Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hanna (2011, D: Joe Wright) S: Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great cast:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810163684/details

<object width="576" height="324"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf"></param><param name="flashVars" value="vid=23571726&"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed width="576" height="324" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="vid=23571726&"></embed></object>
Old 12-22-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Hanna (2011, D: Joe Wright) S: Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett

looks great...wish they wouldn't have spoiled that little tidbit at the end.
Old 12-22-10, 09:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks quite good. Who plays Barbera?
Old 03-06-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

The trailer for this got played before the movie I saw today. As far as I can tell, it was the same trailer posted above.

Apparently, Danny Boyle was originally on board with this project but separated from the project in 2009.

One early reviewer described it as “'The Bourne Identity' meets 'The Professional'.”

It is scheduled for release on 8 April.
Old 03-06-11, 09:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Believe it or not. I've seen the trailer since late last year I think. Maybe Octoberish at the earliest. ANYWAY...in no way did think the director was the same guy that did Pride & Predjudice and Atonement. For some reason it didn't click w/ me until I finally saw P&P on BD like a month ago. Even has the girl (Saoirse Ronan) from both films.
Old 03-06-11, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It reminds me of Alex's background from the CW show "Nikita".
Old 03-06-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Looks damn good.
Old 03-20-11, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 282 Likes on 180 Posts

Are you kidding me, this looks terrible. The ending line "children can be bad people too" by Cate was the icing on the cake.
Old 03-21-11, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Are you kidding me, this looks terrible. The ending line "children can be bad people too" by Cate was the icing on the cake.
"Icing on the cake" is usually used to describe a good thing.

Put me down as thinking this looks like it'll be really good.
Old 03-21-11, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Believe it or not. I've seen the trailer since late last year I think.
I did as well and remember being pretty excited about it (Blanchett walks on water in my book) and then promptly forgot about it until I saw the trailer again recently.
Old 03-21-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Looks interesting. Who is playing the lead? I know I have seen her in something before.
Old 03-21-11, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Looks interesting. Who is playing the lead? I know I have seen her in something before.
the lovely bones
Old 03-21-11, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
It's Saoirse Ronan, though she looks quite a bit different than she did in Atonement and The Lovely Bones. PS: Hanna's directed by Joe Wright of Atonement and Pride & Prejudice fame, and though I was skeptical about his merits as an action director (though clearly on-board with his dramatic capability), these two clips muted some of that trepidation when I saw them a month or so back:

<object width="450" height="248"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/35119"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/35119" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="248"></embed></object>

<object width="450" height="246"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/34901"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/34901" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="246"></embed></object>
Old 03-21-11, 08:47 AM

She also played the girl who made the critical accusation in Atonement.

FYI, Saoirse is pronounced "sear-sha" or "sare-sha." She doesn't even turn 17 for another few weeks but she is going to be lovely when she is in her 20s and her face matures a little.
Old 03-21-11, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
...and though I was skeptical about his merits as an action director (though clearly on-board with his dramatic capability), these two clips muted some of that trepidation when I saw them a month or so back:
Those two clips (first time seeing them just now) actually substantially increased by trepidation. They are way too stylized and the set in both scenes, especially the second one, is just ridiculously stupid. They should have gone for gritty and realistic, a la The Bourne Identity.
Old 03-21-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Oh, and here's the international trailer:

<object width="450" height="256"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/34144"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/34144" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="256"></embed></object>
Old 03-21-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Those two clips (first time seeing them just now) actually substantially increased by trepidation. They are way too stylized and the set in both scenes, especially the second one, is just ridiculously stupid. They should have gone for gritty and realistic, a la The Bourne Identity.
To each his own. We've seen plenty of Bourne Identity grit-based set designs, so a dialing-up in that regard is welcome in my book (and I don't think it's that stylized). Nothing wrong with a little flare. I will agree that the flickering lighting can be a bit much, though, but I feel like there are more successes than failures in those two clips.
Old 03-21-11, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Saw the trailor before Limitless and it looks like it has a "been there done that" vide to it. Maybe as a rental.
Old 03-21-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah -- the adds all feel like rehashes of everything from Batman Begins to La Femme Nikita, the hammy dialog doesn't help.
Old 03-21-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Saw an ad for this the other day. Definitely got a Leon and Nikita vibe off of it. I will check it out.
Old 03-21-11, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
To each his own. We've seen plenty of Bourne Identity grit-based set designs...
Yeah, there's an industry term for those types of sets. They call them "sets that resemble a place that might actually exist in real life."

We have the massive oval-shaped hallways with the sequential spot lights, the holding cell with the manual bank vault wheel for entry (seriously, WTF?), the convenient vent with a concrete slide down into a hidden crawlspace (yeah, that makes tons of sense in an otherwise high-security facility) and, my personal favorite, the giant slow-closing blast door that our protagonist is able to slide under just before it closes. How many times have we seen that little cliche before?

Seriously, animate that place and it looks like Syndrome's island lair from The Incredibles.

Add in the 110 pound girl who can flip a 230 pound man over her head without falling to the ground herself (wisely edited to show very little of), the same girl being able to easily snap the neck of an adult woman with the flick of her wrists (another tired cliche), the girl stopping to shoot all the cameras in the room out when she was going to immediately exit the room, and the large caliber handgun that holds at least 18 rounds (probably more like 22) without an extended magazine. Also, the slide on that same handgun is so slow, the camera somehow catches it in the open position. I don't know if that was a filming gaffe or what.

...so a dialing-up in that regard is welcome in my book (and I don't think it's that stylized).
So you really think that TBI, and its relative gritty realism, was somehow typical of the action genre that preceded this film? Maybe my recollection differs from yours but it seems to be that large amounts of "flare" in Hollywood action films has been far more the norm than the exception in the past couple of decades.
Old 03-22-11, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This movie looks awful. How do you get that kind of cast and ruin it? Oy.
Old 03-22-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, Saoirse is pronounced "sear-sha" or "sare-sha."
I think her parents should've gone with their second choice, Elora Danan
Old 03-22-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, there's an industry term for those types of sets. They call them "sets that resemble a place that might actually exist in real life"

Wright's going for a particular type of film, and I'm not going to deride it until I see it in completion. He's a highly-competent director with a competent cast, including a strong up-and-comer in Ronan, and he's on-record as stating that he's aiming for a blend of action, drama, and "fantasy". If he balances it all for something unique that jumps between Bourne-level realism and tweaked realism, complete with eye-catching set design that's beyond the norm, then more power to him. The clips and trailers offer a taste of how Wright's photographing and editing the action scenes, yet the context of their place in the film is unknown. There are reasons to have a little reservation, I'll give you that, but I'm still optimistic for the reasons listed above.

Anyway, here's the interview, which mentions the film's influences (potentially light spoilers):

Spoiler:
Joe Wright: Yeah, there's a little sci-fi backstory. It doesn't exist in the real world, the film. It's not supposed to be...it's fantasy, it's not the real world. It's just...off.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 03-22-11 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-02-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

First reviews are out, they tend to agree it's excellent: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hanna/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.