DVD Talk
Virgins, Your Sequel Has Come! Weekend Box Office (12/17 - 12/19) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Virgins, Your Sequel Has Come! Weekend Box Office (12/17 - 12/19)

Matthew Chmiel
12-17-10, 01:30 PM
http://media.threadless.com/subs/big/302134.jpg

FRIDAY AM: These are not Disney's official numbers yet. But not only did Tron Legacy 3D do about $3.5 million from midnight screenings but also over $1 million from 228 IMAX theaters. I'm told that's by far the biggest percentage -- 25+% -- done of any movie's midnight box office, and more than the percentage of midnight take by IMAX for Iron Man 2, Inception, Avatar. But note that's not the highest IMAX gross.

For clarification, the highest midnight opening in IMAX history is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 with $1.4 million from four weeks ago.

For further clarification, let's take a look back last year this weekend. Avatar was released making only $3 million at midnight and everyone screamed failure.

Supermallet
12-17-10, 01:40 PM
I predict Tron will have a boffo weekend and then drop like a stone next week.

Dr Mabuse
12-17-10, 01:45 PM
You're no medical doctor, so I can't take your prediction seriously.

Supermallet
12-17-10, 01:46 PM
I dropped that pretense so I could continue this one. Come on man, keep up!

Hokeyboy
12-17-10, 02:35 PM
So this is a box office thread for next November?

Matthew Chmiel
12-18-10, 01:51 AM
Friday's estimates are in.

1. Tron: Legacy 3D (Disney) NEW [3,451 Theaters]
Friday $18M, Estimated Weekend $47M

2. Yogi Bear 3D (Warner Bros) NEW [3,515 Theaters]
Friday $4.7M, Estimated Weekend $17M

3. The Fighter (Relativity/Paramount) Week 2 [2,503 Theaters]
Friday $3.8M, Estimated Weekend $11.8M.

4. Narnia/Dawn Treader 3D (Walden/Fox) Week 2 [3,555 Theaters]
Friday $3.7M (-55%), Estimated Weekend $12.8M, Estimated Cume $43M

5. How Do You Know (Sony) NEW [2,483 Theaters]
Friday $2.9M, Estimated Weekend $8.7M

6. Black Swan (Fox Searchlight) Week 3 [959 Theaters]
Friday $2.7M, Estimated Weekend $9M

7. The Tourist (GK Films/Sony) Week 2 [2,756 Theaters]
Friday $2.6M (-56%), Estimated Weekend $8.5M, Estimated Cume $30.6M

8. Tangled (Disney) Week 4 [3,201 Theaters]
Friday $2.5M, Estimated Weekend $10M, Estimated Cume $129.7M

9. Harry Potter/Deathly Hallows, Pt 1 (Warner Bros) Week 5 [2,860 Theaters]
Friday $1.5M, Estimated weekend $5.3M, Estimated Cume $266M

10. Unstoppable (Fox) Week 6 [1,876 Theaters]
Friday $675K, Estimated Weekend $2M, Estimated Cume $77.6M

I didn't even think of this until just now, but is this the first weekend where we've had two major releases come out in 3D?

I love seeing this week's estimates compared to what some sites were predicting. While most had Tron pegged at $45-50 million, other websites had Yogi Bear at $20+ million (:lol:) and Chronicles of Narnia having a small (30%) drop (:lol:).

I wonder how Sony is reacting to the weak box office opening of How Do You Know especially with its $120 million (!!!) budget. Doesn't help them that The Tourist underperformed last weekend and is now taking an almost 60% drop this weekend.

It's nice to see <s>The Wrestler</s> The Fighter and Black Swan hold their own in a crowded weekend.

anomynous
12-18-10, 02:17 AM
Who the fuck is seeing Yogi Bear?

mikelowry
12-18-10, 02:44 AM
Those who watched Garfield.

Matthew Chmiel
12-18-10, 02:46 AM
Yogi Bear is actually in more locations (3,515) than Tron Legacy (3,451). There's also the (unwanted) advantage that WB allows their films to be shown in Technicolor 3D whereas Disney will not.

There's a theater in Vegas that just set-up Technicolor 3D this weekend and I'm curious to see how it looks, but I'd also rather put my dick in a WetVac than see Yogi Bear at all.

I'll just wait for the dollar theater here to install it (which is actually happening).

fitprod
12-18-10, 03:22 AM
I personally don't believe Tron will hit $47 million, that's a number that assumes there will be a big bump on Saturday, with a small fall off on Sunday. Assuming the $18 million includes the midnights, I would expect the film to drop to about $14 million on Saturday, and down to about $9 million on Sunday.

Word of mouth will kill this film quickly. People we're laughing at the dialog throughout the film...

And if anyone thinks Dawn Trader's 55% fall off was impressive, wait for Tron next weekend. Friday will be a disaster (Christmas Eve), Saturday will be OK since it is Chrsitmas, and Sunday will suffer from many people traveling. I honestly expect a minimum 63% fall off for Tron during Christmas...

fitprod

Dragon Tattoo
12-18-10, 03:31 AM
How the fuck is Yogi bear in more theaters than Tron?

...and fitprod's a communist.

Lemmy
12-18-10, 09:10 AM

Those who watched Garfield.

You'd think those people would learn. Sheesh.

islandclaws
12-18-10, 10:05 AM
I know Disney wanted a bigger # for Tron, so they can't be happy with what'll probably wind up being $43m.

Looks like HP7.1 won't hit the mark set by the last film. I'll bet WB is pissed they couldn't finish their crap conversion to squeeze out a few more bucks from 3D.

Sean O'Hara
12-18-10, 10:40 AM

Who is going to see a live-action/animated hybrid film about a popular children's cartoon character.

Gee, I don't know.

I just don't know.

RichC2
12-18-10, 10:56 AM
I personally don't believe Tron will hit $47 million, that's a number that assumes there will be a big bump on Saturday, with a small fall off on Sunday. Assuming the $18 million includes the midnights, I would expect the film to drop to about $14 million on Saturday, and down to about $9 million on Sunday.

Word of mouth will kill this film quickly. People we're laughing at the dialog throughout the film...

And if anyone thinks Dawn Trader's 55% fall off was impressive, wait for Tron next weekend. Friday will be a disaster (Christmas Eve), Saturday will be OK since it is Chrsitmas, and Sunday will suffer from many people traveling. I honestly expect a minimum 63% fall off for Tron during Christmas...

fitprod

Schools out and many people have vacation, the weekends don't mean as much this time of year, the next two weeks are a non-stop weekend for theaters. For example, Avatar opened on the 18th last year to $26m/$25m/$24m over the weekend then $16m on Mon/Tues/Weds (then the holidays kicked in). In otherwords, I'm more curious to see how it does during the week than the weekend.

DonnachaOne
12-18-10, 11:18 AM

We did twice as much for Yogi on Friday than we did for Tron, on half as many screens and no 3D.

DRG
12-18-10, 12:22 PM
Looks like HP7.1 won't hit the mark set by the last film. I'll bet WB is pissed they couldn't finish their crap conversion to squeeze out a few more bucks from 3D.

I'm surprised they didn't just keep working on it, then release the 3d version around Christmas to bump up the box office.

fitprod
12-18-10, 12:23 PM
Schools out and many people have vacation, the weekends don't mean as much this time of year, the next two weeks are a non-stop weekend for theaters. For example, Avatar opened on the 18th last year to $26m/$25m/$24m over the weekend then $16m on Mon/Tues/Weds (then the holidays kicked in). In otherwords, I'm more curious to see how it does during the week than the weekend.

You have to remember... When Avatar was playing last year, Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve hit on Thursday, so the the film had the advantage of the Christmas Day afternoon & evening viewings, and a full Saturday, before people started traveling again on Sunday.

With Christmas Eve on a Friday, all movies will get killed, because most people will be doing last minute shopping or staying home preparing for Christmas morning.

fitprod

RichC2
12-18-10, 12:33 PM
That doesn't change the fact that schools are closed and a lot of people are on vacation off-and-on during the 2 week period. The weekends are important, but the weekdays will be just as important.

Supermallet
12-18-10, 12:54 PM
I wonder how Sony is reacting to the weak box office opening of How Do You Know especially with its $120 million (!!!) budget. Doesn't help them that The Tourist underperformed last weekend and is now taking an almost 60% drop this weekend.

Maybe if Sony released good movies, people would spend money to see them. But I heard so-so reactions to The Tourist, and How Do You Know has been getting trashed left, right, and center.

I know Disney wanted a bigger # for Tron, so they can't be happy with what'll probably wind up being $43m.

I remember reading somewhere that Disney wanted to turn Tron into a full-fledged franchise, and Legacy would just be the first film in a series. I sincerely hope the movie doesn't make enough money to continue.

fitprod
12-18-10, 01:35 PM
That doesn't change the fact that schools are closed and a lot of people are on vacation off-and-on during the 2 week period. The weekends are important, but the weekdays will be just as important.

There's no way in hell Tron performs like Avatar during the weekdays. 5-7 million tops each day.

fitprod

lizard
12-18-10, 01:52 PM
...I remember reading somewhere that Disney wanted to turn Tron into a full-fledged franchise, and Legacy would just be the first film in a series. I sincerely hope the movie doesn't make enough money to continue.Why? I know zip about Tron and never saw the original, but I wasn't aware this new one was so disliked. Is there a reason?

Supermallet
12-18-10, 01:58 PM
Check out the Tron thread. It seems to be love it or hate it. I'm more in the middle, but definitely lean towards the dislike it side more than the like it side.

tylergfoster
12-18-10, 02:07 PM
I'm hoping it pulls in enough to warrant a 2nd. Now that Kosinski has established the look (which everyone seems to agree is very cool), it'd be nice to see them pump out a 2nd with much better action and a smoother story.

That said, they should take the Saw 3D route and go for broke if they do another, combining whatever they had for a second and third chapter into one movie rather than dragging it out.

RichC2
12-18-10, 02:12 PM
There's no way in hell Tron performs like Avatar during the weekdays. 5-7 million tops each day.

fitprod

Wasn't expecting it to do Avatar-like numbers by any stretch (hell, it's opening $30m lower), was just a comparison to say the mid-week is strong during this time of year.

$5 - $7m would be very respectable.

Wazootyman
12-18-10, 03:51 PM
I know the box office has a LOT of useless statistics, but doesn't it seem like the "highest percentage IMAX opening for a midnight screening EVER" ranks among the worst?

Supermallet
12-18-10, 03:52 PM
Not if you're an IMAX employee.

Anubis2005X
12-18-10, 05:27 PM
I sincerely hope the movie doesn't make enough money to continue.

You hated it that much? -confused-

I loved it and would welcome a sequel. Talk of Pirates 5 & 6 though, ughhhhh...

Supermallet
12-18-10, 05:33 PM
I didn't hate it. I didn't particularly like it, though. I also don't see where they could go from the point where the movie ended in a way that would sustain my interest.

Panda Phil
12-18-10, 07:25 PM
Otoh, I'm getting a good laugh out of

5. How Do You Know (Sony) NEW [2,483 Theaters]

I'm sure it won't put a stop to hiring overpaid actors, but maybe it'll make a few Producers think twice.

Hokeyboy
12-18-10, 07:27 PM
Maybe it will get the lemmings to stop sucking James Brooks's nuts. :up:

Dragon Tattoo
12-18-10, 07:28 PM
I didn't hate it. I didn't particularly like it, though. I also don't see where they could go from the point where the movie ended in a way that would sustain my interest.

Well, enjoy your pirates sequels then.

Supermallet
12-18-10, 08:14 PM
Unlike a lot of people here, I didn't loathe the last two pirate movies, and now that the lovebirds are gone and we've got a new director taking the helm, I am quite looking forward to On Stranger Tides.

FantasticVSDoom
12-18-10, 10:16 PM
Well I enjoyed Tron and hope they don't do a sequel... Just not sure where they could take it and think they ended it pretty definitively. Although many probably already think it, anything else beyond this story may be convoluted.

Matthew Chmiel
12-19-10, 03:12 AM
More updated numbers:

Friday $18M, Saturday $15.5M, Estimated Weekend $47M

Friday $4.7M, Saturday $7M, Estimated Weekend $16.5M

3. Narnia/Dawn Treader 3D (Walden/Fox) Week 2 [3,555 Theaters]
Friday $3.7M, Saturday $5.2M, Weekend $12.6M (-47%), Estimated Cume $43M

4. The Fighter (Relativity/Paramount) Week 2 [2,503 Theaters]
Friday $3.8M, Saturday $4.9M, Estimated Weekend $12.1M

5. Tangled (Disney) Week 4 [3,201 Theaters]
Friday $2.5M, Saturday $3.8M, Estimated Weekend $8.8M, Estimated Cume $129.7M

6. How Do You Know (Sony) NEW [2,483 Theaters]

7. Black Swan (Fox Searchlight) Week 3 [959 Theaters]
Friday $2.6M, Estimated Weekend $9M

8. The Tourist (GK Films/Sony) Week 2 [2,756 Theaters]
Friday $2.6M (-56%), Estimated Weekend $8.5M, Estimated Cume $30.6M

Friday $1.5M, Estimated weekend $5.3M, Estimated Cume $266M

Friday $675K, Estimated Weekend $2M, Estimated Cume $77.6M

If you take midnight showings out of the equation, Tron's Saturday intake was higher than Friday's.

Yogi Bear jumping 52% is fucking appalling. I haven't heard a single, decent thing about that film yet.

Panda Phil
12-19-10, 04:43 AM
Yogi Bear jumping 52% is fucking appalling. I haven't heard a single, decent thing about that film yet.

Just more proof that some people will literally accept anything that will shut their little bastards up for ninety minutes.

TheMovieman
12-19-10, 10:41 AM
Studio Estimates:
Tron Legacy - $43.6m
Yogi Bear - $16.7m
Narnia 3 - $12.4m
Fighter - $12.2m
Tangled - $8.7m

http://twitter.com/#!/giteshpandya/status/16528062128586752

RichC2
12-19-10, 10:49 AM
Friday $18M, Saturday $14.9M, Weekend $43.6M, Intl $23M, Global $66.6M

Friday $4.7M, Saturday $7.1M, Weekend $16.7M

3. Narnia/Dawn Treader 3D (Walden/Fox) Week 2 [3,555 Theaters]
Friday $3.5M, Saturday $5.1M, Weekend $12.4M (-48%), Cume $42.7M

4. The Fighter (Relativity/Paramount) Week 2 [2,503 Theaters]
Friday $3.9M, Saturday $4.8M, Weekend $12.2M, Cume $12.6M

5. Tangled 3D (Disney) Week 4 [3,201 Theaters]
Friday $2.5M, Saturday $3.8M, Weekend $8.6M, Cume $129.7M

6. The Tourist (GK Films/Sony) Week 2 [2,756 Theaters]
Friday $2.6M, Saturday $3.4M, Weekend $8.4M (-49%), Cume $30.4M

Friday $2.5M, Saturday $3.2M, Weekend $8.3M, Cume $15.7M

8. How Do You Know (Sony) NEW [2,483 Theaters]
Friday $2.9M, Saturday $2.9M, Weekend $7.5M

Friday $1.5M, Saturday $2M, Weekend $4.8M, Cume $265.5M

Friday $550K, Saturday $810K, Weekend $1.8M, Cume $77.3M
---
Specialty Films:
The King's Speech (Weinstein Co) Week 4 [43 Theaters] Weekend $1M, Cume $2.9M
127 Hours (Fox Searchlight) Week [307 theaters] Weekend $520K, Cume $9.2M
The Tempest (Miramax) Week 2 [21 Theaters] Weekend $53K
Rabbit Hole (Lionsgate) NEW [5 Theaters] Weekend $53K

I'd like to see Black Swan take over Tangled and The Tourist come finals though unlikely. Kind of surprised a well liked movie like Tangled isn't doing better though. Could boost up next week as the only real animated movie.

fitprod
12-19-10, 02:19 PM
Studio Estimates:
Tron Legacy - $43.6m
Yogi Bear - $16.7m
Narnia 3 - $12.4m
Fighter - $12.2m
Tangled - $8.7m

http://twitter.com/#!/giteshpandya/status/16528062128586752

If Tron was revised down to $43.6 million from $47 million, since last nights numbers, I expect it to fall a couple more million when the actual numbers come out.

fitprod

jaeufraser
12-19-10, 04:15 PM
If Tron was revised down to $43.6 million from $47 million, since last nights numbers, I expect it to fall a couple more million when the actual numbers come out.

fitprod

Maybe, but the $47M was an estimate against a $18M friday. And $47M was always slightly high given that friday estimate. I don't expect it to go down too much.

Labor
12-19-10, 05:32 PM
Jesus, Disney have been hyping Tron non-stop for like the past two years, with numbers like those, and even giving it a generous 40% drop next weekend, I think heads will roll over over there...

Supermallet
12-19-10, 05:37 PM
As much as I hate to say it, this is what happens when you let the audience of Comic Con be your gauge on what films to greenlight. The audience of Comic Con likes things that are, in general, niche.

Labor
12-19-10, 05:46 PM
As much as I hate to say it, this is what happens when you let the audience of Comic Con be your gauge on what films to greenlight. The audience of Comic Con likes things that are, in general, niche.
I thought the look of Tron Legacy seemed perfect for mass appeal

I mean, the grid in Legacy basically looks like the Apple store but painted in blue. I don't think it looks anywhere near as alienating as something like Scott Pilgrim.

Supermallet
12-19-10, 05:50 PM
The people who made Scott Pilgrim knew they weren't going to get mass acceptance for their movie, and were free to make something fun and enjoyable. The makers of Tron assumed that the fans of comic con could be expanded upon, so they made something big, dumb, and pointless.

fumanstan
12-19-10, 05:58 PM

I thought the look of Tron Legacy seemed perfect for mass appeal

I mean, the grid in Legacy basically looks like the Apple store but painted in blue. I don't think it looks anywhere near as alienating as something like Scott Pilgrim.

I don't think an entirely niche movie gets a $40+ million opening. I agree with Labor, this easily could have been a movie the general public could get behind. At my showing last, the audience looked like it varied quite a bit from young to old, and not just the geek crowd.

Labor
12-19-10, 06:05 PM
I think one of the problems is that the movie just doesn't have a hook.

I mean, the trailers look cool, but I don't think they ever gave people a concept of what the hell the movie was about (hell, after watching it, its easy to understand why the trailers lacked this)). Some random bits about a son finding his father, and thats about it.

fumanstan
12-19-10, 06:08 PM
I felt it relied too much on the audience being familiar with the events of the first movie. With such a time difference, and no fancy new home video release prior, it ends up requiring that people just buy into the fancy effects and 3D. Which works a bit, but i'm sure mediocre reviews didn't help either.

Labor
12-19-10, 06:11 PM
I felt it relied too much on the audience being familiar with the events of the first movie. With such a time difference, and no fancy new home video release prior, it ends up requiring that people just buy into the fancy effects and 3D. Which works a bit, but i'm sure mediocre reviews didn't help either.
Considering how much of a joke the Tron subplot was, Im tempted to say that its not even that big of a deal for people to not have seen the first movie. This felt sufficiently self contained imo.

tylergfoster
12-19-10, 07:21 PM
Yogi Bear jumping 52% is fucking appalling. I haven't heard a single, decent thing about that film yet.Really? Based on Twitter, the consensus I was hearing was that it was "not any good, but not nearly as bad as it looked". Orndorf also singled out Anna Faris, which I can believe.

Rypro 525
12-19-10, 07:26 PM
I wonder if the jump would be higher if it had that "alternate" ending attatched

fitprod
12-19-10, 07:31 PM
Maybe, but the $47M was an estimate against a $18M friday. And $47M was always slightly high given that friday estimate. I don't expect it to go down too much.

No, the $47 million was based upon the Friday and Early Saturday Numbers. (Approximately 11:00 PM PST)

The revision was from this morning when they could calculate the Saturday West Coast estimates better.

fitprod

RichC2
12-19-10, 08:07 PM
Pretty sure that $47m number popped up as soon as Friday's numbers came in and before Saturday had any show times :shrug:

jaeufraser
12-19-10, 08:54 PM
The people who made Scott Pilgrim knew they weren't going to get mass acceptance for their movie, and were free to make something fun and enjoyable. The makers of Tron assumed that the fans of comic con could be expanded upon, so they made something big, dumb, and pointless.

Well, I mean, this is a sequel to Tron. I quite enjoyed this film, like the original, for similar reasons. But neither is a great film in the traditional sense. One could argue this new one is fairly faithful in that regard!

Granted, had Tron instead been an intelligent, well written, and thoughtful science fiction film instead of a kinda weak plot used a a clothesline for great visuals...quite honestly, it'd probably be making even less money.

This film is going to have no problem hitting the numbers on which it was greenlit, so I'm not sure I'd say that's the issue.

That and...I don't like blaming major studios for actually taking risks. I think it's a good thing they take them, even though many of them don't pan out. And this film was most certainly a risk.

No, the $47 million was based upon the Friday and Early Saturday Numbers. (Approximately 11:00 PM PST)

The place I heard $47M was Nikki Finke and Deadline Hollywood, and her number was most definitely not based on early Saturday numbers, given that she was saying that Friday night. And many people were already saying she was overestimating based on a $18M Friday which included 3.6M midnights on Friday night. And as far as I know, the $47M estimate comes from her.

Pretty sure that $47m number popped up as soon as Friday's numbers came in and before Saturday had any show times :shrug:

Well, I'm actually 99.9% positive. Otherwise these boxofficemojo guys are psychic (I give that a .01% chance). And hell, the entire first page is people saying her number is too high based on a 18m friday.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/forums/viewtopic.htm?t=88198&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

fitprod
12-20-10, 08:12 AM
The place I heard $47M was Nikki Finke and Deadline Hollywood, and her number was most definitely not based on early Saturday numbers, given that she was saying that Friday night. And many people were already saying she was overestimating based on a $18M Friday which included 3.6M midnights on Friday night. And as far as I know, the $47M estimate comes from her.

Yes, they were... The $47 million was posted on Finke's web site around 11:00 PM on Saturday. - The West Coast showings were not complete, and most theaters had showings until 1 AM.

The website posted the adjustments around 10 AM on Sunday.

fitprod

RichC2
12-20-10, 08:22 AM
Yes, they were... The $47 million was posted on Finke's web site around 11:00 PM on Saturday. - The West Coast showings were not complete, and most theaters had showings until 1 AM.

The website posted the adjustments around 10 AM on Sunday.

fitprod

No, the $47m figure was posted around 2 AM on Saturday, you can go to the first page of this thread if you need proof. Hell you made comments on the $47m figure well before 11:00 PM on Saturday. This is all well before any Saturday showtimes.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7228/chmiell.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/395/fitpr.jpg

I know this is all pointless but your insistance on 11 pm Saturday is funny. Sure it may have still said $47m on Saturday at 11, but thats because they didn't update the number until Sunday. The $47m figure is from the $18m on Friday and nothing else.

But you were right that it didn't hit that number.

Anubis2005X
12-20-10, 08:34 AM
Since it's a sequel to a movie that didn't do that well to begin with, they should be happy with a $40M+ opening weekend. Sure, that's nothing close to Harry Potter numbers, but this is a very different beast. And FWIW, I enjoy the movie a lot...

B5Erik
12-20-10, 09:06 AM
Another FWIW - I saw Tron: Legacy Sunday morning at an 11:00 A.M. showing, and the place was about 80% full. I haven't seen a showing that early that full in a while.

That's just one showing on one screen in one theater, but I did find it interesting. I actually had to sit right next to a total stranger! ;) (Neither one of us had as much elbow room as we would have liked...)

fitprod
12-20-10, 11:15 AM
No, the $47m figure was posted around 2 AM on Saturday, you can go to the first page of this thread if you need proof. Hell you made comments on the $47m figure well before 11:00 PM on Saturday. This is all well before any Saturday showtimes.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7228/chmiell.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/395/fitpr.jpg

I know this is all pointless but your insistance on 11 pm Saturday is funny.
But you were right that it didn't hit that number.

Dude... I looked at the website Early Sunday morning around 3:00 AM, after seeing Tron, and it had been updated with Saturday PM updates (Updated around 11 PM). That included an over-estimate of about $16.5 million for Saturday's numbers.

Deadline does not keep their previous post times listed, I just happened to be checking the site out, and caught the post time.

fitprod

RichC2
12-20-10, 11:37 AM
Yeah what I was saying is they didn't update the $47m estimate at that time. They added additional figures, but didn't recalculate the estimate for the weekend. Two totally different things.

Dean Kousoulas
12-20-10, 11:42 AM
Who is going to see a live-action/animated hybrid film about a popular children's cartoon character.

Gee, I don't know.

I just don't know.

Personally, I would take little Johnny to see The Black Swan instead.

arminius
12-20-10, 06:22 PM

fitprod

Mojo is reporting the actual to be slightly above 44 million.

fitprod
12-21-10, 02:51 AM
Mojo is reporting the actual to be slightly above 44 million.

I noticed that the Friday/Saturday numbers were dropped, but Sunday was around $11 million.

Monday's numbers will be interesting.

fitprod

matrixrok9
12-21-10, 03:16 AM

Jesus, Disney have been hyping Tron non-stop for like the past two years, with numbers like those, and even giving it a generous 40% drop next weekend, I think heads will roll over over there...

Disney has been banking on "geek" movies this year. They're about 50% success with Alice and Toy Story 3 getting at least $1 billion each. Prince Of Persia and Sorcerer's Apprentice bombed. Bad summer for Bruckheimer. Tron will probably even out its budget and marketing. I wonder if Disney will still focus on the "Comic Con" audience in the future...

Supermallet
12-21-10, 03:22 AM
Alice In Wonderland was a geek movie? Because I found that most geeks hated it, while general audiences loved it.

matrixrok9
12-21-10, 04:07 AM
Buzz beforehand was through the roof, most were from "Comic Con" sites.

Supermallet
12-21-10, 04:16 AM
That's why I only use this site and rotten tomatoes. Those "comic con" sites will say anything's awesome if they get to see it early or get some other preferential treatment from the studio.

fumanstan
12-21-10, 12:28 PM
I don't think Sorcerer's Apprentice is a geek movie either. Seemed like more of a younger audience/family movie.

RichC2
12-21-10, 03:08 PM
Since we're technically in a sorta-kinda holiday period, I'll go ahead and post these here:

Monday Box Office:
1. Tron Legacy -- $6,002,804 - $50.0m
2. Yogi Bear -- $2,428,465 -- $18.8m
3. Narnia 3 -- $2,225,059 -- $45m
4. Tangled -- $1,988,674 -- $129.9m
5. The Fighter -- $1,619,806 -- $14.2m
6. Black Swan -- $1,497,124 -- $17.3m
7. The Tourist -- $1,220,945 -- $31.8m
8. How Do You Know -- $1,061,974 -- $8.55m
9. Harry Potter 7a -- $963,017 -- $266.7m
10. Burlesque -- $296,234 -- $34.8m

About what I expected for Tron. Tron won per theater average ($1,739 at 3,451 theaters), 2nd place went to Black Swan ($1,561 at 959 theaters)

tylergfoster
12-21-10, 05:06 PM
$6m Monday is solid, yes?

RichC2
12-21-10, 06:51 PM
Yup, very solid.

Dragon Tattoo
12-21-10, 08:37 PM
Yay, Tron!

Ranger
12-21-10, 09:47 PM
Yeah, that's pretty good for a Monday - I waited til Mon to see it. I might see it again in a couple weeks when I have time.

Guess it should get to $100 million domestically after Christmas.

Rypro 525
12-21-10, 09:50 PM
Yeah, that's pretty good for a Monday - I waited til Mon to see it. I might see it again in a couple weeks when I have time.

Guess it should get to $100 million domestically after Christmas.

if it has a heavy drop this upcoming week (with the next fockers movie and true grit opening) it might not

jaeufraser
12-22-10, 12:15 AM
if it has a heavy drop this upcoming week (with the next fockers movie and true grit opening) it might not

I don't think it'll be THAT heavy. Granted, it's not going to pull some Avatar flat week over week stuff, but it's not going to tumble 70% either I don't think. It probably won't be at $100M on Christmas, but it's almost certain it'll hit that number sometime next week, probably earlier than later.

Here's an interesting statistic, not that I'm necessarily predicting it to happen with this film. Every single film that has opened north of $40M in December...has gone on to gross over $200M DBO. Granted I'm thinking more like 170-180 on this title, but this thing isn't going to have legs like a summer movie...not with the holiday season for the next couple weeks.

ScissorPuppy
12-22-10, 01:36 PM
https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/17643830295658497

According to this Tron took in 6.3 Million yesterday.

RichC2
12-22-10, 01:55 PM
Tron should make about $6m on Weds and Thurs as well, drop on Friday and we'll see on Saturday/Sunday.

Tuesday Nums:
Tron Legacy $6,350,783
Yogi Bear $2,948,354
Dawn Treader $2,660,104
Tangled $2,462,425
The Fighter $1,903,048
Black Swan $1,593,300
The Tourist $1,467,036
How Do You Know $1,197,326
Harry Potter 7a $1,122,149
Burlesque $337,799

RichC2
12-23-10, 10:57 AM
And Wednesday:

1. Little Fockers (Universal) NEW [3,536 Theaters]
Wednesday $7.2

2. Tron 3D (Disney) Week 1 [3,451 Theaters]
Wednesday $5.6M, Cume $62.1M

3. True Grit (Paramount) NEW [3,047 Theaters]
Wednesday $5.5M

4. Yogi Bear 3D (Warner Bros) Week 1 [3,515 Theaters]
Wednesday $2.9M, Cume $24.6M

5. Narnia 3D/Dawn Treader (Walden/Fox) Week 2 [3,555 Theaters]
Wednesday $2.5M, Cume $50.1M

6. Tangled 3D (Disney) Week 4 [3,201 Theaters]
Wednesday $2.2M, Cume $134.6M

Wednesday $1.7M, Cume $20.6M

8. The Fighter (Relativity/Paramount) Week 2 [2,503 Theaters]
Wednesday $1.3M, Cume $17M

9. The Tourist (GK Films/Sony) Week 2 [2,756 Theaters]
Wednesday $1M, Cume $34.3M

10. Harry Potter/Deathly Hallows Pt 1 (Warner Bros) Week 5 [2,860 Theaters]
Wednesday $900K, Cume $268.7M

Of interest: Black Swan took over The Fighter, and a pretty solid $5.5m opening for True Grit.

islandclaws
12-23-10, 11:18 AM
Nice hold for Tron in the face of some new, high profile titles. I see everyone else thought Little Fockers looked as terrible as it does. You know Uni wanted a higher # opening day.

Matthew Chmiel
12-23-10, 01:05 PM
On this Wednesday, an entire six (fuckin') years ago, Meet the Fockers made: $12,066,740. Yes, it also opened on Wednesday, December 22nd... what are the odds?

40% drop from the previous sequel's opening to day to this one. If that continues, expect Little <s>Fuckers</s> Fockers to pull in $27.6 million during the 24-26 and a five-day total of $41-43 million. Interesting to note, most of Meet the Fockers' initial weekend gross came from that of Christmas Day.

Good to see Tron holding in there. :thumbsup: Nice to see Black Swan kicking ass and taking names too.

Ranger
12-23-10, 10:02 PM
Narnia is doing really well overseas. Which countries is it popular in?

arminius
12-24-10, 10:18 AM
Narnia is doing really well overseas. Which countries is it popular in?

Country Total Gross As Of Release Date
Australia $7,941,410 12/19/10 12/2/10
Austria $300,782 12/19/10 12/17/10
Bahrain $30,639 12/19/10 12/9/10
Belgium and Luxembourg $912,033 12/19/10 12/8/10
Bolivia $207,000 12/19/10 12/9/10
Brazil $2,561,733 12/12/10 12/10/10
Bulgaria $117,446 12/19/10 12/10/10
Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama and Paragua n/a n/a 12/10/10
Chile $1,101,975 12/19/10 12/9/10
Colombia $2,211,480 12/19/10 12/10/10
Croatia $114,358 12/19/10 12/9/10
Czech Republic $444,705 12/19/10 12/9/10
Dominican Republic n/a n/a 12/9/10
East & West Africa (Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania, Zambia and Uganda) n/a n/a 12/10/10
Ecuador $564,424 12/12/10 12/10/10
Egypt $74,511 12/19/10 12/8/10
Estonia $68,153 12/19/10 12/10/10
Ethiopia $4,072 12/12/10 12/10/10
France and Algeria, Monaco, Morocco and Tunisia $10,759,757 12/19/10 12/8/10
Germany $2,451,860 12/19/10 12/16/10
Ghana $6,630 12/19/10 12/10/10
Greece $665,885 12/19/10 12/9/10
Hong Kong $3,017,274 12/19/10 12/9/10
Hungary $292,479 12/19/10 12/9/10
Iceland $68,045 12/19/10 12/10/10
India n/a n/a 12/10/10
Indonesia n/a n/a 12/8/10
Israel $520,767 12/19/10 12/9/10
Italy $1,764,016 12/19/10 12/17/10
Jamaica n/a n/a 12/8/10
Jordan n/a n/a 12/8/10
Kuwait $139,814 12/12/10 12/9/10
Latvia $52,911 12/19/10 12/10/10
Lebanon $43,876 12/12/10 12/9/10
Lithuania $109,259 12/19/10 12/10/10
Malaysia $3,428,259 12/19/10 12/9/10
Mexico $10,428,120 12/19/10 12/10/10
Netherlands $887,875 12/19/10 12/9/10
New Zealand and Fiji $914,332 12/19/10 12/9/10
Nigeria $16,739 12/19/10 12/10/10
Oman $25,654 12/12/10 12/9/10
Peru $767,994 12/12/10 12/8/10
Philippines n/a n/a 12/9/10
Portugal and Angola $546,095 12/19/10 12/9/10
Qatar $66,067 12/12/10 12/9/10
Romania $237,329 12/19/10 12/10/10
Russia - CIS $16,285,484 12/19/10 12/9/10
Serbia and Montenegro $32,071 12/19/10 12/9/10
Singapore $2,360,711 12/19/10 12/9/10
Slovakia $180,722 12/19/10 12/9/10
Slovenia $90,039 12/19/10 12/9/10
South Africa (Entire Region) $1,018,191 12/19/10 12/10/10
South Korea $7,605,558 12/19/10 12/9/10
Spain $9,864,811 12/19/10 12/3/10
Switzerland $248,200 12/12/10 12/8/10
Syria n/a n/a 12/9/10
Taiwan $859,455 12/19/10 12/10/10
Thailand $1,721,508 12/19/10 12/9/10
Trinidad & Tobago n/a n/a 12/8/10
Turkey $1,097,379 12/19/10 12/10/10
Ukraine $1,272,051 12/19/10 12/9/10
United Arab Emirates $672,531 12/19/10 12/9/10
United Kingdom and Ireland and Malta $7,429,559 12/19/10 12/10/10
Uruguay $7,712 12/19/10 1/1/11
Vietnam n/a n/a 12/10/10

As per boxofficemojo it looks like France, Mexico, Russia and Spain are loving it.

Drexl
12-24-10, 10:31 AM
On this Wednesday, an entire six (fuckin') years ago, Meet the Fockers made: $12,066,740. Yes, it also opened on Wednesday, December 22nd... what are the odds?

Meet the Fockers outgrossed The Incredibles in the US. :sad:

arminius
12-24-10, 10:32 AM

Fock! That really socks!

Daytripper
12-24-10, 11:08 AM

Only in the U.S. (shakes head in shame).

RichC2
12-24-10, 12:17 PM
Thursday:
1. Little Fockers (Universal) NEW [3,536 Theaters]
Wednesday $7.2M, Thursday $7.1M, Cume $14.3M

2. Tron 3D (Disney) Week 1 [3,451 Theaters]
Wednesday $5.6M, Thursday $6.1M, Cume $68.1M

3. True Grit (Paramount) NEW [3,047 Theaters]
Wednesday $5.5M, Thursday $5.6M, Cume $11.2M

4. Yogi Bear 3D (Warner Bros) Week 1 [3,515 Theaters]
Wednesday $2.9M, Thursday $3.2M, Cume $27.9M

5. Narnia 3D/Dawn Treader (Walden/Fox) Week 2 [3,532 Theaters]
Wednesday $2.5M, Thursday $2.9M, Cume $53.1M

6. Tangled 3D (Disney) Week 4 [2,582 Theaters]
Wednesday $2.2M, Thursday $2.6M, Cume $137.2M

7. Black Swan (Fox Searchlight) Week 3 [1,456 Theaters]
Wednesday $1.7M, Thursday $1.7M, Cume $22.4M

8. The Fighter (Relativity/Paramount) Week 2 [2,503 Theaters]
Wednesday $1.3M, Thursday $1.5M, Cume $19M

9. The Tourist (GK Films/Sony) Week 2 [2,756 Theaters]
Wednesday $1M, Thursday $1.1M, Cume $35.4M

10. Harry Potter/Deathly Hallows Pt 1 (Warner Bros) Week 5 [1,840 Theaters]
Wednesday $900K, Thursday $1M, Cume $269.8M

ScissorPuppy
12-24-10, 03:05 PM
Looks like Tron may stick around and make some decent bucks after all. I wonder what the magic number is box office wise to green light the sequel?