Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

ALIAS to Blu-ray?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

ALIAS to Blu-ray?

Old 11-25-10, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ALIAS to Blu-ray?

I've just started re-watching the series on DVD. Was it all shot for HD broadcast? The DVDs are presented in 16:9. I didn't have HDTV when it aired. Is a Blu-ray possible?
Old 11-25-10, 11:15 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: ALIAS to Blu-ray?

TV on BD is not selling well. And catalog TV on BD is even worse. And Disney is not really releasing much on BD. So no....

They had a chance when Lost was on the air, but now, good luck.
Old 11-25-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
TV on BD is not selling well. And catalog TV on BD is even worse. And Disney is not really releasing much on BD. So no....

Which is sad. Such a great show. And....a good looking show. Would have looked fantastic on BD. Here's hope J.J. makes an "Alias" film one day.
Old 11-26-10, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm holding out hope. I know for a fact that I would purchase an Alias Complete Series Blu-ray set. Surely there are other Alias fans who feel the same way. It's my second favorite series after Lost and I think that at least some decent sales would be had by re-releasing Alias on Blu-ray.
Old 11-26-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GenPion
I'm holding out hope. I know for a fact that I would purchase an Alias Complete Series Blu-ray set. Surely there are other Alias fans who feel the same way.
Absolutely, having Garner in skimpy outfits in HD is definitely at the top of my most wanted Blu-Rays. I even like some of the admittedly awful final season.
Old 11-26-10, 10:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GenPion
I'm holding out hope. I know for a fact that I would purchase an Alias Complete Series Blu-ray set. Surely there are other Alias fans who feel the same way. It's my second favorite series after Lost and I think that at least some decent sales would be had by re-releasing Alias on Blu-ray.
I'm sure there are lots of fans of The Wiggles too, but that doesn't mean it'll get a BD release

The main problem with Catalog BD is why would consumers spend $40-$50 a Season when they can spend $10-$15 for the DVD. I'm shocked we even got the first two Seasons of Supernatural.

Maybe if Alias gets that reboot or a movie?
Old 11-26-10, 10:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Wiggles was filmed in HD?

I loved the entire series of Alias, despite the lackluster finale, but I have hope it'll eventually see the light of day. Abrams has always supported the format, and I believe he spoke to that with the Lost set. So despite the slow BD releases and sales of other series, if he went to ABC and asked they be released, I'm sure that would kick it into an eventual release. I do remember there was talk about a possible reboot of the series, so maybe that's what would be needed to get the release.
Old 11-26-10, 10:50 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Wiggles was filmed in HD?

I loved the entire series of Alias, despite the lackluster finale, but I have hope it'll eventually see the light of day. Abrams has always supported the format, and I believe he spoke to that with the Lost set. So despite the slow BD releases and sales of other series, if he went to ABC and asked they be released, I'm sure that would kick it into an eventual release. I do remember there was talk about a possible reboot of the series, so maybe that's what would be needed to get the release.
Abrams has no say in what comes out on Blu-ray. Disney owns the show, not him. They would rather do it with his input, but it's not required (unlike some Spielberg/Lucas stuff). I'm sure everyone would love INSERT SHOW to hit Blu-ray so they could collect royalties off of it, but chances of that happening now are very slim. Alias had it's shot when Lost hit BD, but right now, all of Abrams shows look to be gone by April (Undercovers is canceled, Fringe is likely a goner - even though the BD sells fairly well for WB).
Old 11-26-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I've just started re-watching the series on DVD. Was it all shot for HD broadcast?
As far as this question goes, yes the show was broadcast in HD from Day 1.

I would buy the first two seasons, but none after that. The show took a dramatic nosedive with the first episode of the third season and never recovered.
Old 11-26-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I would buy the first two seasons, but none after that. The show took a dramatic nosedive with the first episode of the third season and never recovered.
Ditto.

And whatever resolution you come up with for the season 2 cliff-hanger on your own is bound to be better than how it ended up playing out.
Old 11-26-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much of this is due to the fact that studios aren't committing to releasing series. I know for me it's great to get new seasons on BD, but pisses me off that I have to have previous ones on DVD only.

My big wait is for Buffy and Angel to hit Blu. The only possibly positive side effect of a crap reboot is maybe getting it upgraded. (My feelings for a new version of Fright Night too, btw).
Old 11-26-10, 06:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrsl76
How much of this is due to the fact that studios aren't committing to releasing series. I know for me it's great to get new seasons on BD, but pisses me off that I have to have previous ones on DVD only.

My big wait is for Buffy and Angel to hit Blu. The only possibly positive side effect of a crap reboot is maybe getting it upgraded. (My feelings for a new version of Fright Night too, btw).
Well, why would a studio to commit to bringing previous Seasons to BD if the current Season isn't selling well? That's the problem. Even with popular shows like Smallville, the previous 5 Seasons are not on BD because of fear they won't sell (and S1, I heard, is in really bad shape). Warner expiremented with Supernatural S1 (and soon S2) with a lower MSRP, and it seems to have worked. But other studios don't care.

In many cases, why would consumers spend $40-$50 for a catalog Season when the DVD is sub $10? Makes little sense. You and I might, but most consumers won't.

And Buffy/Angel is a long shot. Angel has Season 2-5 shot in Widescreen, while Buffy is in 4:3 (It IS in Widescreen...but Joss does not like it and it was not framed as such). The chances are slim. I'd love a 'Once More with Feeling' BD release though. That is Widescreen
Old 11-26-10, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Others beat me to it: Is anyone releasing catalog TV on BD other than old seasons of Supernatural, which is at least still on the air? We've heard talk of Smallville, West Wing, and Friends, but nothing yet, and of course we're still expecting Seinfeld.

And Disney doesn't even release Desperate Housewives on BD, which would seem like a natural except for the demographic.
Old 11-26-10, 07:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by davidh777
Others beat me to it: Is anyone releasing catalog TV on BD other than old seasons of Supernatural, which is at least still on the air? We've heard talk of Smallville, West Wing, and Friends, but nothing yet, and of course we're still expecting Seinfeld.

And Disney doesn't even release Desperate Housewives on BD, which would seem like a natural except for the demographic.
No, not really. Universal is (BSG) because they released the Complete Series first. But otherwise nope.

Warner halted Sopranos (again) because of poor sales for Season 1 and 1.5.
Old 11-26-10, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

No, not really. Universal is (BSG) because they released the Complete Series first. But otherwise nope.

Warner halted Sopranos (again) because of poor sales for Season 1 and 1.5.
You remind me that HBO did release Deadwood.
Old 11-26-10, 08:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by davidh777
You remind me that HBO did release Deadwood.
In a Complete series set only.
Old 11-27-10, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Absolutely, having Garner in skimpy outfits in HD is definitely at the top of my most wanted Blu-Rays. I even like some of the admittedly awful final season.
Oh, I absolutely agree about Jennifer Garner -- I especially want to see that scene from Season 2 that opened with ACDC's Back in Black in High Definition. I'm sure you know the one.

As for the show itself, the final season was really disappointing overall but still decent enough in comparison to most other TV show's. It definitely wasn't on par with the first four years and it was the only season where things weren't really clicking for me overall, but yeah, it still had it's moments throughout. I liked the finale but wasn't satisfied by it like I was with Lost's finale (especially upon re-watching both) and yet it doesn't change my opinion on the show overall. I honestly cannot name another series in it's genre that entertained me more.
Old 11-27-10, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm sure there are lots of fans of The Wiggles too, but that doesn't mean it'll get a BD release
This is a bad comparison for many reasons. I usually don't opt for this response, but I don't think that needs any explanation from me at all. As for Alias hitting Blu-ray... I don't think a reboot or film is necessary. I'll simply remain patient in hoping that one day such a release will arrive.
Old 11-28-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsl76
How much of this is due to the fact that studios aren't committing to releasing series.
TV on DVD sales bottomed out when the economy faltered. People realized that they were spending a lot of money on expensive box sets that they never got around to actually watching more than an episode or two. The fact that those same episodes routinely pop up in cable syndication and are available from a variety of online streaming sources just rubbed salt in the wound.