and my DVDs...
Old 05-03-00, 10:36 PM

Pointclick SUCKs now.
I'm waiting for my last $50 reimbursement and then I'm saying good bye to Pointclick.

Use firstlook and Jaboom for Amazon GC's.
-Quick and easy, and no waiting for cheques.
Old 05-03-00, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah, now I see what the problem is. I spend far too much time just buying DVDs so I can watch them, whereas I should be spending all my free time messing about on Pointclick and then spend weeks waiting for my 3-week backordered shipments from Reel and my missing-in-action rebate cheques. How foolish of me.

<HR>

Yeah I think along similar lines, that those click schemes are a waste of time. One thing that is worth doing are vividence surveys, 1/2 hr for $15 US isn't bad at all. Of course they don't come along all that often. Also keep an eye out for those other flakey 'fill out this survey for a $10 gc' deals. Unfortunately these don't usually last more than a day as they get flooded by responses. A kewl deal late last year was the send 10 e-cards for $10, hopefully something similar will come up again.

Another way I was saving a bit of money was by referring new customers to Express.com for $10 no-min coupons. When they had the $20 off $50 for new customers going a while ago it was quite easy to tempt some of my friends into buying some dvds.

Both Amazon and Express.com usually provide excellent service and decent shipping times. I've used Reel a bit, particularly when they had coupons galore, but I wouldn't recommend them over Amazon or Express.com. I even used CDNow a bit before they closed the hole in their system. They always used to ship stuff to me by FedEx International Priority for some reason, not bad for $6.50 shipping charge! No wonder they're going broke.

Chris D

[This message has been edited by Chris_D (edited May 03, 2000).]
Old 05-03-00, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chris_D:
I've used Reel a bit, particularly when they had coupons galore, but I wouldn't recommend them over Amazon or Express.com.<HR>

I would. Go through BFL and get your shipping rebated and also use in conjunction with BFL’s regular money-off deals. Also, way easier price matching than Amazon (do they still do it?) so you can ensure you get at least 40% off, 50% off list in the case of the X Files set when price matched at Reel against the SamGoody price. On-line CSR where you can easily get replacement orders for those pesky occasional packages that go astray and if this happens your shipping is upgraded to Free Air Mail express. And the biggie is never, ever having to worry about customs charges, which you do with Express, as Reel ship from Europe.

I’d also disagree about the click sites, or one in particular Jaboom. I just cashed out $425 worth of Amazon GCs from this weekend, so for anyone that has a downer on these kinds of sites I’d say definitely check it out, they’re giving money away.

The UK store (on-line or B&M) that can undercut US prices doesn‘t exist. Use a little ingenuity, venture into the Bargains forum (they won’t bite, well some of them do!) and I promise you’ll never buy from the UK again.

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human

Old 05-03-00, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jonathan.e:
I would. Go through BFL and get your shipping rebated and also use in conjunction with BFL’s regular money-off deals.
Air Mail express. And the biggie is never, ever having to worry about customs charges, which you do with Express, as Reel ship from Europe.

I’d also disagree about the click sites, or one in particular Jaboom. I just cashed out $425 worth of Amazon GCs from this weekend, so for anyone that has a downer on these kinds of sites I’d say definitely check it out, they’re giving money away.

<HR>

For myself, waiting for and trying to cash small US cheques along with waiting months for Reel to ship preorders (I'm the kind of person that can't wait to watch the latest release), is not worth the hassle and I imagine this is true for some others. Also customs in Australia isn't really an issue no matter where you shop at. But I take your point that it is a very beneficial scheme for some.

Also with Jaboom, sounds like it was a very good deal (which I missed out on) but from reading the thread in the main forum it sounds like the deal has died a bit with returns dropping from what they were earlier on. What's your opinion on this?

Chris D

[This message has been edited by Chris_D (edited May 03, 2000).]
Old 05-03-00, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chris D granted Jaboom is not the cash cow it was a few days ago but even now it’s still great. You can rate 50 songs a day so even at ten points a song you still get 500 points a day plus a 100 point bonus every 20 songs. 1,000 points gets you a $12 Amazon GC and 2,000 gets you a $26 GC. Also the better you rate the songs the more stars you get (up to 6) and the higher your points per song. See the Jaboom thread in bargains and check out their site for more details, it’s really worth doing and the GCs are valid for a year!

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human
Old 05-04-00, 04:18 PM

<HR>

No-one is forcing you to buy, but most people would agree, that they would prefer to spend a few minutes clicking away, and get them much cheaper, than pay full price!

Old 05-04-00, 06:28 PM

Sorry if this has been posted before. http://www.dvdream.com/ (UK store) has free
shipping to "anywhere in the world" until May 31.