Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

When Will Avatar Blu-ray 3D Be Released Separately?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Currently, the only way to get Avatar on Blu-ray 3D is to buy a qualifying Panasonic 3D TV or bundled with Panasonic 3D glasses. So if you already have a non-Panasonic 3D TV, you're screwed unless you want buy a second 3D TV or 2 pairs of glasses that aren't compatible with your brand of TV. I understand why Panasonic loves this deal, but wouldn't Cameron make even more $$$ if he made the biggest movie of all time available to purchase separately on Blu-ray 3D? Wouldn't that boost interest and sales in the whole format?

Anyway, does anyone know when Avatar on Blu-ray 3D will be released separately?
Old 12-05-10, 12:34 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: When Will Avatar Blu-ray 3D Be Released Separately?

Yes.

In 2012.

And No, I'm NOT kidding. You can thank Fox for pretty much saying 'Fuck 3D Growth'.
Old 12-05-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually, you can pretty much thank all of the stuidos that are using these crappy exclusive deals. It's not just Fox.

Look at the Shrek Collection. The Blu-ray set comes out on Tuesday, but the 3d set is exclusive to Samsung right now. What do you think Dreamworks will be releasing sometime in 2011 to the rest of us? Probably an upgraded Shrek box set!
Old 12-05-10, 12:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Actually, you can pretty much thank all of the stuidos that are using these crappy exclusive deals. It's not just Fox.

Look at the Shrek Collection. The Blu-ray set comes out on Tuesday, but the 3d set is exclusive to Samsung right now. What do you think Dreamworks will be releasing sometime in 2011 to the rest of us? Probably an upgraded Shrek box set!
I blame Fox because Avatar 3D would move lots of 3D capable TVs (not just Panasonic). The other exclusives...not so much.

Samsung has a 1 year right to every 3D title. So next year it'll come out. And by then, no one will really care as much (I just picked up all 4 for $30, I won't spend $100 for some 3D Conversions)
Old 12-05-10, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think amazon currently has this for around $400.
Old 12-06-10, 02:34 AM

I wouldn't doubt that the extended amount of time of the exclusive release is because of Panasonic. Remember that they were a huge sponsor of Avatar (meaning they probably put a lot of money into that huge amount it took to get made). They probably have a lot of strings to pull, here. They probably know that 3D isn't going to take a huge jump, right now. If they release it in a couple of years to the masses, when 3D prices have come down, then they will hope that it will boost sales, then, when more people are looking into going 3D. That, of course, relies on anyone caring about seeing Avatar in 3D by then. Unless they re-release it in theaters or come out with another Avatar movie (though I doubt one will be ready by 2012).
Old 12-06-10, 02:41 AM

Avatar 2 isn't coming out until December 2014

Last I read, the retail 3D blu-ray isn't planned until 2013. I believe this came from a HTF source during blu-con.