Old 12-08-10, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Human Target -- "The Return of Baptiste" -- 12/08/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-10-07

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
When Ilsa's friend is held hostage, Chance must turn to the only person he knows has information to help rescue her: his archenemy Baptiste (Lennie James), who is currently banished to a Russian prison.

Episode 4 of 13

Sneak Preview:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v1hbJ5jf38Y?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v1hbJ5jf38Y?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 12-08-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Human Target -- "The Return of Baptiste" -- 12/08/10

Oh man, absolutely loved this episode (minus Ilsa's "You're worried about me." or whatever she said at the beginning and Chance's "Who's Capt. Harmon?" at the end).

Chance and Baptiste's interaction this episode was perfect; the thought that they respect each other, go at each other at a moment's notice, that they're always trying to outthink/outdo each other, but still work wonderfully together was great. And Chance's offer to work together at the end; they're great foils for each other, but imagine what they could accomplish together. (Though that "will they/won't they" about turning on each other, that could get old quick. I like it this way much better.)

I wonder how quickly they'll have Baptiste back again. (Is an escape in the cards so Chance has to hunt him or so he comes looking for Chance?)

This was as pretty much an S1 Human Target ep. Glad to have it back! (Still not glad about Pucci, though she was "essential" to this week.)
Old 12-08-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Much improved over the last 2 episodes. I liked how they incorporated Ilsa tonight (and she looked damn fine).
Old 12-08-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

This was a vast improvement. However, I didn't care for Ilsa, the girl of the week wasn't hot, and I didn't like that Guerrero was so quick to recommend thief girl (like she was his ne BFF). And that final shootout/standoff as they got in the plane was beyond stupid.

Minus those negatvies, this felt like a season 1 episode for sure. In fact, if Ilsa had just been a guest star, her involvement in this episode would not have been "offensive". It's more a baggage thing with her at this point. And Guerrero recommending thief chick would have come across as a random "haven't-shown-them-yet" ally namedrop. It makes me wonder if this was in fact a leftover script from season 1 that was retooled for season 2.

I sure hope there are more like this.
Old 12-09-10, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I liked how they incorporated Ilsa tonight (and she looked damn fine).
I dislike her LONG neck. It seems so out there.

This was a good episode. Chance and Baptiste are good together, either as allies or enemies.
Old 12-09-10, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Did Chance take the watch knowing that if Baptiste did escape he would come for it?
Old 12-09-10, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ilsa looked pretty good in that first scene...until they took the bag off her head. Seriously I did think she looked good in the second scene of the ep, back at the office with Chance. There was a shot that through some combination of lighting and makeup made her look pretty cute.

I thought the hottie of the week was cute too. It's too bad she didn't get much screen time. If they had cut out Ilsa's screen time and increased the time spent in field with the HotW then it could have been an S1 ep.

And, yes, that shoot out at the end was laughable. The whole scene had horrible stagging. The guys were shooting at each other from 10 feet away and then the plane was right behind the barricade, nose up to a closed hanger door for some reason. And of course none of the automatic weapon fire hits anything. I wasn't very impressed with the entire getaway sequence to be honest.

On the plus side, the bar fight was good.
Old 12-09-10, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Now that was a good episode. Still could do without Pucci, but outside of the forced chemistry with Chance she was at least tolerable this week.

The bar fight was awesome. Chance & Baptiste are excellent foils for each other. Not much to add, Shamus nailed it above.

I still don't like all the futuristic high tech gear at the home base. This isn't Chuck.
Old 12-09-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The best part, if you plug this SATA cable here, you'll have access to the satellites.

But good episode indeed.

Any Walking Dead fans watching? I was wondering about Baptiste the whole time, I mean, I don't want him to be regular here so he can show up in WD again.

And yeah, I know he's a guest star in a few shows.
Old 12-09-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

I enjoyed this episode as well, but I felt like it would have worked better as a 1.5 hour episode or 2 hour TV movie. I wanted to see more scenes of Connor and Chance trying to find Baptiste at the compound. Maybe True Lies style or something...haha
Old 12-09-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Knew I forgot something last night. Thanks goodness for DVR series schedules!
Old 12-09-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Probably something worth mentioning, this episode was co-written by Jonathan Steinberg, who is the creator of Human Target.

I'm about halfway done watching this, I'm chime in later when I finish the episode.
Old 12-09-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished it. Definitely a return to form for the show. This ep. had the dialogue going and the action cracking. I don't know why, as she normally does nothing for me, but Ilssa looked very good in this ep., much better than typical.

I am certain Baptiste will be coming back for his watch at some point in the future.
Old 12-10-10, 07:27 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DVR cut the very end off. Can anyone tell me what happened, if anything significant? It cut off about 15 secs after Isla walked up to Chance, when they started chatting, and she was all doled up for her date with the Harmon guy.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Iron Chef
My DVR cut the very end off. Can anyone tell me what happened, if anything significant? It cut off about 15 secs after Isla walked up to Chance, when they started chatting, and she was all doled up for her date with the Harmon guy.

Thanks!

They just spoke about what it feels like in the field and before the elevator door shut Ilsa mentioned she was going on a date while Chance looked shocked. Basically, it didn't do anything but try to further the unrequited love Chance has for her, and was the most superfluous moment in the ep.
Old 12-10-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by The Iron Chef

Thanks!
Chance said, "I know you're working for the Old Man", then Isla pulled a knife out of her handbag, but Chance disarmed her and snapped her neck in one quick move, letting her lifeless body crumple on the floor.

Oh wait, that's what I wish had happened. (my recorder cut off the very end too)
Old 12-10-10, 12:47 PM
Cool New Member

hanks, both of you. LOL
Old 12-10-10, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

didn't Baptiste get taken in by the FBI?
did I miss a line explaining why he was in Russia?
Old 12-10-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

They did explain why he was in Russia, but I can't recall from the top of my head what that reason was.
Old 12-10-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
They did explain why he was in Russia, but I can't recall from the top of my head what that reason was.
Baptiste was taken into custody by the FBI last season, but Chance mentioned in this episode that the Russians wanted him more and offered an exchange for him and that's how he ended up in Siberia.
Old 12-10-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They said at the beginning of this episode that he was traded to them. The FBI chick captured him last season.

EDIT: too slow.
Old 12-12-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great episode with some good action.....

I still do not like how much they are writing in their "boss" to these shows. It feels forced and truly does not do much for the show. Oh well...guess I would rather have it this way then not at all.
Old 12-12-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Finally finished watching this today. Pretty good episode. Mark Valley and Lennie James have great chemistry together and I thought all their scenes worked very well. Some good action and good banter between them. I didn't like the client of the week though. Besides the fact that she wasn't really attractive, there was really no personality for her. One of the strengths from season 1 was how Chance interacted with the clients and the chemistry he had with them and I didn't feel that with her. She was pretty plain jane to me.

I really want to like Ilsa as I'm a fan of Indira Varma, but all her scenes in this episode felt forced and awkward. She did look good though. The scene where she "flirted" with the military guy was groan inducing.
Old 12-15-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
the girl of the week wasn't hot
She was just as cute as the majority of the chicks on the show last year.
Old 12-15-10, 02:18 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Indira Varma is fucking ugly. She looks like a bird. She, and her character are killing this show for me.

Ditch the chicks, get Lennie James as a series regular.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.