Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

mzupeman2
12-18-11, 03:14 PM
You can toggle any quest on the quest list; when toggled on, the map will show where you need to go to advance the quest.

Yeah, it's wicked easy. Sometimes it's easy to forget that if the current you're on isn't showing up as the arrow on your compass, all you have to do is select that quest from the list and it will show up. Love it!

mhg83
12-18-11, 03:36 PM
So does anyone have an actual list of quest lines to do in order so you wont miss certain quests?

foxdvd
12-18-11, 05:35 PM
Does anyone else think that Adrianne Avenicci in Whiterun is boinking her dad?

JasonF
12-18-11, 07:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5xGUi.png

Wolf359
12-18-11, 10:25 PM
^ :lol:

Definitely takes out of the game when that happens.

MasterofDVD
12-18-11, 11:31 PM
I wish there was a way turn off people giving you new quests. My quest list is insanely long and every time I talk to someone to end a quest or buy something they have another quest they need to lay on me. The game is amazing but I'm getting swamped with things people need from me.

foxdvd
12-18-11, 11:39 PM
I wish there was a way turn off people giving you new quests. My quest list is insanely long and every time I talk to someone to end a quest or buy something they have another quest they need to lay on me. The game is amazing but I'm getting swamped with things people need from me.

they are going to use the engine for this and make a wife simulator...

slop101
12-19-11, 10:46 AM
So going over what I've done in the game (locations discovered, quests completed, level attained, shouts learned, etc.), I figure I'm about half-way done with it. So I go and check how long I've been playing to gauge how much I've got left, guessing it'd be around 40 hours, and it turns out to be 80 hours.... holy shit!

Noonan
12-19-11, 11:07 AM
I just broke 100 hours and I don't have much left to do. I'm about half way through the main story and the brotherhood. I've finished up all other story lines and have 2 deadric quests left. I'd guess that I'll end up at around 120.

slop101
12-19-11, 11:57 AM
I suppose I could blast through the remainder of the game in 40 hours rather than 80, since the initial sense of "discovery" is gone and I'd be playing with a lot more focus. Hopefully by then we'll get the DLC - those seemed to come quick for the Fallout games.

dvdsteve2000
12-19-11, 01:38 PM
Where does it tell you how much time you have in (360)?

Noonan
12-19-11, 01:51 PM
If it's the same as the PC version, it should say at each save if you go to the load screen.

slop101
12-19-11, 02:12 PM
Yeah, it's right under your game-save - there's the little screen-shot, under it different info and besides the date of the save, the numbers with the decimal points is your hours.minutes.seconds of time played under that save.

Although, to be fair, I think half my time has been tooling around in the items/map/quests menus.

DeputyDave
12-19-11, 03:54 PM
A quick tip I just found out about (thanks to my gf): One thing that stops me from soul trapping as much as I want is the fear I don't have the proper sized empty soul gem. That I would kill a low level creature and have it placed in the only available empty (high level) gem. Supposedly if you drop a full gem from your inventory and then pick it up again it will be empty, erasing this kind of mistake without losing the gem.

T-bone22
12-19-11, 08:53 PM
Does anyone else think that Adrianne Avenicci in Whiterun is boinking her dad?

:lol: Yes, I thought the same thing

superdeluxe
12-20-11, 08:19 AM
does the soul capture spell work from a distance?
or do you need to be close to the creature to cast it?

I've always been close..I'm guessing you would have to be close enough to 'point' at the body

superdeluxe
12-20-11, 08:20 AM
Anyone know off hand where a wood elf is? I need to harvest blood for a quest and that's the only one I'm missing.

Liars retreat has all the races except high elf.

superdeluxe
12-20-11, 08:26 AM
I'm level 22, about 20 hours in.
I've been following this thread but not too closely, I haven't wanted to spoil things.
I did go to the Greybeards (I used to have a dog we called Greybeard, so that strikes me as humourous every time I go see them or hear about them) and start that quest, but I've just been doing random side quests and miscellaneous objectives and exploring the area.
Is that the best approach? Should I work on all the side stuff first? They haven't gotten boring yet, which was my issue with Oblivion. I wouldn't mind a little more direction on some of the misc. objectives (Bring X to Person Y - I forget where person Y is.) but so far I've just been going off on tangents.
Is it possible to do all the career questlines without blocking others off? ie, if I do Companion, that prevents me from doing Somethingelse, or are they all independent and don't affect each other?

I just started doing some smithing, but I haven't done a whole lot of enchanting or alchemy.

Really its up to you how you want to pursue it, someone mentioned doing the main quest line before the civil war questline because you might miss some plot choices in the Main Quest. Really its what you want to do in regards to how soon you start the Main quests.

As someone has already mentioned it is fairly easy to find your next quest marker..they have it listed with the arrow..also you can use clairyovarience and that will show you the direction you need to go.

I don't think any of the Career questlines impacts the main quests

You don't have to accept it, and if you don't want to do it..just ignore the quest and make active only the ones you want.

A quick tip I just found out about (thanks to my gf): One thing that stops me from soul trapping as much as I want is the fear I don't have the proper sized empty soul gem. That I would kill a low level creature and have it placed in the only available empty (high level) gem. Supposedly if you drop a full gem from your inventory and then pick it up again it will be empty, erasing this kind of mistake without losing the gem.

High level gems can only be filled with higher level souls. For example, you can't stick a goat's soul into a Greater Soul Gem.

superdeluxe
12-20-11, 08:39 AM
I am having a bitch of a time with that Diplomatic Immunity quest..everytime I sneak up the stairs..the wizard sees me because he is looking directly at me..I thought he was suppose to be staring at the fricking wall.

wlj
12-20-11, 08:50 AM
I am having a bitch of a time with that Diplomatic Immunity quest..everytime I sneak up the stairs..the wizard sees me because he is looking directly at me..I thought he was suppose to be staring at the fricking wall.

You have to wait for the Blair Witch to show up, then he looks at the wall.

duh, dude.

;)

T-bone22
12-20-11, 08:50 AM
Higher level gems can only be filled with higher level souls. For example, you can't stick a goat's soul into a Greater Soul Gem.

Incorrect

superdeluxe
12-20-11, 09:10 AM
Incorrect

You can stick a goat's soul into a Greater Soul Gem?

I thought only certain level of souls can fit into certain gems.

Noonan
12-20-11, 09:17 AM
Yeah, low level souls will fit into higher level gems. It'll put souls into the lowest fitting gem you have available.

slop101
12-20-11, 10:08 AM
I am having a bitch of a time with that Diplomatic Immunity quest..everytime I sneak up the stairs..the wizard sees me because he is looking directly at me..I thought he was suppose to be staring at the fricking wall.I took him out with an arrow to the face while still undetected on the stairs.

superdeluxe
12-20-11, 10:44 AM
I took him out with an arrow to the face while still undetected on the stairs.

I tried to get up enough so I can hit him..but as soon as I did he saw me. damnit

JasonF
12-20-11, 10:59 AM
I have no idea which quest you're talking about, so maybe there's a reason this won't work, but it won't stop me from offering this answer: invisibility potion.

superdeluxe
12-20-11, 11:05 AM
I have no idea which quest you're talking about, so maybe there's a reason this won't work, but it won't stop me from offering this answer: invisibility potion.

Diplomatic Immunity is a Main Quest, It is where you smuggle into the Thamlor Embassy to get the papers.

Noonan
12-20-11, 11:06 AM
I don't remember having any issues with that quest. After the bar guy helps you get in the back room, I just killed everyone I ran across who attacked me first.

Dragon Fly
12-20-11, 01:07 PM
Diplomatic Immunity is a Main Quest, It is where you smuggle into the Thamlor Embassy to get the papers.

I didn't even bother sneaking around in the quest. Stormed my way through the embassy and lit things up with fire. For some reason Barbas still followed me through and was keeping most all the guards busy.

superdeluxe
12-20-11, 01:27 PM
That has to be a bug, because you are not suppose to have any followers. Maybe I'll go grab barbas

Autotelik
12-20-11, 03:00 PM
I still haven't purchased this yet, but was planning to soon because the price has come down slightly. But there have been a lot of recent reviews on Amazon saying this game is glitched severely to the point of unplayable.

Is this true? I have a PS3, and do not want to put up with spending hours on a fun game and then have it be unplayable in the second half.

Groucho
12-20-11, 03:02 PM
If the game were unplayable, it wouldn't have become a smash success. That said, I've been declining the most recent patch on Xbox due to reported problems (as have many others).

Noonan
12-20-11, 03:03 PM
The PC version is very buggy (in my experience). I haven't heard of too many issues from console players other than random quirks that don't effect anything.

If it weren't for the console commands you can use on PC, the main story would have been glitched on me very early on. I still can't/will never be able to buy the house in Windhelm.

slop101
12-20-11, 04:28 PM
If the game were unplayable, it wouldn't have become a smash success. That said, I've been declining the most recent patch on Xbox due to reported problems (as have many others).You're thinking of the 1.2 patch. The most recent patch (1.3), which just came last week, is fine - I've been playing with it all week and have had ZERO problems.

Groucho
12-20-11, 04:41 PM
I didn't realize that had come out yet. Thanks for the heads up!

MoviePage
12-20-11, 04:46 PM
http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/14454988018/1/tumblr_lw3ouiqOrK1qb5gkj

Dragon Fly
12-20-11, 06:20 PM
That has to be a bug, because you are not suppose to have any followers. Maybe I'll go grab barbas

Barbas gets really annoying because he follows too closely, doesn't move for you, and pushes you. Aside from that he's awesome to bring into a fight. I'm rocking Barbas and Mjoll right now. Having two immortal followers comes in pretty handy, especially on boss fights.

cruzness
12-21-11, 07:14 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U-XcjDJ4rbw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not the best lightshow but it was still well done.

timewaster
12-22-11, 09:43 AM
is there a way to tell what level your follower is?
i think i read that the follower is the same level as you when you first meet him? rather than we he joins you?
That would really suck. It means you will always need to find a new follower.
I am using Uthgard and she dies very easily now and many times it is a permanent death causing me to reload.

superdeluxe
12-22-11, 10:00 AM
is there a way to tell what level your follower is?
i think i read that the follower is the same level as you when you first meet him? rather than we he joins you?
That would really suck. It means you will always need to find a new follower.
I am using Uthgard and she dies very easily now and many times it is a permanent death causing me to reload.

I believe follower's skill progression does not level. So yeah that sucks, Uthgard should not die, unless you accidently kill them..or they get a Huge Poison DoT on them and they die.

superdeluxe
12-22-11, 10:01 AM
For backstabbing:

Do you have to have a back stab perk? Or just do a power attack? And how do you do a power attack.

i know, noob questions

Noonan
12-22-11, 10:08 AM
Backstabbing will do more damage by default but not to the extent you can get it to with perks and armor. To do a power attack, hold down the attack button rather than pressing it. Using the Assassin's Blade perk with the Shrouded Gloves or Hand Wraps makes the game real easy with a dagger if your sneak is decent.

superdeluxe
12-22-11, 10:36 AM
Ahhh so I do need perks to do the crazy BS.

Noonan
12-22-11, 10:41 AM
Yeah, it's the one that gives you 15x with daggers. That alone is pretty crazy; add the Shrouded Gloves and you'll be one-hitting pretty much anything you can sneak up to from behind. It's the only way I can take out Forsworn Briarhearts. Those guys mess me up if I can't take them out with a sneak attack.

Cardiff Giant11
12-22-11, 11:51 AM
Backstabbing will do more damage by default but not to the extent you can get it to with perks and armor. To do a power attack, hold down the attack button rather than pressing it. Using the Assassin's Blade perk with the Shrouded Gloves or Hand Wraps makes the game real easy with a dagger if your sneak is decent.

I bet using Mehrunes Razor on top of all those would make it even easier.

superdeluxe
12-22-11, 12:31 PM
Yeah, it's the one that gives you 15x with daggers. That alone is pretty crazy; add the Shrouded Gloves and you'll be one-hitting pretty much anything you can sneak up to from behind. It's the only way I can take out Forsworn Briarhearts. Those guys mess me up if I can't take them out with a sneak attack.

Wait I have the 15X damage for daggers I think as well as the shrouded gloves, do I just need to do a Power Attack? (Press down on trigger?)

Noonan
12-22-11, 12:43 PM
I don't think you have to do a power attack. That perk + the shrouded gloves gives you 30x damage with daggers on any backstab attack, power or regular (unless I'm not remember the perk correctly). Or you could use the Shrouded Hand Wraps for 30x on any sneak attack instead of only backstabs. I usually do power attacks just for the throat slit animation.

Noonan
12-22-11, 12:46 PM
I bet using Mehrunes Razor on top of all those would make it even easier.
It doesn't even really matter at that point. I haven't run across an enemy I couldn't one-hit with the 30x damage. That being said, Mehrunes Razor is badass and the only weapon I use now other than a bow and Molag Bal for soul trapping.

superdeluxe
12-24-11, 12:50 PM
So is this a bug? After I get barbas I literally can not go into sneak mode (ls) button on Xbox? Is this just a glitch?

dom56
12-24-11, 03:20 PM
I believe if you have a follower with you the sneak mode won't work. Try without barbas and see it that help.

edstein
12-24-11, 03:58 PM
Skyrim on sale today $40.19 on Steam.

timewaster
12-25-11, 09:38 AM
merry xmas!

i'm playing on normal and finding this game to be really hard at times.
one of the hardest rpg i've ever played.
am i the only one?
if the monsters level with you, what is the point of leveling?

Also, i completed the companions quests and got beast form. but now the option has disappeared. how do i get it back?

Dragon Fly
12-25-11, 09:49 AM
merry xmas!

i'm playing on normal and finding this game to be really hard at times.
one of the hardest rpg i've ever played.
am i the only one?
if the monsters level with you, what is the point of leveling?

Also, i completed the companions quests and got beast form. but now the option has disappeared. how do i get it back?

You didn't throw a witches head into the fire, did you?

Otherwise you just select it as a Power like a Shout.

Poink
12-25-11, 10:34 AM
I thought it was fairly hard in the early parts, when I was just using Destruction magic and trying to set fire to everything before it could kill me. Later on I switched to using Conjuration more and the game became super easy. Summoning the various things is a big help, especially the Dremora Lords and the Storm attronachs or whatever they are called. Pretty sure I killed a few dragons off-screen using those.

The "Bound Bow" spell is great, too. WAY more powerful than any other bow I've come across.

I finished the "main" quest the other night. Pretty anti-climatic, unfortunately. It was one of those Halo 2 type endings when you think it's just getting good and then it's over. Oh well. To me, the main draw of the game is the various side quest lines and the world itself. I enjoyed (and spent equal time) on just the Dark Brotherhood storyline alone...

mzupeman2
12-25-11, 11:01 AM
The game can be pretty challening earlier on, but not everything levels up with you. There are certain enemies that will, in order to keep the game from becoming to easy, but there are many that you'll find can be killed off with a strike or two as you progress. I'm a level 26 or 29... I don't know (have a hard time keeping track, lol)... but I find that working on my blacksmithing so I could make myself some glass armor and a glass weapon, and then improving them all to flawless, has done me wonders. I just got to a point where that leather armor wasn't really cutting it anymore. Now I feel like I'm pretty unstoppable... most of the time. I still get pwnd when somebody just rails me with lightning.

Manco
12-25-11, 04:31 PM
In the Thieves Guild has anyone had other members try to pickpocket them?

I was talking to Rune when the guild member who came from a rich family crept up on me. I was listen to Rune babble on(I did kinda get the feeling it was a distraction while he was talking) when it caught me off guard when the guy snuck behind me. I was like WTF?! and moved away. He didn't get anything as turned back and hit pickpocket on him to check his inventory.

dvdsteve2000
12-25-11, 05:26 PM
I lost my follower (Illia) for about the fifth time now. I reloaded every time before so I could get her back, but this time I just let it go. I hit 3 dungeons/caves and was without her for about 5 (game) days, and when I went back to my house in Whiterun, there she was! She wasn't even pissed or anything, lol. I missed her because she is awesome in combat, but losing saves by reloading was a real drag. When followers get lost, will they always come back (as long as they weren't killed)?

DeputyDave
12-26-11, 09:48 AM
Yeah they will. If it is a House Carl then they will go back to your house, anyone else will return to their own stomping grounds.

A quick question, does anyone know how much damage the bound weapons do? I'm sure it's based on your skill but does anyone know the formula?

timewaster
12-26-11, 10:00 AM
thanks for the tips.
I've being doing 1/2 fighter 1/2 destruction-healing spells while wearing heavy armour.
i get killed very often with just 3-4 hits.
one hand i use destruction-healing spells, one had with mace/axe and it has not been working out for me.
i guess i need to upgrade my conjuration spells. been using the flaming atrioch and she dies very quickly now.

thanks dragon fly.
yes, i threw her head into the fire. but have 3 more which i just stuffed in my house because i thought they weren't needed anymore.
i just added one head (glemonril witch head) back into my inventory and still don't have beast form.
what else do i need to do?

Wolf359
12-26-11, 10:58 AM
Love this game and have around 80 hours played. Still though, there are a TON of broken quests...

Right off the top of my head, I have a flute I can't return, I have ingredients I can't give, I have a guy I'm supposed to follow that has disappeared, I'm supposedly waiting for a spell to wear off, and there is at least one door that the occupant never unlocks. I finally gave up and picked it, and he's never home...

Even in a game as huge as this its hard to believe these aren't caught in testing.

MoviePage
12-26-11, 02:16 PM
Even in a game as huge as this its hard to believe these aren't caught in testing.

It's generally a problem of sequencing. Most of those things work fine for 99.99999999% of players, but maybe quest x doesn't complete correctly or item y gets flagged incorrectly if you've done several hundred other variable things in just the right order to break them.

Poink
12-26-11, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure how they determine the strength of Bound weapons, or the "base value" of any weapon for that matter. Really wish they could have listed them as being say, 25 damage +xxx modifier for skill / perks.

On my character, the Bound Bow does 120 Damage with Archery at 100, all the proper perks taken, and wearing one of the Shrouded armor pieces that increases Bow damage by 20%-30%. The closest material weapon I have is an Ebony Bow (Fine) which with Ebony arrows does 95 damage.

Bound Sword only does like 25 damage with my One-Handed skill in the high 80's and all the modifier perks. Which is why I don't use it.

nickdawgy
12-26-11, 07:11 PM
I had a follower for awhile, and he just disappeared. So I hired another, and he got killed by an arrow two minutes into a cave I was exploring :lol:

I just finished the Civil War line of quests, and sided with the Stormcloaks.

About 102 hours in, and level 51 now.

superdeluxe
12-26-11, 08:37 PM
Have they fixed the issue about followers not progressing skills?

dvdsteve2000
12-27-11, 05:34 AM
Every time I think the game is getting too easy, I start getting my ass handed to me. This time it's vampires, ugh.

superdeluxe
12-27-11, 09:37 AM
So I just realized how bad ass Barbas is.

Yes he pushes you around and barks at you.

But this Guy Aggro's like a mofo. 3 Mammoths were hammering him for 10 minutes as me and my follower and shadowmere were hitting them from the back.

Also When I went to the shrine to activate Barbas quest, I stayed back and Barbas cleared out the whole cave of 4 vampires, including a Master Vampire. It was nice.

mugwump
12-27-11, 03:17 PM
I've been playing this really hit and miss over the past few weeks and I keep forgetting what I'm supposed to be doing so I broke down and decided to get the strategy guide so I can keep track of where I am and whatnot. Glad to see that the hardcover is back in stock as the paperback seemed too flimsy for long term use. If it ends up being a waste I can use it as a door stop.

Dragon Fly
12-28-11, 03:52 PM
So I just realized how bad ass Barbas is.

Yes he pushes you around and barks at you.

But this Guy Aggro's like a mofo. 3 Mammoths were hammering him for 10 minutes as me and my follower and shadowmere were hitting them from the back.

Also When I went to the shrine to activate Barbas quest, I stayed back and Barbas cleared out the whole cave of 4 vampires, including a Master Vampire. It was nice.

I've actually just grown accustomed to Barbas. He's more useful than not. Oh looks, a Dragon Priest? Go get him Barbas! What's that? A giant Dwarven robot? There you go boy!

I always let him attack and blast with Destruction. He doesn't take damage from your spells AND he doesn't turn on you. Ever.

superdeluxe
12-28-11, 04:23 PM
I've actually just grown accustomed to Barbas. He's more useful than not. Oh looks, a Dragon Priest? Go get him Barbas! What's that? A giant Dwarven robot? There you go boy!

I always let him attack and blast with Destruction. He doesn't take damage from your spells AND he doesn't turn on you. Ever.

Unlike Shadowmere..who does :(

Yeah Barbas is annoying..and all these comments about getting shoved off a cliff? Not that hard to avoid.

Dragon Fly
12-28-11, 06:43 PM
Unlike Shadowmere..who does :(

Yeah Barbas is annoying..and all these comments about getting shoved off a cliff? Not that hard to avoid.

He pushed me off a cliff once, and into a group of pissed off Foresworn. I got skewered from behind by a briarheart. It was kinda funny, actually.

The worst thing Barbas does is follow you into a room and trap you there until you can maneuver around him.

JasonF
12-28-11, 09:54 PM
yes, i threw her head into the fire. but have 3 more which i just stuffed in my house because i thought they weren't needed anymore.
i just added one head (glemonril witch head) back into my inventory and still don't have beast form.
what else do i need to do?

if you only threw one head into the fire, all you did was cure

the head of the Companions

You need to throw a second head in to cure yourself. I believe that when you do this, it warns you that you will permanently lose your werewolf abilities. If you do this, there is no way to get them back.

On the magic menu, check the Powers tab. If there's no werewolf form there ( and you've already progressed through the Companions quest to the point where you got the powers) it means you're cured and there's no way to get the powers back short of going back to an earlier save.

dom56
12-29-11, 12:28 AM
Bah, I don't need no follower when I can cast two dremora lords who I named Bill and Ted. :)

"A CHALLENGE IS NEAR"

"ARE YOU PREPARED TO FACE YOUR DEATH"

mewmartigan
12-30-11, 07:11 AM
I did a bit of exploring and kept getting my butt handed to me wherever I went with my weak armor. So I took two hours of my time and the gold I had and upgraded to daedric armor. It was easier than I thought and now I look all cool. I also upgraded my warhammer and bow to legendary daedric too. I feel like a bad-ass now. Bandits with no armor and one-hit kills now and those with armor are only 3 or 4.
I'm currently level 27 and have about 30 hours of playtime.

Oh, getting my smithing all the way up to 90 also got me quite a few level ups and a stash of perks that I haven't used yet. :)

I'm not ready to go tackle some of the quest I completely ignored while exploring. I am liking this game way better than Fallout 3 (which I enjoyed thoroughly).

daniel18
12-30-11, 09:32 AM
What exactly did the Empire do? Skyrim has always been part of the Empire; it was founded by a Nord. The Stormcloaks seem like a bunch of xenophobic savages led by a megalomaniac demagogue who can't even fully control his own city. Are there any Achievments that can only be gotten by siding with the Stormcloaks? If there aren't any, I'd rather start over and side with the Empire.

slop101
12-30-11, 10:26 AM
Well, since my character's a Nord AND we're in Skyrim, siding with the Stormcloaks was the only logical choice, really. It also makes more sense to be against the Empire with certain mission-arcs such as the Dark Brotherhood and some others.

superdeluxe
12-30-11, 11:27 AM
What exactly did the Empire do? Skyrim has always been part of the Empire; it was founded by a Nord. The Stormcloaks seem like a bunch of xenophobic savages led by a megalomaniac demagogue who can't even fully control his own city. Are there any Achievments that can only be gotten by siding with the Stormcloaks? If there aren't any, I'd rather start over and side with the Empire.

They bent over for the Thalmor and outlawed the practice of religion of the Dragon Warrior.

MoviePage
12-30-11, 12:43 PM

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the Stormcloaks in my view. My first impulse when playing the game was to side with the little guys and the rebellion rather than the Empire (thanks, Star Wars). Then I got to know Ulfric and his ways and quickly changed my mind.

And negative on the Stormcloak-exclusive achievements, the only ones tied to choosing a side can be gotten from either side.

slop101
12-30-11, 02:39 PM
What exactly did the Empire do?Oh, The Empire is also trying to execute you at the very beginning of the game - that's the sort of thing that's not going to make me want to side with someone, you know, the whole trying to decapitate me thing.

edstein
12-30-11, 05:12 PM
One thing I really like better about this game over Fallout is not having to repair weapons. I'm surprised they didn't include a hardcore mode like New Vegas considering all the food and drink available. I always skip over those items.

dom56
12-30-11, 06:42 PM
Finish the final of the main quest which was disappointed cause Alduin wasn't that hard a dragon to fight, I was hoping for an epic battle. Oh well, I'm thinking of making a new character and want to play as an assassin. Any ideal on what perks I should spent on a good assassin build?

dsa_shea
12-30-11, 06:44 PM
I am thankful that we don't have to repair weapons in this game. It becomes tedious and I hate doing it as I had to most recently in Dead Island.

Raul3
01-01-12, 05:19 PM
Can I now install the game to hard drive?

I googled a bit and couldn't find anything, if they have fixed that bug.

Edit: OK, just saw that was fixed with the 1.2 update in November 30.

nickdawgy
01-01-12, 06:29 PM
I am thankful that we don't have to repair weapons in this game. It becomes tedious and I hate doing it as I had to most recently in Dead Island.

They make you refill the soul charge but it's still better than repairing.

daniel18
01-03-12, 03:04 PM
They bent over for the Thalmor and outlawed the practice of religion of the Dragon Warrior.

"Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer". And an independent Skyrim would be taken over in a day if the Dominion were to come back. Though banning public worship of Tiber Septim goes a little too far, does it warrant fighting a war over?

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the Stormcloaks in my view. My first impulse when playing the game was to side with the little guys and the rebellion rather than the Empire (thanks, Star Wars). Then I got to know Ulfric and his ways and quickly changed my mind.

And negative on the Stormcloak-exclusive achievements, the only ones tied to choosing a side can be gotten from either side.

Thanks, I started over.

Oh, The Empire is also trying to execute you at the very beginning of the game - that's the sort of thing that's not going to make me want to side with someone, you know, the whole trying to decapitate me thing.

Wasn't that a case of mistaken identity?

mewmartigan
01-04-12, 07:42 AM
Wasn't that a case of mistaken identity?

If I remember right, the guards said "who are you? you aren't a stormcloak." and then the female said something like sorry, he doesn't get to go free. tough luck.

I plan to join the empire but and waiting until as late as I can. It helps that the General is the XO from Galactica :)

So i am finishing up the Dark Brotherhood, mainly to get Shadowmere. I read somewhere that you can use Shadowmere to up your one-hand/two-hand skills. You can just beat the daylights out of him and he won't attack you.
Can Shadowmere die?

I spent 1,000 gold on a horse once and he died almost immediately.

On a side note, I tried the leveling up trick with Hadvar once in Riverwood. He is an unkillable character and is just supposed to ignore you. After a few hits he started attacking me and when I ran outside the whole town was pissed at me. So I started from a previous save....I found its important to save before almost every decision you make, haha.

orangecrush
01-04-12, 09:18 AM
I ran into Sheogorath from Oblivion last night. That was a fun little surprise. It is too bad that the reward is as useless as it was in that game.

Noonan
01-04-12, 09:51 AM
Yeah, it's useless later in the game. I can be helpful early on for bear run-ins though.

orangecrush
01-04-12, 01:18 PM
Yeah, it's useless later in the game. I can be helpful early on for bear run-ins though.Will it work on Mamoths or Giants? I could see that being useful.

slop101
01-04-12, 01:19 PM
So i am finishing up the Dark Brotherhood, mainly to get Shadowmere. I read somewhere that you can use Shadowmere to up your one-hand/two-hand skills. You can just beat the daylights out of him and he won't attack you.
Can Shadowmere die?
I'm not sure if he can die from being attacked, but he can certainly die from falling down cliffs - it doesn't even need to be a huge fall. Though even when he does "die", he comes back after about 20 "days" or so.

Noonan
01-04-12, 01:26 PM
Will it work on Mamoths or Giants? I could see that being useful.

Good question. That's not something I tried; I always left them alone.

orangecrush
01-04-12, 01:31 PM
Good question. That's not something I tried; I always left them alone.Me too. Maybe I'll take one for the team tonight and try it out...from very far away.

MoviePage
01-04-12, 02:42 PM
Shadowmere can die from attacks if they're strong and fast enough. It's just that he has a lot of health and it regenerates quickly, so it's very difficult to do. You almost certainly won't have to worry about it if you're just using him for training your melee attacks.

superdeluxe
01-08-12, 11:07 PM
I had a hard time suriving the diplomatic immunity quest, so I just killed all the guards in the courtyard, then jumped the fence with shadowmere, when I got inside I had my entire party with me, no party no nothing, left out the door and fast traveled outta there

mhg83
01-08-12, 11:13 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9g_g7uYFWYw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

timewaster
01-09-12, 11:13 AM
how do you get the timeplayed on the xbox360.
i looked at the save files and it only indicates the current in-game time.

Noonan
01-09-12, 11:22 AM
It should say on each save file. While playing, go to the Load screen and it should be listed under each save.

mewmartigan
01-09-12, 02:08 PM
how do you get the timeplayed on the xbox360.
i looked at the save files and it only indicates the current in-game time.

On the PS3, you have to scroll down to the save file and then wait a few seconds. It doesn't show up immediately...

mzupeman2
01-09-12, 04:15 PM
I looked at my time on the 360 and couldn't believe it. I thought "I've probably put a good 25 hours into this game already, wow." But, after checking? 45. I lost 20 hours of my life in there somewhere, lol.

dvdsteve2000
01-09-12, 04:48 PM
Ugh, 128 hours and counting :(

covenant
01-09-12, 06:53 PM
I don't feel so bad. I only have 56 hours in Skyrim.
But I have 103 in BF3 :(

slop101
01-09-12, 08:09 PM
Yeah, you gotta pretty much double what you think you've played - I thought I was around 40 hours, but I was right near 80. I think that's because almost half the time playing is tooling around in all the menus like the items, map, missions, magic, etc.

Setzer
01-09-12, 08:47 PM
This is hands down the most time I've spent playing a game since the first Dragon Age. My character just reached level 40 and I haven't touched the main quest line since going up to High Hrothgar. I still don't understand how I couldn't get this involved with Oblivion. I'm going to have to revisit it once I'm done with this game.....whenever that may be. :lol:

I recently came across a bug where the game would crash to desktop every time I killed this Dragon that had appeared outside of Riften. I re-loaded the game like 7 times and it kept crashing right after I killed it. Finally the 8th time it didn't crash. I've had numerous dragon encounters since I started and this is the first time that happened to me.

nickdawgy
01-09-12, 11:54 PM
I'm over 130 hours now, too, and I barely touched the main quest.

I'm almost done with the Thieves Guild but still have to do the Dark Brotherhood.

Poink
01-10-12, 12:43 AM
I put a little over 100 hours in before I finished the main quest. The Dark Brotherhood was the best quest chain, in my opinion (of the ones I did).

I haven't played in a while, but I left off on the Civil War stuff. Guess I'll get back to it eventually, as well as the Theives Guild stuff.

Other than that, I think I might attempt to kill every NPC in the game that I can. I did a Fallout 3 playthrough like that once... only the "essential" characters were alive. It was such a lonely, lonely place.

Setzer
01-10-12, 04:14 AM
I'm over 130 hours now, too, and I barely touched the main quest.

I'm almost done with the Thieves Guild but still have to do the Dark Brotherhood.

That's exactly where I'm at...just about done with Thieves Guild. Can't wait to do the Dark Brotherhood quests.

MoviePage
01-10-12, 05:11 AM
Just to temper expectations a bit, the Dark Brotherhood questline isn't nearly as good as the one in Oblivion, which would be tough to match. But it does offer up some memorable sequences and good rewards.

mugwump
01-10-12, 07:42 AM
So I'm walking through a herd of mammoths on my way to a vampire cave when a dragon drops down and starts pestering me. Before I can even get my first arrow nocked one of the mammoths turns on the dragon and starts beating it to a pulp. Then a giant mudcrab wanders past and joins in on the fun. As they're finishing up their butt-whupping I guiltily shoot a few arrows at the poor dragon and then wander over to harvest its soul, bones, and scales. The stupid mud crab turns on me so I have to kill it but the mammoth just continues about his business none the worse for wear. Easiest shout unlock ever.

steebo777
01-10-12, 08:01 AM
So I'm walking through a herd of mammoths on my way to a vampire cave when a dragon drops down and starts pestering me. Before I can even get my first arrow nocked one of the mammoths turns on the dragon and starts beating it to a pulp. Then a giant mudcrab wanders past and joins in on the fun. As they're finishing up their butt-whupping I guiltily shoot a few arrows at the poor dragon and then wander over to harvest its soul, bones, and scales. The stupid mud crab turns on me so I have to kill it but the mammoth just continues about his business none the worse for wear. Easiest shout unlock ever.
I love batteling with a Dragon when a giant and mammoth are close. Makes it too easy.

james2025a
01-10-12, 08:11 AM
I have just gotten back into this game this past weekend. I was over in England since Dec. 5th and was itching to get back to play this after already putting in 90+ hours. Up to about 110 now and trying to get the Thief Guild tasks done. Finding them generally boring. I have reached level 81 and maxed out pretty much everything. Its great being able to go through this game and kick the ass of anything that gets in your way. This game is even better than i imagined it could be, and its just a shame that the lag on the PS3 can get so bad after a while. I am hoping they get that issue fixed sooner rather than later.

steebo777
01-10-12, 08:29 AM
I have just gotten back into this game this past weekend. I was over in England since Dec. 5th and was itching to get back to play this after already putting in 90+ hours. Up to about 110 now and trying to get the Thief Guild tasks done. Finding them generally boring. I have reached level 81 and maxed out pretty much everything. Its great being able to go through this game and kick the ass of anything that gets in your way. This game is even better than i imagined it could be, and its just a shame that the lag on the PS3 can get so bad after a while. I am hoping they get that issue fixed sooner rather than later.
What lag? I don't experience that on the PS3 unless I'm hauling ass on my horse across the countryside.

mewmartigan
01-10-12, 09:51 AM
What lag? I don't experience that on the PS3 unless I'm hauling ass on my horse across the countryside.

I haven't experienced any lag but i have had the game totally freeze the PS3 2 or 3 times in the past 2 weeks.
My save files are only 7MB or so and I have about 50 hours into the game.

Twice it froze on a load screen and once while walking down a hill. Each time I had to reset the PS3.

I have started saving after doing almost anything in this game and autosave has saved me a few times so I didn't turn it off.

orangecrush
01-10-12, 09:51 AM
Good question. That's not something I tried; I always left them alone.So, it doesn't do anything but anger the giants. I haven't run into any mammoths with it yet.

slymer
01-10-12, 10:34 AM

There have been a ton of complaints about the lag on the PS3, and I haven't really seen it either. Maybe every once in a while. Alot of people were bitching that it was unplayable on the PS3.

james2025a
01-10-12, 10:46 AM

Well my game saves are now 17mb each. Once you get above around 10mb you will start getting hit by lag i assure you (well after about an hours worth of play each time anyway). If there is a significant number of things fighting you on screen it becomes pretty much unplayable. If you turn off all the auto saves it helps a bit, but does not eliminate it completely.

slymer
01-10-12, 11:36 AM
Well my game saves are now 17mb each. Once you get above around 10mb you will start getting hit by lag i assure you (well after about an hours worth of play each time anyway). If there is a significant number of things fighting you on screen it becomes pretty much unplayable. If you turn off all the auto saves it helps a bit, but does not eliminate it completely.

Man, what a bummer. Not looking forward to that. Is there a way for it to be fixed with a patch possibly?

orangecrush
01-10-12, 12:37 PM
I ran into a glitched misc quest last night. Some chick from the bards college asked me to find a flute for her. That is great, I thought. I have your flute right here. Well, apparently I can't give her the flute and I can't drop it or sell it. So, now I am stuck with the dead weight :( I got the flute over 15 hours ago, so I am not going to be reverting to an earlier save. I hope the 4 mysterious gems I currently have won’t cause me problems in the same way.

james2025a
01-10-12, 12:48 PM
Man, what a bummer. Not looking forward to that. Is there a way for it to be fixed with a patch possibly?

Well i believe they are trying to patch the problem, but i think its gonna be a little wait for it coming. Not gonna stop me from playing this excellent game, just gonna have to keep on being patient and resetting the machine each time the heavy lag sets in.

Noonan
01-10-12, 01:20 PM
I ran into a glitched misc quest last night. Some chick from the bards college asked me to find a flute for her. That is great, I thought. I have your flute right here. Well, apparently I can't give her the flute and I can't drop it or sell it. So, now I am stuck with the dead weight :( I got the flute over 15 hours ago, so I am not going to be reverting to an earlier save. I hope the 4 mysterious gems I currently have won’t cause me problems in the same way.

You can't drop the instruments even after you finish the quests (which you should, the rewards are great). You'll be stuck with them for good. The Unusual Gems can be dropped whenever you want. I keep them all in a chest.

wlj
01-10-12, 01:29 PM
I ran into a glitched misc quest last night. Some chick from the bards college asked me to find a flute for her. That is great, I thought. I have your flute right here.

this made me laugh :lol:

sorry for your problem though.

orangecrush
01-10-12, 09:22 PM
this made me laugh :lol:

sorry for your problem though.I didn't see it until your post :lol:

orangecrush
01-10-12, 09:25 PM
You can't drop the instruments even after you finish the quests (which you should, the rewards are great). You'll be stuck with them for good. The Unusual Gems can be dropped whenever you want. I keep them all in a chest.:mad: I just read about the reward for this quest. Apparently it is known bug and there is no workaround. :(

Noonan
01-11-12, 07:35 AM
That's why I'm very glad I decided to go with the PC version. The console commands saved me from a few glitched quests; one of which broke the main story very early on.

Were you able to do the other quests for the bards? There's three instruments to get.

orangecrush
01-11-12, 11:15 AM
That's why I'm very glad I decided to go with the PC version. The console commands saved me from a few glitched quests; one of which broke the main story very early on.

Were you able to do the other quests for the bards? There's three instruments to get.I haven't tried yet. I plan on doing that next.

superdeluxe
01-11-12, 11:26 AM
Anyone ever have issues with followers fighting your other followers?

Once Shadowmere and Uthgerd got into, Shadowmere accidently got hit by Uthgerd (I think she was using a flame staff), and they started brawling, Shadowmere kicked Uthgerd's arse. Barbas was just running barking at the both of them. Annoying heh.

Then last night. I had esbern and Delphine with along with Uthgerd, Shadowmere and Barbas. Something happened where esbern started to fight with shadowmere, then barbas and uthgerd attacked esbern, then Delphine jumped in and esbern summoned a Frost Anaturoch. It was quite the melee, thankfully I just fast travelled away..and everyone forgot they were fighting each other.

james2025a
01-11-12, 01:27 PM
I am encountering a problem at the moment thats rather annoying. I have a bounty of 2000 in one of the main cities and when a guard comes to talk and possibly arrest me i seem to have no option but to fight. All my skills now are 100 and when i try to persuade he ignores, i try to pay 1000 gold and mention i am in the guild and they ignore, hell i even say i give in to arrest and then it comes up with another speech option saying "Whats the problem" and they dont arrest me and i am forced to stop the conversation and run. I could fight but i dont want the bounty to get higher. Its weird and a bit annoying. Will make future tasks in certain places difficult to do when i am being constantly hounded by guards. Wonder if i could just kill every single guard in the city? Probably not as they will no doubt respawn.

dvdsteve2000
01-11-12, 02:02 PM
I remember killing all of the guards in Oblivion, and I don't think they respawned.

MoviePage
01-11-12, 02:04 PM
Have you tried putting away your weapon(s) before approaching them?

mh4268
01-11-12, 02:26 PM
I am encountering a problem at the moment thats rather annoying. I have a bounty of 2000 in one of the main cities and when a guard comes to talk and possibly arrest me i seem to have no option but to fight. All my skills now are 100 and when i try to persuade he ignores, i try to pay 1000 gold and mention i am in the guild and they ignore, hell i even say i give in to arrest and then it comes up with another speech option saying "Whats the problem" and they dont arrest me and i am forced to stop the conversation and run. I could fight but i dont want the bounty to get higher. Its weird and a bit annoying. Will make future tasks in certain places difficult to do when i am being constantly hounded by guards. Wonder if i could just kill every single guard in the city? Probably not as they will no doubt respawn.

Markarth?

dtcarson
01-11-12, 11:02 PM
Totally stupid, hopefully non spoiler question.
Thieves Guild (I think). I am getting "jobs" from a couple of people in the guild. So far there are four types from one person, and either 3 or 4 from another. I've done the same job type a couple times. Is there a limit to these - as in, should I work them all till there are no more - or do they continually regenerate? Is there a benefit to doing them, other than the coin/skills I get from doing them?

MoviePage
01-11-12, 11:15 PM
Totally stupid, hopefully non spoiler question.
Thieves Guild (I think). I am getting "jobs" from a couple of people in the guild. So far there are four types from one person, and either 3 or 4 from another. I've done the same job type a couple times. Is there a limit to these - as in, should I work them all till there are no more - or do they continually regenerate? Is there a benefit to doing them, other than the coin/skills I get from doing them?

After you finish a certain number of those sidequests for each city (I think it's 6 or so, and it doesn't matter which type of quest), you'll get a unique, named mission for that particular city. Finish it and the Thieves Guild's influence is restored in that city, and residents will make comments about it. Finish the final quest after all of the cities are complete and the Thieves Guild is fully restored, along with a special ceremony and an achievement/trophy.

You can continue taking the sidequests for rewards even after all of that is finished. Keep track of which cities you've done, because they'll sometimes still randomly give you quests for cities you've completed. In those cases you can cancel the quest or reload your save.

james2025a
01-12-12, 06:41 AM
Markarth?

It is indeed. I get the feeling this is another small glitch. I have not had a chance to install any of the updates that have been made so far, so will give that a try and hope for the best i guess.

Wolf359
01-12-12, 09:51 AM
I'm almost 150 hours in and I haven't noticed a way to become a vampire, haven't even seen a mention of a werewolf and haven't even encountered the Dark Brotherhood! :lol:
I'm doing it wrong or its just because its a huge game. Guess I'll have to play it through again someday.

Noonan
01-12-12, 09:53 AM
There are a bunch of dungeons with vampires but I don't remember any missions involving them. You probably have the Misc quest to start the DB and just don't know it. Werewolves are part of one of the major storylines.

mh4268
01-12-12, 10:46 AM
It is indeed. I get the feeling this is another small glitch. I have not had a chance to install any of the updates that have been made so far, so will give that a try and hope for the best i guess.

I'm guessing you did the Cidnha Mines quest. The only way i've gotten past the guards caonstantly attacking is in the main quest Markarth can change hands from the empire to the stormcloaks, giving a new set of guards that have nothing against you.
Yes it's a glitch.

timewaster
01-12-12, 02:26 PM
I'm almost 150 hours in and I haven't noticed a way to become a vampire, haven't even seen a mention of a werewolf and haven't even encountered the Dark Brotherhood! :lol:
I'm doing it wrong or its just because its a huge game. Guess I'll have to play it through again someday.

werewolf is part of the companions quest line

darkbrother quest line starts will helping that kid with a ghost problem.
Then you need to sleep for the quest line to proceed.

I haven't encounter any quest to become a vampire either.

Wolf359
01-12-12, 03:39 PM

That explains that then. I've barely started messing with the companions story lines. Thanks.

glassdragon
01-12-12, 04:13 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YEMD28MMtNg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YEMD28MMtNg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

slymer
01-12-12, 04:29 PM

I think you just have to get the vampire disease from fighting a vampire. It's called "Sanguine Vampirism" and then it escalates into full blown vampirism if not taken care of.

mewmartigan
01-12-12, 07:23 PM
I think you just have to get the vampire disease from fighting a vampire. It's called "Sanguine Vampirism" and then it escalates into full blown vampirism if not taken care of.

Yeah, each time you get hit by a vampire you've apparently got a 10% chance of contracting the disease.
Once you get it, you have 3 days to cure it otherwise you are stuck with it permanently.

If you have it, you'll see strange things pop up on screen about the sun giving you a headache and a strange thirst for blood, etc.

I know this cause I contracted it...and looked it up....and cured myself because it would be hard to get anything done in towns (supplies/quests/etc) as a vampire.

nickdawgy
01-12-12, 10:21 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YEMD28MMtNg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YEMD28MMtNg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

:lol:

That was great.

james2025a
01-13-12, 09:18 AM
Well the lag is truly getting on my nerves now. File saves are above 18mb and the lag begins within 5 mins of play rather than the hour that i have slowly been bearing with. Checked the disc and it looks fine. Its frustrating now as even though my character takes a hell of a lot of punishment the lag between frames is sometimes as bad as around 10-15 seconds so to fight a group of people makes it difficult as just a single swing takes forever and then you are not sure if its connecting. This is ruining what was easily my favourite game in the last few years. Just have my fingers crossed the update this month fixes this problem at last.

FM
01-13-12, 11:40 AM
I'm guessing you did the Cidnha Mines quest. The only way i've gotten past the guards caonstantly attacking is in the main quest Markarth can change hands from the empire to the stormcloaks, giving a new set of guards that have nothing against you.
Yes it's a glitch.

I had the Markarth bug, but found a solution via google. You have to enter the Shrine of Talos, talk to the guard there, run outside, kill all the guards that attack, wait for 24 hours twice, and then talk to a guard about paying your fine.

That allowed me to get to the throne room without being attacked, but then the Jarl and his guards went nuts on me. The solution to this was to pickpocket a guard/other citizen in Markarth in plain sight; paying the bounty for pickpocketing clears your crimes in Markarth, allowing the player to approach the Jarl in his throne room.

superdeluxe
01-13-12, 12:53 PM
That explains that then. I've barely started messing with the companions story lines. Thanks.

For the Vampires

There is no Vampire Quest, You just have to get infected.

slop101
01-13-12, 02:31 PM
How has there not been any DLC info yet? Seems that within a month of the release of Fallout games there was DLC news.

orangecrush
01-13-12, 03:34 PM
How has there not been any DLC info yet? Seems that within a month of the release of Fallout games there was DLC news.I thought they said they were planning on doing less DLC for this than Oblivion. BTW - I discovered the joys of enchanting last night. Wow. I now feel like I wasted a number of perks early on.

slop101
01-13-12, 03:54 PM
I thought they said they were planning on doing less DLC for this than Oblivion. Less in #s, but bigger in scope, supposedly...

mugwump
01-13-12, 08:44 PM
... I discovered the joys of enchanting last night. Wow. I now feel like I wasted a number of perks early on.

I know that I'm missing out but I hate dealing with enchanting, smithing, and alchemy. I'm just playing as if my character is an idiot who couldn't possible figure that stuff out...kind of like me.

xmiyux
01-13-12, 09:07 PM
Alchemy is where its at. I love poisoning my weapons and swilling healing potions like they are water.

Also, invisibility potions rock.

orangecrush
01-13-12, 10:19 PM
I know that I'm missing out but I hate dealing with enchanting, smithing, and alchemy. I'm just playing as if my character is an idiot who couldn't possible figure that stuff out...kind of like me.if you combine alcamy and enchanting just right you can make it so any one school of magic spells are free, or you can create insane weapons and armor.

Wolf359
01-14-12, 10:35 AM
Finished both the civil war storyline and the dragon storyline last night. Approx 155 hours and level 42.

That's a lot of miscellaneous questing to reach level 80!! Think I'll take a couple month break and start a new character.

Sneak/archery was pretty overpowered.

superdeluxe
01-14-12, 10:49 AM

:bow:

What I have found overpowering is the ability to create a super team.

Your character
Follower (Mjoll-Tank)
Barbas (The Super Tank)
Shadowmere (Super Horse)
Esbern (Mage)
Delphine (Range/Tank)
Frost Anturaoch (Esbern's summon)
Shadow Assasin/Fire Anturaoch (My summon)

Wolf359
01-14-12, 12:31 PM
Thats yet another thing I didn't do in this playthrough. Never hired any help, used a dog or horse, and left my house carls all alone in the houses.

slop101
01-14-12, 12:45 PM
Sneak/archery was pretty overpowered.Yeah, if it's a sneak-attack, I can pretty much kill anything with just one or two arrows.

superdeluxe
01-14-12, 12:48 PM
Yeah, if it's a sneak-attack, I can pretty much kill anything with just one or two arrows.

Have Barbas and you can no longer sneak lol!

Breakfast with Girls
01-14-12, 01:03 PM
Have Barbas and you can no longer sneak lol!Barbas is a menace. After about the 20th time I was trapped in a room or pushed off a narrow ledge I told him to get lost.

Ginwen
01-14-12, 03:54 PM
Finished both the civil war storyline and the dragon storyline last night. Approx 155 hours and level 42.

That's a lot of miscellaneous questing to reach level 80!! Think I'll take a couple month break and start a new character.

You probably know this but I didn't for a long time. Leveling up is based on skills, so if you keep the same skills, I think you can quest forever and not get to 80, you have to use all the skills you've been blowing off. It was a bit of a pain when I got to 50 or so and started having to use 2 handed and light armor, but it added to the challenge, and when I got to something more or less impossible I had my usual stuff handy.

dvdsteve2000
01-14-12, 06:26 PM

125 hours in and level 51. I haven't really touched the main story, nor any major sides yet. I grab the occasional short mission here and there, like Mahrun's Sword. The next time I play I'm gonna start banging out quests I think. I usually just hunt unexplored areas, but I can't find anymore, lol. I have discovered 319 locations so far...how many are there?

dvdsteve2000
01-14-12, 06:31 PM
You probably know this but I didn't for a long time. Leveling up is based on skills, so if you keep the same skills, I think you can quest forever and not get to 80, you have to use all the skills you've been blowing off. It was a bit of a pain when I got to 50 or so and started having to use 2 handed and light armor, but it added to the challenge, and when I got to something more or less impossible I had my usual stuff handy.

Without intentionally trying, I've managed to get one, and two handed to level 90. The same goes for armor...until recently I was wearing a mixed bag of armor (because of enchantments) and they are both in the 80's at the moment. Yesterday I made a complete set of Daedric, but I'm probably not gonna wear it all until I can put two enchantments on it with level 100 enchanting (level 81 now).

mhg83
01-14-12, 06:43 PM
125 hours in and level 51. I haven't really touched the main story, nor any major sides yet. I grab the occasional short mission here and there, like Mahrun's Sword. The next time I play I'm gonna start banging out quests I think. I usually just hunt unexplored areas, but I can't find anymore, lol. I have discovered 319 locations so far...how many are there?

Around 536

MasterofDVD
01-15-12, 12:54 AM
I know I was mocked and ridiculed earlier because I wanted something as insane as an option to not accept new quests but god damn I'm just banging my head against the wall as I try to shrink my quest list. It's fucking impossible. I love the game but it stresses me out to no end.

MoviePage
01-15-12, 02:41 AM
Don't most quests have an "I don't have time for that right now"-type dialogue response when speaking to quest-givers?

Kedrix
01-16-12, 09:09 AM
It is funny reading all of these posts about level 40, 50 and beyond; logging 100+ hours in most circumstances. I've only played the game about a week, level 7 and I'd be surprised if I've put in more than 6-7 hours. It is possibly the most complex/daunting game I've ever played and in the same breath, one of the most awesome. I'm not even sure I am playing it the right way (if there is one), yet.

I will agree that sneak/archery are a bit overpowered as I had no intentions of using a bow except in certain situations. Currently, I am finding myself using it half the time. (A steel mace and shield is my melee weapons). Normally, you give me a bow in a game (like Gun) and I'm lucky if I can hit the broadside of a barn.

Unintentional funny moment, but did the Golden Claw quest before the Bleak Falls Barrow(surprised I didn't get some glitch) mainpart of the storyline, and when they asked me to go get the Dragonstone, I was all reaching in my backpack for it. Yeah, already went through the whole darn place...next!

Early issues seem to be mostly centered around carrying too much damn weight, I want to pick up everything (and I'm not talking about bowls and silly stuff like that, more like armor, weapons, etc) and I just can't.

The hardcover guide book (I'm getting it for about half of retail) should be in my mailbox tomorrow. I have been winging it, but I'm afraid that I'll be hindered big time later if I don't get a little bit of help. Plus it is a really pretty (& helpful) guide from what I've seen.

But seriously great game, one of the top ten games I've ever played. Probably top 5.

foxdvd
01-16-12, 10:03 AM
But seriously great game, one of the top ten games I've ever played. Probably top 5.

you say that only 6 hours in!?? That is like saying sex with Salma Hayek is the best sex you have ever had after having only put the condom on...

orangecrush
01-16-12, 10:06 AM
Early issues seem to be mostly centered around carrying too much damn weight, I want to pick up everything (and I'm not talking about bowls and silly stuff like that, more like armor, weapons, etc) and I just can't.

The hardcover guide book (I'm getting it for about half of retail) should be in my mailbox tomorrow. I have been winging it, but I'm afraid that I'll be hindered big time later if I don't get a little bit of help. Plus it is a really pretty (& helpful) guide from what I've seen.

But seriously great game, one of the top ten games I've ever played. Probably top 5.My advice is to only pick something up if you will use it or if it is worth more than 10 gold/1 lb of weight (when you first start out). When you get more money, don't pick anything up unless it is at least 20 or 30 gold per pound.

I found a great resource for making money from potion making last night. You can do a circle of Riftin, Markarth, Whiterun and Windhlem buying ingrediants from the sellers there. Each of the merchants who sell ingredients also buy potions. In Windhelm there are 3 merchants who buy potions. Go to http://bitemyapp.com/potions/ and you can enter in all the ingredients you have and it will give you a list of all the potions you can make that have a very good value. You can also enchant 4 different items that will boost your potions values. The more valuable the potion you make, the faster your alchemy will level.

Noonan
01-16-12, 10:16 AM
Falkreach has a great alchemy shop too.

Kedrix
01-16-12, 10:24 AM
you say that only 6 hours in!?? That is like saying sex with Salma Hayek is the best sex you have ever had after having only put the condom on...

Would most of us even make it to the condom if Salma was nude and standing right in front of us? I think not. ;)

Well heck in some games today, 6-7 hours in and you have completed over half the game. I KNOW that is not the case with Skyrim, but just the sense of the controls, depth and everything else. It feels amazing. Unless it becomes a giant glitchfest 50 hours in, I don't see that changing.

james2025a
01-17-12, 08:39 AM
Alchemy is where its at. I love poisoning my weapons and swilling healing potions like they are water.

Also, invisibility potions rock.

I remember in Oblivion a point where i managed to create a really high number of powerful invisible potions. I drank them all at once and i stayed permanently invisible. I mean i played on for hours and hours and it never ran out. Ruined that Save from that point on as it was no fun fighting when you can't even see your own arms.

Well i am surprised that it seems to be taking people so long to get to level 81. I was at level 81 in under 100 hours of gameplay. I am also sooooo bored with the thieves guild missions. Just doing them to get them out of the way now and finish that storyline. Saving the dark brotherhood until the end.

orangecrush
01-17-12, 09:01 AM
I remember in Oblivion a point where i managed to create a really high number of powerful invisible potions. I drank them all at once and i stayed permanently invisible. I mean i played on for hours and hours and it never ran out. Ruined that Save from that point on as it was no fun fighting when you can't even see your own arms.

Well i am surprised that it seems to be taking people so long to get to level 81. I was at level 81 in under 100 hours of gameplay. I am also sooooo bored with the thieves guild missions. Just doing them to get them out of the way now and finish that storyline. Saving the dark brotherhood until the end.Are you sure you aren't thinking of 100% chameleon in Oblivion? I did that w/ the mask from the thieves’ guild. It was awesome for about 10 hours (You could kill a guard in front of another guard and the second guard would do nothing), but got boring after that. It isn't really fun to get too powerful in these games.

Kedrix
01-17-12, 09:39 AM
Isn't it funny how that one alchemy lab up in the bandit towers (name escapes me right now) just seems like a meth lab? On the plus side, it's fun to kill a few bandits and then cook up whatever you feel like.

I'm at level 8 now, and I trekked to Ivarstead yesterday. Following the road it felt like it took me 3 times longer than it should have (and I am not wasting money on horses right now). But I finally made it. I really don't like Sabre Cats but they are getting easier to fight as I get better.

timewaster
01-17-12, 11:32 AM
when you do the civil war quest, will you loose people you can add as your ally?
I've been mostly using Farkas.
If i side with either imperials or stormcloak, will i loose him and all the members i got from the companions quest?

Darkfriend
01-18-12, 11:21 AM
when you do the civil war quest, will you loose people you can add as your ally?
I've been mostly using Farkas.
If i side with either imperials or stormcloak, will i loose him and all the members i got from the companions quest?

There are some minor changes when you side with either the Imperials or Stormcloaks but none affect your followers.

mugwump
01-18-12, 03:55 PM
I still haven't decided who to side with but as a Dark Elf those racist Nords are pushing me toward the Imperials even if they did try to chop my head off.

Noonan
01-19-12, 07:42 AM
I still haven't decided who to side with but as a Dark Elf those racist Nords are pushing me toward the Imperials even if they did try to chop my head off.

My Dunmer made that decision as soon as I walked through Windhelm. "Gray Quarter" is now the whole city.

mewmartigan
01-19-12, 12:29 PM
I wasn't going to pick a side....but thanks to a quest near the end that I couldn't advance...

I accidentally started an imperial quest at some point in my game. Then, when you have to get the two sides to meet at High Hrothgar for a truce, I couldn't. Everytime I would talk to the imperial general, the only options were about the quest i started. I had to finish it and join the imperial legion before the speech options for the truce came up.

It's okay though, if I had to choose I would have gone Imperial anyway.

steebo777
01-20-12, 08:22 AM
How exactly do I start the Civil War ques tline? It's the major story arch I haven't done yet.

MoviePage
01-20-12, 08:27 AM
Visit Ulfric in Windhelm or General Tullius in Solitude. Do what they say.

Wolf359
01-20-12, 10:10 AM
Patch 1.4 hopefully a week or two away with a ton of quest fixes. Great news.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/19/new-skyrim-patch-updates-detailed.aspx

Wolf359
01-20-12, 10:37 AM
Ugh, just noticed no fix for "Waking Nightmare" though.

wlj
01-20-12, 10:50 AM
i finally fired up my copy of Skyrim that i got for christmas. While the game is very impressive, I am just not in the mood right now. Probably because I put alot of hours into New Vegas the first part of December and I am burned out on that style of game. All of the bethesda games, at their core, are the same games just different stories. So I think I am gonna put it on the shelf for another month or so and see if I get the itch to play it. I am gonna get Dark Souls finished up and probably start up either Resident Evil 5 or Rage.

mugwump
01-21-12, 10:26 AM
I felt the same way when I tried to play Fallout right after finishing Oblivion. Just wasn't in the mood for that type of game again. You'll come around eventually and by then the patches should have things working smoothly.

Cardiff Giant11
01-25-12, 11:18 AM
Finally got my smithing skill high enough to create Daedric Armor and was able to improve it to Legendary. Wow this stuff is awesome, so are the Daedric weapons! Much stronger than in Oblivion.

orangecrush
01-25-12, 12:18 PM
Finally got my smithing skill high enough to create Daedric Armor and was able to improve it to Legendary. Wow this stuff is awesome, so are the Daedric weapons! Much stronger than in Oblivion.Do you have to use perks to be able to create Daedric stuff? I only ever see options for iron and leather stuff. I am at like 80 something in smithing, but haven't put any perks into that tree at all.

Noonan
01-25-12, 12:26 PM
Yeah, the smithing perks allow you make different types of armor. There's a path for light and heavy armor, with them meeting at deadric. You'll need 80 smithing to get it if going heavy and 100 if going light.

dvdsteve2000
01-25-12, 02:39 PM
You need a Daedric heart to make each Daedric item. I just started finding Dragon weapons and armor, and I'm assuming you will need a soul to make each Dragon item.

glassdragon
01-25-12, 03:17 PM
Ok, so apparently the big lag issue with ps3 and the save game file size was caused by the Bookshelves.

“Optimized bookshelf script in player-owned houses that would occasionally cause active scripts to lag and also cause an increase to saved games filesize (PS3).”

mh4268
01-25-12, 04:46 PM
You need a Daedric heart to make each Daedric item. I just started finding Dragon weapons and armor, and I'm assuming you will need a soul to make each Dragon item.
Nope, scales or bones depending on light or heavy armor.

dvdsteve2000
01-25-12, 04:59 PM
Nope, scales or bones depending on light or heavy armor.

Wow, that's easier than it is to make Daedric...I've been looking everywhere trying to find those damn Daedric Hearts, lol. I currently have 75 & 73 dragon scales/bones, I'm glad I've been keeping them instead of selling them.

MoviePage
01-25-12, 06:31 PM
The black market merchant at the Mages' Guild sells Daedric Hearts. I know I saw them at several other merchants throughout the game as well. The enemies in Mehrunes' shrine (can't remember the exact name of the location) are also a source.

All of these respawn after a certain amount of time. I think I ended the game with over 20 hearts, and that was after making a full set of Daedric armor.

dvdsteve2000
01-25-12, 09:06 PM
I save everything I find, so I did have a stash of them...I think I had 16 when I found out I needed them. Merchants never have enough cash to buy the stuff I want to sell so I just sort it out and put everything in separate chests in my house (Weapons/armor/potions/ingredients/misc.).

timewaster
01-30-12, 11:24 AM
i just got to the main quest where they ask you to broker a truce between the imperials and stormwind.
I am now starting the civil war line of quests. will this screw up my ability to broker a truce if i side with one of the factions?

Noonan
01-30-12, 11:27 AM
I could be wrong but I think it's too late to join either one if you've started that quest in the main story. Do Ulfric and the general still give you an option to join?

CaptainMarvel
01-30-12, 11:50 AM
I could be wrong but I think it's too late to join either one if you've started that quest in the main story. Do Ulfric and the general still give you an option to join?

Nah, I don't think it affects anything. I completed every other storyline before doing the Civil War story. The only effect I noticed was that the general made a comment about my decision to give Riften to the Stormcloaks.

In a lot of ways, that reflects one of my main complaints about this game. It seems like you have choices, but the game is really on rails. It's a fantastic engine, but the writing and plotting just ended up lacking. I'd love to see more talented designers develop content where your choices matter more.

orangecrush
01-30-12, 12:23 PM
Nah, I don't think it affects anything. I completed every other storyline before doing the Civil War story. The only effect I noticed was that the general made a comment about my decision to give Riften to the Stormcloaks.

In a lot of ways, that reflects one of my main complaints about this game. It seems like you have choices, but the game is really on rails. It's a fantastic engine, but the writing and plotting just ended up lacking. I'd love to see more talented designers develop content where your choices matter more.You have the illusion of choices, but I wouldn't say the game is on rails. You can play and have fun for 100+ hours and never do a main quest.

Tracer Bullet
01-30-12, 12:34 PM
For the 15 Daedric artifact achievement, does anyone know if you have to keep them to get the achievement? I accidentally dropped one of them.

CaptainMarvel
01-30-12, 12:40 PM
You have the illusion of choices, but I wouldn't say the game is on rails. You can play and have fun for 100+ hours and never do a main quest.

I really meant insofar as the plot goes. Yes, you can run around and explore, slaughter bandits, and fight dragons, but once you actually get into the narrative, you're funneled pretty narrowly. I can't tell you how many times I'd get 3-4 dialogue options, and through saving/reloading, I found they were all largely meaningless. The conversation always ended up the same way.

orangecrush
01-30-12, 12:52 PM
For the 15 Daedric artifact achievement, does anyone know if you have to keep them to get the achievement? I accidentally dropped one of them.I am not sure, but I do know that you have to make a choice to give the ax and the dog back to get one of them. The thing you go and get is not the artifact.

orangecrush
01-30-12, 12:54 PM
I really meant insofar as the plot goes. Yes, you can run around and explore, slaughter bandits, and fight dragons, but once you actually get into the narrative, you're funneled pretty narrowly. I can't tell you how many times I'd get 3-4 dialogue options, and through saving/reloading, I found they were all largely meaningless. The conversation always ended up the same way.That is true. But here you at least get to choose between 2 different things ;)

timewaster
01-31-12, 11:32 AM

yes. i do have the option and just started the quest line.
i'm up to defending whiterun now.

EDIT...
about 2/3 of the way thru the civil war quest, all of a sudden i got a completion for the part where it asks you to go to the greybeards to broker a truce... so it looks like you can't do both.

Noonan
01-31-12, 11:51 AM
Cool; good to know. When I start a new character, I'll avoid the civil war until after I do that main story quest.

mhg83
02-03-12, 03:31 PM
Got done with Blackreach came outside and what am i greeted with? Two Fucking Drangons! One was a regular Dragon and the other was a blood Dragon. Was Epic:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj184/mhg83/ScreenShot2.jpg

orangecrush
02-03-12, 04:23 PM
So, I ran into a weird thing in my house in Markin (sp?). I came back from a hard day of sorcery to find that my manikin was standing in the middle of the living room about 15 feet from his normal perch in the corner. It freaked me out.

I also started the Brotherhood storyline the other night. Did anyone else kill all three people after you wake up just to get 3 black hoods? Nothing says I love S&M like running around in the black hood with a Deardra Lord.

dvdsteve2000
02-03-12, 04:24 PM
I've had to deal with an Ancient and Elder dragon at the same time...loads of fun there!

dvdsteve2000
02-03-12, 04:25 PM
So, I ran into a weird thing in my house in Markin (sp?). I came back from a hard day of sorcery to find that my manikin was standing in the middle of the living room about 15 feet from his normal perch in the corner. It freaked me out.

Was his name Fred?
[Will Smith voice]Fred? What the hell are you doing out here? ...if you real, you better tell me!!! FRED!?!?"[/Will Smith voice]

MoviePage
02-03-12, 04:43 PM
I also started the Brotherhood storyline the other night. Did anyone else kill all three people after you wake up just to get 3 black hoods? Nothing says I love S&M like running around in the black hood with a Deardra Lord.

I did that, as well as
killing Astrid, which takes you on a completely different (but much shorter) questline.
I'm big on reloading saves and trying every possible path in this type of game.

orangecrush
02-03-12, 04:51 PM
I did that, as well as
killing Astrid, which takes you on a completely different (but much shorter) questline.
I'm big on reloading saves and trying every possible path in this type of game.Oh, I didn't even think to do that. Is it worth doing? I do have a save I can go back to.

MoviePage
02-03-12, 04:55 PM
You'll want to keep the normal route for your main save, but it's worth checking out that direction.

nickdawgy
02-03-12, 05:05 PM
I had to put this down to play FF XIII-2. I was just starting the Dark Brotherhood quests. Still loving the game.

mhg83
02-04-12, 07:56 PM
I just took down Alduin! He was too easy to take down I just Kept spamming him with Dragonrend and my sword attacks. It helped that i had a stockpile of health potions :lol:

I love the game but the combat is way too easy and the a.i. dumb. With the spoiler i finished the boss even on Adept difficulty! That's something i'd expect on the easiest setting.

orangecrush
02-05-12, 11:54 AM
I just took down Alduin! He was too easy to take down I just Kept spamming him with Dragonrend and my sword attacks. It helped that i had a stockpile of health potions :lol:

I love the game but the combat is way too easy and the a.i. dumb. With the spoiler i finished the boss even on Adept difficulty! That's something i'd expect on the easiest setting.You should up the difficulty. You are right about the AI though. With the right strategy, master difficulty is a breeze.

james2025a
02-06-12, 06:30 AM
Has anyone else encountered a problem with the Death Incarnate part of the Dark Brotherhood quests? I go back to the sanctuary and i kill all the imperial soldiers except there is one fighting against one of the dark brotherhood and when i try hitting him nothing happens. No sound, no lose of energy...nothing. They just keep on fighting. Its weird. I know i have to kill him so that i can talk to my fellow Dark Brother...i have tried reloading several times....but never progresses. I have not installed any of the patches so far, so hoping that sorts it out. If not....will be pissed.

covenant
02-06-12, 10:42 AM
If your playing on a PC, open the console, click on the errant npc, type disable and enter and then enable and enter.

orangecrush
02-06-12, 11:14 AM
Has anyone else encountered a problem with the Death Incarnate part of the Dark Brotherhood quests? I go back to the sanctuary and i kill all the imperial soldiers except there is one fighting against one of the dark brotherhood and when i try hitting him nothing happens. No sound, no lose of energy...nothing. They just keep on fighting. Its weird. I know i have to kill him so that i can talk to my fellow Dark Brother...i have tried reloading several times....but never progresses. I have not installed any of the patches so far, so hoping that sorts it out. If not....will be pissed.SPOILERS!@!!@!

I just finished that part last night and didn't run into any problems with what you are describing. Maybe try killing the brotherhood member?

On an unrelated note, I was fighting a dragon last night. I was laughing at his weak attems to kill me with his fire breath as I am practically imune to all the elements. I got a bit cocky and thought I would slash him to death with my dagger. He then grabed me Sam Jackson style, swallowed me and spit me out.

james2025a
02-06-12, 11:22 AM
Don't think i gave much away of the storyline there. I have tried killing the brotherhood member, but the same thing with him. I can't hit him or hurt him. Its weird. Will give it another try tonight, then download the patches and if that does not work then i will get a replacement disc. After all the problems with Oblivion when i had a 360 i thought it a good idea to pay the extra couple of dollars for the year warranty on the game.

mhg83
02-06-12, 11:42 AM
Skyrim Creation kit comes out tomorrow! Should be getting some good mods soon.

Kedrix
02-06-12, 12:54 PM
SPOILERS!@!!@!

On an unrelated note, I was fighting a dragon last night. I was laughing at his weak attems to kill me with his fire breath as I am practically imune to all the elements. I got a bit cocky and thought I would slash him to death with my dagger. He then grabed me Sam Jackson style, swallowed me and spit me out.

Haha, I was fighting a Blood Dragon atop the Eldermist Peak yesterday and while I didn't get swallowed, I did get picked up and thrown. I was also being a bit too cocky because he was so close to dieing, thank goodness for saves. (and a decent companion too.)

But honestly, that fight was only difficult because of a frost troll running about that was sort of fighting the dragon (deflecting fire might be more accurate) who decided all of the sudden he wanted to pick on me. I dispatched him once my companion realized I was being attacked. (Nice of him to notice since I was healing hands fairly frequently).

I'm level 22 (almost 23) and find myself barely touching the main storyline. My side quests and misc objectives are a mile long. It's like bloody WoW sometimes in that you get sooooo easily distracted. But in a good way. I already have 6 dragons downed and sneaking up on about 5 or 6 achievements for various things (side quests, misc objectives, pockets picked/locks picked, level 25, etc). Soooooo much fun.

mhg83
02-07-12, 12:40 PM
High resolution texture pack just released on steam!

covenant
02-07-12, 01:04 PM
High resolution texture pack just released on steam!

Meh, I've been running the Skyrim HD mod for a while. We'll see how it compares...

covenant
02-09-12, 12:15 PM
What could have been added to Skyrim:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AYOFLqItuW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
some of which may come out as DLC

http://www.chrisdamico.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

Noonan
02-09-12, 01:55 PM
Spears!

That seasonal foliage looks bad ass.

MoviePage
02-09-12, 03:15 PM
Everything in that video should have been in the game.

I especially liked the added features to lycanthropy and vampirism to make them...not useless, the combo magic, and the dungeon variety (moving platforms, darkness).

Kedrix
02-09-12, 03:47 PM
Everything in that video should have been in the game.

I especially liked the added features to lycanthropy and vampirism to make them...not useless, the combo magic, and the dungeon variety (moving platforms, darkness).

Added features to lycanthropy and vampirism, sure. Combo magic absolutely! (people give Fable III grief, but they did Combo magic very well). Moving Platforms, darkness? Heck no. That has bad idea all over it. The jumping mechanism in Skyrim is okay, but I really don't want to be put into a situation where I have to depend on it. And I've always hated too much darkness in games, the last thing I need is some vampire feeding on me and I can't even see him. Dark, sure. Darkness...or in all likelyhood, Blindness, I'll pass.

covenant
02-09-12, 10:42 PM
And I've always hated too much darkness in games, the last thing I need is some vampire feeding on me and I can't even see him. Dark, sure. Darkness...or in all likelyhood, Blindness, I'll pass.

I'd love the darker nights and dungeons, that was one of the first mods I installed in oblivion. Total immersion killer to step into a dungeon that hasn't been inhabited in maybe centuries and find every torch and candle lit.
Not to mention if your playing a Kajhit character, what good does it do to have the Night Eye trait if it's never really dark enough to use it?

mugwump
02-10-12, 07:31 PM
Play Two Worlds II if you want dark. Some of those labyrinthine dungeons were insanely dark and hard to navigate. As someone who likes to play on a plasma in a well-lit room I'm not a fan of overly dark settings.

I think I'm starting to hit the wall in this game. I'm easily distracted by the myriad side quests and have lost any focus I might have had on the main storyline. It's the same issue I usually have with RPGs. I'm some great and powerful dude famous throughout the land for my dragon slaying prowess yet I'm constantly tasked with fetching books and lutes for lazy-ass characters and I'm too weak-willed to say no. "Sure I'll pitch in and help with this whole Civil War thing but first I need to go grab this chick's flute out of a cave somewhere."

mhg83
02-10-12, 10:28 PM
I'm liking what i see for mods so far. Only one i have at the moment is "disable fast travel" mod. This way i have no temptation to hit the fast travel button :).

All other mods i'm waiting for a second playthrough. New monsters, new spells, tougher enemies, faster horses, invulnerable horses, fall of the space core look like good mods.

Anyone else using mods?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U7GPqReC2HU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kedrix
02-13-12, 07:01 AM
I'd love the darker nights and dungeons, that was one of the first mods I installed in oblivion. Total immersion killer to step into a dungeon that hasn't been inhabited in maybe centuries and find every torch and candle lit.
Not to mention if your playing a Kajhit character, what good does it do to have the Night Eye trait if it's never really dark enough to use it?

Good point. Still not my bag, but I do understand the appeal of a darker game. It's funny though that unless I'm in a "dungeon", I try to plan my quests around daytime (with certain notable exceptions). I guess I'm getting old eh? :)

Anyhow, it's been asked in here before, but I'm level 25 now and I finished Act I (at least the way the guide book refers to it) or rather all the quests leading up to Diplomatic Immunity. I would imagine this would be a good time to start Civil War now? I have not dealt with the main quest too much as others have experienced but done my best to try a little bit of everything. Still loving the game though.

covenant
02-13-12, 08:55 AM
Good point. Still not my bag, but I do understand the appeal of a darker game. It's funny though that unless I'm in a "dungeon", I try to plan my quests around daytime (with certain notable exceptions). I guess I'm getting old eh? :)

I do the same. I always try to get to an Inn by night fall. I can't imagine a person living in that world would want to get caught outside after dark. Someone should make a mod with nastier creatures that only come out at night, like minecraft.

MoviePage
02-13-12, 02:25 PM
Anyhow, it's been asked in here before, but I'm level 25 now and I finished Act I (at least the way the guide book refers to it) or rather all the quests leading up to Diplomatic Immunity. I would imagine this would be a good time to start Civil War now? I have not dealt with the main quest too much as others have experienced but done my best to try a little bit of everything. Still loving the game though.

Save the Civil War questline until after you finish more of the main story.

james2025a
02-14-12, 06:37 AM
I am still encountering those weird problems. I managed to progress further a little, but everytime it gets to a stage where i cannot kill a person and blows do not hit. I am gonna install the updates tomorrow, but i get a feeling that it might be the disc. I have returned to an earlier save and worked back through it and eventually the same issue keeps on coming back. One side mission i took i had to kill a dragon and none of my hits where doing anything. Its weird.

dvdsteve2000
02-14-12, 06:49 AM
How can you tell what the updates do? I have a glitch where I need these 3 amulet fragment to continue. Apparently I cleared a cave before I was supposed to and one of the fragments doesn't appear. I have the option to progress further in the mission, but I need said fragment to continue. It's like I have the fragment, but I don't...and when I go back into the cave to get it, a white marker 'floats' where the fragment should be, but it's not there. I'm hoping this gets fixed in a patch.

mhg83
02-14-12, 08:51 AM
How can you tell what the updates do? I have a glitch where I need these 3 amulet fragment to continue. Apparently I cleared a cave before I was supposed to and one of the fragments doesn't appear. I have the option to progress further in the mission, but I need said fragment to continue. It's like I have the fragment, but I don't...and when I go back into the cave to get it, a white marker 'floats' where the fragment should be, but it's not there. I'm hoping this gets fixed in a patch.

I did that quest before and had the same problem. Looked in the guide and apparently you need to complete an entirely different quest in order to progress on the quest you're on.

dvdsteve2000
02-14-12, 02:26 PM
I did that quest before and had the same problem. Looked in the guide and apparently you need to complete an entirely different quest in order to progress on the quest you're on.

Do you remember which one, I've been hitting quite a few lately?

mhg83
02-14-12, 03:23 PM
Do you remember which one, I've been hitting quite a few lately?

If you're talking about the quest "Forbidden Legend" you need to do the College of Winterhold quest "Under Saarthal"

mhg83
02-16-12, 05:39 PM
Conjure Rideable Ethereal Horse Spell (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=11235&searchtext=)

Get Drunk (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=11062&searchtext=)

Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=9106&searchtext=)

Ghostlier Ghostblade (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=10794&searchtext=)

Killmove + (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=10227&searchtext=)

covenant
02-16-12, 10:15 PM
Conjure Rideable Ethereal Horse Spell (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=11235&searchtext=)

Get Drunk (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=11062&searchtext=)

Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=9106&searchtext=)

Ghostlier Ghostblade (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=10794&searchtext=)

Killmove + (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=10227&searchtext=)

Love the sounds of skyrim mod, can't wait until the other releases.
The Falmer screams are eerie as hell.

SmackDaddy
02-20-12, 08:39 AM
Finally picked this up last week. I was waiting for the lag issue to be cleared up on the PS3 before jumping in. Well, that, and Xenoblade on the Wii was sucking up all my time.

Taking a break from Xeno, and Skyrim is certainly at least as much of a time suck. Played through most of Morrowind and skipped Oblivion entirely.

I'm really enjoying it so far. Mostly wandering around doing side quests and occasionally advancing the main story. The only thing I don't like is the behavior of your party members. They tend to get stuck and/or lag way behind. I guess Xenoblade has spoiled me since your party is always right with you, you jump off a cliff into a lake....they jump off a cliff and into a lake, not take the long way around and show up 10 minutes later!!

LorenzoL
02-20-12, 09:01 AM
Sorry but I thought they haven't come up with a fix yet for the PS3 lag. I read that the developers were aware of the issues but nothing has been done yet. Has this changed?

I have also been waiting for the fix along with a price drop but the cheapest I have seen was $5 off the retail price.

cruzness
02-20-12, 10:49 AM
I'm on the PS3 and I've never run into the lag issue. I always hear about how broken the PS3 version is and I have yet to see any glitches. I saw it on Amazon for 49.99 for one week after Christmas but that is it. I got mine from Gamefly for 44.99 and It was basically a new copy.

SmackDaddy
02-20-12, 11:09 AM
Sorry but I thought they haven't come up with a fix yet for the PS3 lag. I read that the developers were aware of the issues but nothing has been done yet. Has this changed?

I have also been waiting for the fix along with a price drop but the cheapest I have seen was $5 off the retail price.

The last update, 1.4 I believe, finally addressed the issue. This was the specific part from the update that fixed the issue, which was attributed to the save file was handled: Long term play optimizations for memory and performance (PS3)

edstein
02-21-12, 08:54 PM
Really cool interactive map for iPad and iPhone. It's free for the Holds but also has some in-app fees for interior maps.

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/02/20/now-on-itunes-skyrim-interactive-map-app/

slymer
02-22-12, 01:06 AM
I'm on the PS3 and I've never run into the lag issue. I always hear about how broken the PS3 version is and I have yet to see any glitches. I saw it on Amazon for 49.99 for one week after Christmas but that is it. I got mine from Gamefly for 44.99 and It was basically a new copy.

I never had an issue on the PS3 either and I put in around 120 hours. I'm playing it on PC now though. The mods are pretty neat.

jrsl76
02-22-12, 03:27 AM
Anyone have this issue:

I'm on the Blindsighted Thieves Guild quest at Irknthand. I met Karliah I Brynjolf, spoke to them, but Karliah went back outside of the Arcaneum, then I couldn't find Brynjolf so I started exploring the ruins myself (since my follower cannot come in apparently). I made it a good ways in then ended up right before the slave area to find a shitload of Falmer Shadowmasters and Gloomlurkers. They were kicking my ass A LOT, so I ended up using all my invisibility potions to sneak through.

I finally decided to check and see about the quest online and it's saying that Karliah & Brynjolf travel with you into the ruins, so why didn't that happen for me? Any ideas?

More Info: I ended up finding Bryjoff back at the Ragged Flagon Cistern, but he keeps saying the same quest stuff as if he were at Irknthand.

LorenzoL
03-03-12, 05:19 AM
I finally got this game for $40. I'll start next week when I'm on vacation.

cruzness
03-06-12, 12:27 PM
Have you said goodbye to family and friends yet? ;)

Swinger
03-08-12, 02:36 PM
Well, I just started this last night on PS3, and I have a major problem right from the get go. My old CRT doesn't support 720p and the game will only display in 480p. I can't uncheck that box in the resolution settings, either. It looks like crap and cuts off the left side of the HUD.

Noonan
03-08-12, 02:46 PM
Get a new monitor? They're pretty cheap these days.

Swinger
03-08-12, 02:56 PM
Get a new monitor? They're pretty cheap these days.
Great solution -rolleyes-. It works just fine for every other game. How about they support 1080i like it says on the back of the damn box.

Noonan
03-08-12, 03:13 PM
The box doesn't say what format the game is actually in, it's telling you what type of TV's can display it. A 1080i TV can support it but it doesn't mean it'll be in that resolution.

PopcornTreeCt
03-08-12, 06:26 PM
I just started to play this on Monday. I've never been so addicted to a game.

edstein
03-08-12, 06:48 PM
You're in for a long wonderful ride with his game.

mhg83
03-15-12, 03:42 PM
New Update:

NEW FEATURES

New cinematic kill cameras for projectile weapons and spells
New kill moves and animations for melee weapons
Shadows on grass available (PC)
Smithing skill increases now factor in the created item’s value
Improved visual transition when going underwater
Improved distance LOD transition for snowy landscapes

BUG FIXES

General crash fixes and memory optimizations
Fixed issue with Deflect Arrows perk not calculating properly
In “A Cornered Rat,” the death of certain NPCs no longer blocks progression
Fixed issue where Farkas would not give Companion’s quests properly
Fixed crash when loading saves that rely on data that is no longer being loaded
Followers sneak properly when player is sneaking
Fixed issue with weapon racks not working properly in Proudspire Manor
Arrows and other projectiles that were stuck in objects in the world now clean up properly
Fixed issue where “Rescue Mission” was preventing “Taking Care of Business” from starting properly
Fixed issue where certain NPCs would fail to become Thieves Guild fences
Fixed issue in “Diplomatic Immunity” where killing all the guards in the Thalmor Embassy before starting the quest would break progress
In “Hard Answers,” picking up the dwarven museum key after completing the quest, no longer restarts the quest
Killing Viola before or after “Blood on the Ice” no longer blocks progression
Fixed issue where Calixto would fail to die properly in “Blood on the Ice”
In “Waking Nightmare” fixed occasional issue where Erandur would stop pathing properly
Fixed issue where letters and notes with random encounters would appear blank
Fixed rare issue where dialogue and shouts would improperly play
Lydia will now offer marriage option after player purchases Breezehome in Whiterun
Fixed issue where if player manually mined ore in Cidhna Mine, jail time would not be served
Fixed rare issue with skills not increasing properly
Fixed issue where the Headsman’s Axe did not gain proper buff from Barbarian perk
In “A Night to Remember” it is no longer possible to kill Ysolda, Ennis or Senna before starting the quest
Fixed issue with the ebony dagger having a weapon speed that was too slow
Fixed issue with “The Wolf Queen Awakened” where backing out of a conversation with Styrr too soon would block progress
The third level of the Limbsplitter perk now properly improves all battle axes
Fixed a rare issue where Sanguine Rose would not work properly
In “Tending the Flames” King Olaf’s Verse will no longer disappear from explosions

http://www.destructoid.com/skyrim-beta-update-1-5-adds-new-cinematic-kills-223915.phtml