DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Universal's "Inner Sanctum Mysteries Complete Collection" $8.99 at Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-10, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Universal's "Inner Sanctum Mysteries Complete Collection" $8.99 at Amazon

Includes these Lon Chaney Jr. films:

Calling Dr. Death (Patricia Morison, J. Carrol Naish, 1943)
Weird Woman (Anne Gwynne, Ralph Morgan, 1944)
Dead Man's Eyes (Jean Parker, Paul Kelly, 1944)
The Frozen Ghost (Evelyn Ankers, Douglass Dumbrille, 1945)
Strange Confession (J. Carrol Naish Lloyd Bridges, 1945)
Pillow of Death (Brenda Joyce, J. Edward Bromberg, 1945)

Great price, but use the Amazon link on this DVD talk review page so the site benefits:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/23810...ie-collection/
Old 12-01-10, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Universal's "Inner Sanctum Mysteries Complete Collection" $8.99 at Amazon

If only they offered free shipping on some orders under $25. This is a great deal.
Old 12-01-10, 11:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by pbishop69
I have a BRAND NEW copy of the INNER SANCTUM MYSTERIES on dvd. $12 shipped! Better than Amazon's price! Check me out at the DVDEXCHANGE thread.
I think you've been here long enough to know that you're not supposed to do that.
Old 12-01-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mhanlen1
If only they offered free shipping on some orders under $25. This is a great deal.
Agree 100%. I bookmarked the listing in hopes something else comes up I want.
Old 12-02-10, 06:34 AM
Banned

This is a great price (I got two copies)...as far as shipping goes, I believe Amazon is still offering a free trial for Amazon Prime, although I don't know if the 3-month trial is still valid. If you can find a free trial for Amazon Prime during Black Friday, you can get all those lightning deals (unless they're out of stock) within two days...sometimes the next day. No minimum order. Just a tip for next year.

Our UPS guy & regular mailman have been going crazy with all the boxes coming in. Good thing the UPS guy has a cute blonde chick as a trainee helping him out.
Old 12-02-10, 06:42 AM

This series is really entertaining. If I didn't already own it, I wouldn't hesitate at that price.
Old 12-11-10, 09:15 PM

Well I found other movies I wanted and put together an order over $25. I got this and Quantum of Solace and Let the Right One In on Blu-ray too. FYI, as of this post it's still $8.99 on Amazon.
Old 12-16-10, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They've now added this title to their free ship no minimum offer. I bit. I'm in an Amazon sales tax state, but still came in under $10. Thanks to the op!
Old 12-16-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ordered one too because of the free shipping
Old 12-24-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks again to the op on this one. I'd never heard of nor seen these before, & in fact wasn't aware of any LCJ major studio films other then the Wolfman series.

For me, these fall into Ed Wood type territory which is a genre I tend to enjoy! Chaney JR is so 1 dimensional an actor that he's unintentionally hilarious.

One of my better buys this year, 6 films that I actually watched all the way through for under $10.
Old 12-25-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

These films take a real drubbing in the better reference books (e.g. UNIVERSAL HORRORS from McFarland and the OVERLOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA OF HORROR) but I found them all to be very entertaining and it's a joy to see such forgotten B films get a very nice pressed release. As I do with every title that doesn't include them, however, I wish the trailers were there so we could see what lengths Universal went to in hyping these sorry flicks beyond all proportion.
Old 12-25-10, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
These films take a real drubbing in the better reference books (e.g. UNIVERSAL HORRORS from McFarland and the OVERLOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA OF HORROR) but I found them all to be very entertaining and it's a joy to see such forgotten B films get a very nice pressed release.
I've had the Sci-Fi edition for a few years now and love it. Recently I went looking for the horror version, and had a hard time finding a reasonably priced edition. Anywhere from $80-$500 is wanted for the "Overlook" Edition. I found out there are several other pressings of this... including one dubbed Aurum and the other has Jack Nicholson's Jack Torrance on the Front. I found the Shining cover is the cheapest of the editions, although it only goes up until 1984. Otherwise the internals are exactly the same. I'd like the Overlook version, but I'm happy the one I have was only $10 on Amazon.
Old 12-25-10, 06:21 PM

For me, these fall into Ed Wood type territory which is a genre I tend to enjoy! Chaney JR is so 1 dimensional an actor that he's unintentionally hilarious.
He'd need to add a dimension to even be 1 dimensional...hard to believe it since his father was who he was.
Old 12-25-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. Calamari
He'd need to add a dimension to even be 1 dimensional...hard to believe it since his father was who he was.
100% agree!
Old 12-26-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had the Sci-Fi edition for a few years now and love it. Recently I went looking for the horror version, and had a hard time finding a reasonably priced edition. Anywhere from $80-$500 is wanted for the "Overlook" Edition. I found out there are several other pressings of this... including one dubbed Aurum and the other has Jack Nicholson's Jack Torrance on the Front. I found the Shining cover is the cheapest of the editions, although it only goes up until 1984. Otherwise the internals are exactly the same. I'd like the Overlook version, but I'm happy the one I have was only $10 on Amazon.
Please tell me more about these other versions. I had no idea they were out there. I picked up the Overlook a little over a year ago at Amazon Marketplace. I paid about $40 for it, but when it arrived it had a cracked spine, so I complained and asked for half my money back, which I got. I thought I got a relatively good deal for $20 given what the book normally sells for, but because of the condition, it must be handled with care or it will split. I don't care about the format, just the writing inside, so if I could get a more stable copy from another publisher, I would replace my fragile Overlook copy.
Old 12-26-10, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Please tell me more about these other versions. I had no idea they were out there. I picked up the Overlook a little over a year ago at Amazon Marketplace. I paid about $40 for it, but when it arrived it had a cracked spine, so I complained and asked for half my money back, which I got. I thought I got a relatively good deal for $20 given what the book normally sells for, but because of the condition, it must be handled with care or it will split. I don't care about the format, just the writing inside, so if I could get a more stable copy from another publisher, I would replace my fragile Overlook copy.
Here's where I bought my copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-H...3386065&sr=8-1

You might want to email the sellers about condition of the copy they're selling. The only 2 drawbacks are the cover art (i like the overlooks cover better) and that these are early printings of the book, so they only go up until 1985ish. One very odd thing I noticed about this, is the glaring omission of Dawn of the Dead, and I wondered if the later Overlook Editions contained an entry for Dawn of the Dead. What's weird is that it has "Day of ..." and "Night of ..." and even mentions Dawn in some other entries, but doesn't contain one for it.

Anyway, over in Europe this Encyclopedia is known As the Aurum Encyclopedia of Horror. You may be able to do some international ebay or google shopping to track this one down. I'm unsure of exactly how the aurum cover art looks, but there are later pressings (up until the mid-90s) of that edition.

Some of the Amazon and online entries don't contain pictures, so another way you can be sure is looking for the names Tom Milne and/or Phil Hardy.

Here's a hardcover edition, where the artwork looks better. $24 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNIVERSAL-MONSTE...item5d2cc02025

Last edited by mhanlen1; 12-26-10 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-27-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank you so much for all the information and the links! I will see if I can track down a copy that is more sturdy than mine.

I too wonder at some of the omissions in the OVERLOOK. I've come across a handful that really surprised me. I'll check my copy to see if DAWN was included in it.
Old 06-10-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is now $5.64, fulfilled by Amazon.
Old 06-10-11, 10:53 PM

And I found a seller who had it new for $4.55 plus shipping! Thanks for the heads up, I have only seen one of the films before!
Old 06-16-11, 09:25 AM

This is down to $4.83.
Old 06-16-11, 02:57 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Ordered it for $4.98 last night -- most of the Amazon fulfillment sellers were showing less than 10 in stock, so I didn't want to play "wait-and-see" when the price was already this low.

I paired this with a pre-order due in November and got FSSS. Of course, they are going ahead and shipping this set now. If a better deal comes along on my pre-order in a few months and I choose to cancel it, will Amazon come back and bill me full shipping charges on this set? I assume so, but it's still a good deal even with the shipping.
Old 06-16-11, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b
If a better deal comes along on my pre-order in a few months and I choose to cancel it, will Amazon come back and bill me full shipping charges on this set?
No, in my experience they will not. This has happened to me several times.