Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (Available Burn-On-Demand From Amazon)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-30-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TVShowsOnDVD
Since 2001, and as recently as just a month ago, DVD releases of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson have steadily been made available in a number of ways, including direct-sales, "club" offers, and of course via traditional in-store retail channels. All have been deftly handled by the fine folks at Respond2 Entertainment, but their biggest obstacle all along has been that there is just SO MUCH material to release! And some fans want it all, and others want to focus in on their favorite episodes, or episodes containing their favorite moments or guests. How do you overcome an obstacle like that? Well, it seems that Respond2 has teamed up with Amazon's CreateSpace program to come up with a solution: you try to put as much of it as possible on DVD, but in a way that lets the fans pick-and-choose or themselves which episodes to purchase!

Today Amazon/CreateSpace and Respond2 Entertainment have announced that beginning immediately Amazon is exclusively selling manufacture-on-demand (MOD) releases of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson on DVD, produced using the CreateSpace DVD-on-Demand program. Each disc contains selected (and legally clear-able) scenes from the named episode, roughly a half-hour's worth of material per DVD, at $12.99 apiece.

Expressing pride in working with Respond2 Entertainment on this project, CreateSpace managing director Dana LoPiccolo-Giles said they "are delighted to provide customers with the opportunity to relive some of their favorite Tonight Show moments with the undisputed king of late-night TV for more than 30 years." Over 50 episodes are represented in the titles available to order right away (you can use either the above-provided link, or the button link below) and additional DVD releases of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson are expected to be available at Amazon.com through CreateSpace in the coming months. Immediately below is a selected portion of today's press release heralding the official announcement, and at bottom you'll find a sample package cover from The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson - Show Date 12/31/65 (the earliest episode represented among these MOD releases, three years after Carson's debut on the program).

The legacy lives on! CreateSpace, part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies, and Respond2 Entertainment today announced that they will release highly anticipated classic TV series content on DVD. A broad array of individual episodes from "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson", that spans four decades of the show, are newly available for sale on DVD exclusively via CreateSpace's DVD on Demand technology. In addition, the titles will be offered for digital sale through Amazon Video On Demand.

The unique CreateSpace DVD on Demand platform allows networks, studios and marketers such as Respond2 Entertainment to bring their TV content to a broad consumer base in a quick and cost-effective way since titles are manufactured only in direct response to customer demand. In addition, CreateSpace can distribute a wide range of content on-demand through Amazon.com and other channels, including Amazon Video On Demand.

"We are very excited to expand our title selection with CreateSpace to include individual episodes of 'The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson,' " said Brian Hepner, director of Sales & Marketing, Respond2 Entertainment. "Each and every fan of this timeless show has their own unique list of favorites - from individual guest appearances to specific show dates - and now they will be able to enjoy the episodes that they desire most."

The debut release of "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" marks the first time that the show has been released in individual episode format. Spanning 1965 to 1990, the first wave includes 56 original shows representing the life of the remarkable, long-running series. Customers can select the programs with their favorite celebrities of the time - from Frank Sinatra, Bette Midler and The Jackson 5 to Burt Reynolds, Dom DeLuise and Muhammad Ali among many others - as they get reacquainted with unforgettable regular features such as Carson's Carnac the Magnificent, animal handler Jim Fowler and loyal sidekick Ed McMahon.

With an average nightly audience of nearly 12 million viewers, Carson enjoyed an amazing run through seven American presidents, from John F. Kennedy to George H.W. Bush, and eight Emmys. To this day, few entertainers have achieved the iconic status of Carson - and none have been more warmly adopted by American audiences.

Here's the link to the TVShowsOnDVD.com story and here's the link to the Amazon page.

I'm only starting these threads because I figure someone might find some use out of the programs and to draw attention to a disturbing trend in the state of home media.

And I take back what I said in the Mister Roger's Neighborhood thread. At $12.99 for selected scenes of episodes, this is an even bigger ripoff.
Old 11-30-10, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (Available Burn-On-Demand From Amazon)

I believe they're starting with the same edited episodes included with the recent box set. According to user reviews on the Amazon site, the editing at times is quite haphazard and picture quality varies greatly.I have purchased many Warner Archive releases. 30 minutes at $13 = PASS
Old 12-01-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (Available Burn-On-Demand From Amazon)

I think I would pay for Paul Williams's appearance in full Battle for the Planet of the Apes makeup, which I haven't seen since 1973, but not much else.
Old 12-01-10, 02:15 PM
Banned

Unfortunately, none of the episodes they have out are any that I'm even remotely interested in. I want the one with Tonto from The Lone Ranger where he throws the tomahawk into the crotch of the outline man drawn on the boards. Very funny.
Old 12-01-10, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Unfortunately, none of the episodes they have out are any that I'm even remotely interested in. I want the one with Tonto from The Lone Ranger where he throws the tomahawk into the crotch of the outline man drawn on the boards. Very funny.
The guest was Ed Ames who played Mingo on the Daniel Boone Show,not Jay Silverheels who played Tonto. Never the less a classic. "I didn't know you were Jewish ."-said Johnny
Old 12-01-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

MOD is perfect for something like this, but for the entire episode, not highlights. This and Mister Rogers will die quick deaths or will see sharp price reductions.
Old 12-01-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
This clip is included on The Ultimate Johnny Carson Collection 3-disc set released several years ago (and recently reissued with revised packaging). You don't get whole shows on these, but you get a lot of classic moments. Still, best to find it cheap if possible.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068WS7/
Old 12-01-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pizza
MOD is perfect for something like this, but for the entire episode, not highlights. This and Mister Rogers will die quick deaths or will see sharp price reductions.
Yeah, I actually have less of a problem with these types of MOD releases because there's no realistic way to release season sets or volumes. Letting people pick and choose their favourite episodes seems like a reasonable solution. However, the price point for these is outrageous and is my main criticism.

All of those Nickelodeon releases though are awful candidates for a MOD program. The shows have long since concluded their runs, have loyal fanbases, don't actually have all that many seasons, and could probably make a decent profit on a complete series set.
Old 12-01-10, 05:36 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 30 minute versions are an even bigger ripoff when you consider that in the 1960s a typical hour-long American show would run for 51 minutes excluding advertisements (that figure according to Wikipedia). I can understand if they need to cut a musical number, but what's the other 15-18 minutes they're cutting?
Old 12-01-10, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the episodes were uncut and we had an opportunity to get 4 episodes per disc (of our choice) then this might be worth considering. For the price and the content offered? No thanks.

And I cannot understand why they would need to cut a musical number. OK, I understand that money hungry record companies want their money for the songs on the DVD, but the musical performance was always to promote a new album at the time. You would think the music industry would WANT those performances out there to further promote the old albums to new viewers. And the music industry wonders why they are dying...they charge money for rights on a DVD that would use the song to promote the actual artist/album!
Old 12-01-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unfortunately, this going to be the standard for many titles being released not to the stores, but through this horrible service of Amazon's. Why would we need more Johnny Carson stuff on DVD?
Old 12-01-10, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoever thought up this plan should get out of your car and cut off your Slauson.

We want complete, uncut episodes! Why is that so hard for "the Industry" to understand? The King of Late Night deserves no less, and music rights be damned!!
Old 12-01-10, 10:11 PM

The conversion on the Tonight Show box set which recently came out was so bad, I emailed the company about it... it isn't a problem with the masters, but their DVD conversion and it is both awful and annoying to sit through and they refuse to admit it is their mistake.
Old 12-02-10, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
The 30 minute versions are an even bigger ripoff when you consider that in the 1960s a typical hour-long American show would run for 51 minutes excluding advertisements (that figure according to Wikipedia). I can understand if they need to cut a musical number, but what's the other 15-18 minutes they're cutting?
In the 60s the Tonight Show was 90min. so 45min. is cut.
Old 12-02-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

They'd probably make a lot more money making every one of these pseudo-episodes available for streaming at a buck or two a pop. After all, they'll probably end up there in the long run . . .
Old 12-02-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I'd be a lot more interested in getting some of these if they were full episodes or at least close to full (minus music acts that they can't clear and such). Considering the old episodes ran an hour and a half though that's a lot of show missing.

I wish some modern late night shows would do this too (Letterman, Conan, Ferguson).

Last edited by Mike86; 12-02-10 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-02-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulNJ21
The conversion on the Tonight Show box set which recently came out was so bad, I emailed the company about it... it isn't a problem with the masters, but their DVD conversion and it is both awful and annoying to sit through and they refuse to admit it is their mistake.

I agree...the three-disc version (mentioned a few posts up) is a MUCH better set, albeit with much less footage (and no complete shows). Lucky I hung onto that, even though I ordered the new boxed set.
Old 12-03-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Doesn't it contain his final two shows in their entirety?
Old 12-03-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I wish some modern late night shows would do this too (Letterman, Conan, Ferguson).
I would LOVE to see old classic Letterman again. It seems like it's been ages since Trio carried the show and nobody has picked up the rights to it for some reason.

But I disagree that other shows should follow this sales plan. It's a hard sell to anybody except a hard core fan to pay $13 per episode. Even if it was uncut.

I would rather see Letterman release a massive box set of his early shows from Late Nite. Music included.
Old 12-03-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I would LOVE to see old classic Letterman again. It seems like it's been ages since Trio carried the show and nobody has picked up the rights to it for some reason.

But I disagree that other shows should follow this sales plan. It's a hard sell to anybody except a hard core fan to pay $13 per episode. Even if it was uncut.

I would rather see Letterman release a massive box set of his early shows from Late Nite. Music included.
Well maybe not per episode but I'd like to see best of say 2010 or something for shows like this. Maybe have the hosts pick favorite episodes from the year or their favorite interviews, segments and stuff like that.
Old 12-05-10, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
In the 1970's also.

The show didn't change to 60 minutes until 1980.
Old 12-05-10, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07

If I'm not mistaken, Letterman doesn't have any control over the shows from the "Late Night" era, NBC still owns all the rights. He didn't gain complete control over his shows until after his move to CBS.
Old 12-06-10, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Isn't these MOD/CreateSpace versions similar to what aired on the TV called Carson's Comedy Classics?
Old 12-06-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
It was 90 minutes throughout the 70's as well, when I was watching every single show if I could. The 60 minute shows didn't come until the very end of Carson's run.

This is a joke, of course. The could make untold millions if they released all episodes, in full, through iTunes at $1.99 a pop. Zero distribution costs for Carson productions. Why this is so difficult to understand is beyond me. I guess they are waiting until all Johnny Carson fans die off or are too old to care before they release them.
Old 12-15-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/47169...-05-04-77-the/

Thank you Jason, thank you.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.