Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

If Amazon is selling a blu-ray with no release day does that mean its coming out?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

If Amazon is selling a blu-ray with no release day does that mean its coming out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-10, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Amazon is selling a blu-ray with no release day does that mean its coming out for sure? FOR EXAMPLE You'd think it must be coming out if Amazon is selling it.
Old 12-11-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: If Amazon is selling a blu-ray with no release day does that mean its coming out?

Originally Posted by Fromundacheese
If Amazon is selling a blu-ray with no release day does that mean its coming out for sure? FOR EXAMPLE You'd think it must be coming out if Amazon is selling it.
It's a placeholder for a probable/likely release, which isn't uncommon for Amazon in the slightest. That pre-order spot for Punch Drunk Love has been there since April of last year, I believe.
Old 12-11-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: If Amazon is selling a blu-ray with no release day does that mean its coming out?

From my experience, when Amazon adds pricing to their placeholder listing, it's usually a hint that the title is likely coming out in the next several months. Since Punch Drunk Love does have a list price, I'd say it'll arrive sooner than later. If you just see a placeholder with no price, then it's not on the current radar.
Old 12-11-10, 10:52 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
It's a placeholder for a probable/likely release, which isn't uncommon for Amazon in the slightest. That pre-order spot for Punch Drunk Love has been there since April of last year, I believe.
I still have PDL pre-ordered...Sigh. Hopefully Sony will license this out to Criterion since the work has been done for well over a year now.
Old 12-11-10, 11:17 PM

Would love to pre order The Birds, but there's no release date indicated so I held off.
Old 12-12-10, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's placeholders for TV shows that have seasons released already on DVD with no blu-ray in site. So I don't hold my breath for those to come out.

I once read that it was also a way to cast your vote for a certain title...the more people to sign up for an email to know when it's released the more likely it is for that title to come out. I don't know if that's true or not, or if the studios look to see what the interest is in any given Blu-Ray listing. But for movies I really want on Blu-Ray I always "cast my vote" in that way for it.
Old 12-12-10, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HMV has had Kenan and Kel Season 1 on the site for over a year, but still no news about it: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...1;-1&sku=42460
I'd love to know why it's still there if it's not happening.
Old 12-12-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
There's placeholders for TV shows that have seasons released already on DVD with no blu-ray in site. So I don't hold my breath for those to come out.
Most of those are current seasons so pretty clearcut they'll come out, but it'll probably be next fall.

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I once read that it was also a way to cast your vote for a certain title...the more people to sign up for an email to know when it's released the more likely it is for that title to come out. I don't know if that's true or not, or if the studios look to see what the interest is in any given Blu-Ray listing. But for movies I really want on Blu-Ray I always "cast my vote" in that way for it.
I think that's a different case, the sign-up-to-be-notified thing.