Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Fifth Element - Ultimate Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Ian Jane's DVD review of The Fifth Element - Ultimate Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13970 and...
I'm pretty much in total agreement with his take on this Ultimate Eye-candy film. I'm especially in sync with his crush on Mila Jovovitch -- though he spells her name wrong (pronounced jo'vo-vitch). For me, she's endlessly captivating throughout; her performance is uninhibitedly vivacious and completely spontaneous; and her charming physicality is not so much beautiful as it is terminally adorable. Her youthful exuberance was obviously permitted to go completely unchecked, and it's no surprise that director Besson ended up marrying her. Where I differ from ---'s opinion is (1) I feel that the usually sickening flamboyance of Chris Tucker was at last perfectly utilized in this movie -- quite possibly for the very first and last time -- though I agree that he should have disappeared before the Diva scene; and (2) I've had it up to here with Gary Oldman's constantly trying to top himself with over-the-top performances. He makes Jim Cary look like John Geilgud. Bruce is great, as usual, and the rest of the cast is excellent; but the real stars here are the visuals, hands down. This flick is now running almost every day on some cable channel or another, and I still find myself unable to surf past it, hoping to catch one of my multitude of favorite scenes. This is, without a doubt, the most wonderful so-so movie ever created. How he do dat?
Old 12-14-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,229 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'The Fifth Element - Ultimate Edition'

I agree with everything you say here except the part about Gary Oldman, especially when you consider his work in Nolan's Batman movies.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-14-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Oldman is only over-the-top when a director let's him go over the top.

He's quite low-key in the Nolan Batman films, A Christmas Carol, and even the Harry Potter movies, which is a role you'd think he'd go out of control.
Old 12-15-10, 12:07 PM

I'll have to bow to you two's giving Oldman a pass on my overacting complaint, since in checking his filmography I see that I've seen precious few of the films in which he's appeared -- namely one's like "The Fifth Element," "The Professional," and another (forget the title) in which he appeared as a monstrous bedridden invalid without even an acting credit. Besson, in particular, must be enamored of Oldman's comfort with pushing overacting beyond all limits, since his performance in "The Professional" was, to me, inexcusable. Speaking of "The Professional," by the way; I feel that in both that and "The Fifth Element," Besson's bacon was saved in great part by his leading gals. Both Portman and Jojovitch stole the shows, performance-wise; and the plots of both are more full of holes than a Swiss cheese factory.
Old 12-15-10, 01:27 PM

Definitely can't argue about jovovitch, her first five minutes in Fifth Element are absolutely amazing. Anyway, I kind of like it when Oldman overacts. If you want to see him take it right down the middle of the road, check out Romeo Is Bleeding - at least if my memory serves, he manages to be fiery and sedate in equal measure in that one ...
Old 12-15-10, 05:36 PM

Thanks, I'll look for the Romeo movie; maybe I've seen him in more normal mode and just haven't recognized him!
Old 12-15-10, 07:32 PM

PS I've thought over my disdain for Gary Oldman's "overacting"; and, thanks to your comments, have reconsidered it, as detailed in my response to Ian Jane's review of "The Professional." Please check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old 12-15-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by drshi
I'm especially in sync with his crush on Mila Jovovitch -- though he spells her name wrong (pronounced jo'vo-vitch).
but you didn't spell it right either, it's spelled Jovovich.
Old 12-16-10, 01:09 AM

Touche -- but I was really referring to the resultant pronounciation.
Old 12-16-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drshi
Touche -- but I was really referring to the resultant pronounciation.
Heh, well, you spelled her first name wrong too.
Old 12-16-10, 01:44 PM

Let's just call her Hottie and get it over with.