Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

The Tudors the Final Season shrinkwrap question

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 12-08-10, 05:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I ordered The Tudors Season 3 from Amazon for a family member for Christmas. I thought I would just top it off and get Season 4 (The Final Season) as well, and I got it for a good price off Ebay. It wasn't dirt cheap but it was cheaper than Amazon. The seller has a good rating and no complaints about Hong Kong DVD copies or anything in the seller's feedback. It was supposed to be brand new factory sealed.

My Tudors Season 3 from Amazon has the sort of flimsy plastic wrap that is easy to tear through. The Season 4 DVD I got off Ebay has a more sturdy plastic wrap with folds at the top. This makes me think it might have been resealed. What throws me off is it has a "As seen on Showtime" sticker on the outside.

Can anyone else who purchased the final season new tell me how their copy came wrapped? I'm concerned but the sticker makes me think it could be legit, and I don't want to open it and check the discs since its a gift.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-10, 01:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Tudors the Final Season shrinkwrap question

Does it say anywhere on the outside where the disc was made ? Because I've had a few dvds that had this flimsy wrapping that said made in Mexico on it. But they were official dvds. Did the listing say new or used/condition new ? The one thing that makes me think that this might be funny is the as seen on showtime sticker. To me, that would mean that the show was on several different channels and the version in question was the version on Showtime....if that makes any sense. Then again, maybe they just put that season out with cheap plastic wrap.
Old 12-09-10, 08:37 PM

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you or if you're understanding me. Maybe I'm not clear.

Season 3, with the flimsy outer wrap, was from Amazon. It has no stickers on it. Because its from Amazon, I believe its legitimate.

Season 4/The Final Season, with the sturdier plastic wrap with fold over at the top, was from Ebay. This has the Showtime sticker on it. The Ebay listing was for brand new/manufacturer sealed. Because the fold over type is what is commonly used when items are re-sealed, I was questioning the validity of that copy even though it has an official looking Showtime sticker on the outside.

The backs of both copies don't appear to indicate where they were manufactured.

To my knowledge this is a Showtime original show and it has not yet been syndicated to any non-Showtime networks. I've seen stickers similar to this for HBO shows on DVD. I think it's just to make you think that this is a special show you should buy on DVD if you're not already subscribing to premium cable.
Old 12-10-10, 01:15 AM
Banned

The one from ebay sounds as if it was opened at one time but never watched, or opened and watched only once and is in like new condition.
Old 12-10-10, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
The one from ebay sounds as if it was opened at one time but never watched, or opened and watched only once and is in like new condition.
Well, that would be a problem since I paid for a brand new copy. It sounds like no one here has purchased Season 4 so I'll probably head to Target and Best Buy and take a look at how they have their copies wrapped.
Old 12-10-10, 07:59 PM
Banned

I had a problem sort of like this. I ordered a dvd from a marketplace seller that was supposed to be brand new. When I opened it, the case was a 2 disc case but the movie is only a single disc. One side of the 2 trays was broken. But even worse, the dvd was upside down in it's tray. The broken part of the other side of the case was bouncing around inside and extremely scratched the dvd. Luckily, the movie plays just fine and the seller gave me my money back. But the dvd, though seemingly factory sealed, was in no way, shape, or form brand new like it was listed. I knew right away there was something wrong. The movie doesn't come in a 2 disc case. Don't know how it ended up in one, but at least it works.
Old 12-13-10, 02:56 PM

I just checked at Target and their Season 4/Final Season of the Tudors had the flimsy plastic wrap with a "Made in Mexico" stamp on the back, but it also had the "As seen on Showtime" sticker on the front. Hmm.......