Old 12-12-10, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,540 Posts
Dexter -- Season Finale -- "The Big One" -- 12/12/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-10-03

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
In the fifth-season finale, Dexter smells a trap being set for him and Lumen (Julia Stiles) and pulls out all the stops in an effort to avoid getting caught in it. Elsewhere, personal feelings get in the way of Debra's investigation into the Barrel Girls; and Quinn gets in a bind from which only Dexter can extricate him.

Episode 12 of 12

It's the season finale folks!!

Promo:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QbqW0IKelE4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QbqW0IKelE4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by DJariya; 01-02-11 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-12-10, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,540 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Finale -- "The Big One" -- 12/12/10

Sorry, minor correction, not that it really matters, but the correct episode title is actually:

"Through a Glass, Darkly"
Old 12-12-10, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that they retitled it, so "The Big One" is correct. Either way, I can't wait. The last scene of the promo = OMG.
Old 12-12-10, 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Poink
The last scene of the promo = OMG.
Spoiler:
Am I the only one who thinks they purposely cut it so that you THINK Debra finds Dexter and that's not actually what happens? It just looks so staged.
Typical Showtime.
Old 12-12-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't wait I have been enjoying this season all the way through, and will be sad to see it finished.
Old 12-12-10, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Spoiler:
Am I the only one who thinks they purposely cut it so that you THINK Debra finds Dexter and that's not actually what happens? It just looks so staged.
Typical Showtime.
Yeah, after the initial shock of the situation being possible I thought that's probably the case.

However,
Spoiler:
after watching it again, in the shots with Dexter you can see on the right side of the frame that there's another person (Lumen) with their hands up, giving the scenario some credibility. Despite the cuts, it also appears to be in the same room, so I'm thinking this isn't just dramatic editing at play.
Old 12-12-10, 01:46 PM
FuQ

They are masterful at cutting those promos, don't be fooled!!
Old 12-12-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait and yet I don't want it to end.
Old 12-12-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthVong
I can't wait and yet I don't want it to end.
Same for me.
Old 12-12-10, 03:18 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

This season's been kind of a slow burn (not a bad thing). Looking forward to the finale.
Old 12-12-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Been a great season thus far and really am not looking forward to waiting until next September for new episodes again . Ah well really anticipating the finale tonight though!
Old 12-12-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Well that finale was pretty good. I feel as though some people may be left disappointed because they didn't go for exactly what everyone expected but it was good.

Spoiler:
I'm beginning to think that Deb isn't going to find out about Dexter at all or if she does maybe not until the end of the series. I didn't mind the way that aspect of the story was handled with her letting them just escape because it felt right for her character and obviously they didn't intend for her to find out about Dexter's Dark Passenger.

I also thought it was a bit interesting for Dexter to cover for Quinn but I suppose it makes sense because in Dexter's mind Quinn potentially still has reasons to be suspicious of him.

I think the biggest issue I had with this episode is how many risks Dexter is taking. Stealing a vehicle, killing another victim without properly setting the scene to cover his tracks (although in this instance it likely won't matter because I don't believe Deb will go back to investigate the scene any further)

Overall though I'm satisfied by the season as a whole. It kind of feels like they used this season as a bit of a fill in the gap season, but it was still good and tied up some ends from last season. It allows them to take the series in whatever direction they feel next year and not be tied down without leaving loose ends.
Old 12-12-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Poor Dexter I actually thought he and Lumen would end up together at the end.
Old 12-12-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great ending to the season. I think Deb actually knows about Dexter. She can't be that stupid.
Old 12-12-10, 09:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The car Dexter stole seems like a big loose end. It will be reported stolen the day all the cops found Liddy's body and then a few hours later it will turn up (well, turned over :-P) at the camp. Plus any blood/hair from the car crash.

I don't see Dexter/Lumen were able to clean all Jordan's blood up before the cops that Deb called in. Well, I can't remember, are we sure Deb called it in right away? All I remember is her telling Dexter that Jordan is still missing, not necessarily that they found the camp?? Have to rewatch that scene.
Old 12-12-10, 10:23 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I think Deb said that cops would be swarming in an hour. Anyway, great finale to the season tonight. I was impressed with how they choose to follow-up last season (no easy task as it was arguably this show's best season).
Old 12-12-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

I was semi-disappointed in the way it ended, but then I remembered this show doesn't always end on a cliffhanger. That scene with Deb at the camp was freakin tense. I thought for sure she was going to find out, or Lumen would give herself up to save Dexter.
Old 12-12-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthVong
Great ending to the season. I think Deb actually knows about Dexter. She can't be that stupid.
It's not that big of a stretch that she doesn't know. It's a pretty big leap in logic to go from "my brother is weird and kinda shady" to "my brother is a serial killer." She has absolutely no reason to think he was involved in any of this.

Quinn, on the hand, knows full well about Dexter. He just has to. He has no proof but Quinn seemed to be way too ok with a guy that he thinks was involved in Rita's death. Quinn should only be 100x more suspicious of Dexter and what he's capable of. Just because Dex hooked him up with the blood test shouldn't make this all ok.

Anyway, great finale. The scene with Deb running into Lumen and Dexter was incredible. All in all, it was a great resolution to what turned out to be a great season.

I'm glad that Lumen left... Like I said last week, it doesn't make much sense with her there and it makes sense that she would be done killing. I like that there is a chance of her making a comeback, if they so choose.

Maybe she was there, but in the end scene with Dexter looking at all his friends and family, I would have liked it if Rita was there. Harry was so I think they should have put her on too. Minor gripe though.
Old 12-12-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a very weak ending. Aside from the scene with Deb confronting Dex and Lumen it was predictable.

Question for Dexter aficionados: Did Dexter ever find out who the people were that killed his mother? I can't recall.
Old 12-12-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Good finale and final 6 episodes in general.
Old 12-12-10, 11:04 PM

Alright there, Julia Stiles. Your interview was a little weird. When you started talking about how the kill scenes were so much fun to film, that was just strange............ly hot.
Old 12-12-10, 11:09 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It was a very weak ending. Aside from the scene with Deb confronting Dex and Lumen it was predictable.

Question for Dexter aficionados: Did Dexter ever find out who the people were that killed his mother? I can't recall.
Yes, there were three of them. Two had died from old age and the third was the old guy that ran the bar in Naples. It was season 2, episode 5.

And while I do love the show I will agree with you that there was no real "Holy Shit" Moment for me. I found most of the stuff to to happen not in the manner in which I thought it would, but everything seemed to fit with the changing morals of the characters.

Last edited by bcd; 12-12-10 at 11:15 PM. Reason: for episode clarification
Old 12-12-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bcd
Yes, there were three of them. Two had died from old age and the third was the old guy that ran the bar in Naples. It was the season with his psycho pyro girlfriend.
Okay, gotcha. I remember now. Thanks.
Old 12-12-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Deb just letting Dexter and Lumen escape was a stretch, even if the character could understand the motivation behind what they were doing. Deb letting them just escape without even taking a quick peek behind the plastic to see who they were was just preposterous, even for this show. I get why they wouldn't have Deb find out about Dex, but it just came off incredibly silly.
Old 12-12-10, 11:20 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Deb just letting Dexter and Lumen escape was a stretch, even if the character could understand the motivation behind what they were doing. Deb letting them just escape without even taking a quick peek behind the plastic to see who they were was just preposterous, even for this show. I get why they wouldn't have Deb find out about Dex, but it just came off incredibly silly.
I don't think that her not looking behind the plastic was a stretch. If she looked regardless of it was Dexter or it would be that much harder to come to terms with the fact that she let them go. Without looking she was able to validate her vigilante theory and that was enough for her, and after looking over hours of the dvd's and she knew that Chase was the one videotaping the whole thing and got what he deserved, and that #13 had suffered enough.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.